AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-21, 00:55   Link #641
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I think this argument is not so much about deriving pleasure from watching an anime, but about deriving pleasure from trying to ruin it for the people that do.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 02:00   Link #642
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The town where Copernicus was born.
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think this argument is not so much about deriving pleasure from watching an anime, but about deriving pleasure from trying to ruin it for the people that do.
If I can ruin the pleasure people have when watching this anime just by pointing out obvious flaws (no, I'm not imagining apples falling from a tree that could KO the killer-boar for example, and there were many even more stupid things in this anime) then it means this anime wasn't that good in the first place. Seriously, how can I do that? And like I said, if you're so easily influenced by what others say or you're hurt that I've criticized anime you like (lol) add me to your ignore list and everyone should be happy.

[Let's not loose our cool]

Last edited by monir; 2011-12-21 at 02:26.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 02:07   Link #643
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
I have a friend who so hates the 2011 version over the 1999 version that kept telling a fan of the 2011 version to watch the 1999 version. The 2011 fan went to watch all of 1999 show through the badge hunting. She actually liked it all and is now a fan of both versions. Ship filler and all.

To orion: The point is that people who will continuously rant and have nothing good to say won't listen to you if you tell them that they "need" to do something. They won't listen. You turn them off from whatever you want them to hear. If they haven't gotten a clue that yes the violence will just have to be censored given its timeslot and the times by now, they won't be getting it later.

For whether or not to drop a series a person dislikes: Whenever people talk about a series to discuss why they dislike it, a lot people will always say "Did you even watch it?" If they say no they stopped, the others will obviously say that they need to have watched more. But then if they do watch and dislike it, people will also say they should just drop it so obviously sometimes a person will just have to choose one way or another. It always seemed better to continue to watch a series and dislike it over stopping and disliking.
Only if you want to get into pointless arguments about cartoons. (Heck, do you actually need to watch the material if that's your goal?)

Otherwise, the better thing to do is drop the series and argument both, and find something you actually like.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 02:35   Link #644
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
If I can ruin the pleasure people have when watching this anime just by pointing out obvious flaws (no, I'm not imagining apples falling from a tree that could KO the killer-boar for example, and there were many even more stupid things in this anime) then it means this anime wasn't that good in the first place. Seriously, how can I do that? And like I said, if you're so easily influenced by what others say or you're hurt that I've criticized anime you like (lol) add me to your ignore list and everyone should be happy.

[Let's not loose our cool]
Note the use of the word "trying" in my post...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 03:15   Link #645
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
New viewer here, and I like it a lot. I'm enjoying the fact that a lot of stuff is presented in a very subtle way, and the audience isn't being hit over the head with what they're supposed to think. I enjoy that the focus has been on mind-screwing rather than battles, and that it hasn't shied away from showing some fairly grim stuff. I like the slow build of each character, and how all of the main four represent a very different approach with their own strengths and weaknesses. And I like how Gon is presented not as a bland shounen hero, but as a kind of wild animal who isn't remotely bothered by some of the chilling things he sees.

It hasn't been perfect, but I've enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was very ballsy and clever to use "bored" as the eyecatch for the last episode - most series (espeically shounen) wouldn't have dared to spend the entire first half showing everyone pissing each other off in what looked like a motel room. But you learn a lot about characters in a situation like that, and I think we did, if the viewer was willing to look.
Hey there Enjo! Haven't talked to you in a bit. It is very good to know that you are enjoying this show. When I was watching HxH there weren't many that could warm up to the show for various reasons. And then there were viewers who had the opportunity to watch it, but couldn't even get through this examination stage primarily because of the slow (for me it was gentle) pacing. So the fanbase who had actually saw the entire series were already special just because it didn't exceed more than the total number of few sets of fingers and toes. So I'm very delighted to see how so many people are flocking to this show in the present thanks to the re-do. I'm not going to say this version thus far has improved upon the older one, but that point is moot as far as the discussion is concerned in regards to this show. What matters is that the show that I once loved and thought it wasn't receiving much attention from the fanbase, is now adored by many many fans thanks to this remaking. I'm very glad that this story is finally getting the much deserved exposure from the anime fans. As long as you guys are enjoying it is all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
If I can ruin the pleasure people have when watching this anime just by pointing out obvious flaws (no, I'm not imagining apples falling from a tree that could KO the killer-boar for example, and there were many even more stupid things in this anime) then it means this anime wasn't that good in the first place. Seriously, how can I do that? And like I said, if you're so easily influenced by what others say or you're hurt that I've criticized anime you like (lol) add me to your ignore list and everyone should be happy.
Words are powerful. The one thing that I've learned and appreciated about ASuki is that the people here try to respond to you according to how you lay down your thoughts. It's pretty flattering in my opinion because it means they are not only reading you, but also trying to understand your thought process. I don't know if I want to be ignored by anyone when I take the time to write down my thoughts. That aside, I know you will agree with me when I say this show is finally getting its due exposure from larger fanbase. I also think few people will get what we are trying to convey about the older series, especially if a viewer is watching this show for the first time. A crude example would be a human born and raised in Mars under the red sky when his parents are from the earth. The parents can talk about the essence of a briliant blue sky all they want, but it won't matter much to him... well unless, he somehow discovers on his own the essence of the brilliance of a blue sky. I told you it was going to be crude ( ), but the point still stands.

