AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Accel World

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-22, 04:03   Link #861
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So? Much worse kids have attracted harems in the past. It's anime.
I've seen those. There was one called Asobi ni Ikuyo and i couldn't even watch two episodes because the MC was so generic he pissed the hell out of me. There's also Linebarrels of Iron which is kind of similar to this because the MC gets bullied a lot at the start but he was ridiculously generic too and I dropped the show after watching the first episode because I couldn't stand him. So basically you're telling me that Accel World is just as generic as all the other crappy anime? That's not exactly the argument I expected but okay.

But the fact of the matter is that what happens in other storylines has absolutely nothing to do with what happens in this one. You may have seen worse but I've seen better.

Quote:
I don't even know what you're getting at. You're trying to paint him as some kind of Gary Stu in a world of horribly flawed people. All I'm saying is, everyone in that world is flawed. And his flaws are rather plain to see. And likewise, flawed as they are, the other characters largely aren't monsters. Except the bully.
More like Anti Stu but that's a bit of straw man really. It's the same principle but I don't think it's as egregious as that. The other character's flaws may not make them monsters but it's annoying to see characters reveal them themselves to have such flaws one after another. Like I said, having low self-esteem is a lot more sympathetic is nowhere near as bad as cheating in competitions or being borderline unfaithful. And whilst Haru's flaws are plain to see, that's exactly why I can tolerate it better, since we see it all the time so it won't come off as cheap.

Quote:
Not badass. Interesting. Ash Roller was a fresh level 2 when he was defeated. But hey, Haruyuki was clever and won.

Look at the spectators' reaction. They were more amused than impressed.
When Haru managed to stop the bike they were heavily impressed

Quote:
What's absurd is spending that much time on it...
Yes but still. Even KYH was impressed which is the storyline's way of telling us that he's exceptional.

Quote:
She asked him because he was good at the squash game, which isn't the same as being good at all games. (It means he has good reflexes, but that's not exactly enough to excel at everything.) He said he was good at games, and I'm willing to take his word for it, but that's probably just at the level of being that kid who's good at games, rather than that kid who's national champion of SC2 in South Korea.
You have pretty high standards for what constitutes as a badass...

Honestly I would've thought being exceptionally good is enough.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2012-04-22 at 13:36.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 04:07   Link #862
rayonethea
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
did anyone can tell me.,

where is can i read this LN., cuz on baka-tsuki vol 1 is not yet finish.,.,
rayonethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 04:12   Link #863
apsody243
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Apart for a LN there is also a manga that covers the whole of LN vol 1, I read the manga first to cover for the first volume of the LN then went to BakaTsuki for the rest.
apsody243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 04:25   Link #864
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I've seen those. There was one called Asobi ni Ikuyo and i couldn't even watch two episodes because the MC was so generic he pissed the hell out of me. There's also Linebarrels of Iron which is kind of similar to this because the MC gets bullied a lot at the start but he was ridiculously generic too and I dropped the show after watching the first episode because I couldn't stand him. So basically you're telling me that Accel World is just as generic as all the other crappy anime? That's not exactly the argument I expected but okay.
I'm saying his ability to attract two girls doesn't translate as him being particularly godly. He has qualities, which they see. And he has flaws, which everyone sees. It's neither all black nor all white.

Quote:
But the fact of the matter is that what happens in other storylines has absolutely nothing to do with what happens in this one. You may have seen worse but I've seen better.



More like Anti Stu but that's a bit of straw man really. It's the same principle but I don't think it's as egregious as that. The other character's flaws may not make them monsters but it's annoying to see characters reveal them themselves to have such flaws one after another. Like I said, having low self-esteem is a lot more sympathetic is nowhere near as bad as cheating in competitions or being borderline unfaithful.
I'm actually every bit as sympathetic to Chiyu as I am to Haru. She got handed a problem without solution, that's all.

