AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-08, 18:28   Link #761
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
he's wearing Geretta's hat--it's intended to be cute.
Seriously...? You know, I've chosen to ignore your reviews for the longest time now because your enormous bias against the original anime became very apparent very early on (and I actually feel kind of sorry for the people who haven't watched it but are clearly being swayed against it by your not-so-objective reviews here), but that one's a little too much. A guy who's known to be a bloodthirsty killer shows up with another participant's piece of clothing, which happens to be swarmed by butterflies who are attracted to the stench of blood, and it's supposed to be cute? After they went through the trouble of making the scene take place at night in order to make it more grim and somber in tone?

It's not supposed to be cute. And it isn't. It's one of the subtleties that you love so much when the current anime does it - instead of just doing the standard and showing the dead body, they make it clear he's been dealt with by Hisoka through other means, which fit the latter's creepy and unsettling persona. Don't you have enough ammunition against the original anime as it is? Why grasp at straws and go for senseless potshots like that?
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 18:51   Link #762
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Seriously...? You know, I've chosen to ignore your reviews for the longest time now because your enormous bias against the original anime became very apparent very early on (and I actually feel kind of sorry for the people who haven't watched it but are clearly being swayed against it by your not-so-objective reviews here), but that one's a little too much. A guy who's known to be a bloodthirsty killer shows up with another participant's piece of clothing, which happens to be swarmed by butterflies who are attracted to the stench of blood, and it's supposed to be cute? After they went through the trouble of making the scene take place at night in order to make it more grim and somber in tone?

It's not supposed to be cute. And it isn't. It's one of the subtleties that you love so much when the current anime does it - instead of just doing the standard and showing the dead body, they make it clear he's been dealt with by Hisoka through other means, which fit the latter's creepy and unsettling persona. Don't you have enough ammunition against the original anime as it is? Why grasp at straws and go for senseless potshots like that?
I'm surprised that you consider what I've said to be an insult against the 1999 series--especially since I never intended it to be this way. Hisoka does cute things throughout the series regardless of the adaptation. The way he speaks to Gon is "cute" in the manga/2011 series, while being contrasted by the dead Geretta right next to him. Him wearing the hat is also a contrast between a grim action and a cute action--Hisoka liked Geretta's hat enough to steal it off of his body. But the fact that he chose to wear it in the first place is "cute" not only because it looks silly on him, but shows his taste in clothing (in the 1999 series).

I think you might be looking into this too much; there are numerous instances in this past comparison in which I both praise the 1999 series and criticize the 2011 series (vice-versa as well). If you disagree with anything that I've said, come forth and say it--or try to combat my points. I put a lot of work into these comparisons and I'm not going to censor myself because you don't like what I have to say.

I'll go into this as we start to learn more about Hisoka, but I think fans do a great disservice to him by defining him solely as a "bloodthirsty killer" or "creepy magician." This is a grown man who ends his sentences in hearts. I think it might help you to understand his character a little better if you read an official translation of the manga.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 19:37   Link #763
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
I'm surprised that you consider what I've said to be an insult against the 1999 series--especially since I never intended it to be this way.
You really don't see how that line might appear to be a negative assessment of the show? The usage of "supposed" clearly implies that it didn't really succeed at what it was trying to do. And then you go on to praise the 2011 series' unsettling tone for the scene, which is exactly what the 1999 series was going for with the hat. So yeah, to me it's pretty clear that was intended as one of many insults, or at best really patronizing praise.

Quote:
I think you might be looking into this too much; there are numerous instances in this past comparison in which I both praise the 1999 series and criticize the 2011 series (vice-versa as well). If you disagree with anything that I've said, come forth and say it--or try to combat my points.
I just did. Can't be bothered to do it for every little thing though, since ultimately I only care so much that someone on the Internet is attempting to partially destroy the reputation of a series I greatly enjoyed. Mostly I did it because it's quite clear that there are people out there who've never even watched the original anime adaptation, but have convinced themselves they're watching the superior version with this 2011 adaptation based solely on your (in my view) rather one-sided reviews.

