AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-26, 03:12   Link #1
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Action anime but has to have at least a female beside protagonist

Well i want to change the pace a bit and i want some action (gunfights, fights super power doesn't mater as long as its action anime), but i have one requirement, it has to have at least a female close to the protagonist, regardless if she can fight or not, of course anime that have a large female cast aren't excluded either, i have seen quite a lot of shows so please check my anime list which is in my sig before making recommendations. Currently watching Hitman Reborn so that's out.
Old 2011-09-26, 08:22   Link #2
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

Are you implying that the protagonist has to be male? If not, I've got a suggestion that has a mostly-female cast with a female protagonist.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (aka. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
I wouldn't consider this to be a hard-core action anime, it's more of a fantasy drama, but whatever action there is is very impressive. The best part of this anime is the plot, which is intriguing and constantly exciting. You'll probably find yourself constantly switching to the next episode after each episode ends. The music is outstanding and animation is the best that Shaft has to offer. It is no mystery why this is one of the most popular anime of the year, and the action is only one reason why you should watch it.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Part III: Rebellion (JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE HELL HOLY CRAP)
Wake Up, Girls!
Kill la Kill
The Garden of Words
Old 2011-09-26, 11:36   Link #3
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

No, what i meant was that i'm interested in action shows and the only requirement is that but they must have females, either as protagonist or if not, at least there must be one close to the protagonist (it doesn't mater if the show has a very small female cast as long there is one close to the protagonist).

Also sorry i fogot to add Madoka to the list.
Old 2011-09-26, 11:48   Link #4
TheEroKing
Version 2

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Impressive list. You could try Beelzebub, it has comedy but some nice fights too.
Since I can't think of anything else I would suggest waiting a bit for Mirai Nikki to start airing.
Old 2011-09-26, 12:52   Link #5
kitten320

I don't see any ongoing shows on your list, do you watch only finished series?

Does anime about Kendo count as action? It involves sword fighting so I'll just type it in: Bamboo Blade.

You can try Deadman Wonderland, quiet nice action series with some gore and blood. Main character (guy) is annoying though.

Romeo x Juliet are nice action series with bunch of romance I'm suprised it is not on your list considering that you like romance.

If you don't mind Magical girl thing and fluffiness then you can try the famouse Shugo Chara.

Sora No Woto are mostly slice of life series but towards the end some action happens.

Have you never seen Soul Eater? 0_o Then it definetly is something you must watch.

If ignore weird outfits and fanservice moments then Strike Witches are pretty good series.
Old 2011-09-26, 12:55   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Both Seirei no Moribito and Junni Kokuki ("Twelve Kingdoms") have action sequences with a female protagonist. They also have a lot of episodes with little action at all.

There's a lot more action in Claymore, where a group of beautiful women use massive swords to fight monsters.

Yakushiji Ryoko is the head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police. She fights monsters, and the occasional villain, with the help of her trusty male subordinate. This show sometimes follows the "monster-of-the-week" school of scriptwriting, but the witty dialogue, sexual innuendos, and excellent voice-acting made it worth watching for me.

You might also enjoy some of the early GAINAX shows like Gunbuster and Diebuster.

I didn't see any of these on your list.
Old 2011-09-26, 14:03   Link #7
Moresca
Doing the time-warp

Not pure action animes but plotwise enjoyable with action sprinkled in between. I did not see them on your list:

Blood the last Vampire (movie) and Blood+ the series (the older iterations not the series that airs atm). Has a female heroine with a katana, a bit of horror, some mystery, supernatural and (!) vampires.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig. Female heroine (kind of) with a mainly male team. Sci Fi, thriller (police and military, politics). There are also some OAVs additionally.

Witch Hunter Robin. Female co-protagonist. Supernatural, mystery, thriller elements, kind of a police story. A lot of people think it is slow. I adore the slow unfolding of the plot and think it is relaxing. There is action in it but it is not your daily shonen flick.

Blade of the Immortal. Female co-protagonist. Samurai, swordplay, a dash of supernatural, quite violent and mature. One gorgeous soundtrack. The Manga should not be missed...

Casshern Sins. There are some females (kind of) around the protagonist. One of the most under-appreciated animes ever in my opinion. The artwork is jaw-dropping. Sci Fi, Robots, dystopia and drama.
Old 2011-09-26, 15:34   Link #8
Zalis

Basilisk -- supernatural ninja action anime with a "feuding families" couple right in the thick of it.
E's Otherwise -- superpowers/X-men type anime with a very cute girl in a (mostly) supporting role.
Rune Soldier Louie -- mainly a fantasy/comedy anime I guess, but has some action content. Male lead joins an all-girl adventuring party, hilarity ensues.
Noir -- "Girls with Guns." Like Madlax but less trippy/boring.
RahXephon -- though I consider it more of a harem anime, most places list it as mecha/action with a strong romantic component.
Scryed -- shounen/fighting anime where main character lives with and protects a younger girl. His rival also has a girl in his life, to an extent.
Solty Rei -- bounty hunter winds up with an adoptive daughter who's also a cyborg. Much better than it sounds.
Gurren Lagann -- female characters figure prominently in this over-the-top mecha series
Master of Martial Hearts -- is along the same lines as Ikki-Tousen.
Old 2011-09-27, 15:27   Link #9
Autumn Demon
~

yakushiji ryoko no kaiki jikenbo
allison to lillia
higashi no eden
Old 2011-09-28, 16:07   Link #10
Sides

