AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2011-10-08, 12:11   Link #41
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
Might just have been the translators this week. There aren't a whole lot of actual cuss words in Japanese, mostly just ones that you infer how serious they mean it by how it's spoken.
For reference, what are some of the cuss words, in modern day japanese?

Since a lot of the time I feel it's either not there or really well hidden, or I'm hearing them but not really knowing that's what they are.
Old 2011-10-08, 14:43   Link #42
Haak
F**k my life...

The only one I know of is Kuso.
Old 2011-10-08, 16:50   Link #43
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The only one I know of is Kuso.
Isn't that literally just something like "dammit"? Is that a bad word? Didn't even know...
Old 2011-10-08, 16:56   Link #44
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

Kuso is like "shit," shimatta is like damnit.
Old 2011-10-08, 17:14   Link #45
Haak
F**k my life...

Well here's a whole list:
http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?language=Japanese

For some reason when I read them I keep using the voice of Rei Kugimiya...
Old 2011-10-09, 02:26   Link #46
Lord of Pandemonium
Banned

Location: I'm Dancing & Yelling GANBATTE KAGURA! YOU GO GET YOUR WOMAN BACK!!!!! SHIPPING THEM HARD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
the cussing was a bit...over the top for Bleach standards...
There was cussing? Wow I didn't notice at all...it's probably because it wasn't a memorable chapter this week

@ Haak there is a lot of mystery surrounding Urahara. I once thought that Pendulum arc proved Urahara was a goodie...I don't think he's evil but that "you saw it too?" remark added the air a mystery once again. The bastard is clearly up to something. I just don't know what that is...
Lord of Pandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 04:17   Link #47
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
@ Haak there is a lot of mystery surrounding Urahara. I once thought that Pendulum arc proved Urahara was a goodie...I don't think he's evil but that "you saw it too?" remark added the air a mystery once again. The bastard is clearly up to something. I just don't know what that is...
I don't know what you're talking about... =/
Old 2011-10-09, 10:31   Link #48
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
For reference, what are some of the cuss words, in modern day japanese?

Since a lot of the time I feel it's either not there or really well hidden, or I'm hearing them but not really knowing that's what they are.
Okay, here's some of the less uh...R-rated ones I can share...

Kuso means sh*t, said to varying degrees of meaning. If you're talking to yourself, like saying "oh, sh*t!" then you'd use "shimata" instead.

Baka is stupid or idiot. I've heard people use this in reference to themselves when they do something dumb, or when calling out their friend for being an idiot.

Uso is used a lot by my kids. It literally means "a lie" but the way they say it it's like "no f*cking way!" (For the record, liar is usotsuki)

Bakayarou basically means as*hole, or what you would imagine the equivalent to be.

Kutabare is the equivalent of a "f*ck you"

Teme is usually translated as "bastard" in manga, but it really just means "You". It's a very informal way of addressing someone, and it's the informality which is an insult not the word itself. It's one of Ichigo's favourite lines when he's in battle-mode since the word implies the person you are speaking to is not your equal.

Urusai means shut up/you're annoying.

Hope that helps!
Old 2011-10-09, 10:33   Link #49
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 2011-10-10, 03:44   Link #50
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
Teme is usually translated as "bastard" in manga, but it really just means "You". It's a very informal way of addressing someone, and it's the informality which is an insult not the word itself. It's one of Ichigo's favourite lines when he's in battle-mode since the word implies the person you are speaking to is not your equal.
kisama has a similar meaning.

you want more cuss words? well, they're not really bad words but they're quite common in anime. it's what the japanese call jiko or slang. here are some of the words i often hear in anime...

chikusho - damn it!

fuzaken - don't fuck with me!/don't joke around with me! (men would usually say "fuzaken ja ne yo!")

yaro - bastard!

baka mitai - you look stupid!

damatte - shut up!

kono yaro - you dog!

saitei - you're the worst!

kitanai - you're a dirt bag!

bukkoroshite yaru! - i'm going to kick your ass!

nani koitsu - you little rat!

baka ja nai? - are you stupid?
Old 2011-10-10, 06:50   Link #51
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

I would contest many of these...but I think we've strayed enough.
Old 2011-10-10, 13:45   Link #52
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Honestly i just think everyone's misinterpretating Urahara's character. Kubo played up a mystery aura about him because there were obviously a lot of questions about him. Like how he had all these weird devices, why he knew so much about shinigami and hollow and what his relationship with Rukia was.

