AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2011-08-17, 21:06   Link #41
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Luffy should just nuke Haki twice to save the time. But i guess everyone needs some canon folders to show off how much they have improved..
Old 2011-08-17, 22:15   Link #42
ronin myael
lost ronin

can't help laugh at luffy's childish fascination for anything that franky creates. a dinosaur? seriously? lol

this is an okay chapter for me. it's kinda hard to get excited when the fight is obviously so one-sided. hope next chapter would be more of a challenge for the straw hats.

love the new techniques though. don't think sanji could really fly, i guess it's more like michael jordan having more "air time" than most people. lol
Old 2011-08-17, 23:48   Link #43
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Anyone notice Sanji used Iva's spectrum move?

And

"he was the first Fishman to serve as a Shichibukai..."

which means that there is probably another Fishman serving as Shichibukai now..

Interesting chapter.
Old 2011-08-18, 01:17   Link #44
The Small One

If Sanji learned his Skywalk during the time he was running away from the Okamas, this means, he already learned the technique during the first few days, before Iva comes back.
Makes me wonder what kind of progress he made during the following two years.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 03:21   Link #45
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 636
That was a pretty good chapter. Zoro is a beast. Jimbi is not a let down at all. The fact that he was able to match Hodi's water attack with minimal efforts is pretty good. I wonder who strong Jimbi and Luffy are. They both got 400,000,000 beli on there bounty. Hodi is in big trouble. Is delusion that he can win is beyond belief. As far as I know the only threat to the straw hat crew would be Noah Arch that Decken sent flying. Hodi will need a miracle if he hopes to win.

Zoro
That guy as truly bulked up a lot since his two years. Zoro is full of potential. He does not have any haki or devil fruit has far has we know of and yet he is the first mate.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 06:04   Link #46
Undertaker

Wapol story is awesome, though I don't think he became a World Noble, didn't have the fish tank mask on him. (of course, it's a different story if he took over Mariejoa and turn it into his Black Drum Kingdom, but I doubt it.) But dang, look like Wapol's got himself a fine woman. One thing do worries me a bit though, Little Garden was in that last mini story, so by all account this should be Drum(Sakura) Kingdom. Could Wapol actually went back and retook Drum Island? Guess we'll find out in next week (if there's mini-story).

Now the main chapter:

Brooks' now technique is pretty awesome too, hypnosis + hallucination.

Zoro's tech is simply badass, I admit at first I was like sooo.... okkkk..... but it was impressive when the hurricane is still around after he lowered his sword, and the remark " To the end of Hell" is totally badass, in addition to perhaps the most kickass Zoro headshot in the series so far, and he got quite a few awesome ones already....

On the other hand, while Sanji's reminiscing is pretty awesome, I don't know if I'm completely impressed with his new tech. The Sky Walk is obviously Geppu and Robin noted that, but with Luffy able to use Soru in Gear 2nd pre timeskip, that didn't see too impressive to me. Though I'll admit the new Diable Jambe tech does look pretty cool.

As for Robin, man I wish to be those grunts for once. (I'm a leg man) Get the view of those magnificent leg is enough for me too.... but seriously, I find Robin's new tech the most interesting of the bunch simply because those giant legs didn't seem to be formed by thounsands of little hands or legs. Which means that she can now alter the size of the body part she grow. I can already see H-dojinshi circles having field days with this as if they didn't have enough to work with already.

Rhinocycle is pretty badass looking especially with Franky on it.

And I so called the tank in last chapter...

both designs where awesome. Oda mentioned way back that if he didn't decide to draw pirate, I would be doing mecha manga, now I really wish that after OP he'll so some mid-length mecha manga (only because I don't think he'll be albe to handle another OP-length serialization.)

Overall, this chapter is greatly entertaining and provide the usual stress release after all the story elements and the chapter is nice paced as usual, the only downside is that we still have not seen Nami and her new Tact in action...
Old 2011-08-18, 06:06   Link #47
Butagami

Dammit, I was sure alpaca tank would make an appearance! Oda actually gave me hope when he showed the tank threads....

Otherwise, It's a great chapter yet again

Awesome creator of Music
(Yeah, with a capital M. Also perfect for AMV's for example)
Butagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 10:08   Link #48
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
If Sanji learned his Skywalk during the time he was running away from the Okamas, this means, he already learned the technique during the first few days, before Iva comes back.
Makes me wonder what kind of progress he made during the following two years.

I had the impression that he learned the Sky Walk during his training, not before. Remember, while he was busy fighting the okama kenpo masters, he also had to deal with the rest of the newkamas chasing him around the island, as well. So I'm pretty sure all of that added stress contributed to his ability to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
"he was the first Fishman to serve as a Shichibukai..."

which means that there is probably another Fishman serving as Shichibukai now..

That would be interesting if true. If so, I could imagine the new fish-warlord being another remnant of the Sun pirates like Aladdin or something. I'd also consider Namur, but I sort of have my doubts that the WG would be willing to accept any more former Whitebeard pirates (especially after Teach's betrayal)......

