AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2013-06-10, 18:35   Link #1
Lyocol
Banned

Yesteryear shows(2008-2012)

You can suggest me anything you had in your mind as long as they are shown between 2008 and 2012 but there still some rules:

1. No gory horror shows like Shiki, Blood-C and Another. Those are better left forgotten.

2. No reverse-harem shows(I believe they all crap anyway) but normal ones(1 boy, many girls) still welcomes as long as they are good.
Lyocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 19:19   Link #2
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I didn't see lots of good shows but I still can recommend you some few.

1. Special A (Spring 2008)

Yes it's shoujo but don't let that fool you. While it got many criticism for being too similar to Ouran Highschool Host Club, but I don't see any. By the way it's not a reverse-harem show like Ouran was and in fact it actually have likable female like Akira, who is my personal favorite. No other girl-friend type characters in other shoujo shows can be good as her and in fact so good that some people, including myself accused her for being a lesbian(which is not). You can give several episodes for try.

2. True Tears (Winter 2008)

One of my favorite non-shoujo romance show although it's little bit short. It may not the best seinen show or best seinen romance show but given its production qualities for its time, you should give it a try.

3. Gundam 00 Second Season (Autumn 2008)

While not as good as first season but still worth to try especially if you're fan. It's production qualities still high just like its first season.

4. Aoi Hana (Summer 2009)

Probably the best yuri show of all time with great production qualities and characters but too but it's short(11 episodes) and there's no sequel on sight.

5. Madoka Magica (Winter 2011)

An interesting dark twist to mahou shoujo genre but please watch first 3 episodes before you judge.

6. Psycho Pass (Autumn 2012)

I never saw this myself but from most people who saw it, it's quite good(though some of them hates the character designer).

This one is not really a recommendation but if you brave enough you can check Yosuga no Sora (Autumn 2010). It's not for the faint-hearted but you can judge other aspects than characters and plots like its production qualities which is quite high for its time. Don't hate me if you ends up hating it.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 21:11   Link #3
devildog23
Summerlurking

Bakemonogatari - definitely one of my favorite anime that has aired between 2008 and 2012. Great character development, but not so much overall plot. Semi-episodic with 2-3 episodes per arc.

Darker than Black - although this aired in 2007, the quality was way ahead of its time, so I thought it would be okay to suggest. First season has everything you could want in a series and is presented with such style. One of my favorite characters is the protagonist.

Higashi no Eden + Films - Another one of my favorites. The premise easily drew me in, but the art not so much. You eventually get used to the art and the characters are great.

Zetsuen no Tempest - Probably my favorite anime of 2012. Art and style are a plus. Characters are good.

Cross Game - about baseball, and much much more. Just try it.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - a remake of the original series with no derivations from the manga.
Old 2013-06-15, 16:44   Link #4
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
I just took a quick look at what I saw from 2008 to 2012 and there's quite a list of shows I would suggest (some very good years in there).

Kameruka and devildog23 already gave some good ideas but I'll add a few of my own. I'll stick to safe bets since you didn't elaborate much on your preferences.

For typical action you should probably be looking into:
  • Toaru Majutsu no Index (both seasons and it's spinoff, Toaru Majutsu no Index)
  • Durarara!!
  • Fate/Zero
  • Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Darker Than Black (it's a bit older but it's second season landed during your timeframe)

For the stereotypical harem VN adaptation:
  • Amagami SS (and it's sequel Amagami SS+)

On a similar note but on the more dramatic side of the VN adaptations there's a couple of heavy hitters as well:
  • Clannad (it's sequel, After Story, lands in your timeframe)
  • Ef: A Tale of Memories/Melodies
  • Toradora!
  • True Tears

A couple of shows that were absolute must watch during their respective seasons:
  • Bakemonogatari (and it's sequel, Nisemonogatari)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica
  • Steins;Gate

As for comedy you should probably look into the following shows:
  • Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
  • Working!

I would also add a few other shows that I personally thought were particularly worthy of note:
  • Eden of the East
  • Hyouka
  • Moretsu Pirates
  • Girls und Panzer

And off course there's the big elephant in the room that is K-On! but I find it easier to suggest that one to people who don't regularly watch anime.

Personally, if I had to pick just a couple of shows to watch from this list I would go for Madoka Magica and Fullmetal Alchemist. Both should be on any anime fan watchlist with the first having the potential to reach Cowboy Bebop level at least (Evangelion level if you want to go all out on the hyperbole ).

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 20:31   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Obviously you've seen some of them so sorry if I recommend ones you've already seen.

Must see:

Madoka Magica
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Cross Game
Penguindrum
Bunny Drop

I'll also suggest:

Tiger & Bunny
Ben-To
Bodacious Space Pirates
Chihayafuru
Ano Hana
Steins Gate
The World God Only Knows
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Soul Eater
Kimi ni Todoke
K-On
A Certain Scientific Railgun

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 19:56   Link #6
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

@Dextro: I deliberately not to suggest K-On and its sequel because since it is a moe show, it's not everyone's cup of tea. The same goes for A-Channel and Girls und Panzer as well.