But I'm afraid you're a lot more devoted towards and willing to spend more time on defending your preferred version than I am, so I'll just leave it at the issue of your assessment of the 1999 series' decision to have Hisoka wear Geretta's hat.

Quote:
I'll go into this as we start to learn more about Hisoka, but I think fans do a great disservice to him by defining him solely as a "bloodthirsty killer" or "creepy magician." This is a grown man who ends his sentences in hearts. I think it might help you to understand his character a little better if you read an official translation of the manga.
Great, now you're being patronizing not towards the 1999 anime, but towards me. Look, Hisoka's my favourite character in the series, I know what he's like. I've read through the manga twice (admittedly not the official translations, but then again I don't give Viz Media enough credit for it to make a significant difference) and watched both anime adaptations. Just because I described him as a bloodthirsty killer in that particular sentence doesn't mean I believe that encapsulates his entire being. He's a multidimensional and multifaceted character, if I had to refer every single aspect of his individual every time I brought him up I would never get to the point.

Look, I'm aware of what your main problem with the 1999 series is (at least I believe that I am, but go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong). You believe it made everything more black and white, instead of staying true to the open minded moral stance displayed in the manga. But unless you actually believe that Hisoka's not bloodthirsty or that he doesn't kill (in which case you would obviously be wrong), I see no reason as to why I need to educate myself on his character before engaging in a conversation about him with you.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 20:10   Link #764
lordkas
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
wow some people have to take off their nostalgia sunglasses and stop being a bunch of whiners
lordkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 20:32   Link #765
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
I want to say the group of 4 passes, but if its a fighter's bracket doesn't that mean only 1 winner?
I assumed what he meant was that if you won your particular matchup then you passed rather than everyone but one person failing. But suppose its true that you could look at this in a variety of ways. It could be a combination of test of character and a test of skill. Say someone takes a loss to let a friend pass they might also pass because of that, but who the heck knows. Well other than people who have seen the manga and original series .
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 00:20   Link #766
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I'm stunned by how personally some fans of the '99 series take it when someone likes the 2011 version too. It's like the parents are divorced and Mom brought home a new boyfriend.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 00:53   Link #767
leokiko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
2011 has been better. But...... What stood out for me so far is the art style and the atmosphere. Too colorful, I feel that there won't be enought tension on York Shin arc. But who knows, so far so good at least.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 01:01   Link #768
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm stunned by how personally some fans of the '99 series take it when someone likes the 2011 version too. It's like the parents are divorced and Mom brought home a new boyfriend.
Don't you think it's about time you stop beating on the strawman? I'm the only "99' fan" that's given a piece of his mind since your last post, so clearly you're talking about me. Just address me clearly next time instead of hiding behind "some fans".

I like the 2011 version too. I've given it almost nothing but praise since episode 6. What I'm arguing against here is people like you, who haven't even watched the 99' series but believe they're in the know and are watching the superior version thanks to Toto's comparisons and nothing else.

I understand that you want to feel a sense of loyalty towards the version you're experiencing for the first time, but the fact is that the 99' series did some things very well and Toto here is stepping all over them and convincing you all that the 2011 series is undoubtedly the superior version, when the 99' series had some great episodes as well which I feel people are missing out on by neglecting it in favour of the 2011 version.

Oh well, I know I've watched all of HxH, so I can be sure of all of the different version's merits. If you wish to blindly defend the most modern version's merits without even being aware of the previous ones', so be it.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 01:18   Link #769
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Honestly, I had no intention of directly addressing you - maybe my perception is off, but I seem to recall more than a few posters expressing similar opinions to yours. I was remarking more on the intensity of feeling in general than anything specific to what you posted earlier today.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 05:17   Link #770
LittleLilly
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Hi, this is my first post here. First off all, I wanted to say thank you so much to Toto y Moi for your comparisons. I'm a fan of both the original anime, manga and the remake, but I also see the flaws in all of them, so it makes me happy that I'm not the only one who writes them down. There are a few mistakes in the remake that I wanted to point out (I don't think I've seen anyone point these out, but if I'm repeating something, then I apologize).

