AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-23, 01:58   Link #81
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The deeper question is WHY are they asking in the first place? You're in a virtual world, playing an unearthly creature, doing impossible things. I just find it a bit inane when people worry about the age/sex/religion/politics of the puppeteer. Is it relevant to the game? Nope. Is it going to change how they act or how they treat your avatar? Why?
The general mindset is female = chance of flirting in addition to having a "nice partner" to quest/do instance with. I won't daresay that most of these people are sexist or try to kiss the lady's foot with freebies (I've heard of a few guild crisises on the WoW forums caused by something like that) because there actual scenarios where a couple has been "formed" from in-MMOG to a real world relationship. But I would doubt the latter group with "good intentions" is that representative ...

As a mainly solo-quester I'm rather glad that I can just focus on which gender's back I'd like to look from Level 1 - xx.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 02:33   Link #82
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
You bring up a good point, pretending to be a girl gets you freebies!
Crap, they're gonna catch on.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 19:18   Link #83
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

If I'm given a choice, I usually play as a girl. Primarily just for aesthetic reasons, I like how women look and move... If there are dating elements I'd probably choose a guy. Chatting up a guy as a female character would feel weird...

As for MMOs, I'd probably go Male, because that's how I'd like other people to see me. Though I try and avoid "big burly" males if possible.

However I would enjoy playing a game that featured female perspective more completely. A game that explored gender might be interesting...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 01:02   Link #84
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Crap, they're gonna catch on.
This has been going on since Ultima Online, and people still haven't caught on yet.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 09:08   Link #85
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
This has been going on since Ultima Online, and people still haven't caught on yet.
Anything special we should know about the game?
Old 2011-08-24, 09:17   Link #86
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
In games where you have to "create your character" such as MMO's I'm always male. (Even though I hardly play any games like that. ) The point of it is to make an avatar that represents yourself, so why create and play as something that's female when I'm clearly not?
I think you've misunderstood what RPG stands for. Role playing Game. See the part where it says role playing? You do realize you can role play a character without actually being same gender of it, same occupation as the character, or such? The point of RPG is not to make character that represents you, but to role play. If you want to role play as yourself, go ahead, but that can't really be called role playing then, now can it?

When people ask of me why I play a female, I usually reply something such as '' Girls are cute, so if I'm gonna play this game why at least not look at a pretty girl while playing ''. This is half joke though, but seriously, there is just something about playing as a girl.. I do, sometimes, play males too. It usually depends on the class of the character.
Old 2011-08-24, 10:08   Link #87
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

So if playing as a girl can incite someone to be overprotective over someone who is actually a G.I.R.L, does that mean any guy who does that is taking the role of a trap?
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless hothead, a girl packing enough heat to make the NRA jealous, a near-psycho who can block out pain, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 11:11   Link #88
NoLongerSane

Well, the games that I have played I have gone to both the male and female characters. In truth some of my favorite characters that I have played were female. In the Phantasy Star Online games, I tend to play the male robot ranger but I use the female mage due to her ability to use certain guns along with tech support. In Diablo II, I mained two characters, the Druid and the Assasin. I enjoyed the assassin due to her melee abilities along with the fact that I worked very well in group play (I teched the martial art abilities because I loved using the claws in melee).
Old 2011-08-25, 14:51   Link #89
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It's mostly situational for me, and I'm not afraid to admit aesthetics and the fact I'm male plays into it at times. In games with third-person views, like Fallout 3/New Vegas... well, I'd like something nice to look at. Especially if I have a choice between male and female characters with neutral dialogue. Fallout 3's character personality is left entirely up to the player, leaving the deciding choice down to aesthetics, so for there, the lady wins out.

Other games it's not as simple--Dragon Age: Origins, for example, where the game can change radically depending on race and gender--my first character there was a human male. I'll explore other gender runs later. Dragon Age II? Not so much. From what I've played and what I've watched and read, there's little difference between Garrett and Marian Hawke, especially with how the romance options work. And character creation aside, Marian doesn't physically appeal to me all that much, so ironically I prefer playing as a male character there. Similar situation with Mass Effect 1 and 2, as the default Femshep doesn't appeal to me physically and there's little difference gameplay-wise in the gender. I don't care for default Shepard there either, though, so for me, there's no win.

When it comes to games with set characters of varying genders, it tends to come down to personalities and characterization, so it's all up in the air. In Left 4 Dead, I prefer Zoey. In Left 4 Dead 2, I prefer Nick. And some games with different characters of varying genders, it doesn't matter too much--Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin? Gonna use both characters anyway.

And fighting games... well, the only one I ever did good at was Darkstalkers 3, and only with Morrigan, so go figure.

