AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-09-29, 03:08   Link #1
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Question A few avisynth and x264 encoding questions :D

Alright, encoding newb fag here. The title says what I mainly need help with.

Ok I'm trying to do some encoding obviously. I think I may have found a way to upscale the chroma subsampling of my source video from 4:2:0 to possiblly 4:2:2/4:4:4. I may be wrong or mislead. Either way, I'm making the avisynth script with MeGUI 2028 like usual. My source is a .mkv raw anime file and I use the Directshowsource.dll to load it and everything is fine. Now I try to do the chroma upscaling with "ConvertToYUY2(clip, matrix="rec709")". From what it sounds like, it's suppose to take the source's 4:2:0 and convert it up to 4:2:2/4:4:4(Like I said I could be wrong), code was taken from here. Now I paste the code in and try and save the file. An error comes up and say's that it doesn't recognize 'clip', so I go back and change 'clip' with the file name. That still didn't work, another message came up stating that it wasn't agreeing with the word 'matrix'. I'm obviously doing something wrong or this code doesn't work(which is highly unlikely). Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

My second question. If I can't work with the avisynth script like I just describe above. Is there a way that I can configure the x264 profile to make the final video have 4:2:2/4:4:4 chroma subsampling. I have the 8-bit version of x264 if that helps at all.
DreGon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 03:47   Link #2
sneaker

For x264:
--output-csp i422 or --output-csp i444

"clip" refers to something like this:
Code:
clip=DirectShowSource("file.mkv")
clip=ConvertToYUY2(clip)
return clip
You can just omit that for simple scripts like yours:
Code:
DirectShowSource("file.mkv")
ConvertToYUY2()
You can only use a matrix when converting from or to some RGB format.

But: What are you trying to achieve? Are you sure you want to do this? It sounds unreasonable.

Last edited by sneaker; 2011-09-29 at 04:34.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 04:41   Link #3
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

From what I understand(or so I think...I guess) is that 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 have a little more color, so to speak. So that's really all I'm trying to do, but I guess I'm wrong/mislead, considering your reaction.
Old 2011-09-29, 05:05   Link #4
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreGon45 View Post
From what I understand(or so I think...I guess) is that 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 have a little more color, so to speak. So that's really all I'm trying to do, but I guess I'm wrong/mislead, considering your reaction.
It's true that 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 hold more color samples than the classic 4:2:0 format, but the source needs to be created that way in the first place (Or you need to downsize, but that's most likely not what you want). What you are doing now is upsamling the chroma before encoding, which will do the following:
1.) compression suffers
2.) compatibility suffers
3.) the quality will not be increased (or even worse, because of 1.) it might decrease for the same bitrate)
4.) Since you're reencoding to a lossy format (H.264), you will definitely have quality loss

Chroma upsampling is done on playback by all players anyways, since LCDs work with RGB/4:4:4 internally. For high quality chroma upsampling during playback I recommend madVR renderer.
Old 2011-09-29, 05:12   Link #5
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

And here I was thinking that I was doing some good work....damn. Thanks for telling me so I wouldn't waste time and effort. Now If you don't mind, might I ask you another noob question about 10bit encoding?
Old 2011-09-29, 05:20   Link #6
sneaker

Go ahead, but I can't promise that I know the answer. If you're going to ask whether encoding 8bit sources (Blu-Ray, raw TV caps) to 10bit H.264 is meaningless in the same way that converting 4:2:0 to 4:4:4, then the answer is: no, it is not meaningless. The compression efficiency is increased by the higher internal precision the encoder can work with. (But of course it does not increase the quality compared to the 8bit source, it just loses less quality than an encode to 8bit.)
Old 2011-09-29, 05:24   Link #7
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

Oh no I already knew that much heh . I was going to ask if there was and encoding program that supports it(MeGUI, StaxRip, etc.). I've tried doing it myself with MeGUI v2028 and the results weren't all to great. Compression was outstanding but the video did some strange things. At random scenes it would pixleate and sometimes turn a pinkish/purple color. Either it's my own old ass laptop or I'm doing something wrong, knowing my luck it's probably both -_-'.
Old 2011-09-29, 05:29   Link #8
sneaker

Your decoder is not yet 10bit enabled, that's why you see those strange artefacts.
Use one of the following:
- newest CCCP
- newest LAV Filters
- newest ffdshow
- newest madVR (with activated internal H.264 decoder)
- VLC 1.2.x nightly
- newest mplayer2

The 8bit -> 10bit conversion of vanilly x264 is currently broken in that it very slightly skews the colors, if you don't feed it 10bit/16bit directly, use the patched builds from there for now:
http://x264.fushizen.eu/
Old 2011-09-29, 05:31   Link #9
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

I have the newest cccp lav ffdshow and the newest vlc
whats madVR

edit:
i just have 1.1.11
where do i get 1.12
Old 2011-09-29, 05:35   Link #10
sneaker

Are you sure they are configured correctly and in fact being used? Re-check.

madVR is a renderer for highest quality (chroma) upsampling, since recent versions it also has a (10bit) H.264 decoder inbuilt. It can be used with MPC-HC:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

VLC 1.2.x (the stable 1.1.x versions don't support 10bit yet):
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/last/
Old 2011-09-29, 13:37   Link #11
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

No I'm not entirely sure. In the installation I just had all the check boxes marked except the ones that make the default video player for specific files. I'm sure that was a big no no. Anyway I can go back and change the settings?
Old 2011-09-29, 15:36   Link #12
sneaker

I don't use CCCP myself, so I can't really help you with it. You can see which filter you are using in MPC-HC by right-clicking -> filters

I'd recommend using madVR, scroll down to "Setup guide for MPC-HC + madVR" in the following tutorial:
http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/?p=205
Old 2011-09-29, 19:25   Link #13
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

this worked out amazingly
thank you kind stranger XD