Quote:
And whilst Haru's flaws are plain to see, that's exactly why I can tolerate it better, since we see it all the time so it won't come off as cheap.
I'm not sure what you mean by "cheap". And I'm not sure what you expect the other characters to be like. Perfectly good? Obviously evil?


Quote:
When Haru managed to stop the bike they were heavily impressed
They find him interesting to watch - it's not the same as saying they think they don't stand a chance against him.


Quote:
Yes but still. Even KHY was impressed which is the storyline's way of telling us that he's exceptional.
Exceptional in what way? His natural ability, or his dedication? Again, what does his natural ability in such a game bring him?


Quote:
You have pretty high standards for what constitutes as a badass...

Honestly I would've thought being exceptionally good is enough.
- it's just video games.
- my point is, what is exceptional? Best in your class? Best in your school? And again, there's no guarantee he's even that for any game but squash.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 04:57   Link #865
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm saying his ability to attract two girls doesn't translate as him being particularly godly. He has qualities, which they see. And he has flaws, which everyone sees. It's neither all black nor all white.
My point is that they're over-compensating, not that he's godly.

Quote:
I'm actually every bit as sympathetic to Chiyu as I am to Haru. She got handed a problem without solution, that's all.
The point remains. Haru's flaws are nowhere near as bad.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "cheap". And I'm not sure what you expect the other characters to be like. Perfectly good? Obviously evil?
Believable. We can tolerate Haru's flaws because we knew about them from the start where as all the others are revealed one after another seemingly for the specific purpose of emphasising how much better Haru is from everyone else, whilst Haru is complimented on just how awesome he is.

Quote:
They find him interesting to watch - it's not the same as saying they think they don't stand a chance against him.
They were still impressed.

Quote:
Exceptional in what way? His natural ability, or his dedication? Again, what does his natural ability in such a game bring him?
What does it matter? The story is evidently trying to tell us that his abilities are exceptional.

Quote:
- it's just video games.
- my point is, what is exceptional? Best in your class? Best in your school? And again, there's no guarantee he's even that for any game but squash.
So basically what you're telling me is that KYH entrusted a complete stranger with a super secret program that allows you succeed in life for the specific purpose of helping her fight and defeat several super amazing Level 9 gamers, all because he's good at virtual tennis? Again I think the story is trying to tell us that Haru is at least above average. As you point out it may be a bad and unconvincing way of telling us but the message is still clear.
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2012-04-22 at 13:35.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 07:09   Link #866
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 18
The third episode was pretty good. The ideas the anime offers a very good and interesting, but I feel like the ideas aren't executed to their fullest just yet.
May not be a master piece, but still interesting.
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 07:45   Link #867
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The point remains. Haru's flaws are nowhere near as bad.
Why was Haru's flaws aren't that bad? it's plain to see in sight which makes it a lot harder to hide and always hits him the entire time when others look at him with pity and disgust which shows in episode 01.

I think his flaws are pretty bad for his self esteem.

Flaws that can be hidden in plain sight aren't that bad for me though if those kind of flaws where reveal. Then that where it gets bad
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 07:57   Link #868
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
When I said bad, I didn't mean in terms of how difficult to live with but in more moral terms. Besides its not really that big of a deal for me in the grander scheme of things. It's more like a minor irritant.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 08:11   Link #869
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 18
Am I the only one thinking it's weird people still uses cables in a world where full virtual reality games, brainwaves connected computers and birth installed devices exist?
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 08:36   Link #870
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
My point is that they're over-compensating, not that he's godly.
Again, not sure what you mean by "overcompensating". I know what it means in the context of someone buying a big car, but here?


Quote:
Believable. We can tolerate Haru's flaws because we knew about them from the start where as all the others are revealed one after another seemingly for the specific purpose of emphasising how much better Haru is from everyone else,
What I'd find unbelievable would be for people to display their weaknesses willy nilly. Of course they wear masks. Even the bully was smart enough not to pull that shit in front of cameras, until he lost control.

We know more about Haru because he's the POV character, and because his weaknesses are too obvious. We only learn about the others bit by bit because he does, too. He discovers that the world isn't divided into perfect people who have no problem at all, and him.