Then there's games where you can't really *see* the character even if you know it's a male or female. Noble Six in Halo: Reach, for example... I make my avatar there male, simply because he fills out the MJOLNIR armor better than the female Noble Six. Her narrower arms and the unyielding shoulder plate options make it look somewhat awkward. And Lost Planet 2... well, the females can look very nice in there, but it's really, really odd to play the story that way, and have some sexy lady in skimpy or tight-fitting armor sound like Cheech or Chong (episode 5, I'm lookin' at you).

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2011-08-25 at 20:51.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 19:02   Link #90
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

RE Mass Effect, another factor is the VAs. For Femshep, Jennifer Hale is very good. Male Shep isn't bad either, but I think Hale does a better job. Some Femsheps are quite pretty though...
Old 2011-08-25, 19:06   Link #91
SageGaiGar
You are Next

I kind of go 50/50 wherever my whims go. I'd rather make a unique avatar, which usually is possible in a game like in Aion. in APB I really screwed up my first char (female enforcer) and generally wish I had just stuck with a male since overall the customization leans heavily in a certain direction.

And I also will lean heavily toward a male char in games with date-sim elements, though I rolled with a female elf mage in an unfinished run of DA:O
Old 2011-08-25, 19:33   Link #92
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
I kind of go 50/50 wherever my whims go. I'd rather make a unique avatar, which usually is possible in a game like in Aion. in APB I really screwed up my first char (female enforcer) and generally wish I had just stuck with a male since overall the customization leans heavily in a certain direction.

And I also will lean heavily toward a male char in games with date-sim elements, though I rolled with a female elf mage in an unfinished run of DA:O
If dating elements are involved, I usually go male, but if the MC is shown speaking as much as the other characters, and has similiar amounts of personality (IE is not a "blank slate" type character) I can see myself going back to female.

So in Dragon Age, I went male, because the MC doesn't get shown actually speaking much. In Mass Effect I went female, because Shephard is shown speaking just as much as other characters so I find that more enjoyable.

When Romance subplots are involved in a game I tend to focus on the female more, whether they are the main character or not.
Old 2011-08-25, 20:00   Link #93
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Since most RPGs are from 3rd person's view, do you prefer to stare at a male characters ass for long hours or a hot female's?
^ This

I've never picked a male character in a Rpg
Except for those cases where you were forced to use a male character, since the game didn't let you pick a character. That's nasty
Staring at a male's ass while you're playing just really sucks (no offense to any homo-erotic folks in here... whatever suits your fancy)

Just btw, I only play single-player Rpgs. Not too fond of Mmos, and they're too expensive (either a monthly fee, or you must buy equipment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
@Xacual
Yeah I've never really seen my character as a representation of myself.
Same here. It's a *Role* Playing Game.
Old 2011-08-26, 04:01   Link #94
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Anything special we should know about the game?
I don't mean that I'm personally doing it
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 12:18   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
... Role playing Game. See the part where it says role playing? You do realize you can role play a character without actually being same gender of it, same occupation as the character, or such? The point of RPG is not to make character that represents you, but to role play. If you want to role play as yourself, go ahead, but that can't really be called role playing then, now can it?
Requoted for Great Truth "role play", to act as something you're not for entertainment or to stretch yourself in an acting sense.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-08-26 at 12:37.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 18:43   Link #96
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I am a girl, and I usually play as female characters. Because I like them better.

Of course, just because Adam Jensen is a man does not mean I will pass on DXHR.
Old 2011-08-28, 19:25   Link #97
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
They wanna see some ass?
While everyone else is philosophizing the reason, blakstealth has summed it up in less than half a dozen words.

Well done.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 23:05   Link #98
Dragonkid11
A random-man

I play as guy in MMORPG most of the time,sometimes play as female for no reason.

Why girl don't play as guy oftenly in MMO?Probably because they don't want to at all for no reason...
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 02:59   Link #99
Haikea

All my "permanent" characters are male. Personally I feel that it would be like worshipping female figures, if I want to see their cute shapes everytime I play those games. This can be a bit bad because I want to see females as humans which have different way of thinking. Of course, my primal instincts hammer my head all the time telling that I'm stupid, but I have "respected" females in strange ways as long as I remember. Like not treating them as personal "sex objects" even in virtual world. This occurs also in some anime characters I like. Watching hentai scenes of those characters would just ruin the "wonderful memory".

Some games allow for example PvP-only characters or something which can be replaced easily. I use females on them mostly for tactical reasons and maybe a bit for psychological manipulation. Smaller characters are harder to notice and people who like cute things, it is a minor "mindfck" for them for killing things they like. Online games are also filled with kids who like to bully people around and be a hero. Well, killing little cute girls is not so heroic, is it?

Yes, I abuse females certain ways.
Old 2011-09-01, 06:26   Link #100
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I play as a female if I am pretty sure that for the duration of however long I play it for I will just end up trolling, and quitting the game in 2 weeks.

I play as a male if there's an inkling I'll still play the game after a month.

Soul Master I played as a male - Forsaken World, female.

If it's a in depth RPG though, it'll be male.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote