AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Chapter 119 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 26.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 30.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 10.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 9.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.08%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.54%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.54%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-03, 11:11   Link #141
Ryus
The One Eyed King
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lurking Up Ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
I am starting to think Dae had a slightly different method of selecting the no.1 candidates than power alone. The reason is mainly due to Rubel stating he would select the same 3. Rubel appears to have a talent for spotting special claymores like Claire and Miria. If we look at Cassandra, Roxanne, and Hysteria they all had attributes beyond just power that made them unique. They were twisted individuals. I think the final selection had more to due with their lives and personalities than just plain power Ryus. Consider,

Hysteria cut down scores of fellow claymores. She has not sense of comradeship or mercy.
Cassandra also cut down scores of claymores.
Roxanna...is well Roxanne.

All three are notorious for throwing the lives of their own comrades away. These 3 are the individuals that even other claymores despise and find unholy. If Dae is looking for something beyond just plain power than it makes sense not only why Cassandra was chosen(even though she may be weak), but also why Hsyteria and Roxanne were specifically chosen. For Dae, I think he finally gets to see the worse of the worse claymores awaken. Now, for Rubel, these same three are perhaps the least loyal and most unstable of the lot of legendary claymores considered. There is a reason he would choose them.


The fact that Rubel said anything about who he would choose seems to imply their something very different/wrong about these 3 in comparison to the other candidates.


I like your theory, it's very well thought out. Want time to contemplate it for myself though but it feels right... though maybe he was just attracted to the scars and ears (j/k)

Oh and speaking of Dae, I wonder what Dae said at the end of chapter.
__________________
Ryus is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:12   Link #142
claremore
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
the main complaint with this chapter is that roxanne is still alive, i want to see her get brutally murdered by cassandra now probably what will happen next chapter, looking forward to it i was excited for a second on the panel were cassandra was holding that head, if only it was roxanne's i would have given the chapter a 10
claremore is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:18   Link #143
Nixl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
But it's so.....stupid

I came up with my theory because I wanted to be logical - you're right in that Roxanne knows her past and is fine (forgot that), but as I've been saying, if I remember a past bruise, it's not just gonna magically reappear.

Ugh, whatever, I'll give -- at least she's the only one who's like it. If Hysteria and Roxanne are both fine though, Miria suddenly lost a big advantage.

And I think somebody mentioned that it's been a full year now since we've seen Clairebear :O

--

Veeeerry interesting theory Nixl - if you add Teresa to the mix (a 'problem child'), all of them undoubtedly seemed to have issues; though maybe you're right in that he intentionally chose the ones that would make the most trouble.

Which makes sense as he's splinternig away from the Org; if anything, reviving the three that are the most likely to rebel and not follow the Org, figures.
While it is true that Teresa killed humans and left the org, I think in comparison to Hysteria or Cassandra massacring fellow claymores or Roxanne just being insane Teresa was rather tame. If anything Teresa spared claymores, something that Hysteria, Roxanne, or Cassandra could care less about. I think it is important to note that even for claymores these three were probably the worse.

In addition, Teresa may have been cold, but she was rational and just did her job. These 3 claymores went out of their way to harm other claymores.

Edit: @Ryus, knowing Dae he was probably contemplating which of the remaining legendary claymore candidates to have dinner and a movie with Friday night.
Nixl is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:21   Link #144
Ryus
The One Eyed King
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lurking Up Ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremore View Post
the main complaint with this chapter is that roxanne is still alive, i want to see her get brutally murdered by cassandra now probably what will happen next chapter, looking forward to it i was excited for a second on the panel were cassandra was holding that head, if only it was roxanne's i would have given the chapter a 10
Are you kidding???

We need a good villain we love to hate. For the foreseeable future that's Roxanne. The story is better with her in it since she brings the conflict and tension to the story. I don't care if she dies brutally in the end or not (story>characters) but the story does need her I think until well after the ghosts show up and things move back towards Priscilla and Clare. If she goes we'll just have Hysteria and Cassandra and both are mindless fools atm... it will be almost like more AF battles just with pretty faces and some dialog.
__________________
Ryus is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:22   Link #145
Jean Claymore
Former #9
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Come one now... we have yet to read the scans and we're already jumping into conclusions. While yes, Cassandra's opening wounds due to the remembrance coming back like flashbacks of her past is lame (too lame to be honest), but hell, we should wait for more explanations from Dae in the future... Probably he would give us this logic of "Because Cassandra strained herself too much mentally and let her closed wounds get worse", maybe stating her wounds where closed externally, but weren't healed inside 'cause her body was already dead. Also taking the note in a certain chapter Dae mentioned one of them would be kind of unstable physically due to its more than a 100 cuts of her body.

