AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 107 48.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 65 29.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 11.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 5.94%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.28%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.91%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.46%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-10-02, 11:36   Link #181
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Rider walking around without pants is definitely going to be funny, provided they do it right.
Hey, don't spoil things
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 11:47   Link #182
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Any complains about Fate/Zero's "lack of variety" should be adressed to the author of the original novel.
Who, we should note, is the same writer who gave us Madoka Magica, a series in which there was exactly one male character with any remote significance to the plot, and that far less than Saber or Irisviel.

I think the lack of female Masters is deliberate on Urobuchi's part -- from el-Melloi's lecture, it's clear that the Magi are an old fashioned bunch, so it's not surprising that the men are going to go for the glory and expect the women to stay out of their way. Matou adopting Sakura is desperation on his part, and Rin's participation in the Fifth War is a sign of how screwed up things are by that point.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 11:49   Link #183
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I think the lack of female Masters is deliberate on Urobuchi's part -- from el-Melloi's lecture, it's clear that the Magi are an old fashioned bunch, so it's not surprising that the men are going to go for the glory and expect the women to stay out of their way. Matou adopting Sakura is desperation on his part, and Rin's participation in the Fifth War is a sign of how screwed up things are by that point.
really, why do people comment on subjects they don't know anything about.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-10-02 at 12:11.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 11:52   Link #184
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Who, we should note, is the same writer who gave us Madoka Magica, a series in which there was exactly one male character with any remote significance to the plot, and that far less than Saber or Irisviel.
Not that it necessarily means a whole lot, but Kyubey is male.
Old 2011-10-02, 11:52   Link #185
alumnox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
It was about 2 years since I watched Fate/Stay Night so I might not remeber details but... I don't remember masters knowing about each other there. All of the masters in Stay Night seemed to be suprised in one or another way when they discovered each other while here they know almost everyone.

And also weren't servants chosen by luck in Fate Night? Their summons seemed to by chance. At least Shirou got Saber by pure luck what begs a question... why no one else tried to summon her back then?

While here they summon them knowingly... and what if servants' masters tried to summon same servant at the same time? What then?
Everything seems a huge word to describe all the magic these guys can perform so no you cant say they know everything about each other but you guys forget these pals been fighting each other for a lot lot of time and just like its described in the first episode (novel prologue) information about other masters its something they gather every time no matter what master is chosen.

Also I think it was in heavens feel FSN or the Nasu Kinoko extra notes where they explain that these 3 families knew each other pretty well to the point that the Einzbern's request help from them in their areas of expertise to create the first grail and its system (remember the grail itself its just a part of the great grail underground).

The servant system works like this:

The grail looks for masters with magic capabilities around the globe during a long period of time, remember the grail system was supposed to work every 50 years if i recall correctly but in FSN happens earlier because (well this is spoiler so you will found out later in fate zero) the point is that they can summon a servant and the grail will give them the servant that fits the better with their capabilities and personality but I think it was back on the second war they found out that with a relic (any object that was important or with some relevance to the hero) they could improve their chances in getting x or y servant.

The key word here is improve, not even a relic guarantees the grail will summon that heroic spirit in particular, that's the reason why Kiritsugu tells Iri hes worried he might fail summoning King Arthur.

Back in FSN Rin says she couldn't get any relic and so she thought that with the crystal and her magic was enough to summon the saber class.
With the little problem of time against her and the fact she was holding the relic that points to shirou, she ends casting Archer instead.

The main difference is that in Fate-Zero these guys knows when the next grail will come and there's a lot of time to prepare for it.

The case with shirou its very easy actually, the circle of magic was already on the floor of the shed and inside his body a relic and we know the grail was in a hurry to choose masters so Saber just pop up =P .

In case 2 magus try to summon the same servant the one with the most affinity to it will get it.

Btw sorry about my engrish but its not my native language =P

Last edited by alumnox; 2011-10-02 at 12:09.
alumnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 12:00   Link #186
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

I'm one of those souls who enjoyed the Fate/Stay Night anime. I read a bit more into everything on various wikis and the like, but really I don't quite know what's going to happen.

This was definitely a great first episode, and I look forward to more.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 12:06   Link #187
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
really, why do people comment on subjects they don't know anything about.
His belittling of Waver's thesis doesn't sound like a 19th Century aristocrat disgusted by a nouveau riche factory owner who thinks he's part of high society?
Old 2011-10-02, 12:12   Link #188
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
His belittling of Waver's thesis doesn't sound like a 19th Century aristocrat disgusted by a nouveau riche factory owner who thinks he's part of high society?
i was commenting on your comments about man/woman issue in Type-Moon universe.
Old 2011-10-02, 12:13   Link #189
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Next week does not come fast enough
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 12:13   Link #190
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Wowee. That was the best opener I've seen in a long, long time. Maybe it was just the length?