Back to topic I had some new suggestions which OP can try for first few episodes:

1. Kaichou wa Maid-sama (Spring 2010)

This show is much like a cheese. Some people loves it while others hated it in equal measures. I personally found it to be mediocre at best although it does break free most stereotypes which can be found in most other shoujo shows.

2. Kimi to Boku

K-On for women and many times less the music, what do you expect? It is many times better than Hetalia although I personally never seen it too. Feel free to check first few episodes before dropping it.

3. Queen's Blade series (2009-2012)

Tired of unrealistically handsome guys(bishies)? This one is for you. Yes don't expect anything 'clever' from this show and it is better seen for fanservice alone than characters and plot. I Personally find that its fight scenes are better more nicely done than most shounen shows which I saw(including One Piece).

4. Usagi Drop

Probably the best josei heavy drama I ever seen but too bad there's no sequel in sight. Not to mention heavy drama is a very unpopular genre for anime in general.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 03:23   Link #7
marinne14

suzumiya haruhi 09
sora no otoshimono
for a great laugh harem
Druaga ~Sword of uruk~
or maybe Clannad? XD
Old 2013-06-29, 14:45   Link #8
oompa loompa

Been watching a not so often named series Birdy the Mighty Decode. It is somewhat regular shonen fair, but I must say it is pretty well done, and the characters are all likeable and not in-your-face. It's really a gem of a show.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 16:03   Link #9
Darthtabby

For me, these are some of the stand out titles of the 2008-2012 period. Note that my tastes are rather diverse, so just because you like one of these doesn't mean you'll like the others and vice versa.

Macross Frontier (2008): This series reminded me of when I first saw Star Wars as a kid despite the fact that I was twenty one when I saw it. Its also got a pretty memorable cast of characters, some of whom seem like archetypes at first but later prove to be more complex. Granted the show does have some issues, most notably its unsatisfactory handling of the central love triangle, but there are a lot of things it does very well.
Ga-Rei Zero (2008): This initially seems like a supernatural action series, and to some degree it is, but it's also an emotionally charged drama/tragedy. It also features one of the most memorable troll first episodes ever. It's rather gory though.
B Gata H Kei (2010): This is essentially a comedy about how awkward sexual relations between teenagers can be. It caused an absolutely massive uproar back when it first aired despite actually being pretty tame compared to some of the other stuff that was out there at the time. (I remember one reviewer implying the show set a new low for the anime industry, then criticized it for being too stingy with the fan service.)
Ben-to (2011): This show's main draw is watching starving students fight for food in brutal supermarket free for alls. Its also rather ecchi though.
Tari Tari (2012): I like a good down to earth drama/comedy series occasionally, and this one was pretty good. Its also notable for being one show about teenagers which actually gives adult characters significant roles to play.

I'll also give 2009's Canaan an honourable mention -I kind of felt like the writing didn't deliver properly in the later parts of the series, but the action scenes were top tier.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 05:06   Link #10
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Been watching a not so often named series Birdy the Mighty Decode. It is somewhat regular shonen fair, but I must say it is pretty well done, and the characters are all likeable and not in-your-face. It's really a gem of a show.
I would also like recommend this one. I agree it has great characters, but also incredible animation (even in comparison to present shows) and decent plot, which shine especialy due second season.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 06:05   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This is a fallow period for me, but here are few shows that haven't yet been mentioned:

Kurenai (2008) - A sixteen-year old boy with an unusual after-school job is asked to look after a kidnapped seven-year-old girl from a powerful family. An unusual mixture of comedy, fighting, and slice-of-life with a little romance as well. All excellently packaged by Brains-Base.

Higepiyo (2009) - A bearded chick of the poultry variety with samurai ambitions comes to live with a Japanese family. Short episodes like Chi's Sweet Home, but Higepiyo is much more edgy. He is voiced by Paku Romi in an extraordinarily funny performance.

Level E (2011) - Aliens living among us and even a crew of "men in black." (The original manga appeared two years before the movie; I've wondered if there was a connection.) The Prince is an hilariously silly but clever guy.

Kemono no Sou-ja Erin (2009) - Another I.G adaptation of a novel by Uehashi Nahoko who wrote the Moribito series. They share some themes like Uehashi's fascination with the role of creation myths in later political developments. Erin is pitched at a slightly younger audience than Moribito, hence its art style and the two comic-relief characters, but it is still very compelling for older viewers. (An early CR release and it shows; the fansubs are preferable.)

Nijuu Mensou no Musume (2008) - Based on a manga that uses characters from the famous detective novels by Edogawa Rampo, Japan's Arthur Conan Doyle. A orphaned heiress is kidnapped by a mysterious master thief and joins his band. One of Hirano Aya's less well-known VA roles, though I think it is one of her best. Her delivery of a single line near the end of episode three was stunning.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (2009) - A middle-school girl and her younger brother are stranded far away from home when a massive earthquake hits Tokyo. Together with a young woman who befriends them, they make their way across the city and mature as they deal with the destruction around them.

Sarai-ya Goyou (2010) - A ronin is recruited by a band of kidnappers. Strong dialogue and settings; more of a slice-of-life story than a drama.