Quote:
whilst Haru is complimented on just how awesome he is.
He's reassured he's not worthless because he freaking needs it.


Quote:
They were still impressed.



What does it matter? The story is evidently trying to tell us that his abilities are exceptional.



So basically what you're telling me is that KHY entrusted a complete stranger with a super secret program that allows you succeed in life for the specific purpose of helping her fight and defeat several super amazing Level 9 gamers, all because he's good at virtual tennis? Again I think the story is trying to tell us that Haru is at least above average. As you point out it may be a bad and unconvincing way of telling us but the message is still clear.
Oh, there's no doubt he's the main character, so I suppose he's destined to triumph in the end. But he's not a prophesied warrior, nor even a super genius whose abilities were obvious from the time he could speak. So far, he's just a guy who's better than the average complete beginner. And think about it, how rare are those?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 08:38   Link #871
Funkatron
King of the Castle
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via Skype™ to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Am I the only one thinking it's weird people still uses cables in a world where full virtual reality games, brainwaves connected computers and birth installed devices exist?
They don't use wires for everything, though. A wire pretty much ensures security; there is always the possibility that wireless communication can be intercepted by others. Wired is specifically 1 to 1 and is the most secure connection in that world, which makes it so intimate. You don't just tether to anyone.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 08:41   Link #872
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Except I find they trust it a bit too much... Wire or not, it should not be possible for someone to just look through your files without you even knowing about it.

(Oh, and they also use the wires to recharge their devices.)
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 09:34   Link #873
Rennir
Requiem of Dreams
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Beneath the prodigious sky...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Am I the only one thinking it's weird people still uses cables in a world where full virtual reality games, brainwaves connected computers and birth installed devices exist?
Well having everything wireless could just be for convenience. If you need to get some heavy duty work done, wires would probably be better/faster. Sort of like how most people use wifi today, but Ethernet is still faster.
__________________
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 09:54   Link #874
Forever
Revealing the truth
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Cables are for privacy. Anyone can come in on wireless, while only those connected on cable can talk to each other...
__________________
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 10:06   Link #875
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Cables are for privacy. Anyone can come in on wireless, while only those connected on cable can talk to each other...
Well, that's explain the whole "lovers' cable" thing.
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 10:22   Link #876
mangatron
I <3 Oneesan's!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Episode 03

How did I get in here... kind warning, I'm a little insane right now so just sit back and laugh at me my post

Man, that black & White Snowflake girl can stare.... And throughout the whole cafe scene, I was like Huh wha hmm eh. I never thought they could talk so much which is a good thing, I think, well, I was thinking about something else actually. Like for example, if the cuplirt already knew the identity of the Butterfly Girl, why ambush her when she left the shower? Why not just walk into the girls shower room and uh oh, hey girl nice towel

Ahem. Never mind, I think I wasn't paying attention to that scene. I mean what else, she was BATHING Awhoooo

But the second half of the ep, now that's something right there. The King was asking what I'd do if I was on top of her? Well, for starters, who needs the net, I would rather "Direct Link" with her the old fashioned way, if you know what I mean there isn't a better way to convey words than through direct skinship

Er, my delusions aside, seriously speaking, first things first, I would bring with me a short link cable so that when I direct link with Chi-chan, the cable would be so short I would have to kiss her to hook up HAHAHA oh yeah *mangatron high-fives himself*

Okay, alright, I'll be serious now. Anyways, this bedtime scene.... it was so wrong, oh my. I mean, they brought cybering to a whole new level: Air Fondling!