If you still want to do a measured and constructive comparison to highlight what is this new version is lacking and what captured those few fans of the older version, then perhaps reviving the old HunterxHunter thread would be a worthy cause. This way you may even persuade a few fans to watch the older version. What we definitely don't want is to come across as if the old fanbase of HxH is here to get in the way of the enjoyment of the newer fanbase.

Anyway, I think we have spent enough time on this matter, so let's return to discussing the show.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 11:14   Link #646
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
^I agree with monir. Ignoring someone is not nice.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 11:42   Link #647
TheKage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
In regards to the actual show, of course I don't know for sure yet (I can't read the summaries) if it's really a recap or not but the preview seemed to imply it. Anyone else feel that it's not really needed? There is enough source material that it doesn't need it...

... or maybe I'm just impatient for the hunter exam to continue.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 15:11   Link #648
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
In regards to the actual show, of course I don't know for sure yet (I can't read the summaries) if it's really a recap or not but the preview seemed to imply it. Anyone else feel that it's not really needed? There is enough source material that it doesn't need it...

... or maybe I'm just impatient for the hunter exam to continue.
Maybe it has something to do with the TV schedule. Something that is going to cause an episode to be delayed in the future at a bad time in the plot so they do an episode to correct the problem early.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 18:12   Link #649
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Hey there Enjo! Haven't talked to you in a bit. It is very good to know that you are enjoying this show. When I was watching HxH there weren't many that could warm up to the show for various reasons. And then there were viewers who had the opportunity to watch it, but couldn't even get through this examination stage primarily because of the slow (for me it was gentle) pacing. So the fanbase who had actually saw the entire series were already special just because it didn't exceed more than the total number of few sets of fingers and toes. So I'm very delighted to see how so many people are flocking to this show in the present thanks to the re-do. I'm not going to say this version thus far has improved upon the older one, but that point is moot as far as the discussion is concerned in regards to this show. What matters is that the show that I once loved and thought it wasn't receiving much attention from the fanbase, is now adored by many many fans thanks to this remaking. I'm very glad that this story is finally getting the much deserved exposure from the anime fans. As long as you guys are enjoying it is all that matters.

Anyway, I think we have spent enough time on this matter, so let's return to discussing the show.
The fact that it was you asking was the reason I responded, TBH. Certain people have really managed to drag the tone of this thread into the sewer and that's a shame, because it's exactly what those posters want. It's nice to have an opportunity to discuss the series with someone not interested in all that BS.

The funny thing is, it really seems from everything I've read that this show is sticking closer to the manga that the 1999 show did.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 20:05   Link #650
Simonsy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
If I can ruin the pleasure people have when watching this anime just by pointing out obvious flaws (no, I'm not imagining apples falling from a tree that could KO the killer-boar for example, and there were many even more stupid things in this anime) then it means this anime wasn't that good in the first place. Seriously, how can I do that? And like I said, if you're so easily influenced by what others say or you're hurt that I've criticized anime you like (lol) add me to your ignore list and everyone should be happy.

[Let's not loose our cool]
You don't ruin the show for people, you ruin the forums for people.

People watch shows they LIKE, and then want to talk to people about that show. If all they see in the forum is people non stop bashing and what not a show, they will ignore that topic and never look in there or move to a new forum where people also enjoy the show like them.

There are plenty of forums you can find where people will bitch about the new hunter series, so why don't you go and bitch with them? Or is it you find pleasure in dissing something others like to them?

You are a troll if all you do is diss something all the time.

I have left plenty of forums because I found it ended up being people just trolling left and right and its no fun. I like this forum, because it seems most people genuinely just like watching anime here. People like you on the other hand make me tempted to leave.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 20:54   Link #651
TheKage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The funny thing is, it really seems from everything I've read that this show is sticking closer to the manga that the 1999 show did.
It certainly hasn't had the filler segments that the 1999 version had. There's a few parts that have been removed or edited but it's not as much as what the 1999 version had added into the show or its tonal changes (that you can't really tell when you aren't a native or fluent reader) which Toto y Moi has very graciously provided for us all in the comparisons. Very appreciated, thank you!

