AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-02-23, 16:17   Link #3001
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
You are so fcked.
As we established earlier, the party VIPs who decide the nominee can vote for whatever they want anyway. They are just forging the preliminaries so that they will match the already agreed on end result.

But it's never boring to watch US politics go at it. Keep it up.
*popcorn*

btw 3000th reply is mine.

You are off by 1
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 16:27   Link #3002
Ithekro
Space Battleship

3,000th reply...3,001st post.

These troubles seem to be in caucuses rather than primaries.
Old 2012-02-23, 16:28   Link #3003
Zetsubo
著述遮断

LOL !

I didn't even remember there were post counters and statistic pages !
Old 2012-02-23, 18:04   Link #3004
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Interesting analysis of the theocratic-fascist movement in the US.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/...t_to_20120222/

"Bob in Wisconsin" on the NY Times site had this hilarious comment:
Quote:
Just when I was ready to write off Romney, he pulls his act together and confronts the tree height issue head on. His positions on most other issues have been all over the map, but he is unequivocally committed to Michigan's tree heights. His position is absolutely clear and courageous, given that it is likely to cost him votes in certain parts of the southwest.

My wife has historically voted overwhelmingly for democrats, but now considers herself undecided. While she opposes Romney's position on every social issue (including his stand on transporting pets) and almost every economic one, the heights of several evergreens in our yard have been a continuing concern to her. Her landscaping research has led her to conclude that, when it comes to tree height, Michigan gets it right, and that Romney is the only candidate, including our incumbent president, to stake out a position. However, before we put up any lawn signs, we're going to wait to see if he can hold his ground when he campaigns in Wisconsin, where tree height is not taken lightly.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 20:08   Link #3005
solomon

Someone asked what is the US's goal as a nation?

Hurrr duurrr, to get back to being the greatest nation in the history of history of course!

Now HOW we do that depends on who you ask...
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 20:09   Link #3006
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Someone asked what is the US's goal as a nation?

Hurrr duurrr, to get back to being the greatest nation in the history of history of course!

Now HOW we do that depends on who you ask...
how do YOU think this should be done ?
Old 2012-02-23, 20:14   Link #3007
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
The questions to ask before this one should be ''what make a great nation?'' and ''how do you determine which nation is the greatest in history ? '' .
After that you might find the way to archive it.

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 20:17   Link #3008
solomon

Some cuts have to be made, some restructuring of tax brackets.......

I think "growth" will happen sooner or later cause we just have one of the best markets compared to many other 1st world countries in terms of combination of manpower, educaton and business climate (generally speaking).

Some time in the near-distant future though, the country has to get realistic about taxes though.

What kind of services do we want? Can our infrastructre be better? How can we improve the education system. Are the poor really as lazy as we say they are? (I'm not even touching the healthcare deal).

We are a proud nation that prides itself on our "can do" attitude, but we aren't frontiers man anymore. We don't "rule" the world in this globalized society. We need massive well coordinated infrastructure and environments to live in, and unless we are willing to wait for the "Messiah" private business man who can provide all this stuff at high quality and low cost, we need to stop acting as if paying taxes is the devil.
Old 2012-02-23, 20:23   Link #3009
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

we have the best infrastructure afaik, education and environment needs to be worked on...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 20:26   Link #3010
solomon

That ain't the way I heard it;

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

Admittedly early on, this is why I liked Obama's talk, he seemed like he wanted to do something about this stuff. BUT ALL (NON DEFENSE) SPENDING IS BAAAAAAAADDDDDDD
Old 2012-02-23, 20:29   Link #3011
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

well fuck

Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 20:46   Link #3012
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
we have the best infrastructure afaik, education and environment needs to be worked on...
Water systems over a hundred years old, many bridges fail safety (50+ years old, in Oregon for example over 80% of the bridges need overhaul or replacement), electrical grid not able to deal with modern power management, state highway systems eroding, telecom is way behind the curve compared with other advanced countries. And yeah, education has been chronically underfunded for decades (I mark it as when the Cold War ended), effectively no coordinated retraining systems for the work force to minimize waste and maximize potential..... yeah, heh.

