AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2004-03-31, 00:33   Link #1
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Big Problem

OK...i've been peddling this request around for quite a while hoping to find some help, i hope this is the right forum @_@:
ok, for a while now i've had a problem playing video files...
whenever i try to open ANY video file in DivX, BSplayer, etc except for WINMP, i get this error:
Divx player has caused an error in <unknown>.
Divx player will now close.

If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.

However, Windows Media Player does something different: the first time i try to open a video file, the wmp program stops responding and i have to ctrl+alt+del to close it. Then, when i try to open the file again, one of two things happen: 1) it works, and the file plays just fine 2) the arrow+hourglass appears and i have to ctrl+alt+del again and THIS time i get:
<unknown> has caused an error in <unknown>.
<unknown> will now close.

If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer

I tried deleting divx and the codecs and reinstalling them (from the divx site) but nothing changed...
what can i do?
Old 2004-04-01, 05:25   Link #2
Sela

I'm not an authority on this sort of thing... but have you tried deleting the codecs and installing other codecs instead (like XviD, for example)? I've heard that a lot of files are encoded with XviD, and that the ones encoded with the latest XviD cannot be played by DivX (even if you have the XviD codec) unless the DivX codec has been removed. XviD codecs can handle all DivX encodes while DivX CANNOT handle all XviD encodes. DivX always tries to use its own codecs - even if they won't work...
removing the DivX codecs and installing the latest XviD (XviD 1.0 RC3) worked for me when some of my files refused to work. If you'd like to try doing that here's a link for the XviD 1.0 RC3: http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

Hope this helps :P
Old 2004-04-01, 05:29   Link #3
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Arrow

Try going through the Media Configuration Guide thread step by step ...
Old 2004-04-01, 09:46   Link #4
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sela
removing the DivX codecs and installing the latest XviD (XviD 1.0 RC3) worked for me when some of my files refused to work. If you'd like to try doing that here's a link for the XviD 1.0 RC3: http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

Hope this helps :P
here's the problem: ALL my video files "refuse" to work, even those goony little AVI files you find sprinkled all over the internet don't work >_<
and if i keep closing and opening the files, i can get them to work...sometimes...but it's never consistant
and i also tried deleting my DivX and Xvid codecs and following the media configuration guide...all the media configuration guide did was give me another media player that didn't work >_<
Old 2004-04-01, 11:13   Link #5
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Well assuming you've tried the steps, ffdshow and all... the next step is to use GSpot. With that you might work out the solution yourself or if not simply post what it says here so that someone can provide you with more useful suggestions/help.
Old 2004-04-02, 02:21   Link #6
Kyuven

ok now it's becoming odd...when i run any of the files through GSpot, it says everything works fine...
however, this is where it's, yet again, becoming odd: While GSpot is running (window open and such) i can open and play any of the files with no problems on WMP, until i close it, then WMP locks up again and i get the "error in <unknown>" again when i have to ctrl+alt+del to close it >_<
but at least i seem to be able to play files...more or less...