Or is that Air Groping.... Air Molesting? Air Squeeze? Hey Chi-chan, nice rack

Argh, I kid I kid. So, I know what Chi-chan's back door is! It's her secret stash of pig fetish photos! She's obviously into Haru's piggy avatar, not him! That's why the massive bento! Gyahahaha *KuroYuki beheads mangatron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxidol View Post
Episode 3
Spoiler for Make me laugh:

Like the King said, nice work. Despite the lack of words, one can get the idea immediately XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
I'm having a bit too much fun with this episode
You must go further than that, my friend.
Images
Haru becomes a man! Gasp! H scene in AccelW!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

*mangatron runs from the mods*
__________________

I'm being bombed!
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, leg starting bleeding again so no rehab until I figure out how to stop the bleeding...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 10:59   Link #877
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Arrow

This reminds me of that one time where I made a .GIF file from sola that turned what was supposed to be a "White Knight" scene into something much more... sinister. Or the one from Lucky Star.

We're all going to Hell.

Natch.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 11:18   Link #878
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Without CG and fighting, this anime is much better... if only it could fast-forward that lengthy exposition of its generic setting, and have more embarrassed teenagers in bedrooms, playing friends, it would have been great
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 11:47   Link #879
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
So basically what you're telling me is that KHY entrusted a complete stranger with a super secret program that allows you succeed in life for the specific purpose of helping her fight and defeat several super amazing Level 9 gamers, all because he's good at virtual tennis? Again I think the story is trying to tell us that Haru is at least above average. As you point out it may be a bad and unconvincing way of telling us but the message is still clear.
I don't think that KHY would just entrust his hopes on Haru just because he score high in that virtual tennis She might have more reasons or maybe she already investigate more about Haru and his skills in the VR world.

I just don't think KHY is the type to trust others without reasons. She even make a whole lot of preparations in trying to persuade him but he just okays with it in trying to receive brain burst. She even plans on how to capture cyan pile and she is more of the calculative type for me. Schemer maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Without CG and fighting, this anime is much better... if only it could fast-forward that lengthy exposition of its generic setting, and have more embarrassed teenagers in bedrooms, playing friends, it would have been great
but the reason they are fighting is because of this scenes

and seriously tron I can't take your post seriously now a days you lost too much sanity points or something. I like it reading the long road post that has good speculations on it and even theories but...this one >.> well doesn't suit me much. I like it in dai maou days
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 11:49   Link #880
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Again, not sure what you mean by "overcompensating". I know what it means in the context of someone buying a big car, but here?
Overcompensating: As in, the story is trying too hard to compliment him and make up for his flaws.

Quote:
What I'd find unbelievable would be for people to display their weaknesses willy nilly. Of course they wear masks. Even the bully was smart enough not to pull that shit in front of cameras, until he lost control.

We know more about Haru because he's the POV character, and because his weaknesses are too obvious. We only learn about the others bit by bit because he does, too. He discovers that the world isn't divided into perfect people who have no problem at all, and him.
Exactly. My point is that they're trying too hard. Like I keep saying, Haru's flaws are nowhere near as bad and it seems as if everyone is worse than he is.

The story's message right now is supposed to "Don't have low self-esteem because no one is perfect and you're just as good as everyone else", but it feels more like "Don't have low self esteem because everyone is worse than you and any hot girls in your life are probably in love with you"

Quote:
He's reassured he's not worthless because he freaking needs it.
On it's own you'd be right but in the context of everything is, it comes across as encouraging chunibyo (I think that's the right term)

Quote:
Oh, there's no doubt he's the main character, so I suppose he's destined to triumph in the end. But he's not a prophesied warrior, nor even a super genius whose abilities were obvious from the time he could speak. So far, he's just a guy who's better than the average complete beginner. And think about it, how rare are those?
Better than the average complete beginner? In all honesty I think the anime has tried to get across the message that he's better as games than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I don't think that KHY would just entrust his hopes on Haru just because he score high in that virtual tennis She might have more reasons or maybe she already investigate more about Haru and his skills in the VR world.

I just don't think KHY is the type to trust others without reasons. She even make a whole lot of preparations in trying to persuade him but he just okays with it in trying to receive brain burst. She even plans on how to capture cyan pile and she is more of the calculative type for me. Schemer maybe?
Well I don't think there's any doubt about that.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, sci-fi, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.