AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-06, 06:50   Link #201
hyl
smile
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Same reason why they made Blazblue instead of GG3.
Wasn't the primary reason for making blazblue instead of another GG that Sega ended up having the rights for guilty gear and Arksystem works bought the rights back in 2011?
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 11:30   Link #202
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Wasn't the primary reason for making blazblue instead of another GG that Sega ended up having the rights for guilty gear and Arksystem works bought the rights back in 2011?
It was Sammy Stuidios (now known as High Moon Studio) that had the rights to GG iirc; but yes Arcsys recently got the rights back.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 11:44   Link #203
Tong
Now, come at me
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2014 World cup hoster
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Seeing what GG2 was...you sure you want GG3?
Meant as in GGXXX, the next fighting game lol

Leaving the copyright issues aside, it's pretty obvious by now that you can't attract new players/interest with sequels.
GGXXX would've been a bad move. As would MB2.
__________________
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 13:26   Link #204
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Meant as in GGXXX, the next fighting game lol

Leaving the copyright issues aside, it's pretty obvious by now that you can't attract new players/interest with sequels.
GGXXX would've been a bad move. As would MB2.
At the same time, you have no established fanbase that would give the game a chance even when the game is new.

Anyway, both MB and GG are bad examples. Eltnum's arcade story in UNiB showed that French Bread wanted to make Melty Blood HD, but Nasu was still busy with other projects as always. For Guilty Gear, there were copyright issues as mentioned before.
Therefore, it's not really right to say that they willingly stopped making sequels but that neither one of them had much of a choice.



As for MB and GG's diminished community overseas, that is also a little more complicated than just being an old series. Melty Blood was never localized, which already limits player access, and in addition the PC version of the newest Melty Blood was only a limited edition bundle coupled with the third Carnival Phantasm BD set, so it's not even possible to legally import a copy anymore. In addition, needing PC set-ups for tournament scenes is a lot more problematic than the typical console set-up.
For Guilty Gear, you have a small portion that sticks to Guilty Gear because they don't like BlazBlue mechanics, and you have another portion moving onto BlazBlue simply because it's the "newest" ArcSys game. Repeat this fragmentation for BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena.

Then if you consider the already stagmatized notion of "anime" games in Ca$hcom gaming central America, you have an already dimished fanbase being diminished even further.
If there's only one good thing to say about the Capcom fighting game community, it's that they at least stick to only one game: the latest version of Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom. With "anime" fighting gamers, they are all over the place. Sure, having variety and being able to experiment with other games is great, but at the same time it doesn't sustain a consistent community which is also needed to keep a fighting game alive.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 15:59   Link #205
Tong
Now, come at me
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2014 World cup hoster
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
Well, one doesn't stop playing a game... they just play something more since his main game isn't competitive as it used to be. That's why GG people play BB.
A new sequel was needed to re-awaken the old players. However GG is hard to get into, therefore, the chances of AC+R bringing new players are slim.

You could say that Capcom is being "lazy" right now, by not bringing new games. But that's only because they don't need to work their asses! They conquered a large and loyal fanbase.
Back then though, Capcom had made tons of games to attract new players. SNK as well.

And as you can see, only Street Fighter, Marvel and KOF had success. Afterall, who wouldn't like to see a new Garou, Samurai Shodown, Capcom vs SNK, Alpha or Darkstalkers?
__________________
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 20:42   Link #206
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Capcom is working on a Darkstalkers 4. Would be nice if they release a new Rival School though.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 23:48   Link #207
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
I would think that making a new Melty Blood instead of UNiB (with the same production quality, of course) would have garnered a crap-ton more interest from the get-go. Not sure why they'd make UNiB to get interest in a new MB.
Nothing wrong with branching out and making new IPs. If anything this should be encouraged more especially considering the problems both companies have with their sister series. Better than ASW and French Bread sitting on their ass and letting talent go to waste. It's risky venture sure, but when has not been in such a high violate market? UNiB's current position wasn't too different from BB when it started, but smart marketing and awareness allowed it to become what it is today. As long as French Bread plays their cards right and keep reasonable expectations they can carve out a loyal fanbase.

And who knows? Perhaps we might even see something similar to Street Fighter and King of Fighter rivalries of 90's.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 23:54   Link #208
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
As I've mentioned before, French Bread mentioned (in an interview) that they wanted to make a new Melty Blood, but they couldn't because Nasu was (and still is) busy with other projects.

