AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-15, 12:12   Link #401
Sheba
Night Battle Oh La La

That sound effect at 3:48 (sage subs) = The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman.

Also Yoshitake's sister does have some Hayate Yagami about her, must be her look.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 12:31   Link #402
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I don't see that Habara hate as a Legit reason. Teenage Habara is quite a different person
Spoiler for Manga:
Habara. Eight very critical and impressionable years means that 16 years old Habara is a very different person from her 8 year old self. Are you suggesting that forgiveness and redemption is impossible?

Which is more or less the point that I'd imagine Habara tries bring across every-time Karasawa shuts her out. Teenage Habara is a far more mellow, mature and calmer person than her young self. It's quite absurd to condemn a sixteen years old for crimes he or she has committed at the age of eight. Think of Habara as a character that has underwent massive character development offscreen, to the point that she's become an almost unrecognizable different character.
What, your telling me Habara being the cause of that huge scar down the middle of Karasawa's forehead isn't reason for hate?
Not sure how it's in other places but I know kids, hell even adults would hold that grudge.
It's not entirely absurd, whether or not you forgive someone for casuing such harm be it 8 years old or 38 years old is still the same, just at 38 you will better be able to judge but doesn't mean you can't hate on someone for it.

I'm all for my Habara X Karasawa but I'm not gonna say that Habara deserves forgiveness cause she was just 8 years old and "she wouldn't have known better".
Habara may have changed for the better after that incident but for Karasawa thats a little too late so to speak as we've been shown.
I'm only shipping the pair for my own amusment but I won't let that get int eh way of whats really going on here.
Habara did something rather terrible to Karasawa and she's has been and is still gonna pay for it(in ep 5 pretty much literally) for some time.
And I wouldn't blame Karasawa for still having rensentment after all this time, I know I'd be pissed off if something like that happened to me.

Quote:
In a way, that's why I think that Habara is more compelling and interesting than Tadakuni. You have a reasonable and average seeming character whose genericness is a deliberate facade. On the other hand, Tadakuni is bland in comparison. Boring.
Tadakuni is kinda boring but thats only cause he's up against the others but I think thats pretty much the point of his role, he's a contrast to the other guy's "silly and stupid" natures.
Old 2012-02-15, 12:46   Link #403
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCurt View Post
I think the entire point of Funky is to show how similar personality undertones plays out differently in boys and girls. Let's use the Hidenori/Yanagin pair as example: both are studious (I won't say "geeky" at this point), hot-blooded, and uncomfortable to the other gender. Yet:
  • Hidenori: keeps hot-bloodedness under the table and avoided conflict with women, sometimes too hard
  • Yanagin: Acting hot-blooded constantly, talking about how girls are superior to the boys, and make it violently clear that I AM NOT DATING!

So while we can conclude that Takakuni and Habara are both plain and reasonable people, that'd be all we can say at this time.
I think the main difference here is that Takakuni seems like he is a reasonable and plain person by nature. Habara's plainess is deliberate, and possibly a persona she cultivates for the purpose of Social Acceptability. The similarities between Takakuni and Habara seems to be only superficial - at it's heart, Habara has differing underlying personality overtones, producing the same result. Differing motivations and causes for the same personality type

Contrast Hidenori and Yanagin, who characters are subtly different expressions of the same personality type.

Unless Takakuni has an underlying vicious side to him, I think that Habara is the inversion of the other two counterparts in Funky. Ironically, she seems to have one of the more developed backstories, and a very interesting one at that.

At least, you've got to commend Habara for trying to atone, for repentance, and reaping penitence. But should she be condemned for life? Mind you, in between Archdemon and Habara is puberty with all the potential for massive personality shifts in that period.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 12:53   Link #404
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post

Tadakuni is kinda boring but thats only cause he's up against the others but I think thats pretty much the point of his role, he's a contrast to the other guy's "silly and stupid" natures.
Tadakuni is the control in the crazy experiment that is Nichibro. A control is boring (unless you are Kyon, but if that's the case, I begin to doubt your protestations of normalcy...). And that's why the Mangaka does not regard him as the MC.

