AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-01, 02:59   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Good 2009/2010 shows

2011 is a dull year for me. As for Winter releases, I only watched one title as I already dropped Onii-chan something(I forgot its full title). Infinite Stratos is the only show that can keep happy in this season. As for Spring, none catches my eyes except second season of Kampfer. Even that is very 50-50 because I'm not quite liked its first season. Spring have way too many *cough*yaoi*cough*sex education for lonely 30-years old men*couch*bad violent shows that overly relies on violence as gimmick*cough*. Perhaps I should look back what some good yesteryear shows that I missed. I really hate to say this but I'm quite picky what shows that I'm going to see.

Some "good" 2009/2010 shows that I'm not going to see:

1. FMA: Brotherhood: Most people say "greatest anime ever" while it isn't.

2. Kuragehime: Some of you may know how much I hated Ouran and I probably hate this show even more.

3. Kaichou wa Maid sama: Calling the heroine a feminist or a tsundere is an insult to both.

4. Umineko: See FMA: Brotherhood.

5. Bakemonogatari: Hype fails.

6. Anything that have Higurashi in it: I just pass this one. THANKS!!

7. Mirai-Nikki: Trolls love this show and I can see why.

8. Any yaoi shows: No, JUST NO!!

Don't hate me if you disagree with above but I never troll anyone who hates my favorite shows like K-On for example. Did I troll them back? No. I hope you can do the same.
Old 2011-02-01, 03:12   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Katanagatari - a fairly good action anime (though with a lot of... talking). Even if it drags a bit, it's worth getting through just for the last episode... which is utterly epic.
Shinryaku! Ika Musume - appears rather shallow and "just okay" at first, but turns out to be something more... and there are a couples segments that are just outstanding
Aoi Hana - if you like yuri this is a must-see
Old 2011-02-01, 03:24   Link #3
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
In all honesty, February just hit so it'll be unfair to call 2011 a bad year when only a month has passed. Although this current Winter Season isn't fantastic, it's pretty much the same for the past couple of seasons. Winter Season is pretty much a dead season for most mediums of entertainment - gaming, movies, anime, etc. 2009/2010 weren't that great years either in my opinion.

As for 2009/2010 releases that may be worth checking out according to "objective" standards (some of these I personally did not like):

Angel Beats
Bungaku Shoujo (OVA + Movie)
Eve no Jikan (Movie)
Ore no Imouto
A Certain Scientific Railgun
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Eden of the East
K-on (Season I and II)
Kara no Kyoukai (Movies 1-7)
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (Movie)
Unlimited Blade Works (Movie)
Dissappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Movie)
Nodame Cantabile Finale
Sengoku Basara (Season I and II)
Spice and Wolf II
Summer Wars (Movie)
Clannad After Story
Tatami Galaxy
Arakawa Under the Bridge
House of Five Leaves
Working
Cross Game
Durarara
Kimi ni Todoke
Amagami SS
Aoi Bungaku
Shiki
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Yosuga no Sora
High School of the Dead
Old 2011-02-01, 13:14   Link #4
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Acejam covered most of what I was going to suggest, too many to list what I would second off there .

Others not mentioned already:
Seitokai no Ichizon
Nyan Koi
Seitokai Yakuindomo
B Gata H Kei
Needless
Canaan
Sora no Manimani
Kobato
Old 2011-02-01, 13:22   Link #5
Reclun
Lithium Flower

I'll second House of Five Leaves. ^^ It might be the only one I watched in this entire list (facepalm), but it was very good. The art takes a little getting used to, but when you do, it's just gorgeous. And the colors...! <3
Old 2011-02-01, 16:57   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=97553
Old 2011-02-01, 19:08   Link #7
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

How are Ouran and Kuragehime similar? They're quite different, and Kuragehime is quite the refreshing comedy if you ever want to try it. And Umineko, the greatest anime ever? No. A majority of the Umineko fandom would very much like to deny it ever existed, just like the Tsukihime anime never existed.

But enough of that, here's some secondings:

Kara no Kyoukai
Durarara!!
Shinryaku! Ika Musume
CANAAN
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Eden of the East
Katanagatari (although if you really hated Bakemonogatari's dialogue then you probably shouldn't watch this)
Ore no Imouto Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi (must have watched the Haruhi anime beforehand, especially Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody)
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Angel Beats!
WORKING!!
Seitokai no Ichizon
Shiki
Kobato

Series that you'd need to watch the first season of beforehand:
CLANNAD
Nodame Cantabile
Spice and Wolf

Recommendations (all that's left ):
Saki (if you don't mind a little yuri, this is quite a fun show to watch)
Pandora Hearts (give it more than one or two episodes)

It's a winter 2011 show, but I do recommend watching Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Give it three episodes before you decide whether to watch it or drop it, as it really is setting out to be a dark deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre.
Old 2011-05-18, 18:51   Link #8
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Forgive me reviving this thread but I just found Spring is just as bad as Winter, probably even worse. Those yaoi shows are killing me.