I don't think there's anything more to it than that. This stuff about Urahara possibly being evil or an antagonist or even close to evil is, imo, just a misinterpretation of the mystery aura Kubo likes to keep around him because he doesn't know what to do if he gets rid of it.
I think you're right when it comes to Urahara being good or evil. Urahara is firmly on the "good" end of the spectrum. He's mysterious, and at the worst, he can be sort of a jackass-- but he hasn't done anything close to malevolent so far and hasn't given any hint that he'll do so in the future.

It's like with the vizards, how Kubo tried to create some ambiguity as to whether or not they would turn out to be friends or foes. But in the end, they just turned out to be allies and their status as ex-Gotei 13 members didn't cause any tension with Soul Society. Beyond getting revenge on Aizen, it seems like they didn't have any agenda at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus
We were never really told WHY he was creating the hougyoku to begin with, just that he had already created it. He must have had something in mind.
I think what he explained to Tessai is that he was researching a way to strengthen the soul of a shinigami and the end result was the hougyoku. But it's implied Urahara didn't completely understand what the hougyoku was capable of when he created it.

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 01:49   Link #53
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
I think you're right when it comes to Urahara being good or evil. Urahara is firmly on the "good" end of the spectrum. He's mysterious, and at the worst, he can be sort of a jackass-- but he hasn't done anything close to malevolent so far and hasn't given any hint that he'll do so in the future.

It's like with the vizards, how Kubo tried to create some ambiguity as to whether or not they would turn out to be friends or foes. But in the end, they just turned out to be allies and their status as ex-Gotei 13 members didn't cause any tension with Soul Society. Beyond getting revenge on Aizen, it seems like they didn't have any agenda at all.
Whenever I think of Urahara I'm reminded of the famous words "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I see some validity in peoples' assessment of him as essentially good. He hasn't really done anything malevolent. I mean sure, he released a psychopath from prison and created a device powerful enough to destroy SS. And there was that whole thing about using Rukia as a glorified pack horse to hide the hougyoku, regardless of the impact it would have on her. But it was all done with the best of intentions so that doesn't make him one of the bad guys. *tongue firmly in cheek*

I think Urahara's genius gives him an almost child-like ignorance when it comes to exploring and developing new technologies. Unfortunately, it is exactly that ignorance that makes him so dangerous. He doesn't consider the greater impact of his research, or what negative lasting effects it might have. He's only interested in the outcome - from a purely scientific standpoint.

You might say he's a bit like Einstein. When he developed his theory of relativity that suggested you could release a large amount of energy from a small amount of matter, he never imagined it would be instrumental in the creation of the atomic bomb decades later. As exciting as it was for him to see his theory come to fruition, it also ended up being his biggest regret.
Old 2011-10-11, 02:48   Link #54
Haak
F**k my life...

I just think most of the morally ambiguous stuff he does is really just Moral Dissonance and bad handling...but I guess you guys are probably sick and tired of me saying that all the time.
Old 2011-10-11, 04:46   Link #55
Lord of Pandemonium
Banned

Location: I'm Dancing & Yelling GANBATTE KAGURA! YOU GO GET YOUR WOMAN BACK!!!!! SHIPPING THEM HARD
Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about... =/
Basically Urahara's comments about seeing "it" too (Spirit King) makes me think that he's up to something. What I don't know..
Lord of Pandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 05:20   Link #56
Haak
F**k my life...

I still don't know what you're talking about. When did he say that?
Old 2011-10-11, 05:39   Link #57
Langus
Optimus Prime

I think I know what LoP's talking about.

I don't remember the exact chapter, but it was during the confrontation scene between Aizen and Urahara in fake K-town when he showed up with Isshin. Basically Aizen was expressing his disappointment in Urahara and then he said something along the lines of saying "You see it too" with regards to the Spirit King.
Old 2011-10-11, 05:53   Link #58
Haak
F**k my life...

I've just gone through Urahara's enitre fight with Aizen in the manga from Urahara's entrance to Aizen's exit and I can't find that anywhere.
Old 2011-10-11, 07:43   Link #59
Langus
Optimus Prime

Damn, sorry I can't help. I don't have time to skim through Kubo's numerous wasted panels to find the answer. I just know I've seen that (or something along those lines?) somewhere before between Urahara and someone else. I assumed it was Aizen, but maybe not.
Old 2011-10-11, 08:13   Link #60
kakakka

Quote:
I've just gone through Urahara's enitre fight with Aizen in the manga from Urahara's entrance to Aizen's exit and I can't find that anywhere.
Might be difference in translation
Quote:
Chapter 421: Deicide 23
Page 18-19
Aizen: How are you able to let yourself be ruled by a thing like that?!
Urahara: A thing like that? You mean the "Spirit King"? ... I see, so you've seen it.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote