AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-26, 21:56   Link #1
Seiryuu

Middle-school drama/trauma

OK, for the last year or two, I've seen a few anime set in high school with kids who're dealing with trauma from middle school, and one with a high schooler helping protect a middle-school family member from such trauma.
Spoiler for examples:
In most, it's made clear that middle schoolers (in the stories if not always IRL) are among the worst crowds; they're old enough to care about things and pay attention to things a little more than grade schoolers, but they're still kids and jump to conclusions or make assumptions and take things as fact more quickly. All this is still quite true in high school, but in anime/manga at least it's often far worse in middle school.

While I've seen plenty of trauma carried over from middle school, I don't believe I've seen much in the way of real drama set in one, with romance and drama and the good and the bad set in this period that's portrayed as having so much potential impact. So, are there any good examples of romances or dramas set in middle school that really deal with major issues or revealed deviations? The only middle-school drama I can think of off the top of my head is Mizuiro Jidai, and I don't know if that ever deals with major events, the sort that's not just a part of growing up but rather something that changes a person's life or turns everyone's image of them upside-down.
Old 2011-07-26, 23:36   Link #2
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Hourou Musuko[aka Wandering Son] comes to mind, I think it's fairly good example of this.

And for more romance/drama maybe Hatsukoi Limited though it involves some characters in Middle School and others already in High School with more focus on the Middle School Group.
Old 2011-07-27, 07:28   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The main characters in Ghost Hound are all fourteen and completing their final year of middle school. Plenty of drama in this story, though most of it concerns events outside of school. Noein's characters are twelve, but again the drama itself is not school-based.

The kids in Dennou Coil are in their final year of elementary school, but they're beginning to experience some of the issues they'll be facing as they move on to middle school.

My final suggestion is Angelic Layer. Again the drama focuses on out-of-school events, in this case the arena battles, but the characters are well-drawn and the story compelling.
Old 2011-07-29, 06:15   Link #4
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The main characters in Ghost Hound are all fourteen and completing their final year of middle school. Plenty of drama in this story, though most of it concerns events outside of school. Noein's characters are twelve, but again the drama itself is not school-based.

The kids in Dennou Coil are in their final year of elementary school, but they're beginning to experience some of the issues they'll be facing as they move on to middle school.

My final suggestion is Angelic Layer. Again the drama focuses on out-of-school events, in this case the arena battles, but the characters are well-drawn and the story compelling.
Haven't seen Ghost Hound, might have to track it down. The presence of out-of-school events is ok so long as the drama of peronal relationships with other individuals and with the peer group as a whole is still central. Still, I'd prefer a bit more major trauma and social impact than we see in Angelic Layer (which, btw, is indeed one of my favs).

I might have tried Wandering Son at one point, if not for the fact that the more I read the more it sounds like it's going to go down a path I really don't want. What really stopped me was when some idiot went on Wikipedia and reversed a bunch of pronouns. I'm cool with a lot of things in fiction, but not that.

I'm not trying to say that Wandering Son doesn't fit or that it's a bad show. From what I know it probably fits pretty well. I'm just saying it's not something I can personally enjoy, and since I don't plan to watch it, I can't say how it fits.

I'm mostly looking for stuff that deals with the sort of major drama shown in the pasts of characters from some of the series I'd mentioned.
Spoiler for details on a few examples:

In each of these cases, something happens and something is either revealed or made up about the characters that causes the entire school to turn their backs on the person, immediately deciding that the image they'd had was a lie. In an instant, everyone's opinion of the character is turned upside down and the character becomes an outcast.

Also acceptable is the reverse trauma: people assume too much of a person, putting far too much pressure on them and never letting them be themselves.

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2011-07-31 at 04:03.
Closed Thread