Actually, some Nichibro character show surprising depth to them, considering the absurdist and semi-parody nature of that show (of just about every Slice of Life).

Really, I'd like to see a spinoff with Habara as the primary PoV character. For some reason, that character has grabbed my attention. I'd imagine though that any such story will have blatant Shoujo undertones.... I'm also idly wondering whether Tadakuni and Habara would cross paths....

Here's another thing quite interesting about Nichibros. In most Estrogen packed Slice of Life animes, males are a non-factor, bland non-entity. Compare this phenomena with the treatment of the opposite gender in this male centric Slice of Life anime, female characters themselves seem to take a life of their own, and that's very refreshing. Granted, some are one dimensional parodies at first.

The good thing about Nichibro is the lack of a lopsided imbalance between the character developments of the cast of both sexes. Plus the fact that Funky and Nichibros intersect with one another, with a clear consciousness that they describe different perspectives of the same setting.

We are seeing several life-stories subtly and naturally intertwining with each other under all that humor and craziness, and for that reason, I find this anime surprisingly well developed in that aspect.

The Sketches link to one another, instead of being utterly random. There's a clear sense of continuity in this story, an element that got me into anime to begin with.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 13:03   Link #405
Forsaken_Infinity

Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Peanuts in this show's standards.
Tadakuni and Yoshitake didn't seem to agree. They were heads over heels for her.

Also, while Habara now may be a mature woman and stuff, the one guy you guys are trying to ship her with happens to be pretty much the best man in the show. She is gonna have to compete, alright. Pity better not be the selling point of a relationship.
Old 2012-02-15, 13:03   Link #406
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Here's another thing quite interesting about Nichibros. In most Estrogen packed Slice of Life animes, males are a non-factor, bland non-entity. Compare this phenomena with the treatment of the opposite gender in this male centric Slice of Life anime, female characters themselves seem to take a life of their own, and that's very refreshing. Granted, some are one dimensional parodies at first.

The good thing about Nichibro is the lack of a lopsided imbalance between the character developments of the cast of both sexes. Plus the fact that Funky and Nichibros intersect with one another, with a clear consciousness that they describe different perspectives of the same setting.
This is true to a point, but I also wonder if the balance isn't becoming too, well, balanced. It can't be denied that this series exists in part as a sort of response to all those estrogen-packed slice-of-life shows. I don't think this one should be evenly balanced if it's very raison d'etre is to be that rare breed, an authentic slice-of-life about guys.

I like a lot of these female characters, but I think they're taking over the show a bit too much. I think the sort of thing we saw in the preview mini-episodes has almost disappeared, and that's a shame because it was some pretty good stuff. Maybe there's a perfect middle ground to be found somewhere here, but I think we've moved farther away from what I thought the core of the series was than I like.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 13:35   Link #407
SamCurt

Quote:
I think the main difference here is that Takakuni seems like he is a reasonable and plain person by nature. Habara's plainess is deliberate, and possibly a persona she cultivates for the purpose of Social Acceptability. The similarities between Takakuni and Habara seems to be only superficial - at it's heart, Habara has differing underlying personality overtones, producing the same result. Differing motivations and causes for the same personality type.
The alternative explanation (which would of course agree to my framework) is
Spoiler:

@Bonta

Of course it's hard for Karasawa to change his mind on Habara. But how about the other boys? We still have no account about how can she terrorize at least 500-600 elementary school boys.
Old 2012-02-15, 15:45   Link #408
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
@Bonta

But how about the other boys? We still have no account about how can she terrorize at least 500-600 elementary school boys.
Well tbh I don't think that really matters, it's not something were here for is it?
Sure it can add to story and character development but in the bigger picture not needed to into detail on imo.
It's not something I care about and if others do then I guess it's their problem as I don't think we'll see the anime go into great detail about the so called other 500 or so kids trying to take down 1 girl.