And on a somewhat related note, I PMed aohige about Jinbei's bounty and he confirmed that his price indeed surpassed the 400 million mark. So this means that his bounty is actually higher than Luffy's, now. This really makes me wonder how much Crocodile's bounty has risen since the skip......
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 13:03   Link #49
gazawraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
how the hell did sanji used Diable Jambe in the sky???

I thought using Diable Jambe needs friction??
I presume it would be the same friction that would keep Sanji in the air in the first place.

that coupled with his increased speed may be enough to create a Diablo Jamble in the air.
gazawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 13:09   Link #50
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

And on a somewhat related note, I PMed aohige about Jinbei's bounty and he confirmed that his price indeed surpassed the 400 million mark. So this means that his bounty is actually higher than Luffy's, now. This really makes me wonder how much Crocodile's bounty has risen since the skip......
also what would Moria's bounty be when he finally resurface.
Old 2011-08-18, 13:10   Link #51
gazawraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Zoro
That guy as truly bulked up a lot since his two years. Zoro is full of potential. He does not have any haki or devil fruit has far has we know of and yet he is the first mate.
being first mate had nothing to do with power at the beginning and with Pirate Honor it will be considered a VERY messy crew if Luffy kept changing for power purposes. still it is awesome he is so powerful but that would be because he does NOTHING BUT TRAIN.
gazawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 15:57   Link #52
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Luffy should just nuke Haki twice to save the time. But i guess everyone needs some canon folders to show off how much they have improved..
Well i assume if they didn't faint in the 1st place that probably means that they're not that easy to take down with just a haki burst.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 16:25   Link #53
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
also what would Moria's bounty be when he finally resurface.

To be honest, while I'd like to see Moria get a bounty hike, I have a lot of doubts about that happening since the WG publicly announced his death after the war. It wouldn't make much sense to raise the price on a "dead" man, would it? And considering our lazy friend managed to narrowly escape certain doom right after the war, I also highly doubt he happily resumed stealing shadows out in the open during the past two years. Seems pretty obvious to me that he'd lay low for a while and make his grand return to the world when he's sufficiently prepared......

And going back to the ministory, I gave it some thought and decided that I'd be satisfied with Wapol merely becoming a king again, so I edited the opening post a bit. Still, the fact that he gained favor with the world nobles most definitely means that he isn't the same old two-bit king we remembered. He's probably risen to a status that gives him lots of special privileges similar to that of the nobles (like being able to summon a Buster Call/admiral at will, etc.). And again, I'm wondering if those dudes in the background of his cover page are an army of a new model of pacifistas.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 17:24   Link #54
Trax
Rock beats scissors

They just seem like Wapol's lackies, they don't look that impressive to me, just a bit creepy which seems to be the theme of his evil Drum kingdom. Maybe Perona will want to go live there.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 18:42   Link #55
cheese4u
da big boss

This chapter was Meh for me. They didn't really do anything we didn't already know they could do. They were all just using stronger or alternative versions of attacks that've already been seen. Although I'm sure the next few chapters will have 'real' new attacks. So far I'm not impressed.

Although I have to admit even though we've seen geppo before, the way Sanji does it is pretty awesome.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
cheese4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 19:33   Link #56
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazawraith View Post
being first mate had nothing to do with power at the beginning and with Pirate Honor it will be considered a VERY messy crew if Luffy kept changing for power purposes. still it is awesome he is so powerful but that would be because he does NOTHING BUT TRAIN.
Nature of the Role
The nature of the first mate has everything to do with power. The reason he is called first mate is to take care of thing and cover for the captain when he is down, or represent him. The first mate has to be strong. If you look at the the One Piece players they have strong First Mates. White Beard Crew Marco Phoenix, Red Hair Pirates Benn Beckman, Rogers Pirates Silvers Rayleigh, Broke Works Mr. 1, and Sun Pirates Jinbe. A captain has to be able to trust his first mate to be able to take up and carry his weight. Don’t be surprised if Silvers Rayleigh was once equal or stronger then Rogers. The fact is Rogers was dying of a disease. They needed a doctor to keep it in check. There may have been a time were Rayleigh had to step up when Rogers was weak.

What Separates the Zoro from the rest of the crew?
There is not very much that Separates the Zoro from crew. But there are small distinct features. Like the case with Ussop wanting back in at the Water 7. Then you have the case with Thriller Bark Arch were Zoro put his life on the line for Luffy. Do you think the other members could do what Zoro did in Thriller Bark and be alive to talk about it? I personally think all of them would have died. Luffy is a strong captain and if you want your crew to survive in the wake of your absence you want someone who can hold the line and carry the same wait has the captain. Sanji, Chopper, Nami, Robbin, Brooks, Usopp will never fill that role as good as Zoro. I won't be surprised if Zoro in the future is equal or greater then Luffy in strength.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 19:46   Link #57
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
To be honest, while I'd like to see Moria get a bounty hike, I have a lot of doubts about that happening since the WG publicly announced his death after the war. It wouldn't make much sense to raise the price on a "dead" man, would it? And considering our lazy friend managed to narrowly escape certain doom right after the war, I also highly doubt he happily resumed stealing shadows out in the open during the past two years. Seems pretty obvious to me that he'd lay low for a while and make his grand return to the world when he's sufficiently prepared......
Which is why i said, when he finally resurface and eventually he will. The WG will just accuse Moria of running away during the WB battle and pretending to be dead.
Old 2011-08-18, 23:14   Link #58
gaurun

everyone new moves was good. Franky new mecha not so badass though.

zoro
that tornado cut was awesome. It like crocodile sand storm. I wonder whos more strong after 2 years skip?

