AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-18, 09:34   Link #1
vrz

Looking for Romance - no VN

From experience, alot of romance anime based on Visual novels, eroge included turn out to be pretty lame.

Since, each heroine gets a few episodes to shine, these episodes rarely affect the plot.

Im looking for something that has good story and less of showcasing each girl.

Romances that ive found good/great so far are

suzuka
ef
rumbling hearts

Im not saying no to VN's , its just ive found them to waste alot of time showcasing each girl without affecting the plot.

( i know rumbling herats was a VN)

please give me some suggestions, thanks
Old 2011-10-18, 09:55   Link #2
kitten320

Clannad is a VN adaption and it does showcase a lot of girls in first season but second season goes right down to business with main pairing. Whole season two is mostly about them.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! is manga based as far as I know and focus only on one pairing/girl. At least for the biggest part of the time.

Otome Youkai Zakuro has some action but main pairing was established from the begining.

Romeo x Juliet, you can't go wrong with the pairing here

Spice and Wolf has a clear established pairing

Toradora
has 3 females and two are of the main focus but each one plays their role in one or another way.
Old 2011-10-18, 09:57   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

If you don't mind some oldies, there's Kimagure Orange Road.
If you prefer the recent one, there's Spice and Wolf.
The list can go on, but I don't know what anime that you've seen yet, so it can be for nothing ^_^.
Old 2011-10-18, 11:06   Link #4
vrz

heres some that ive seen, unfortunately not in order

Spoiler for list:

hope this helps, i'll check out some of those u guys mentioned

keep it coming pls

Last edited by vrz; 2011-10-18 at 11:17.
Old 2011-10-18, 11:32   Link #5
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrz View Post
heres some that ive seen, unfortunately not in order

Spoiler for list:

hope this helps, i'll check out some of those u guys mentioned

keep it coming pls
I have to go lulz wut at some of the recommendations. Claymore is a romance series? *facepalm*. The best of all recommendations listed is Toradora. It's a full romance themed story, and has quite a few emotional scenes. The characters are also excellent. Both anime and light novels are good. Light novels are completely translated at baka-tsuki.

edit: Oh yeah, those are what you've seen. I don't normally read/watch Shoujo romance, but Skip Beat is one of those I watched and am full of praise for it. Though I read it not for the romance but for the acting theme and humor. Maid-sama has interesting characters and stories (very shoujo) so I guess it's worth a try. I'll throw in Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu and Vampire Knight as well.

Last edited by larethian; 2011-10-18 at 11:44.
Old 2011-10-18, 11:34   Link #6
vrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I have to go lulz wut at some of the recommendations. Claymore is a romance series? *facepalm*. The best of all recommendations listed is Toradora. It's a full romance themed story, and has quite a few emotional scenes. The characters are also excellent. Both anime and light novels are good. Light novels are completely translated at baka-tsuki.
no,
Obelisk ze Tormentor asked for a list of what ive seen
Old 2011-10-18, 12:06   Link #7
vrz

hmm ive watched like 2 shojo's

kimi no todoke
aisheteru baby

and i feel their quite slow in pace, unless those 2 in particular are like that.

if those 2 are a good example of shojo, then im not too crash hot on shojo anime
Old 2011-10-18, 14:05   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Okay, here's some non-VN romance animes (mind you that their settings and subgenres may vary):

Onegai Teacher
Emma - A Victorian Romance
The Place Promised in Our Early Days (movie)
Romeo X Juliet
Saikano
Onegai Twins
Tokyo Marble Chocolate
Koi Kaze (incest)

and don't forget the classic triangle love in Super Dimensional Fortress Macross

Also, any anime adaptations from Adachi Mitsuru's mangas like Cross Game that you've already seen (google it or Wiki it and you'll find more of those Adachi Mitsuru's anime titles).

I'll give you those titles first. I'll see the development as you (may) watch them ^_^.
Old 2011-10-18, 17:15   Link #9
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
From experience, alot of romance anime based on Visual novels, eroge included turn out to be pretty lame.

Since, each heroine gets a few episodes to shine, these episodes rarely affect the plot.

Im looking for something that has good story and less of showcasing each girl.

Romances that ive found good/great so far are

suzuka
ef
rumbling hearts

Im not saying no to VN's , its just ive found them to waste alot of time showcasing each girl without affecting the plot.

( i know rumbling herats was a VN)

please give me some suggestions, thanks
It's difficult to figure out what you're looking for when two out of the three shows you listed as enjoying are visual novel/eroges, contrasting with what you said concerning visual novel/eroges being lame.

Anyways, some romances I've enjoyed (and none of them are visual novels/eroges):

* Honey and Clover I & II. Follows five young young adults through art school and beyond, through their love triangles, unrequited loves, and entering the job market.