Granted we're not really in a well-regulated free market - but it seems like without community oversight, short term profiteers will simply let things ride til they explode, declare bankruptcy and ride the parachute out of town.
Old 2012-02-23, 21:03   Link #3013
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
He'll go. Frankly, he bores me. Oh look, a typical fake-ass WASP "populist" (read: man of easy values) archconservative spouting Moral Values and having not much else to say. Boohoo. What next, 9/11 Inside Job, Obama is a Muslim, Evolution is a Lie, Jesus Loves You except if you're a fag? Tell me something I could at least legitimately laugh at. Palin was much more fun. Where now are the hockey moms, Sarah, Sarah?
I saw a comment on CNN in response to a Santorum article that I thought was highly fitting. It said something like, 'America was built on pulling down the powerful and self-righteous. So go ahead, Mr. Santorum, and keep telling us about how you're so morally right.'

Everyone has skeletons in their closet. I'm just waiting for Santorum's to come out. I bet they'll be good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Science, cultivating respect among the population, and focusing more on improving our own nation instead of picking fights and nation building around the world.
Old 2012-02-23, 21:29   Link #3014
solomon

This is only tenously related, but seeing this..........just TOTALLY eradicated ANY lingering respect I had for modern GOP party and GOP friendly media......

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-f...-children.html

Like yea, cable news is for idiots, noted, FOX news for conservative idiots ok.........but linking Arriety........to some pretentious, self serving warning about an unholy Liberal-Hollywood allliance to "indoctrinate" our children and turn them into occupiers.

They not only shat on intelligence bro, they shat on animation....

I'M MAD!!!
Old 2012-02-23, 22:07   Link #3015
Autumn Demon
~

Gibson Guitars has been raided twice by federal agents for using illegally imported wood to make their guitars. Or something.

This is why America needs serious reform to the executive branch. Personally, I think America is too big to be governed at the national level. Unfortunately no future president will have any interest in decreasing their own powers.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 22:13   Link #3016
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
This is why America needs serious reform to the executive branch. Personally, I think America is too big to be governed at the national level. Unfortunately no future president will have any interest in decreasing their own powers.
I don't think this shows anything about America's government needing reform. It just shows that law enforcement will tend to expand any authority that it's given, and it will try to keep itself busy in order to justify its existence and acquire more power.
Old 2012-02-23, 22:14   Link #3017
Xagzan

Quote:
This is only tenously related, but seeing this..........just TOTALLY eradicated ANY lingering respect I had for modern GOP party and GOP friendly media......

Like yea, cable news is for idiots, noted, FOX news for conservative idiots ok.........but linking Arriety........to some pretentious, self serving warning about an unholy Liberal-Hollywood allliance to "indoctrinate" our children and turn them into occupiers.

I'M MAD!!!
I don't even have to click on that link to know you're talking about Lou Dobbs, right? It's not the most contemptible thing I've ever heard from their mouths (I mean, they said this about Sesame Street already), though it is one that attacks an actual love of mine - you know, anime. But this little word leakage from Dobbs is especially obtuse, for implying that Arrietty is part of Hollywood's agenda. Cause, you know, it was totally made in the United States.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 22:26   Link #3018
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:

I'M MAD!!!
After watching that, I could hear some of my brain cells scream in horror, leak out of my ears, see the real world outside and scream in horror again before they died.

That's pretty much how I think about American reality TV anyw- holy shit are you telling me the US Elections ISN'T a big reality TV show? Excuse me I need to shit a brick.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 22:48   Link #3019
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't recommend watching Lou Dobbs at all without massive doses of alcohol or turning him into a drinking game. Fox fills the day with people like hiim - they're designed to terrify old people who leave their television on 24/7.

Regardless of your views, the man is very, very disturbed.
Old 2012-02-24, 00:30   Link #3020
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I don't recommend watching Lou Dobbs at all without massive doses of alcohol or turning him into a drinking game. Fox fills the day with people like hiim - they're designed to terrify old people who leave their television on 24/7.

Regardless of your views, the man is very, very disturbed.
Lou Dobbs is awful, and has been since his days back on CNN.
He's an elitist hack as far as I am concerned.

Fox is a Neo-Con clearing house of propaganda at this point.
They just fired the last host they had with any real credibility IMHO.

That man being Judge Napolitano.
Love him or hate him, at least he had the guts to criticize both parties and expose them as the corporate stooges they really are.

Tags
2012 elections, us elections