AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-23, 16:13   Link #721
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I love what the 2011 did with that last screenshot of Gon inside the tree.
I agree. Solid development in just one little scene. Very powerful.
Old 2012-01-23, 16:49   Link #722
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*sigh* Once again the achilles heel for this remake seems to be the music for me.

Particularly the Hisoka scene in this case, I like what this version does compared to the old one. The change in art style gives a sense of alienness to Hisoka and emphasizes just how out of this world he is. And that dull "huhhh" when Gon stole his badge shows just how much of a bloodlust high he was in.

But the music... it just wasn't of the same level. It was... almost a calm theme, it had far to little tension for what the scene conveys. The 1980's series music was far more goosebump-invoking, which was precisely what this scene was meant to do.

Great visuals, lacking music seems to be a pattern of this series. Or at least for me.
Old 2012-01-23, 19:44   Link #723
Vicious108

The original anime did have a great soundtrack, but I think the tracks in this version's episode were no slouch either. Mostly well placed too, aside from that questionable "pause and play" spamming of what's apparently Hisoka's theme.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 21:19   Link #724
NJZanDatsu

I really liked the piano track that was played at the end of the episode.
NJZanDatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 13:54   Link #725
rinichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter episode 16 comparison:
Thanks for the comparison but are we missing some of the earlier episodes, If I'm not wrong you forgot to compare 13~15? Are you still gonna do that?
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 09:10   Link #726
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Caught up with this last night. Fell in love with Kurapika. Watching till the end, definitely.
fanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 10:57   Link #727
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 17:
Old 2012-01-29, 11:29   Link #728
ookamigirl

Killua finally got his turn.
The snake trap was pretty interesting & dangerous.
Wonder how they'll get out of that one..
Nice episode.

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 11:36   Link #729
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

So I wasn't patient enough when waiting for this episode and ended up reading Killua's chapter, but it was nice seeing it animated, even though the episode felt slow. The part where the bald guy catches the wrong tag was hilarious. Also, I can't get rid of this feeling that Leorio's been a bit useless so far, I really hope he turns out to be usefully competent at something, eventually.
fanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 14:01   Link #730
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Killua really had an easy time of it. Those brother's never stood a chance and picked a fight beyond their abilities. Worked out pretty well that the brother of the foolish guy following him had the tag he needed. Nice trick he played as well with throwing the tags away.

What an annoying trap though. If they can't break out they are pretty much going to starve in there. I'd assume Ponzu killed the old guy, but only after the trap had already been set. Could have been her target, but regardless the old guy gets the last laugh. What a stupid trap though. What's the point of something that only keeps people from leaving? It can't protect him and in the worst case like this he'll die. Sure can take the opponent with him, but that can't be much comfort. Some potential behind it since they'd have to leave their tags in order to leave, but too risky.

Do wonder how Leorio is going to pass now. All they can do is make a deal to help Ponzu get out with them if she gives up her tag. Going to be some guilt for Leorio that he dragged those two into this mess.
Old 2012-01-29, 15:07   Link #731
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
this was a total surprise! despite overly simple animation and barely likable characters (they're still basically just archetypes), i couldn't get enough of the story)). i love tests aand puzzles in my anime, but i didn't think they could make them interesting. (Phi brain failed)

and you see, i'm...wait for it...a skateboarder. so when i saw the guy with the skateboard do a full cab FS flip in the OP, my jaw dropped and i proceeded to rewatch the trick like 10 times. skateboards are rare in anime for some reason.
anyway, i'm watching the show to see what he'll do with his skateboard as much as for the plot.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!

Last edited by idiffer; 2012-01-29 at 16:11.
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 17:36   Link #732
Vicious108

The Hanzo gag was much funnier in the manga, where it came about due to the guy's bad luck and poor instincts alone, rather than Killua going out of his way to screw him.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 18:29   Link #733
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Catching up. These next few are going to be more comprehensive than prior comparisons, so bear with me. The reason why this is so is because I haven't really focused on the differences between the scripts of the series, which might be a problem. Episode 14 will be done in two parts. Probably 15 too, I think? I have to check my notes.

Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 14 Comparison Pt. 1:

That's it for part 1. I'll post part 2 as soon as someone creates a buffer between this post.

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2012-01-29 at 20:28.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 18:56   Link #734
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Thanks again Toto, another great job.
Old 2012-01-29, 19:03   Link #735
Frijolitos

I am enjoying this series so far...the gang is great and good to see them get tripped up at times and not slide easy all the way to home base. Never watched the original although it was my intention to do so until I read it was a re-make for 2011; glad I waited. Gon is my favorite so far, but I love the evil and cunning Hosaka as well and glad he too, sees that Gon has what it takes. Looking forward to more.
Leorio, as others have stated here, seems to be lacking whatever it takes to shine, maybe later, we get to see what he's made of?
Frijolitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 19:17   Link #736
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
What an annoying trap though. If they can't break out they are pretty much going to starve in there.
The examiners are supposed to rescue the losers once the time is up. They can eat snakes in the meantime, I guess.

Quote:
I'd assume Ponzu killed the old guy, but only after the trap had already been set. Could have been her target, but regardless the old guy gets the last laugh. What a stupid trap though. What's the point of something that only keeps people from leaving? It can't protect him and in the worst case like this he'll die. Sure can take the opponent with him, but that can't be much comfort. Some potential behind it since they'd have to leave their tags in order to leave, but too risky.
It's not like he'd planned on dying. He no doubt had other tricks up his sleeve.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 19:37   Link #737
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
The Hanzo gag was much funnier in the manga, where it came about due to the guy's bad luck and poor instincts alone, rather than Killua going out of his way to screw him.
I think they're are bit of the same level of bad luck.

But in the manga, they didn't spend time on Hanzo chasing after the tag. It just happened, which really hits you; the execution(?) is what made the difference I think.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 23:23   Link #738
Tsukou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*sigh* Once again the achilles heel for this remake seems to be the music for me.

Particularly the Hisoka scene in this case, I like what this version does compared to the old one. The change in art style gives a sense of alienness to Hisoka and emphasizes just how out of this world he is. And that dull "huhhh" when Gon stole his badge shows just how much of a bloodlust high he was in.

But the music... it just wasn't of the same level. It was... almost a calm theme, it had far to little tension for what the scene conveys. The 1980's series music was far more goosebump-invoking, which was precisely what this scene was meant to do.

Great visuals, lacking music seems to be a pattern of this series. Or at least for me.
I have to say while the art style is obviously very well done, I have to 100% agree with you on the music. It takes all the tension out, and just sounds weird to me. I don't really understand the direction.

And it doesn't help that I enjoy the original's VA over his current. Hisoka's insanity just doesn't come out, instead I feel like he's focusing on him being a darker/assassin character, than a light-hearted insane/playful type of character. It just doesn't sit well with me, it also doesn't help that this and the fact with the music, makes me disappointed, considering Hisoka is probably my favorite character in the series.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 23:36   Link #739
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 14 Comparison Pt. 2:
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 06:25   Link #740
rinichan

Quote:
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 14 Comparison Pt. 2:
Quote:
Catching up. These next few are going to be more comprehensive than prior comparisons, so bear with me. The reason why this is so is because I haven't really focused on the differences between the scripts of the series, which might be a problem. Episode 14 will be done in two parts. Probably 15 too, I think? I have to check my notes.

Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 14 Comparison Pt. 1:

That's it for part 1. I'll post part 2 as soon as someone creates a buffer between this post.
excellent review and comparison thanks... The long review is worth reading...
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen