AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-06-12, 18:20   Link #4801
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
^ The US population would certainly not be as divided as it is now if there wasn't a Fox News to spread misinformation around.

What really fascinates me about Mr Murdoch is his hunger to control media. If I am not mistaken, at least in the US, he owns most of the news papers and local new stations. Why would a man want that kind of information control in the first place, unless he had some kind of agenda? I don't think he just wants to maximize profits, there is no need to control most of the media just to get money. I believe the man is in on some kind of conspiracy. I know that sounds paranoid.
I'd say he wants to be wealthy and influential WITHOUT being responsible. Being the gatekeeper between the peasants and the royalty is a good place.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 19:06   Link #4802
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'd say he wants to be wealthy and influential WITHOUT being responsible. Being the gatekeeper between the peasants and the royalty is a good place.
Given his wealth, I doubt than he would see himself as ''only'' a gatekeeper but as a member of the royalty or some kind of high member of the clergy, much of the advantage of the royalty with the mean to influence both side.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 19:08   Link #4803
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
What really fascinates me about Mr Murdoch is his hunger to control media. If I am not mistaken, at least in the US, he owns most of the news papers and local new stations. Why would a man want that kind of information control in the first place, unless he had some kind of agenda? I don't think he just wants to maximize profits, there is no need to control most of the media just to get money. I believe the man is in on some kind of conspiracy. I know that sounds paranoid.
It's not just his media control that worries me, it's the way he steers public opinion. Most large corporations try to influence policy making through lobby efforts, nothing new there.

What men like Murdoch have pulled of recently is to create a distorted, separate reality through their media that confirms and enhances the biases of their audience. In the past political opponents like Republicans and Democrats saw the same news and interpreted it differently according to their own views, now the media just create/adapt news to fit with their target audience. Why bother with lobbying when you can control the voter.

Murdoch can simply order a politician around, on threat of setting the peasants with pitchforks on him.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 19:20   Link #4804
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
I'd rather it was "Howling Mad" Murdoch running the place.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 19:33   Link #4805
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'd rather it was "Howling Mad" Murdoch running the place.
From the aspect of an efficient, working, organization that gets results... heh, yeah. Better than the hand puppets we currently have.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 03:24   Link #4806
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Insight: When Romney wasn't so tough on China
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85C04620120613
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 16:34   Link #4807
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homestead, FL
Age: 28
Thumbs down

Senators Fawn Over JPMorgan CEO After Massive Trading Debacle

Spoiler for Senators talking to their sugar daddies:
There's few things more sad than seeing old men giving BJs in the public to bank execs. Wake the hell up, America...
sikvod00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 17:02   Link #4808
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
^ I'm getting so sick of all this crap. What can a lowly citizen like me even do without any money? I got $10 to donate, oh look that corporation can just give them 10 million!

I'm just waiting to see what happens when the Euro market finally collapses and sends the US into an even bigger recession. If this doesn't wake up people, we might as well all just keel over.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 17:03   Link #4809
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Good gods.... I think the only thing that still scratches my amazement meter is the complete lack of pretending any more.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 17:17   Link #4810
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
Maybe our President can do someth...

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...gs-123545.html

Quote:
Obama has up to $1M in JPMorgan Chase holdings

President Obama has between $500,001 and $1 million dollars in a JPMorgan Chase account, according to financial disclosure forms released Tuesday by the White House.

The bank -- that's now being looked at by the Department of Justice after posting a massive $2 billion trading loss last week -- is the home of a joint checking account the Obamas have with its Private Client Asset Management division. The Obamas have a second checking account with JPMorgan with assets between $1,001 and $15,000.

That's a big increase from his 2011 disclosure form, where the JP Morgan Chase account showed no more than $250,000 in assets.

(Also on POLITICO: PHOTOS: JP Morgan Chase's $2 billion loss.)

"This is a checking account used by the President and the First Lady. It is the equivalent of an interest-bearing checking account available at many other financial institutions. As is reported, the account held between $500,001-$1,000,000 and only generated less than $201 in interest income in 2011," White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage said.