I only care about the relationship between Habara and Karasawa and since thats what we mainly get it's all good here.

But even then all that comes after the silly and stupid teenage boy nonsense we get
Old 2012-02-15, 19:51   Link #409
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Hmm, a little bit deep of a discussion of Karasawa/Habara we're having here I see.

What do you guys think of Hidenori/Lit.Girl?

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 20:03   Link #410
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Hmm, a little bit deep of a discussion of Karasawa/Habara we're having here I see.
Shipping brings motivation for everyone

Quote:
Fund it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 20:15   Link #411
SamCurt

Quote:
It needs somewhere outside of the riverbank (by extension, her illusion) to see if it works. She might have a more "normal" personality outside of the "riverbank at sunset"...

Despite, falling in love with a "solitary introverted geek" is somehow unusual for a girl.
Old 2012-02-15, 20:27   Link #412
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Shipping brings motivation for everyone
Well, uh, yeah, probably that's the only reason you'd find me anywhere in Animesuki...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Fund it.
Oh, do I have to? Well... but I'm pretty sure this has already been here...

Spoiler for here we go:

I want to post more, but I'm almost late for work, so probably someone can do it in my stead. *runs off... eating last night's fried chicken leftovers while running.*

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

Old 2012-02-16, 02:08   Link #413
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

This has been amusing to watch, though I think Gintama has aired so long now that I can no longer dissociate Tomokazu Sugita from you know who, which now makes it jarring whenever he voices anyone else.

But, what I enjoyed more than all the jokes so far (and idly speculating how many times GE has compared this to that pastel colored show that pretends to be about highschool boys ), was hearing Kotono Mitsuishi again. I had honestly thought she had retired or died or something, as it seems like it's been forever since I heard her in anything. Her voice really took me back to what I consider my golden age in anime viewing (90s to early 2000s), even if it was only for a few seconds.

creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 02:39   Link #414
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I haven't mentioned that show in at least a month, dammit!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 03:31   Link #415
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I haven't mentioned that show in at least a month, dammit!
I've been very busy the last month, and almost completely absent from the animesuki forums, hence the 'speculation'.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 08:03   Link #416
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

I'm super bored at work today, thankfully there's my phone and this is the result of my boredom...

Spoiler for Karasawa:

Spoiler for Habara:

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Old 2012-02-16, 08:25   Link #417
Forsaken_Infinity

Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
I'm super bored at work today, thankfully there's my phone and this is the result of my boredom...

Spoiler for Karasawa:

Spoiler for Habara:
If only my boredom translated into something like those
Old 2012-02-16, 08:41   Link #418
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
What do you guys think of Hidenori/Lit.Girl

Hey, it's not her fault he decided to play along instead of running away?
Old 2012-02-16, 09:23   Link #419
DXMichael
Stare Into My Eyes...

Literature Girl seems to be the only girl I would actually want to hang with in this anime She has a cute rape face....wait.
Old 2012-02-16, 09:45   Link #420
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Actually it WAS Karasawa who changed Habara.

"Back then it took all the famous kids from 1st to 4th grade to take her down.
(Is she a monster?)
There was that incident with Toshiyuki..."

And guess what Karasawa's first name is? So yeah, it stands to reason that those were separate incidents, and Karasawa's incident was the later one.

Really, if anything, Karasawa's 'defiant' attitude this last episode makes me all root for the HabaraXKarasawa ship. Because as Takahiro says, all the high school boys in the area is STILL terrified of her (including himself), but Karasawa is the only guy who isn't quivering in fear despite the one most visibly scarred by her.

As for other ships...

Hidenori/Lit Girl - hilarious!
Tadakuni/Nako - someone even more a 'straight man' than Tadakuni? lols
Ringo/Student Council Prez - S&M coupling XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, satire