AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2012-04-27, 10:38   Link #381
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I caught myself getting really upset at this. A fact that I hope you'll all remind me of the next time I try to claim that I'm not a huge nerd.

That tennis team doesn't seem to play much tennis, but they do take a lot of showers.

I had a momentary fantasy that someone might make a Babu plush doll, and reflexively began trying to stuff money into my disk drive.
Yea, this also happens plenty in the manga and coincidentally also has plenty of people complaining about it.

I personally think it's cute...so I don't care.

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 11:05   Link #382
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Zombie, no blood, so skin is white!
Zombie, no blood, but she can blush!
...............(; ・`ω・)?
Incidentally, zombies have blood. It just isn't circulating any more, since the heart is, well, dead.

The realistic alternative would be to show the effects of her blood congealing in her extremities: her hands and feet would swell and turn coal black. Basically, it won't be a pretty sight, let alone be moe.

I believe it's clear, even without reading the manga, that Rea has to eat hydrangea leaves to stave off rigor mortis, just like Babu did. I suppose that means the herb somehow keeps the blood circulating, preventing the flesh from decomposing.

All in all, I greatly enjoy the deeper meaning behind the reversal of Rea's fate. She was effectively "dead" while she was alive and, conversely, more "alive" now that she is dead. The last major character I recall being in a similar situation was Kikyo of Inuyasha. While alive, Kikyo was forced to suppress her feelings to fulfil her duties as her shrine maiden. Tragically, by the time she was free to act on her emotions, she was no longer human.

That's a fitting description for Rea, too.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 11:46   Link #383
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Incidentally, zombies have blood. It just isn't circulating any more, since the heart is, well, dead.
I would agree if this was a magical setting (where everything can be explained with some kind of magic), but since we are on magic-less/scientific setting, then I would have to conclude that she must have some kind of circulation, maybe it is very slow done with the rest of her body muscles. Unlike the vampires in Shiki she is still breathing, albeit we don't know if she need oxigen. There must be a metabolism of somekind if she can she still can think and talk.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 12:58   Link #384
ookamigirl

Furuya & zombie Rea.
Her dad is a lunatic with a serious daughter complex.
Wanko was all LOL & pissed about that tunnel from last time ^^
Furuya's grandpa sure is energetic ROFL
Guess Furuya's zombie romance came true ^^
Now he only needs to keep her from rotting...

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 13:10   Link #385
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

At the very least, her brain seems to still be functioning, as does most of her central nerve system and muscles, so some internal organs seem to have survived.

That, or it's merely the hydrangea that prevents them from shutting down, meaning she could still decompose if she fails to eat any for a prolonged period of time.
Old 2012-04-27, 13:14   Link #386
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I would agree if this was a magical setting (where everything can be explained with some kind of magic), but since we are on magic-less/scientific setting, then I would have to conclude that she must have some kind of circulation, maybe it is very slow done with the rest of her body muscles. Unlike the vampires in Shiki she is still breathing, albeit we don't know if she need oxigen. There must be a metabolism of somekind if she can she still can think and talk.
Well, the problem in this kind of stories is the lack of scientific explanation. As a biology nerd, I can understand you're trying to find a logical explanation to this, but I think you're thinking too hard about this. It's a teenage romance about a girl becoming a zombie after drinking a magical potion - you can't expect this to be too scientifically logical.
There's a wonderful thing called "suspension of disbelieve", it's more than crucial to the enjoyment of fantasy stories. Just relax, it doesn't have to make sense.
Old 2012-04-27, 13:21   Link #387
Gohan78
Awakened One

I just pretend that the blushing is symbolic, such as the giant sweatdrops that appear on a character's head when they are confused or the big vein that pops on their forehead when they are angry.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 14:04   Link #388
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

How is she still able to blush? Can't believe it took Furuya until night to figure out how nice of a situation he is in. Lol Grandpa found her. Hope he figures out fast that she needs the leaves.
Old 2012-04-27, 16:03   Link #389
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Anyone else find Yka Iguchi's Mero to be an exact vocal clone of Minori Chihara's Chiaki from Minami-ke?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 16:35   Link #390
totoum
Backstop

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Guys,you're willing to accept that a person with no pulse is still able to stand,walk and talk but blushing is a no go?
I mean if you're willing to suspend your disbelief for all those why nitpick over blushing?
Old 2012-04-27, 16:53   Link #391
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, to be fair, if you accept the premise of zombieism, you more or less accept the idea of dead people being animate with no blood flow. Blushing is a purely mechanical process that sort of contradicts that notion. Yes, it's nit-picking (and I don't think intended as serious criticism) but it sort of makes sense.
Old 2012-04-27, 17:13   Link #392
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer

With all the hints already, I can't believe Chihiro was unable to 2 and 2 together. With all the comments he made on Babu, he should have realized right away that Rea needs the hyndrangea leaves.

As expected, Rea has super strength. I wonder if Chihiro can really handle her? He was already complaining of pain just from her grabbing his shoulders.
Old 2012-04-27, 17:40   Link #393
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I would agree if this was a magical setting (where everything can be explained with some kind of magic), but since we are on magic-less/scientific setting, then I would have to conclude that she must have some kind of circulation, maybe it is very slow done with the rest of her body muscles. Unlike the vampires in Shiki she is still breathing, albeit we don't know if she need oxigen. There must be a metabolism of some kind if she can she still can think and talk.
Speaking scientifically, there is no concrete evidence, that I know of, that zombies, as portrayed by the modern media, actually exist, or ever have. Zombification is non-scientific in its origin, and, as described by wikipedia, A zombie (Haitian Creole: zonbi; North Mbundu: nzumbe) is an animated corpse brought back to life by mystical means, such as witchcraft. Doesn't sound very scientific to me. Webster's online is even more curt in its definition: a person held to resemble the so-called walking dead; especially : automaton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I just pretend that the blushing is symbolic, such as the giant sweatdrops that appear on a character's head when they are confused or the big vein that pops on their forehead when they are angry.
That's an excellent way to think about it. Who complains about those sweatdrops, marks or big veins?

