AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-20, 23:30   Link #61
xridz

i play char 50/50..depends on the sprite..if male sprite > female i choose male..if female > male..i play female
xridz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 23:37   Link #62
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
RPGs I choose a female character.

Especially if it's third person. If I have to star at an arse for the better part of thirty hours it might as well be a girl's.

In strategy or fighting games I choose blokes because I like to picture that character actually as myself.

The only exception I can think off was my Metal Gear Online character. 'Panty Parade' in her jet black fatigues was a lean mean CQB ass kicking machine. Haha.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 23:59   Link #63
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vento View Post
I'm a girl and I play as a girl xD
Lol. Me too. It feels weird playing as a dude... Unless it's a dummy account. XD

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 00:28   Link #64
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
Sometimes I choose females because the males look butch/ugly/dumb or just don't seem as interesting.
this.

reason why i play femshep is because broshep is generic spez marine
Old 2011-08-21, 01:16   Link #65
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

@ Vento/Pink Cow.

On the opposite side of the coin I know 3-4 women from my WoW guild that play male characters for various reasons.
Old 2011-08-21, 01:19   Link #66
Xacual
The color of a Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
@ Vento/Pink Cow.

On the opposite side of the coin I know 3-4 women from my WoW guild that play male characters for various reasons.
My two long time WoW friends both started with male characters as their first characters in WoW. Though they tend to play whatever they want now, I'd say they actually have a pretty even split of male or female characters.
Old 2011-08-21, 13:23   Link #67
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
I like seeing titties jiggle, is there any other reason? lol

If its a game though that involves "relationship" building, I'd pick a guy character period. (ie rune factory, harvest moon) I feel rather uncomfortable "macking" on a male npc lol XD
Old 2011-08-21, 13:29   Link #68
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
Lol. Me too. It feels weird playing as a dude... Unless it's a dummy account. XD
I have 3 friends who are female that routinely play male characters in some MMOs simply to avoid the "dumb ass young jerk males" type of idiot. OTOH.... the more well-established long-running MMOs (like EQ2, AO, etc), they feel more comfortable playing female characters (fewer DAYJMs).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 15:23   Link #69
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
At least in the multiplayer realm, people treat you completely differently if they think you are a girl. This leads to perfect trolling opportunities because many people frequently devolve into simmering piles of trash if they think they have the chance of talking with someone that is a female. Fortunately, most of these people are creepy douchebags that deserve what they get.

The other problem is that it's actually very hard for someone to admit they are female online due to these same morons and their sexist behavior. Therefore, for every troll that pretends to be one, they can occupy and waste the time of many of these fools so they can't harass actual female users. Consider it a service.

Applies to the internet as a whole of course.

Edit: Also, you can roleplay your favorite anime characters. Nothing is better than convincing some creep colony that your favorite female anime characters, are in fact, real.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 23:52   Link #70
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
@ Vento/Pink Cow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have 3 friends who are female that routinely play male characters in some MMOs simply to avoid the "dumb ass young jerk males" type of idiot. OTOH.... the more well-established long-running MMOs (like EQ2, AO, etc), they feel more comfortable playing female characters (fewer DAYJMs).
I also know a few girls who play as males. But they're a real minority compared to the dudes who play as females. But I can understand a girl playing as male just to avoid the harassment. It is quite annoying. But for me, in general, if I had to pick a male avatar, it would feel weird. If I know I'm going to play an MMORPG for a long time, I'd stick to what my gender is. If it's just for trying it out, or a dummy character, I'd pick the male one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
At least in the multiplayer realm, people treat you completely differently if they think you are a girl. This leads to perfect trolling opportunities because many people frequently devolve into simmering piles of trash if they think they have the chance of talking with someone that is a female. Fortunately, most of these people are creepy douchebags that deserve what they get.

The other problem is that it's actually very hard for someone to admit they are female online due to these same morons and their sexist behavior. Therefore, for every troll that pretends to be one, they can occupy and waste the time of many of these fools so they can't harass actual female users. Consider it a service.