Sanji
now he have geppou. That good. But he need have long range attack too. Will he have rankyoku moves too?

Robin
i dont know, but maybe if now she can alter her body part at will. That incredible. How about hundred of gigantic punch? Now she can make sunny have leg too. Better transport at land? ;p

The most potential is usopp with his new tank. If he can that strong with mere kabuto, just imagine it with a tank.
gaurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 23:42   Link #59
The_Three_Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Nature of the Role
The nature of the first mate has everything to do with power. The reason he is called first mate is to take care of thing and cover for the captain when he is down, or represent him. The first mate has to be strong. If you look at the the One Piece players they have strong First Mates. White Beard Crew Marco Phoenix, Red Hair Pirates Benn Beckman, Rogers Pirates Silvers Rayleigh, Broke Works Mr. 1, and Sun Pirates Jinbe. A captain has to be able to trust his first mate to be able to take up and carry his weight. Donít be surprised if Silvers Rayleigh was once equal or stronger then Rogers. The fact is Rogers was dying of a disease. They needed a doctor to keep it in check. There may have been a time were Rayleigh had to step up when Rogers was weak.

What Separates the Zoro from the rest of the crew?
There is not very much that Separates the Zoro from crew. But there are small distinct features. Like the case with Ussop wanting back in at the Water 7. Then you have the case with Thriller Bark Arch were Zoro put his life on the line for Luffy. Do you think the other members could do what Zoro did in Thriller Bark and be alive to talk about it? I personally think all of them would have died. Luffy is a strong captain and if you want your crew to survive in the wake of your absence you want someone who can hold the line and carry the same wait has the captain. Sanji, Chopper, Nami, Robbin, Brooks, Usopp will never fill that role as good as Zoro. I won't be surprised if Zoro in the future is equal or greater then Luffy in strength.
While your definition of first mate is mostly correct, it is often a subject of debate whether or not Zoro can be considered first mate. He is never explicitly stated to be first mate, but referred to as the "swordsman." Even in Strong World, where the introduction sequence listed the roles of the Straw Hats, Zoro's was "swordsman." Since Oda was the one to write the movie itself, it is safe to say that he himself considers Zoro as the "swordsman" or a "fighter" rather than "first mate." (Kind've like Killer is to the Kid Pirates). This could possibly be because Luffy, as a captain, views his crewmates equally. He does not, for example, have more trust in Zoro than he does in Usopp. It is also impossible to say if Rayleigh ever had to step in for Roger, since there is no evidence to support this, though I do think it could be plausible.

Of course Zoro is different from the crew; he is consistently shown to be monstrously strong and have a incredible endurance to pain. His insight at Water 7 about Usopp does not necessarily point to him being first mate however. What it does show is that he believes in honor. Also, at Thriller Bark, I bet that every single crew mate would not hesitate in the slightest to give their life up for Luffy. Luffy is the one who saved them and brought them on the adventure in the first place. Whether or not they would survive Kuma's ordeal is a different matter altogether. I personally believe Zoro did not survive just because of his inhuman stamina, but because of his own will to live. Each of the Straw Hats have demonstrated that they are very determined and have a strong will, so it is debatable to say that Nami wouldn't have survived if she was in Zoro's place.

As another note on this, Sanji's role in the crew is very similar to Zoro's. While they are completely different in their respective jobs, they hold a similar set of values. At Water 7 for example, Sanji was the first to say that Zoro was right, and he would have gladly taken Luffy's place at Thriller Bark if he hadn't been knocked out by Zoro. I do not agree with the theory that since Zoro is "first mate" he has to be incredibly strong and almost equal to the captain. Luffy, Zoro and Sanji are roughly equal in strength, but they since they will probably not fight each other, we won't know who is stronger.
The_Three_Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 01:36   Link #60
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

^ I thought that was the whole point to their comedic rivalry. Kind of like a tease from Oda about which one is the 1st mate, when he intends the struggle to go on forever and there never to be one. I'm not saying that this is the reason they fight with each other, because in the manga, all they are aware of is that they don't like each others personality. But from the author's point of view, this is what is intended.

Both Sanji and Zoro have the qualities of being a 1st mate, what we've seen is that Zoro has simply knocked Sanji out when he wanted to prove himself.

In terms of raw power, the undertone is that Zoro will be indefinitely stronger, but Sanji has better leadership skills (zoro always getting lost, sanji always having a plan).

Hope you guys get what I'm trying to say here haha.