It's just my unlucky bias that the parts that were removed or edited had been my favorite parts in the manga. @_@;

I don't remember if they have or not, but have they clarified Mito's relationship to Gon or is she just seen as the mother figure for now? Wondering if this series will keep her relationship the same as it was in the manga or if it'll be another anime-only revision. My assumption from the preview is that Gon is writing a letter to Mito as a tool for the recap.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 21:05   Link #652
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
People watch shows they LIKE, and then want to talk to people about that show. If all they see in the forum is people non stop bashing and what not a show, they will ignore that topic and never look in there or move to a new forum where people also enjoy the show like them.
Sadly enough it seems that you're still subject to this type of censoring even if you're on the other end of the spectrum. Because you see I actually got negative reputation the other day for "defending a show (Fate/Zero) from criticism too much". So clearly the issue here is not just a one sided "Stop bashing a show I like" so much as a "Stop defending a viewpoint that's opposite of mine because I don't like to have my views on a show's quality or lack thereof being challenged" Basically it doesn't matter if one is praising or criticising a show, people just don't want to have to deal with different opinions and seem to expect a homogeneous haven where everyone agrees and no arguments arise out of this place. Now obviously there's a difference between constructive criticism and mean-spirited bashing, but attempting to ostracise a fellow member just because they're vocalising a different viewpoint on a show still doesn't seem like an ideal solution to me.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 23:32   Link #653
Simonsy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Sadly enough it seems that you're still subject to this type of censoring even if you're on the other end of the spectrum. Because you see I actually got negative reputation the other day for "defending a show (Fate/Zero) from criticism too much". So clearly the issue here is not just a one sided "Stop bashing a show I like" so much as a "Stop defending a viewpoint that's opposite of mine because I don't like to have my views on a show's quality or lack thereof being challenged" Basically it doesn't matter if one is praising or criticising a show, people just don't want to have to deal with different opinions and seem to expect a homogeneous haven where everyone agrees and no arguments arise out of this place. Now obviously there's a difference between constructive criticism and mean-spirited bashing, but attempting to ostracise a fellow member just because they're vocalising a different viewpoint on a show still doesn't seem like an ideal solution to me.
Theres a difference between constructive criticism and just straight up bitching.

He could come in week in and week out and just straight up say how horrible it was, pointing out a couple things at most.

Sorry but if every week someone comes in to only say "shit, shit, shit" I find that in no way a "DIFFERENT OPINION" I find that just a shitty poster and not needed.

I'm fine discussing why something was better or worse than before, but you can't do that with a troll who's sole reason for posting is to just BASH. He doesn't want to discuss, he just wants to bash.

He has to realize HIS point of view is ALSO an opinion. He states it, likes it's a fact and anyone thinking otherwise is a complete idiot. I have been reading these episode COMPARISONS week in and week out, and there is one thing I have noticed in them. More often than not the new series has been faithful to the manga COMPARED to the 1999 series. The new series has also had WAY LESS filler than the old series. Strangely these are the two areas he is bitching about the most. THat the new series changed things, or added filler. Hard to take him seriously when those "CHANGES" happen to be faithful to the manga, versus the 1999 version being different, or the fact that we have had 1/5 of the filler the old series had.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 06:44   Link #654
ditn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Wow lots of steam in here.
I have seen the 1999 and the 2011 version and i try to seperate them from each other.
To me comparing 2 times the same anime will always lead to heavy arguments and enjoy spoiling
.
I just like both versions as they are and dont try to compare,that way i can enjoy both anime's
__________________
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 12:43   Link #655
TheKage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
.......
Indeed, and I've seen a few people who just said that they liked the 1999 version without bashing the 2011 version get called nostalgiaf*gs. :/

I was really hoping not to see that type of stuff in the HxH fandom and it came in full force, hopefully people can get past that and see that opinions are opinions for a reason. As long as HxH is getting the respect and following it deserves, I'm happy.

Last edited by monir; 2011-12-22 at 12:52. Reason: quote removed
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 12:54   Link #656
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Okay, that's enough. The unavoidable fact is you will have to play with each other if you want to post in forums, hence, finding common ground is crucial. We are done with this topic, so let's move on.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 06:44   Link #657
rinichan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I couldnt fin Toto y weekly review is it late. Sorry to ask.
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 09:29   Link #658
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Finally, they served out their time!
Decisions, decisions, decisions...
Well, that was a close one!
Great episode ^^
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 17:48   Link #659
Kakashi
カカシ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Just watched a handful of episodes, it took me a while to adjust to the new elements (like many here, watched the 1999 series), but overall it's been quite enjoyable. I pretty much forgot the most of the minor details from the first series so I'm simply guaging overall feel for each episode.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 06:43   Link #660
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Well, this one was one huge filler.
Would have skipped it if I had known.
It was a summary of the previous 12 episodes.
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.