Spoiler for episodes:


Random: What is up with Hisoka and Illumi's nails? There is no reason at all for them to have long and pointy ones (unless they're going to go around scratching people to death). I can understand why the japanse fans makes fun of it XD (like this fan art, lol).

Spoiler for pic:


And another thing: I realized when watching the OP just how much the original anime had changed Killua's personality... and I think it's a bit funny (and ironic) that when Killua appears in the OP, the lyrics goes "you can smile again"...

Spoiler for pic2:

Last edited by LittleLilly; 2012-02-09 at 05:31.
LittleLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 05:41   Link #771
ZODDGUTS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Personally found it more emotional when Gon got punched out by Hisoka in the old version. Seeing him struggle with he's body to get into a safe place after that punch in the old version had me in man tears.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 07:14   Link #772
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
I like the 2011 version too. I've given it almost nothing but praise since episode 6. What I'm arguing against here is people like you, who haven't even watched the 99' series but believe they're in the know and are watching the superior version thanks to Toto's comparisons and nothing else.

I understand that you want to feel a sense of loyalty towards the version you're experiencing for the first time, but the fact is that the 99' series did some things very well and Toto here is stepping all over them and convincing you all that the 2011 series is undoubtedly the superior version, when the 99' series had some great episodes as well which I feel people are missing out on by neglecting it in favour of the 2011 version.

Oh well, I know I've watched all of HxH, so I can be sure of all of the different version's merits. If you wish to blindly defend the most modern version's merits without even being aware of the previous ones', so be it.
Oh please, 99 fan here and even I can tell you have your nostalgia goggles strapped on too tight. Toto's been quite fair to both versions here, giving credit where credit is due.

It amuses me that you accuse someone of bias while yours is quite more obvious here.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 07:23   Link #773
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
I'll second that. Toto has been 100% fair with those comparison posts. Not once has he/she said anything bad towards the original series, just pointing out the differences.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 08:06   Link #774
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Getting there
Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
hehe both has its charms.. though i kinda want the 2011 version a more darker tone XD
__________________
Ravenblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 08:51   Link #775
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Oh please, 99 fan here and even I can tell you have your nostalgia goggles strapped on too tight. Toto's been quite fair to both versions here, giving credit where credit is due.

It amuses me that you accuse someone of bias while yours is quite more obvious here.
The "nostalgia goggles" argument, if one can even call it that, is a pretty sketchy one, since just because a series is old doesn't mean people watched it for the first time when it first came out. Incidentally, the first time I watched the 99' anime was about 3 years ago. I was 20 at the time, so it really doesn't arouse all that much nostalgia in me as of now. So yeah, try again 10 years from now and maybe that convenient excuse will work then.

Regardless, it amuses me that you have to rely on faulty and presumptuous logic like that in order to try and discredit my opinion.

But anyway, it seems like no one can challenge Toto's views here, because if do they're immediately made out to be a villain who can't possibly possess a valid viewpoint, so I'm done addressing her stuff. By all means, continue to perceive her words as the ultimate canon for all that is HxH if it makes you happy.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 11:31   Link #776
Simonsy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Don't you think it's about time you stop beating on the strawman? I'm the only "99' fan" that's given a piece of his mind since your last post, so clearly you're talking about me. Just address me clearly next time instead of hiding behind "some fans".

I like the 2011 version too. I've given it almost nothing but praise since episode 6. What I'm arguing against here is people like you, who haven't even watched the 99' series but believe they're in the know and are watching the superior version thanks to Toto's comparisons and nothing else.

I understand that you want to feel a sense of loyalty towards the version you're experiencing for the first time, but the fact is that the 99' series did some things very well and Toto here is stepping all over them and convincing you all that the 2011 series is undoubtedly the superior version, when the 99' series had some great episodes as well which I feel people are missing out on by neglecting it in favour of the 2011 version.

Oh well, I know I've watched all of HxH, so I can be sure of all of the different version's merits. If you wish to blindly defend the most modern version's merits without even being aware of the previous ones', so be it.
A few things. I don't see why a 2011 only watcher would even care about a comparison. I wouldn't if I hadn't watched 99 version. So I think the whole 2011 only viewers are in the minority.

