AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-28, 10:34   Link #781
Creed
Mad Hatter

Send a message via Yahoo to Creed
It's just the nature of the discussion when dealing with two animations of the same franchise.

While I myself am trying to clear away the rubble of my expectations to make room for a true impression of the work, I know that the fact that I saw something similar- with elements I liked more- first, my whole view of it is unfixably tainted.
Creed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 12:57   Link #782
dan-heron

yeah, I'm not comparing both animations when I watch the anime. I'm just waiting to see what the series delivers and so far, I'm happy with most of it, even the new designs. The only thing that annoys me is how short it's going to be.

Oh well, here, a crossover pic while we wait for the next episode
dan-heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 00:25   Link #783
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-heron View Post
... Rising, did you start with the last episode?

OVA Yomi and Anime Yomi CANNOT have the same personality. Their lives were clearly different, and their relationships to other people are what make them what they are. In the OVA Yomi never connected to others so she clung to the first person who tried to connect with her, doing things like joining the volleyball team so she can at least see Mato. While in the anime she had a parasitic relationship with Kagari which made her develop a psychological need to have other people depend on her to determine her worth in life. Yomi didn't "go emo", she just lost the last shreds that kept her sane, which has been going for quite a few episodes, which makes me wonder how could people miss that.

Kagari's change is explained as the same reason Kohata forgot the guy she loved, the difference being that one spans years and the other just a short period of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Comparisons between the two cannot be helped, but I really hope that these comparisons end immediately. =_=
I think you missed my point. There was no comparison, and Yomi was built up to be with the same personalities that she has in the OVA, just with different background and circumstances (something like alternative universe). If Mato (OVA), after being so close friend with Yomi (OVA), broke her own legs, blame it all on Yomi (OVA), before spending a few years on wheelchairs, stalking Yomi everyday and forcing the idea on who can she be friend with.... then we have what we have here between Yomi(TV) and Kagari (TV)

There is that inconsistency and over-dramatic play here, not between OVA and the TV series, but between the episodes of TV series (unless their personalities really altered significantly by what happened in Another World). Yomi used to be so meek, and weak against her guilty conscious that she was unable to refuse Kagari's advances and commands (e.g. let her draw a heart with needle on her chests). So much that she probably will show little resistance if Kagari raped her then. She also keeps everything to herself and avoid any drama if she can. And then boom, now she can order her mom to lock out Kagari and Mato, and let them waiting out in the rain, while screaming at classmates on what she think (or what she want them to think she do)
Old 2012-02-29, 00:41   Link #784
dan-heron

Hmm? I thought it was pretty obvious by having both Saya and Saw's actions. Remember that bit of "Nobody would care if you didn't exist" and Saw entering Dead's domain?

You know, the whole green lighting and stuff that ultimately ends with Dead awakening.

It was built up through the entire episode, and part of the previous ones too.

And no, they can't have the same personalities. Their lives shape up who they are, so it's not of "Same personalities but with different backgrounds and circumstances". Once you have different backgrounds and circumstances that means they don't have the same personality at all.

ESPECIALLY when it happens at such young age.
Old 2012-02-29, 03:44   Link #785
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
Hmm? I thought it was pretty obvious by having both Saya and Saw's actions. Remember that bit of "Nobody would care if you didn't exist" and Saw entering Dead's domain?

You know, the whole green lighting and stuff that ultimately ends with Dead awakening.

It was built up through the entire episode, and part of the previous ones too.

And no, they can't have the same personalities. Their lives shape up who they are, so it's not of "Same personalities but with different backgrounds and circumstances". Once you have different backgrounds and circumstances that means they don't have the same personality at all.

ESPECIALLY when it happens at such young age.
I already stated than unless what happened in the Other World can alter personalities, otherwise it's inconsistent.

Words eh? How's about similar personalities instead of same then? And kid's brain are developed up till 12 years old,but 80% of them was within the first 6 years
Old 2012-02-29, 09:16   Link #786
dan-heron

Kagari and Yomi were younger when the accident happened.

and, what happens in Otherworld can alter personalities
Old 2012-02-29, 21:38   Link #787
Kitsu Breaker

BTW, guys, somebody read the manga? I heard is pretty more yuri than the anime
Old 2012-02-29, 21:42   Link #788
dan-heron

not really Yuri... unless you count almost every moment Dead and Rock met... or that time where a girl wanted to go on a date with Dead -that also involved a love hotel-... or a flashback to a girl trying to confess to another girl...
Old 2012-02-29, 21:57   Link #789
Elestia

Best end for me.

Old 2012-02-29, 22:49   Link #790
superslinger2007
Local "fugitive"

Too much Death-Star-bait-craziness* lately. I wish they'd calm down with that.

*aka yandere behaviour
Old 2012-03-01, 13:20   Link #791
dan-heron

so, just watched the latest episode

Spoiler for episode:
Old 2012-03-01, 15:18   Link #792
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

eventually all girls would end up mindbreak

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 15:26   Link #793
xizro345
King's Justice

I've just skimmed through it so it's hard to judge the writing but....

Spoiler for Episode 5:
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 15:47   Link #794
dan-heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
eventually all girls would end up mindbreak
Well, you can say Mato's is worst of them all.

You know
Spoiler:
Old 2012-03-01, 16:09   Link #795
Kazu-kun

And here we thought that Mato/BRS was going to be the hero that would save everyone.

Now that I think about it, even though she was abused by Kagari, Yomi was lot happier before meeting Mato lol.
Old 2012-03-01, 16:37   Link #796
Ichijo

Spoiler for Ep 5:
Ichijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 16:45   Link #797
Witched

Quote:
Oh well, here, a crossover pic while we wait for the next episode
This crossover picture really describes them.

Especially since Mato/BRS (Madoka) have been trying to make everything better and is best friends with Yuu/Strength (Sayaka), who might end up breaking down in the end while trying to do the 'right' thing for them.

Then there's Yomi/Dead Master (Homura) with her emotional distance, especially since she was very shy, and Kagari/Chariot (Mami) with those heads and broken when a certain event happens.

And finally, Saya/BGS (Kyouko) 'helps' people.

Spoiler for Episode 5:
Witched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 19:27   Link #798
Elestia

One thing I would have to complain is that the closeup shots of DM during the fights were kind of cluttered up by the veil and her green glasses. The fights scenes themselves were top notch this episode. The choreographing was just superb. The plot was better this time, but I still rolled my eyes from time to time. We were shown more ways to be creeped out by Yomi's descent into depravity and madness. The painting of Mato and that bracelet Yomi gave to Yuu was some seriously messed up shit.

I'm still not too thrilled on the way the writers are torturing the characters to get an emotional response from me, but they at the very least manage make me shudder with awe at the mental breakdowns each character goes through. And the thing with Saya mock-strangling Mato was just WTF.

Yuu being the one to shed light on the other world came out of left field for me. She through some hints from the beginning episode, but I always assumed she was merely speaking more about an alter-ego like persona facets. I guess the writers are setting up a fight between Strength and IBRS with the way the developments are unfolding so far.
Old 2012-03-01, 19:51   Link #799
dan-heron

well, there were hints in previous episodes.

Spoiler:

Last edited by dan-heron; 2012-03-01 at 20:27.
Old 2012-03-01, 20:26   Link #800
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

Now, if dream world connected to real world and materialize, would be very amazing development.

9/10.

Current manga list
Claymore | Yumekui Merry | Uwa Koi | Toyko Ghoul | Akame ga Kill | Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio | Gokukoku no Brynhildr | Monster Musume | Freezing
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, slice of life