Air master is the only title that I can come up with.
Angel heart don't know if it is action enough.
Old 2011-09-29, 13:02   Link #11
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
Solty Rei -- bounty hunter winds up with an adoptive daughter who's also a cyborg. Much better than it sounds.
I second this. First thing I thought of actually.
Old 2011-09-30, 00:44   Link #12
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Sorry for the delayed reply, i was really absorbed in Hitman Reborn, show may not start out right but especially since 74 its awesome and stays that way, probably gonna be my favorite action anime... but anyway i almost completed and the new shows will come in handy ^^ (continuing with soul eater). Among the recommended ones this i have already seen:

Deadman Wonderland (forgot to add to list)
Seirei no Moribito
Junni Kokuki
Claymore
Blood the last Vampire (forgot to add to list)
Blade of the Immortal (forgot to add to list)
E's Otherwise (forgot to add to list)
Rune Soldier Louie (forgot to add to list)
Noir (forgot to add to list)
RahXephon (forgot to add to list)
Scryed (forgot to add to list)
Solty Rei

Any more recommendations are welcomed.
Old 2011-10-01, 01:09   Link #13
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Black Lagoon

Spoiler for Promotional image of some of the female characters.:

Black Lagoon is your poster-child action movie anime. You could even make a drinking game based on how often you catch a homage within the series to the great Hollywood action flicks of the last few decades while watching it.

The image I posted is of some of the women that pop up throughout the series. That said, this is not one of those shows with tons of women fawning around a lonely male protagonist. So, if that's what you're looking for, this isn't it. There are plenty of male characters as well. Just not in the image I linked. ;p

The protagonist is Rock, a Japanese salary man turned member of the Lagoon Company, a mercenary "shipping" company (ie: they have a boat, and don't care about the legality of whatever jobs they are hired for).

You have a female protagonist in Revy, a loud, crass, brash, woman borne from a pretty shitty life in New York City, now acting as the gun-toting muscle for the crew. Just a warning, if your request for a female was one that was seeking some arm-candy...well, Revy is certainly not arm-candy, or a damsel in distress looking for some man to rescue her.

To round out the crew, we have our ex-Miami white guy cum hacker/radio man, Benny. He never has much presence, and is largely there as background support.

Then we have the leader and owner of the business, Dutch. A big, bald, black man with a level head and deep voice, who claims to have been a patrol boat operator during the Vietnam war.

The series tends to go in mini arcs of a few episodes each, chronicling their jobs and interactions with the other denizens of the lawless city of Roanapur (SE Thailand). These denizens can be anyone from two-bit criminals with grudges; to Chinese mafia bosses; an ex-Farc commando-turned-maid; pedophilia victims turned psychopathic killers; nuns who moonlight as weapon's dealers; Yakuza capable of splitting bullets in half with their katana; and the Lagoon Company's primary sponsor (as close to one as they have anyways), Balalaika, the sexy (but scarfaced) leader of Hotel Moscow, a branch of the Russian Mafia. And that's just a taste of the people the Lagoon Company encounters throughout the show.

This show is all about testosterone, gunfights, attitude, gunfights, the dark underbelly of south asian criminal society, gunfights, well...you get the idea. This is basically an anime version of Hollywood action flicks from the glory days. There's no highschool students with magical powers or anything like that. Just a lot of guns, cussing, smoking, drinking, bullets, explosions, and violence.
Old 2011-10-01, 17:24   Link #14
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
RahXephon -- though I consider it more of a harem anime, most places list it as
I take exception with that! There are plenty of strong male characters in that show.
Old 2011-10-06, 01:32   Link #15
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Black Lagoon seen it except for Roberta's Blood trail which i'm also planing on watching. Anymore recommendations are fairly appreciated.
Old 2011-10-07, 16:50   Link #16
DrSmith

There's also Phantom - Requiem for The Phantom
Old 2011-10-08, 12:45   Link #17
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Which one do you mean cause you mentioned the name of the TV series but linked to the OVA, seen the TV show though, i'm starting to feel that i'm left without many options...
Old 2011-10-08, 14:02   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Hmm...have you seen these?:
Xam'd: Lost Memories
Speed Grapher
Genesis of Aquarion
Earth Maiden Arjuna
Flame of Recca
MAR

PS: I didn't see Super Robot Taisen OG: Inspector on your list, though I assume that you've watched it already ^_^.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2011-10-08 at 14:13.
Old 2011-10-08, 16:25   Link #19
DrSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by delorean2200 View Post
Which one do you mean cause you mentioned the name of the TV series but linked to the OVA, seen the TV show though, i'm starting to feel that i'm left without many options...
I meant the TV, wrong link

I also overlooked that an all girl anime is also ok, so here's Noir
And Read or Die (AOV) and Read or Die The TV (if you haven't seen these two, start with the AOV).
Old 2011-10-08, 16:53   Link #20
kitten320

Have you tried Tales of the Abyss? I've just started to watch it myself, looks promising so far.