At that point in time, it was either start a new project or do nothing.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 11:54   Link #209
Tong
Now, come at me
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2014 World cup hoster
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
And who knows? Perhaps we might even see something similar to Street Fighter and King of Fighter rivalries of 90's.
UNiB is meant to be BB rival.
However BB is a much more mature game, and I'm afraid UNiB is late for the party.
__________________
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 14:08   Link #210
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Mature? What do you mean?
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 14:57   Link #211
Tong
Now, come at me
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2014 World cup hoster
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
By that I mean, the game has been around and played for some time.
That reflects in a better game with less balance issues, and therefore, more competitive.
__________________
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 20:11   Link #212
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
By that I mean, the game has been around and played for some time.
That reflects in a better game with less balance issues, and therefore, more competitive.
If that's the case Arcana Heart would be more popular than BB, but that's not the case. Even with age AH community is still small.

Of course BB community was a transition of GG players as well. So BB had a large following at the start.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 22:15   Link #213
Tong
Now, come at me
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2014 World cup hoster
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
Arcana Heart was made by Examu and published by ASW.
And quite honestly, doesn't feel like a quality title... It's good as a fighter, but the setting (Only girls and tons of fan service) made it appear less serious as a contender.

AH is part of "B-Rated" fighters that aren't meant to be popular. These also include:
-Aquapazza
-Chaos Code
-Ougon
-Akatsuki
-Vanguard Princess
-And many others you probably never heard about, for obvious reasons!

What UNiB is trying to do is exactly the opposite of BB, which is to attract new players from a small fanbase.
__________________
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 08:20   Link #214
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Arcana Heart was made by Examu and published by ASW.
And quite honestly, doesn't feel like a quality title... It's good as a fighter, but the setting (Only girls and tons of fan service) made it appear less serious as a contender.

AH is part of "B-Rated" fighters that aren't meant to be popular. These also include:
-Aquapazza
-Chaos Code
-Ougon
-Akatsuki
-Vanguard Princess
-And many others you probably never heard about, for obvious reasons!

What UNiB is trying to do is exactly the opposite of BB, which is to attract new players from a small fanbase.
I always saw Arcana as the "fourth option" in arcade fighters behind Capcom, SNK and Arc Systems. It may be more doujin-ish in feel but it is rather prominent in game centers.

At least it is still good to play...unlike say...that awful Touhou fighting game...Hisouten and Hisoutensoku.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 15:42   Link #215
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
If that's the case Arcana Heart would be more popular than BB, but that's not the case. Even with age AH community is still small.

Of course BB community was a transition of GG players as well. So BB had a large following at the start.
IIRC, GG->BB transition wasn't nearly that smooth. Back in the earlier days of CT a lot GG fans disliked BB due to numerous differences from the previous series like the slower gameplay. If anything the the current day BB fanbase is made up more of new players and others that have migrated from other fighters which is part of the reason BB is bigger than GG now.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 20:57   Link #216
kayos
RETIRED
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
What UNiB is trying to do is exactly the opposite of BB, which is to attract new players from a small fanbase.
Both are trying to attract fans of 2d fighter's games. Obviously both games won't appeal to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
IIRC, GG->BB transition wasn't nearly that smooth. Back in the earlier days of CT a lot GG fans disliked BB due to numerous differences from the previous series like the slower gameplay. If anything the the current day BB fanbase is made up more of new players and others that have migrated from other fighters which is part of the reason BB is bigger than GG now.
I'm sure there were purists but it wasn't like the entire community rejected BB. I don't think there's a single one person or a group of individuals that talked for an entire community.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 21:04   Link #217
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
I'm sure there were purists but it wasn't like the entire community rejected BB. I don't think there's a single one person or a group of individuals that talked for an entire community.
Of course not, but the fragmentation was still much more significant than say... Street Fighter 3rd Strike to Street Fighter IV. There were a lot more GG purists than you think.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:51   Link #218
Tong
Now, come at me
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2014 World cup hoster
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Both are trying to attract fans of 2d fighter's games. Obviously both games won't appeal to everyone.
Melty Blood could be considered the king of Doujin/B-Games, and making a game on par with Main titles like Blazblue, is definitely something.

If reception and support for UNiB are good enough, MB2 will surely compete along GG.
__________________
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 06:06   Link #219
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Of course not, but the fragmentation was still much more significant than say... Street Fighter 3rd Strike to Street Fighter IV. There were a lot more GG purists than you think.
Uh 3S to IV was pretty fragmented... a lot of 3S players didn't even bother with IV until Yun and Yang were introduced in AE. Out of the top 3S players only Daigo, Momochi, Tokido and MOV really made the jump..., I think CVS2 players to IV was more what you were thinking.

And a lot of top GG players didn't bother with BB....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 11:09   Link #220
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Natal-RN, Brazil
Age: 19
Link.

- They're thinking about porting the game since many people are asking for it. It'll be more likely ported to the PC because it is easier since they're not thinking too much on international releases (aka, PS3).

- Many possible new characters (over ten of them!), better start the hype now.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.