Already seen:

Amagami SS
Yosuga no Sora
Ore no Imouto
HSotD
Aoi Hana
MariMite 4th Season
Kanamemo
Sasameki Koto
Old 2011-05-20, 15:25   Link #9
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I will second Summer Wars. Probably was the best anime film of 2009, and has moments that make you laugh, moments that will make you cry and just plain awesome moments(The Best Hanafuda Game Ever and then the climax itself). In the end, the movie is all about how family is important.

I have not seen Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya yet but I will watch it when it comes out here in North America.

I have only seen the first four episodes of K-ON! and I like that.

Baka and Test is on my list of titles that I might check out.
Old 2011-05-21, 05:44   Link #10
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I'm not seeing Soredemo Machi ga Mawatteiru anywhere. I thought it was a fun, engaging comedy from beginning to end. Yes, it has maids, it's not a maid fan-service show or anything like that though. It's by Shaft, normally I don't like Shaft shows a whole lot, but this one hit it off with me from the start. It should only take you the first episode to decide whether you like this show or not. (By the way, this is sort of a random recommendation, but I share most of the same dislikes and I like K-on...)
Old 2011-07-28, 20:44   Link #11
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Reviving this thread again since Summer 2011 sucks. I don't even see any one of them(except Yuruyuri but I saved it so I can see all of its episode in one go).
Old 2011-07-28, 22:27   Link #12
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It's nice that one can figure out shows are all bad before watching them...

Anyhow Durarara! and Aoi Bungaku are good choice.

Also, why not try Kiss x Sis, and round out the incest fetish?

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-28, 22:35   Link #13
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Whilst on the topic of incest, Aki-sora might be up your alley I guess...
Old 2011-07-29, 08:19   Link #14
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Already saw Aki-Sora and Kiss x Sis and I found myself loved the Aki-Sora(while it still incomplete) but hated the later. I love incest when it become important plot and character development but hated when it become pointless fanservice device. Hell, even the hero of Kiss x Sis is not related by blood with the heroines anyway so I can't say its an incest show.

Will try Durarara! though but as for Aoi Bungaku I better make deep researh on it since its a shoujo show. Please keep this thread alive for few weeks.
Old 2011-07-29, 08:42   Link #15
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

A bit short-minded are we? Well for recommendations of good 2009-2010 anime:

Toradora (Well it ended in 2009)
Arakawa under the Bridge
Occult Academy (not everyone's tastes)
Shiki
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
Madoka Magica (I don't really know if you dropped it since it's a Winter 2011 series but if you didn't see it yet. . . try it!)
You should try Kuragehime, while personally I love Ouran, it's a very different spectrum in shoujo.
Maybe try Bakemonogatari again? Sometimes one needs to see it twice to appreciate it.
Old 2011-07-29, 12:02   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
as for Aoi Bungaku I better make deep researh on it since its a shoujo show.
No, it's not. It's an anthology of famous Japanese novels. If anything, I might call it "seinen" though these terms don't really apply.

If you're patient, you could try following Hyouge Mono. The subbers say they'll be picking up the pace again the next couple of weeks.
Old 2011-07-29, 12:10   Link #17
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Already saw Aki-Sora and Kiss x Sis and I found myself loved the Aki-Sora(while it still incomplete) but hated the later. I love incest when it become important plot and character development but hated when it become pointless fanservice device. Hell, even the hero of Kiss x Sis is not related by blood with the heroines anyway so I can't say its an incest show.

Will try Durarara! though but as for Aoi Bungaku I better make deep researh on it since its a shoujo show. Please keep this thread alive for few weeks.
I'd try FMA: Brotherhood, you may not think it's worth the hype, but is that a reason not to watch something at all? Maybe it isn't a 10/10, or even a 9/10, but it's still a 8/10, which is a hell of a lot better then most stuff...

Also Kuragehime is quite different from Ouran, it's more like Nodame Cantabile then anything else.
Old 2011-07-29, 12:31   Link #18
FireChick

Aoi Hana
Shinryaku! Ika Musume
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class
Summer Wars
Kobato
Pandora Hearts
07-Ghost (<--- Don't worry. It may have some vibes and undertones, but it by far is NOT a yaoi!! Trust me!)
Old 2011-08-01, 21:37   Link #19
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

07-Ghost just plain sucks! I hate that shit.

Already seen Ikamusume though and I can wait for second season in this Autumn(once again Autumn is the best anime season for me despite quite lacking in comparison to last year).

Shiki is sooo heavy so I can save it for later.

Not fan of Brain Base but will try Durarara! though....But Kuragehime...

While it quite violating this thread but I may try Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 if I can find it.

No intention to troll FMA fans but I just find FMA sucks, both 2003 and 2009 versions. I still dunno why people loved it.
Closed Thread