The smaller account "is a standard checking account held by the First Lady," Brundage said.

Despite the public assault the bank has taken since the trading loss became public, Obama this week praised both JPMorgan and its CEO Jamie Dimon, while emphasizing that his Wall Street reform law is necessary to keep taxpayers safe from big bets gone bad.

"JPMorgan is one of the best-managed banks there is," Obama said on ABC's "The View. "Jamie Dimon, the head of it, is one of the smartest bankers we got, and they still lost $2 billion and counting."
Never mind.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 17:30   Link #4811
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Maybe our President can do someth...

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...gs-123545.html


Never mind.
He has to say that ... they're betting on the derivatives with his deposits as collateral (like everyone else) and the vast majority of it is uninsured if it is in one account.

La la la la la , it's all fine!!! <head into bucket of water>
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 20:19   Link #4812
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
So many charts @_@

http://www.businessinsider.com/dear-...ts-2012-6?op=1
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 20:20   Link #4813
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Analysis: Obama gambles by asking for more time to fix economy
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85C05O20120614

Romney sees "consumer" healthcare after Obama plan
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85B1NI20120612
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 15:40   Link #4814
Lightning_Wing
1.048596
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Location?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
^ I'm getting so sick of all this crap. What can a lowly citizen like me even do without any money? I got $10 to donate, oh look that corporation can just give them 10 million!

I'm just waiting to see what happens when the Euro market finally collapses and sends the US into an even bigger recession. If this doesn't wake up people, we might as well all just keel over.
We basically live in a Corporatist Plutocracy. Only the rich can get into power so long as they have the favor of a corporation.

Only a profound political turnover can change this.
Lightning_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 15:44   Link #4815
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
We basically live in a Corporatist Plutocracy. Only the rich can get into power so long as they have the favor of a corporation.

Only a profound political turnover can change this.
Or a really big pile of dead bodies.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 15:46   Link #4816
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
Only a profound political turnover can change this.
... and the time for the revolution is, the sixties seems we already are too late, time to learn to kneel to our all powerful fascist overlords
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 16:03   Link #4817
Lightning_Wing
1.048596
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Location?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
... and the time for the revolution is, the sixties seems we already are too late, time to learn to kneel to our all powerful fascist overlords
Nah, nah it seems that the economies that hold the system up are falling. It (the government, etc.) attempted to save them after '08 and it allowed them survival for a while, but not permanently.
Lightning_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 16:15   Link #4818
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
Nah, nah it seems that the economies that hold the system up are falling. It (the government, etc.) attempted to save them after '08 and it allowed them survival for a while, but not permanently.
People seem to think that if economies fall then goverments will automatically self-destruct. Look at cuba and north korea, their economies have been bankrupt for decades yet their goverments seem to keep going, and going and going.

Also, there is this idea about a violent revolution, which is EXACTLY what the defacto powers need to keep controlling the goverment, they will simply point their finger at the terrorists and tell the subservient masses that only the goverment can protect them from the chaos and death the terrorists worship.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 16:16   Link #4819
Lightning_Wing
1.048596
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Location?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
People seem to think that if economies fall then goverments will automatically self-destruct. Look at cuba and north korea, their economies have been bankrupt for decades yet their goverments seem to keep going, and going and going.

Also, there is this idea about a violent revolution, which is EXACTLY what the defacto powers need to keep controlling the goverment, they will simply point their finger at the terrorists and tell the subservient masses that only the goverment can protect them from the chaos and death the terrorists worship.
Cuba and North Korea also have very small, isolated economies. Not corporationist ones, which need economy to survive.
Lightning_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 16:30   Link #4820
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
Cuba and North Korea also have very small, isolated economies. Not corporationist ones, which need economy to survive.
In times of a dificult economy environment it is not dificult for the goverment to close/isolate the economy, FDR did it back in the 20th century with the "big" USA economy, did his goverment failed? He became the most sucesful president (4th presidential terms) in history. TBT corporations thrive in closed markets because even if their products suck, people HAVE to buy them since there are no cheaper or better imports to choose.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2012 elections, us elections

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.