Nah.

Incredible. For so long I had been 'meh' about the Fate/stay series, finding it slightly boorish in terms of the premise. However, this episode has lifted it up and out of my minds murky pool, and shown the light. It did a great job of reminding what the hell it was even really about, as well as introducing some pretty awesome characters, I must say. I've never played any of the games, so some of the new interactions came as a surprise to me.

I can't wait for the next one!
Old 2011-10-02, 12:52   Link #191
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I am by no means accusing Fate/Zero of sexism (and I'm making this reply primarily to make this clear).

I just think it would have been nice to have at least one female master. Not for any reasons of "equality" but simply for the sake of variety in and of itself. That's all. It's certainly no big deal. This anime is still likely to be one of the best of the year.

Clearly most people on this thread disagree with me on the gender point, and that's fine.
well about this discussion bout not too much "variety" and there's only adults men that participating, keep in mind Fate/Zero taking the line where's the greatest "Holy Grail War" held (yeah the VN suggest this HGW is among the greatest that ever held) so its natural most that participating is top class magi, and naturally they're in mature age.. So its not like they can put like half of them is -17 like in F/SN, since the information already suggest the master that participating is on uber-high level in standard...

But about the gender debate I can't say anything tho
But hey isn't will be nice if one of type-moon stories have 80% of the cast is male once in the while
Old 2011-10-02, 12:56   Link #192
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Rin and Shirou formed a partnership, not terribly different than what we seem to be getting with Rin's father and Kirei here. So of course Rin wasn't trying to kill Shirou. It wasn't because she was "unprofessional". It was because it was part of her overall strategy, just like Kirei and Tokiomi have a mutually supportive strategy of their own.
And what about the bit where she saved his life before any "partnership" formed? Or her unwillingness to actually do any of the things that the participants in Zero by and large consider perfectly normal, or even to tolerate them...?
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 13:16   Link #193
Ragna92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
And what about the bit where she saved his life before any "partnership" formed? Or her unwillingness to actually do any of the things that the participants in Zero by and large consider perfectly normal, or even to tolerate them...?
Well at that time when she saved him, it was just an innocent boy who she loved that had no relation to the holy grail war at that time. But yeah she wasn't so professional.
Ragna92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 13:19   Link #194
dark998

Out of boredom I decided to check this out too. Overall much better than expected, I didn't feel like the episode was 40ish minutes even though most of it was info dump. Highlight was of course the final minutes and the breathtaking OP sequence.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 13:19   Link #195
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

lol they don't show Lancer and Assasin summoning, I guess that the creators don't like them too much

Still haven't seen Caster yet...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 13:21   Link #196
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
lol they don't show Lancer and Assasin summoning, I guess that the creators don't like them too much

Still haven't seen Caster yet...
They probably where already summoned, just like Assassin.

And you can see Caster in the OP.
Old 2011-10-02, 14:08   Link #197
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Assassin and Lancer's summoning wasn't in the novel either. And Caster's summoning happens later on (I hope that doesn't count as a spoiler o_0').
It does actually

Everything which would decrease speculation potential and which would be revealed later on anyhow is a spoiler in my eyes. We now know for example the master of Caster hasn't set up traps with his servant ahead of time.
Old 2011-10-02, 14:10   Link #198
Cherry_Lover

Well, it wasn't shown in the anime, so it must therefore have happened later....
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 14:11   Link #199
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So for anyone curious who Hassan is (Who Assassin introduced himself as), it's this guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassan_i_Sabbah
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 14:33   Link #200
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i was commenting on your comments about man/woman issue in Type-Moon universe.
I've only seen F/SN and read F/Z, and from that I don't get the impression that the mainline Magi -- the Big 3 families, el-Melloi and his compatriots in the Clock Tower -- don't view women as equals worthy of taking part in the War except as pawns and tools. If that contradicts some tangentially related VN, oh well. You can't expect people in the general discussion threads to be familiar with the totality of the Type-Moon universe. For that matter, it's important to remember that this is Gen Urobuchi's take on the Type-Moon universe, so it's not necessarily going to be consistent with everything Nasu's come up with.