Second you are not going to win any argument against that person. Its not that we all want the 2011 version to be better or anything like that. Its that this person obviously has put a huge amount of time into each one of his comparisons. He would have to watch each episode, go through each scene, take screen shots, upload, comment ect. Take a couple hours minimum I would say and thats being super on low side. Then to have you come in and say "you are biased and wrong" and when asked to counter his points say you can't be bothered to do it to all and just point out ONE.

And this is a comparison. I don't recall seeing a 2011 wins at the bottom ever. But then you come in and say "your wrong and blind, 1999 wins" Its like being in a debate and someone gives a big long speech and your response is "your wrong" Call names and argue with other factors than actual evidence. You don't counter his points you just say your out to get the 1999 version. Sorry but I'm going to back the person who put genuine time and thought into his COMPARISON, again its not a "who's better", but a comparison versus the guy who is just saying "na-uh your wrong" For the most part they seem like "heres what one did, here's what other did, and here's what manga did" most the time the 2011 version is more similar to manga than 99 version. Somehow you seem to be taking offense to that.

nostalgia? nostalgia can easily be just 3 years. I probably watched the 99 series only a few years ago too for the first time. I look back on it with fond memories, but I'm enjoying the 2011 version and have a hard time rewatching the 99 series.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 11:57   Link #777
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'll second that. Toto has been 100% fair with those comparison posts. Not once has he/she said anything bad towards the original series, just pointing out the differences.
I'll third it. Toto has been pretty fair in my book. I look forward to her comparisons.

Also, this is the farthest that I've gotten consistently in Hunter x Hunter anime. I didn't last long in the 99 version.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 12:26   Link #778
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
The "nostalgia goggles" argument, if one can even call it that, is a pretty sketchy one, since just because a series is old doesn't mean people watched it for the first time when it first came out. Incidentally, the first time I watched the 99' anime was about 3 years ago. I was 20 at the time, so it really doesn't arouse all that much nostalgia in me as of now. So yeah, try again 10 years from now and maybe that convenient excuse will work then.

Regardless, it amuses me that you have to rely on faulty and presumptuous logic like that in order to try and discredit my opinion.

But anyway, it seems like no one can challenge Toto's views here, because if do they're immediately made out to be a villain who can't possibly possess a valid viewpoint, so I'm done addressing her stuff. By all means, continue to perceive her words as the ultimate canon for all that is HxH if it makes you happy.
Oh nonono, you're not getting to play the victim card after insulting people with wild and inaccurate accusations. People aren't ganging up on you because you challenged Toto's views, people are calling you out on making inaccurate claims.

I've watched the same 1999 version as you. Repeatedly. And quite recent too. so I am very much knowledgeable on bot series. I've read the same comparisons as you, yet I see none of your claims. I don't see where Toto claims the entire 2011 version to be the superior version. What I see is Toto saying that the 2011 version follows the manga more closely (which, a few censors aside, is a fact anyone can see), but that is in no way the same as saying the entire series is better.

And nostalgia? Please, there's no minimum time limit for nostalgia. All you need is to be nostalgic towards a show is to have watched a previous version somewhere in the past.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 12:50   Link #779
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
> presumptuously discredits my views by blindly accusing me of only preferring the 1999 version due to nostalgia
> goes on to complain about my alleged "wild and inaccurate accusations"

Keep the hypocrisy coming.

And the reason people are "ganging up" on me is quite simple: white knighting. Which is particularly uncalled for here, because the person they're white knighting is perfectly capable of defending herself.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 13:08   Link #780
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
> presumptuously discredits my views by blindly accusing me of only preferring the 1999 version due to nostalgia
> goes on to complain about my alleged "wild and inaccurate accusations"

Keep the hypocrisy coming.
Indeed I have been hypocritical there, and I will readily admit that. That does not, however, invalidate my point. Your consistent refusal to back up your claims and instead choosing to play the "oh noes, people are ganging up on me" victim card on the other hand, only further debunks your own.

Again, people are not 'ganging up.' They see something wrong, and call you out on it. You claim to be right? Then prove you are right.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.