*sigh* Wish the scans works up with my schedule today I even slacked off from my work giving an excuse I had a stomachache
__________________
Jean Claymore is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:24   Link #146
Nixl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremore View Post
the main complaint with this chapter is that roxanne is still alive, i want to see her get brutally murdered by cassandra now probably what will happen next chapter, looking forward to it i was excited for a second on the panel were cassandra was holding that head, if only it was roxanne's i would have given the chapter a 10
I disagree, Roxanne is probably one of my new favorite characters alongside Priscilla. Rarely do we get to see a character that is just that evil. What would make Roxanne even better is if she does not have some tragic past and she is just insane.

Roxanne is perhaps the sole reason I am enjoying this arc so much. People can complain about the story, the direction, or blah blah, but Roxanne is damn entertaining.
Nixl is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:25   Link #147
Ryus
The One Eyed King
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lurking Up Ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
I disagree, Roxanne is probably one of my new favorite characters alongside Priscilla. Rarely do we get to see a character that is just that evil. What would make Roxanne even better is if she does not have some tragic past and she is just insane.

Roxanne is perhaps the sole reason I am enjoying this arc so much. People can complain about the story, the direction, or blah blah, but Roxanne is damn entertaining.
^THIS!!! (well, all of it too I suppose)
__________________
Ryus is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:31   Link #148
haegar
mangaviking
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
amen to that. btw I wonder...in what regard was roxanne ever displaying her "love" side? ok she kinda fell in love with others... but maybe the name comes from the fact that she hated all other claymores and was Dae's lover? that kinda pairing might explain her mirthful disposition
__________________
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5008/kibatabisig2.png
haegar is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:32   Link #149
claremore
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I have to disagree because i hate her so much that i dont even care about the story its hard to read these chapters when there is an ugly clown in every other panel
claremore is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:34   Link #150
Nixl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Seriously, Yagi's villains are the most interesting aspect of Claymore in my opinion, because they make an impact.

I thought it was an especially nice touch by Yagi when Priscilla finally regains her memories only to state that she was going to discard those memories and cast away what humanity she had left. She makes the choice she would rather live as a care-free monster than be inconvenienced with memories as a human. To me that is good method of showing just how dastardly Priscilla is.
Nixl is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:40   Link #151
Jean Claymore
Former #9
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremore View Post
I have to disagree because i hate her so much that i dont even care about the story its hard to read these chapters when there is an ugly clown in every other panel
While it's true Roxanne is the so called "bitch" here (glad to know I wasn't the only one though ), I think even her evil presense is necessary within this chapter/series because of story progress and yes, as Nixl stated, every series, be it manga or novel needs an antagonist or villain who opposs the main characters and we can example Ophelia in this case. Not that I'm fond to them, but I just find them essencial

Sorry for typos, kind in a hurry having my breakfast... (yes, call it lunch )
__________________
Jean Claymore is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:42   Link #152
Ryus
The One Eyed King
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lurking Up Ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar View Post
amen to that. btw I wonder...in what regard was roxanne ever displaying her "love" side? ok she kinda fell in love with others... but maybe the name comes from the fact that she hated all other claymores and was Dae's lover? that kinda pairing might explain her mirthful disposition
Spoiler for the "love side" explained:
__________________
Ryus is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:56   Link #153
Ryus
The One Eyed King
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lurking Up Ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremore View Post
I have to disagree because i hate her so much that i dont even care about the story its hard to read these chapters when there is an ugly clown in every other panel
Spoiler for what you should be thinking :P:
__________________
Ryus is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 11:58   Link #154
fraktur
extraordinary freak storm
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Italy
@ryus
daes comment on the last page is something like "the first of them has finally awakened"
edit: prayer4mirias translation should be more accurate