Edit: Also, you can roleplay your favorite anime characters. Nothing is better than convincing some creep colony that your favorite female anime characters, are in fact, real.
Lol, I guess that's a good way to put it.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 00:14   Link #71
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

You bring up a good point, pretending to be a girl gets you freebies!
Old 2011-08-22, 10:14   Link #72
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

They wanna see some ass?
Old 2011-08-22, 12:07   Link #73
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Honestly, I think the most significant reason for playing a female character as a male is just having something pleasant to look at. It's how we are.

And the fact that males generally look horribly boring, dumb, stereotypical, ...the only time I play a male character somewhere is when I'm able to create a white haired, scarred old bastard in a badass full-plate armor and a two-hander in his hands.

Sorry, but I just can't stand playing some friggin' male teen idol. Asian MMOs, I'm looking at you! Don't play innocent!
Old 2011-08-22, 12:18   Link #74
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Asian MMOs = I play the girls.

But if the males looks MANLY, I WILL play the guys. If I can play a male mage class close to being Gandalf-y in looks, I'll play male mage, otherwise I play female mage for boing boing.

I will always remember the surpsied when my guild in RO found out I was a guy all along. I was like, "Well, duh! You never asked."
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 12:54   Link #75
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I find myself playing female if it's either human or some kind of elvish race (generally prefer the female heroine), and male if it's some kind of orcish, beasty race or just evil (since I prefer the male antagonist) -- as for dwarf like races, I don't play those. There are other reasons too, male characters in human-like races tend to either look like they have a carrot stuck in their ass (eg. WoW, WoW-clones), are some sort of drug addicts or prostitutes, or were born in some steroids tube (eg. everyone suffering from gorilla syndrome). Then there are class issues, I like male for warriors but like female for mages, unless there's an option for males to make them baldies with huge beards.

Anyway I don't think it really matters which one you play; I pick and choose whichever I deem more fun at the time. You have to be pretty self centered and a ego-maniac to project yourself into a virtual character IMO. I think the fact that most who were very vocal about it here, along with the opening seem to use female avatars proves this is a non-issue.
Old 2011-08-22, 22:31   Link #76
FateAnomaly

^wow that's exactly what i feel myself.

I tends to create girl characters more often than guy for mainly 3 reasons. They look better, their costumes are prettier and i prefer caster type classes.
Even though i mostly use female avatars, I never pretend to be one. If anyone asks, i always say i am a guy.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 23:55   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
^wow that's exactly what i feel myself.

I tends to create girl characters more often than guy for mainly 3 reasons. They look better, their costumes are prettier and i prefer caster type classes.
Even though i mostly use female avatars, I never pretend to be one. If anyone asks, i always say i am a guy.
The deeper question is WHY are they asking in the first place? You're in a virtual world, playing an unearthly creature, doing impossible things. I just find it a bit inane when people worry about the age/sex/religion/politics of the puppeteer. Is it relevant to the game? Nope. Is it going to change how they act or how they treat your avatar? Why?
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 00:47   Link #78
Xion Valkyrie

It's cause they're hoping the person behind the hot female character they're hitting on is an actual girl, duuuuuh.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 01:05   Link #79
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
It's cause they're hoping the person behind the hot female character they're hitting on is an actual girl, duuuuuh.
Personally I assume male for everybody, including the "I'm actually a girl" people until I hear voice chat, and after that I still couldn't give less of a damn.

You either know how to play or you don't, I'm no babysitter.
Old 2011-08-23, 01:34   Link #80
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Hear hear.

Generally treating everyone the same yields better results I find. Don't mind being patient for some people if there is something they don't get but I ain't going to pander to them. That leads to drama, and drama can go DIAF. Nothing worse then someone accusing someone of favouritism. I've seen many-a-guild collapse because someone thinks with their dick rather then their brain. It's why I like to think my WoW Guild has existed successfully for 6 years.