* Bokura ga Ita. Possibly the best of the increasingly generic "Highschool Romance" shows. Lots of characterization, appropriate comedy, and fitting ending.

* Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen. It's an OVA, and only four episodes long, but this is a great romance dressed up in a samurai anime. Kenshin and Tomoe's relationship really hits you.

* Kimagure Orange Road. Kyosuke the esper is in love with Madoka, a girl with a mysterious past, but Madoka's best friend, Hikaru, is in love with Kyosuke. The story through the TV show and all the OVAs covers many years as Kyosuke strives to realize his love for Madoka.

* Saikano. Shuji is a highschool student that finds the diary of his girlfriend, Chise. The story then follows flashbacks to events that occurred in the past. You see, Chise was an advanced weapon that the Japanese Defense Force viewed as their last hope of staving off invasion. The anime doesn't ever go into details of who's invading or why/how Chise is a super weapon; these are basically just plot props for what is ultimately a romance story between Shuji and Chise, as they go through the strains of trying to keep a relationship going in the middle of a war, that Chise is almost single-handedly fighting. It also involves a bunch of side characters that help to highlight how people's lives/relationships are affected by war.
Old 2011-10-18, 20:04   Link #10
Elegance

Maison Ikkoku is a oldy
Hanbun No Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora
To Love Ru-looks like something u watch
Old 2011-10-18, 20:39   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku is a must see for anime romances.

Kimi Ni Todoke is sweet cotton candy

Clannad: After Story is a must see (watching the first season is worth it, even if it is VN based).

Also try:

Cross Game

Crest of the Stars

and Honey and Clover.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-10-18, 23:02   Link #12
vrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
It's difficult to figure out what you're looking for when two out of the three shows you listed as enjoying are visual novel/eroges, contrasting with what you said concerning visual novel/eroges being lame.
Yea im aware of that, but they dont spend 2/3 of the anime showcasing other girls for the sake of it.

ie, kanon, shuffle , etc..

can someone tell me if a good representation of shojo
=
kimi no todoke
aisheteru baby

i felt the pace was pretty slow, and in some cases going nowhere

otherwise thanks for the recommendations so far, keep em coming.
i'll check them out on wiki and stuff before i dl
Old 2011-10-19, 01:44   Link #13
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
hmm ive watched like 2 shojo's

kimi no todoke
aisheteru baby

and i feel their quite slow in pace, unless those 2 in particular are like that.

if those 2 are a good example of shojo, then im not too crash hot on shojo anime
no shoujo is not about slowness...... but has a central focus in romance (I feel personally) and female protagonists.

You may want to read the synopses or do some research and try them out first. Maid-sama is licensed, which means it has a market in the west. It has an interesting protagonist and characters but I kind of drop it because I'm not too interested in romance-centered stories, even when they are interesting. Skip Beat! is by far the most interesting shoujo manga I've ever read (with respect to the theme on "acting"). You can also check popularity through Oricon charts as a gauge.
Old 2011-10-19, 15:21   Link #14
Undertaker

Shojo is slow on its pace because romance is the central focus, but vast majority of time they also features much better plot.

It seems that vrz are look more at shonen romance, in that case I would second Maid-sama as well.
Old 2011-10-24, 05:24   Link #15
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Maid is Shounen? I thought it's Shoujo.
Old 2011-10-24, 07:12   Link #16
Undertaker

My bad, you're right.

I was referring to Onegai Teacher, not Maid-sama, since it was the one title that is closest to the shonen style romance.

Damn cut & paste, I was going to second Maid-sama before reading his comment on Kimi ni Todoke and Aisheteruze and forgot to double-check.
Old 2011-10-24, 11:05   Link #17
vrz

quick update,
ive watched some of maid sama. (ep 6-7)

hrmm, not crash hot about it really.
i skipped ahead a bit to see where its going ( just a few seconds of the later eps)

def a girls anime, male lead seems quite full of himself.
(part where theres the childhood friend)

im gonna drop it for now, might pick it up when i have nothing 2 watch.

downloaded onegai teacher and sister, spice wolf, clannad.
havent got through them yet

any other suggestions guys?
any shonen , seinen ones out there?
Old 2011-10-24, 13:34   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about Nodame Cantabile or maybe even Welcome to the NHK! (warning: dubbed)? Perhaps Planetes or REC?
Old 2011-10-24, 22:40   Link #19
vrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
How about Nodame Cantabile or maybe even Welcome to the NHK! (warning: dubbed)? Perhaps Planetes or REC?
ive seen, welcoe no NHK , REC, and Nodame season 1 (does 2 and 3 get better?)

i'll wiki planetes

keep em coming
Old 2011-10-26, 06:27   Link #20
vrz

any other suggstions guys?
Closed Thread