AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-08-17, 08:27   Link #21
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Reflections was pretty radically different from the way the manga ended... of maybe better to say that it's a grim extension of what the future may have held after their son was born.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 10:34   Link #22
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Considering how the Lucky Star anime is a nine-hour commercial for Haruhi, I don't blame him...
I've heard others describe Lucky Star as that but I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Haruhi gets mentioned a lot but it's definitely not a commercial for Haruhi.
Old 2011-08-17, 11:38   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I've heard others describe Lucky Star as that but I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Haruhi gets mentioned a lot but it's definitely not a commercial for Haruhi.
Well.. though I loved Lucky*Star (and its manga) I can't say I was amused by the ridiculous amount of "product placement" and industry promotion... NONE of which is in the manga. I'm one of those people who *liked* the first episode because it exemplified the manga's humor. A "George Burns" style of subtle long gags -- the musical scoring was perfect and would have fit in a Laurel and Hardy or other 'ancient comedy' scheme.

I imagine many people who bought the manga after watching the anime were confused (e.g. where's the manga store operator, etc)
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 15:41   Link #24
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I imagine many people who bought the manga after watching the anime were confused (e.g. where's the manga store operator, etc)
I was confused about that for a while, but he turns up in the Lucky Star Moe Drill DS games with his lackeys (also other store's mascot characters who didn't show up in the anime appear as well). I've only played the first one a bit haphazardly, but the first game does predate the anime by over a year. Although the DS games could be considered advertisements for Fate/stay night, Da Capo, and some other games in their content.
Old 2011-08-17, 16:28   Link #25
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Well, it looks like any mangaka (or original series creator) would be pissed when severe changes are implemented to the series they penned.
Depends on the individual. For various reasons, some believe that anime versions should be drastically different (i.e. the creators of Dance in the Vampire Bund and Mayoi Neko Overrun. The Bakuman authors also wanted a different focus for the anime to attract new people to their manga - in their case, it worked).

Some mangaka don't really care about the anime at all, so long as it boosts the popularity of the original work. It's when an anime harms the potential sales of their product that they get pissed.

Quote:
Oreimo Episode 08 completely illustrates this.
It's also an indirect jab at light novels and the qualifications of many authors, not to mention the industry's tendency to adapt any (junk) product that has the slightest potential. Oreimo itself falls under what they're making fun of, and it's known that some people on the team weren't thrilled to be working on it (one animator was pissed that AIC left his name in the credits when he told them to leave it out).

The episode poked fun at the positions of original authors, anime writers, and producers. It certainly wasn't a piece intended to sympathize with authors, nor does it accurately portray the relationship between author and screenwriter.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 19:44   Link #26
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

I wonder how the authors of long-running manga like Hajime no Ippo and Case Closed feel about the adaptations of their works.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 21:33   Link #27
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
The author of the Fractale manga called the anime "uninteresting" and the director of the anime requested the manga be halted. I am not sure, but I think that the anime is not really based on the manga, but are just part of a multimedia project. The manga author later apologized and the manga is still ongoing
Old 2011-08-17, 23:24   Link #28
Greenish Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
The author of the Fractale manga called the anime "uninteresting" and the director of the anime requested the manga be halted. I am not sure, but I think that the anime is not really based on the manga, but are just part of a multimedia project. The manga author later apologized and the manga is still ongoing
Wasn't that the artist of the manga? Or did the author put down the anime too?

Last edited by Greenish Growth; 2011-08-18 at 01:56.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 01:16   Link #29
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
AFAIK, he didn't really HATE it. He just preferred a happier ending. I think he said something like the OAV is based on your personal opinion whether it's right or wrong.
No, hate was a pretty good word! He was pretty much frozen out of the creative process on the OVAs and there was a ton of resentment there (justified, IMO)
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 03:58   Link #30
GreatTeacherKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I was confused about that for a while, but he turns up in the Lucky Star Moe Drill DS games with his lackeys (also other store's mascot characters who didn't show up in the anime appear as well). I've only played the first one a bit haphazardly, but the first game does predate the anime by over a year. Although the DS games could be considered advertisements for Fate/stay night, Da Capo, and some other games in their content.
Anizawa Meito (the hot blooded manga store guy) predates Lucky Star. He's a character designed as the mascot for the retail store Animate. In fact, there was a short anime featuring him called Anime Tenchou animated by Gainax that was released in 2002.