It behooves me to understand how people can accept that, by previously drinking a potion of bizarre ingredients concocted by a teenage boy with an extreme zombie fetish, and from an ancient, incomplete manuscript to boot, Rea could instantly be resurrected from a horrific death into a zombie, but they can't believe that she can blush. Walk, talk, laugh, take a shower is okay (and, no doubt, to some, especially taking a shower), but blushing is a no-no? We are not talking about reality here. This is not real science here. It's fantasy, and, so far, an excellent one at that. I've never seen a real, honest to goodness zombie, ever, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that nobody else on animesuki has, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, to be fair, if you accept the premise of zombieism, you more or less accept the idea of dead people being animate with no blood flow. Blushing is a purely mechanical process that sort of contradicts that notion. Yes, it's nit-picking (and I don't think intended as serious criticism) but it sort of makes sense.
I don't see how blushing is any more contradictory as a mechanical process than speaking, which nobody seems to have a big problem with. Yes, it takes blood to cause blushing, but it also takes the ability to breathe in order to talk. Do zombies breathe? What it comes down to, I think, is the individual author's own vision of zombies. I doubt any two authors share exactly the same ideas of what zombies can, and cannot do. Like other folkloric entities such as vampires and Dracula, each author creates his own vision. And, personally, I think the vision of Rea blushing is just lovely.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 18:31   Link #394
mochichan

It bug me so much how defenseless Rea acted, like when she was in his room (even tho it's probably just fanservice/moe factor)...come on........:|
The bath scene in the beginning was really creepy. I really want Furuya to clock the dad in the face.
Wanko is annoying...And Furuya have a gremlin for a grandpa XD

Anyway good ep.
There's already some foreshadowing that something might be wrong with Rea, when she was confused as to why she's reaching out to Furuya.

Also there's no point debating why she's blushing. It's fiction to begin with because it's impossible to revive a zombie so there's no point arguing about the logic of it. The blushing is there for the moe factor that anime fanboys think it's kawaii or something. Let it go.
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 19:10   Link #395
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The thing that really interests me is how disjointed this show is, yet still manages to hold together. The characters feel like archetypes from six totally different genres of anime thrown together in a box to see how they'll interact. The tone shifts from dark to slapstick to menacing to sexy at the drop of a hat.
Old 2012-04-27, 20:59   Link #396
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Speaking scientifically, there is no concrete evidence, that I know of, that zombies, as portrayed by the modern media, actually exist, or ever have.
The consesus is that zombies (to be called that) must be created, they do not merely "exist" out of thin air. As for being unscientific, that would mean that no research can be done on them. Animating dead corpses is a research that if done must be done in total secret, since the public outcry would finish the careers of any involved scientist. Why would a serious scientist attempt to bring to a semblance of life to a body that no longer has any pulse? That is an easy question, in war most deaths are related to damage to the circulatory system, but if someone found a mean to ressurrect (for a few hours at least) a fallen joe so that it can continue to fight, then the tide of most battles could be changed. So the army of most countries would pay millions even for the remote chance (most revolutionary research comes up empy handed) of making their soldiers fight even after death. I do not mean to say that this is happening as we speak, but it makes this story in particular more logical
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 21:19   Link #397
AmeNoJaku
dead-pan

Best episode yet, despite still having ridiculous melodrama, it was minimal compared to the first three episodes... oh! and the cliffhanger was really lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
That tennis team doesn't seem to play much tennis, but they do take a lot of showers.
It would be nice if all tennis clubs were like that ... and let's hope there will be more screen-time for their star

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Guys,you're willing to accept that a person with no pulse is still able to stand,walk and talk but blushing is a no go?
I mean if you're willing to suspend your disbelief for all those why nitpick over blushing?
Indeed, I guess it's another case of "Star-Trek Physics" or "Magic has Rules"
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 00:08   Link #398
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Rea being the way she is now raises an interesting (if not slightly disturbing) question: can she still get pregnant and give birth? I mean, if she can walk, talk, eat and possess even greater physical strength than she had before, are there any other bodily functions that seemingly haven't shut down when she died? Something tells me Chihiro would be very interested in finding that out.

And this raises another question: if Rea can't feel pain, can she feel anything else? I mean, if Chihiro were to try and go all the way with Rea, can she experience all the feelings that come with it? And do we actually want to find out?
Old 2012-04-28, 03:27   Link #399
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Spoiler for Nyantype NSFW:
Old 2012-04-28, 05:41   Link #400
Arya

Good episode again, Rea starting her new life. Speaking of her death and rebirth, I don't know if they meant it as a metaphor of daughters' coming of age and leaving the fathers for the boyfriends (really a tragedy for the fathers), but it seemed the case
Surely, as I feared a bit, all the heavy atmosphere surrounding Rea vanished now that the epilogue ended, I liked the doubled feeling. I hope that this isn't going to become a full comedy now (even if it is what it was in the first place right? So I can't really complain about it). Anyways Chihiro is really a bit dumb. How could he stay away from his house til night? He seems a bit like a dense harem lead, but here he isn't aware of Rea presence, but even of Rea's zombism

For the blushing false problem, I understand that theoretically she shouldn't blush at all, but really, who cares? Who really would want Rea not blushing at all? I mean, it's a part of her doubled cuteness, the cute-zombie-ness.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural, zombie moe, zombies