Last edited by fraktur; 2011-10-03 at 12:13.
fraktur is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 12:00   Link #155
Ryus
The One Eyed King
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lurking Up Ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraktur View Post
@ryus
daes comment on the last page is something like "the first of them has finally awakened"
I love him even more now, that makes it seem like he was wanting and expecting this from the get go.
__________________
Ryus is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 12:07   Link #156
claremore
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
Spoiler for what you should be thinking :P:
claremore is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 12:10   Link #157
fraktur
extraordinary freak storm
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Italy
can someone translate roxannes comment about the m/h fight?
fraktur is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 12:12   Link #158
Elandyll
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: AZ - USA
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
I thought that too when I read the Witch's Maw arc,but ultimately I think he does. His pacing can move between too slow and too fast. Then again, I wonder if that is just a result of having make chapters according to what can be fit into each issue.

edit: I just realize that I really hate on the Witch's Maw arc way too often. It gave us Galatea, but over an entire year in some dull dungeon with the plot moving at granny speed and mindless chat. I do not understand how that arc does not get more hate. Then again, I also dislike Teresa, because I thought she was too cliche and any redeeming quality ruined by the extra chapter, so that may put me into a minority of claymore fan opinions on like/dislikes.
I am guessing you mean the Witch's Maw (5 chapters) + Purgatory of Deepest Depth's arcs (4 chapters), which encompass the whole Riful Cave arc.

This not only gave us to meet Galatea, but also Riful , Dauf, Jean, and a ton of developments, and that was in 9 chapters (9 months).

What have we had since chapter 106? (13 months)
Miria is dead, then not.
Raki is contaminated by the destroyer + Pris ... then ... not so much.
Twin shrimps introduced (we know almost nothing)
Raftellla introduced (same)
Miria starts to take the org down (the one major plot throughout, still ongoing), in a very dumb way but ending up having a lucky break.

Then Three #1s are revived, making the prospect of death more or less futile for any character.

Really? We are looking at a 15 months + arc minimum (I don't see it resolved for at least another 2 chapters) with what could have been done in 6-9 chapters with the way things used to be paced.

P.S: Not to tell you you shouldn't hate on Witch's Maw (it's however you like it), but there is little to compare between the two arcs imo.
The more comparable one imo would be the War in the North arc (joined with Pieta's Invasion and Cognate of Paradise for epilogue - 15 chapters), and the scope was on a totally different level.
Elandyll is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 12:25   Link #159
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a hole, I just need to dig myself out
I would argue that it's too black and white, but as it is, this story couldn't get grayer if it tried -- perhaps it's a good thing then that someone as black and straight-up evil as Roxanne is in the story. That's yet another thing that makes her worse then Ophelia and just about everybody else this story; in that she doesn't have a brother or some secret tragic past (at least that we know yet). As far as we know.....she's just insane, and that's what makes her all the better.

In a story with such intrigue and personal drama, maybe that's what the story is -- someone like the Joker, who just "does" things; their is no 'why' with her.

Though, Nixl, I would like to point out that Priscilla does not necessarily have her memories - she's still lacking in them (it would seem, incredibly, that her human and Awakened persona are both looking for what the other has, to increase the difference even more ) -- Claire however apparently didn't give her the flashback she was looking for and that was enough for her to keep pushing at her to see what kind of kick she would get. Essentially, you're right in that she is enjoying her freedom almost too well, but after being suppressed for seven years, I almost can't blame her.

Though that could be the difference between her, Ophelia and Roxanne -- all three are chaotic, but in very different ways: Ophelia was wild, but was essentially just a girl with PTSD who was always hunting for AB's, Prissy's AB-persona is much the same except it's much more defined and black-and-white with her as the brother-loving side (or in her case, the baby-faced "where are my parents" side) and the AB-killing side (in her case, "I want guts") are basically two people in one body trying to be one again, and still having that secret purpose (and helping Raki shows she still has her limitations).

Roxanne however, is the only one of the three who likes to start stuff just for the sake of it - everything about her is purely selfish and for her own gain. She doesn't create chaos simply for the hell of it, as we know she seeks to become the strongest of all - and if she really didn't copy Cassandra's technique because it was too scary/too much/etc, then she definitely isn't all the way out there. Stlll, she's the furthest of them all, and really hasn't shown any limit when it comes to her getting what she wants.

But as you say, that could very well be (thus far) the key difference that seperates Roxanne from all the rest - she doesn't have a silver liner, or a secret tragic past, or any such thing -- she is the way she is, because that's how she came out.

So stay away
__________________
"You know, their are as many ways to live as their are people in this world...and each one deserves a closer look."
Shiek927 is offline  
Old 2011-10-03, 12:28   Link #160
limao
DeAd
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Spoiler for Chapter 119:
limao is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.