Here's the ANN profile page for the anime:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=358
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 11:37   Link #31
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

If I remember correctly, CLAMP didn't think too well of Bee Train's Tsubasa Chronicles.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 13:37   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
Anizawa Meito (the hot blooded manga store guy) predates Lucky Star. He's a character designed as the mascot for the retail store Animate. In fact, there was a short anime featuring him called Anime Tenchou animated by Gainax that was released in 2002.

Here's the ANN profile page for the anime:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=358
Aye, in a sense he's no different than the "Initial D" reference insertion: a pre-existing anime meme inserted into the series. There was no reference at all in the manga existing at the time of production.

Some people loved the insertions... those of us who'd actually read the manga, meh.
Old 2011-08-18, 13:48   Link #33
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Kiyohiko Azuma wasn't pleased with the anime adaption of Azumanga.
He also put a veto on any anime adaption of Yotsubato! The official explanation is that he thinks that kind of story isn't fit for an anime adaption, but I think he also fears he'd be displeased like it happened before. Frankly I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work in an anime format.

It's a pity because Azumanga Daioh is my favorite comedy anime and Yotsubato! is simply awesome.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 19:42   Link #34
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No, hate was a pretty good word! He was pretty much frozen out of the creative process on the OVAs and there was a ton of resentment there (justified, IMO)
Ah I see. When I read about the interview with him his answer was kinda like "um... It was okay, but I wished the ending was better and happier".
He didn't answer with those words exactly, but it felt like he was trying to say that, in my opinion. So I thought "hate" was a very strong word.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 20:06   Link #35
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
The mangaka for Kare Kano wasn't happy with what Hideaki Anno did with her manga, to the extent that he later resigned from his role as director in the second half of the series.

I personally think his interpretation ended up being more unique and worthwhile. Hard to think of many high school series that manage to top those first four episodes when it comes to young love.
Yes, she accused him of focusing to much on the comedy instead of the romance. I feel Anno's version is a vast improvement upon the original, which is nothing more than a decent shoujo romance imo. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the biggest problem for Tsuda.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 20:34   Link #36
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Quote:
Takaya Natsuki pretty much disowned the adaptation for Fruits Basket.
Agreed. I think Ms. Takaya need to reboot Fruit Basket much like FMA: Brotherhood did to its 2003 version. No wonder there is no second season of that show despie already 9 years old.

PS: While this may an old rumor but Ouran High School Host Club second season is coming. Well, I though 07-Ghost and Togainu no Chi are annoying.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 17:21   Link #37
solomon

What's unique about this is that as opposed to movies, anime is almost expected to not have drastic variances in tone and outlook. Becasue the manga itself is already a hot media property.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 18:01   Link #38
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
....The Sailor Moon anime and manga are substantially different from one another, with notable contrasts in atmosphere, tone, mood, and to some degree even characterization.....
So true....

Quote:
Takaya Natsuki pretty much disowned the adaptation for Fruits Basket.
I can kinda see why, I guess - though the manga was soooo much better imo I feel it would be hard to do a good adaptation of it without going for several seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Kiyohiko Azuma wasn't pleased with the anime adaption of Azumanga....It's a pity because Azumanga Daioh is my favorite comedy anime and Yotsubato! is simply awesome.
This is a surprise. I thought the anime adaptation for Azumanga was very well done. Hmm.
Old 2011-08-19, 19:15   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
He also put a veto on any anime adaption of Yotsubato! The official explanation is that he thinks that kind of story isn't fit for an anime adaption, but I think he also fears he'd be displeased like it happened before. Frankly I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work in an anime format.

It's a pity because Azumanga Daioh is my favorite comedy anime and Yotsubato! is simply awesome.
yeah, i never heard an adequate explanation of what he found so disappointing. I thought the adaptation was relatively spot on.
Old 2011-08-19, 20:52   Link #40
bayoab

Quote:

I thought the story on this was that he hated the process of the adaptation, not the actual final product. He disliked how the animation studio worked with him or something like that.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote