AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-06, 23:28   Link #801
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
435 representatives and 50 senators.
We reelect each representative every two years and senators every 6 year (spaced out to 1/3 are up every two years). So that's what we work with.

Some states have term limits. Many just keep reelecting the same people over and over and over again until they retire or die (how long was Strom Trumond in there again?)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 23:43   Link #802
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
As long as the Supreme Court misrulings that "$$$==speech" and that "corporations==people" stands... we're f*cked.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 23:49   Link #803
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As long as the Supreme Court misrulings that "$$$==speech" and that "corporations==people" stands... we're f*cked.
If corporation = people then the law should be able to bring a corporation on charges of murder.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 00:03   Link #804
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
If corporation = people then the law should be able to bring a corporation on charges of murder.
And... it should pay the same tax rates as a "people".
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 03:16   Link #805
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Corporations have all the benefits of 'people' with none of the responsibilities. Once our computers become advanced enough each Corporation will have a central AI that the shareholders will use to dictate the 'direction' of the company because it'll be better at increasing profits than any human could.

We'll be ruled by robot overlords soon.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 04:09   Link #806
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
I think the major problem of the current US political system is that open bribery of congresspeople is legally sanctioned. It must become illegal for politicians to accept money for themselves, be it from private people or corporations. Otherwise, politicians will merely be puppets dancing on special interest's strings.

Besides, the recent supreme court (another corrupted institution) decision to give corporations "natural people" status along with the right to spend as much money as desired for political activities only makes things worse.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 08:07   Link #807
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
If corporation = people then the law should be able to bring a corporation on charges of murder.
That won't work because of "favour of public policy" - if we are able to bring a charge of murder on a corporation, we should be able to bring tons of other crimes like instigation, nuisance, fraud, tax dodging....the list is endless.

So that is why the courts don't charge them at all - the crimes are too numerous that the equitable punishment is close to infinity.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 09:47   Link #808
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That won't work because of "favour of public policy" - if we are able to bring a charge of murder on a corporation, we should be able to bring tons of other crimes like instigation, nuisance, fraud, tax dodging....the list is endless.
Wait, so does it mean Corporations are allowed to commit fraud, nuisance, and tax dodging?

A crime is a crime. It doesn't matter who does it.

Does that mean if I commit ten thousand crimes all at once, I would be immune from prosecution because there are too many to charge me with? I would be given exemption from the legal system because it is easier?
Quote:
the crimes are too numerous that the equitable punishment is close to infinity.
Right. So that means I just need to commit enough crimes that I break the upper limit and I would be home free.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 10:14   Link #809
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Romney says would exert U.S. leadership globally
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7945SP20111007
One thing; first you should fix the shit you are doing at home before starting to wanting to lead others.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 11:30   Link #810
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Romney says would exert U.S. leadership globally
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7945SP20111007
One thing; first you should fix the shit you are doing at home before starting to wanting to lead others.
See variations on "Christian Dominionism". Sure, Romney is a Mormon but he's catering to that faction (which nicely aligns with multi-national corporate interests to crush any local competition, but hey ).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 12:01   Link #811
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Well the LDS is one of the few Christian groups that still encourages the "out breed them" policy. Sure the Catholics still do that to some extent, but it doesn't seem to be pushed in First World countries anymore. It does counter some of the Islamic propaganda of simply out breeding the infidels into extinction.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 13:53   Link #812
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well the LDS is one of the few Christian groups that still encourages the "out breed them" policy. Sure the Catholics still do that to some extent, but it doesn't seem to be pushed in First World countries anymore. It does counter some of the Islamic propaganda of simply out breeding the infidels into extinction.
I'm not actually complaining about Romney's religion (I think its irrelevant in relation to his policies) but that he, as a Mormon, is trying to appeal to the evangelical extremes who regard Mormons as a "cult" (pot kettle black yeah).

In other news -- yes, we may have a movement in the OWS that is actually mad at the right people now:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/op...tors.html?_r=3
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 14:21   Link #813
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Corporations have all the benefits of 'people' with none of the responsibilities. Once our computers become advanced enough each Corporation will have a central AI that the shareholders will use to dictate the 'direction' of the company because it'll be better at increasing profits than any human could.

We'll be ruled by robot overlords soon.
Eh. Hopefully they'll do a better job of it.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 14:40   Link #814
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In other news -- yes, we may have a movement in the OWS that is actually mad at the right people now:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/op...tors.html?_r=3
There is definitly potential. Unfortunately there is also a potential for catastrophically backfiring. The backfiring would be something like south africanization and more police state. Anyway, I think optimistic... even though the optimism is somewhat strained, because I also believe there is almost no limit in the unscrupulousness of the power elite (those with money + influence).
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 09:10   Link #815
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

Wait, so does it mean Corporations are allowed to commit fraud, nuisance, and tax dodging?

A crime is a crime. It doesn't matter who does it.
If they can buy themselves out, yes. That is the dirty thing about it we can't do anything about unless we stand together.

Of course, they are too busy paying the politicians to divide us along "party lines".

Quote:
Does that mean if I commit ten thousand crimes all at once, I would be immune from prosecution because there are too many to charge me with? I would be given exemption from the legal system because it is easier?

Right. So that means I just need to commit enough crimes that I break the upper limit and I would be home free.
You can't commit more crimes than a group of people who have committed multiple crimes - when the group gets charged the number of crimes indicted snowballs.

UPDATE

Occupy movement: a collective, vague effort

I have been reading the article AND the comments, and it dawned on me that what these protestors want is something VERY simple : the regulators (anti-trust, tax-dodging, etc) to do their work, with the President and DOJ to back their ass with a large Goldion hammer.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 01:12   Link #816
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
So basically they want Teddy Roosevelt.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 02:23   Link #817
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
On PBS they suggested that the OW movement exist because the Tea Party attacked Washington but protected Wall Street, so OW people decided to do it themselves.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 12:25   Link #818
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Reading is good for the mind - an instructive critique of the plutocratic hysterical response to the 99.99%ers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/op...&smid=fb-share

selected extracts:
Quote:
...
this reaction tells you something important — namely, that the extremists threatening American values are what F.D.R. called “economic royalists,” not the people camping in Zuccotti Park.
...
What’s going on here? The answer, surely, is that Wall Street’s Masters of the Universe realize, deep down, how morally indefensible their position is. They’re not John Galt; they’re not even Steve Jobs. They’re people who got rich by peddling complex financial schemes that, far from delivering clear benefits to the American people, helped push us into a crisis whose aftereffects continue to blight the lives of tens of millions of their fellow citizens.
Yet they have paid no price. Their institutions were bailed out by taxpayers, with few strings attached. They continue to benefit from explicit and implicit federal guarantees — basically, they’re still in a game of heads they win, tails taxpayers lose. And they benefit from tax loopholes that in many cases have people with multimillion-dollar incomes paying lower rates than middle-class families.
This special treatment can’t bear close scrutiny — and therefore, as they see it, there must be no close scrutiny. Anyone who points out the obvious, no matter how calmly and moderately, must be demonized and driven from the stage. In fact, the more reasonable and moderate a critic sounds, the more urgently he or she must be demonized, hence the frantic sliming of Elizabeth Warren.
So who’s really being un-American here? Not the protesters, who are simply trying to get their voices heard. No, the real extremists here are America’s oligarchs, who want to suppress any criticism of the sources of their wealth.

...
Understand that in the plutocratic view, there's no difference between the $700K/yr small business owner (who actually creates the jobs by the way, statistically) and the $30K/yr 3 part-time job no benefits employee. They're both just schmucks to be looted by scam games via finance or unbalanced tax rules. In reality, its the "99.99%ers" getting raped by the "0.01%ers". Sadly, some of the "99.99%ers" stupidly believe they're in the country club when actually they'd be shown the door with a boot to the ass.
When you make 100,000K to 100,000,000K off of finance games, derivatives, etc (no value, no jobs created)... a piddling 700K schmuck looks no different than a 30K peon.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-10-10 at 13:01.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 12:34   Link #819
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
got this off the NY times Disunion series. A series of article regarding the events leading up to the civil war and of the civil war.

Quote:
Richard C. Vaughan, an attorney in Lexington, Mo., was overjoyed with Abraham Lincoln’s 1860 election. Not because the Republican Lincoln won; indeed, he had supported John Bell, the presidential candidate from the Constitutional Union Party. Rather, his joy came from the Democrats’ resounding defeat. “The prospect of the final overthrow of the Democracy in Missouri as well as everywhere else,” he wrote to a friend, “is to me a source of infinite and irrepressible pleasure in which I know you participate fully.”
Vaughan was, like many politically active Americans at the time (and since), a partisan, who cheered his party’s advances the same way he would cheer a sports team. What’s remarkable, though, was how flippantly he reacted to the obvious consequence of the 1860 election: secession and war. “No matter what sad disaster may follow,” he wrote, “I shall regard it as a less grievous affliction than the continuance of that party in power.” In other words, Vaughan would rather see his neighbors descend into fratricidal civil war than see the Democrats hold onto power.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...irit-on-trial/
150 yrs later and things doesn't seem to have change much.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 12:47   Link #820
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

UPDATE

Occupy movement: a collective, vague effort

I have been reading the article AND the comments, and it dawned on me that what these protestors want is something VERY simple : the regulators (anti-trust, tax-dodging, etc) to do their work, with the President and DOJ to back their ass with a large Goldion hammer.
What the author of that article doesn't get is that these type of movements are designed to be leaderless, whether it is Occupy Wall street, Occupy freedom plaza, or The Zeitgeist Movement, they share the idea that educated people cannot be controlled. Granting leadership status to an individual will only be counter productive because the collective voice is suppressed and replaced by the voice of an individual who thinks his voice is more valuable than the rest.

In other words, you can become a guide, a coordinator, a moderator but not a leader, because when you become a leader your ego grows out of proportion and ends up being unable to listen to others other than yourself.

Of course, this is a very foreign concept to media people and it will be very hard for them to understand that movements like this work under a different paradigm. I just hope big money and special interests are not able to corrupt them.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2012 elections, us elections

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.