AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-27, 01:28   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

One thing I notice immediately is that every show in my top tier is a two-cour, and that’s never happened since I began blogging. In fact, there are generally more multi-cour shows this season than any for quite some time, which I consider a positive trend – I remember a time when 26 episodes was the norm and not the exception, and I think it offers a lot more freedom to tell a complex and interesting story.

Spoiler for Long:
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 02:38   Link #22
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Name of Series: Fate/Zero
Episodes Watched: 4
Rating: A
Comments: I'm a huge type-moon fan, but besides KnK, there has yet to be a well done type-moon adaption. So of course with Urobuchi Gen, studio Ufotable, the director of KnK, and Yuki Kaijura at the helm for this show, I'm one extremely happy camper. Episode 4 had one of the best animated action scenes I've seen in TV anime in years. This adaption is everything Fate/Stay Night the anime should've been but it wasn't. I fully support anythign type-moon related being given to Ufotable in the future from here on out. The anime perfectly captures the mood and feel of the Nasu universe, the way the servants battle, and the descriptive nature of its setting. This is obviously my favorite anime of the season.

Name of Series: Chihayafuru
Rating: A-
Comments: Not exactly the surprise of the season seeing as this is Madhouse behind the wheel of a very popular Josei manga with the director of Nana, there were already a lot of good signs. However, this certainly surpassed expectation and I'm absolutely loving this show thus far. The characters, particularly the main lead Chihaya are an absolute blast. The visuals and BGM are fantastically solid. My second favorite of the season so far.

Name of Series: Gundam Age
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: B
Comments: Despite the PG rating, the show manages to maintain a level of maturity that few supposedly non-PG animes around these parts can. The BGM and visuals are very, very solid. The directing is top notch. Likable characters, and overall just rather enjoyable. The show begins like any other typical Gundam, and really stays true to the spirit of the franchise. Not a bad thing though as it still maanges to be refreshingThis isn't the end of Gundam as we know it like many bloggers out there like to preach. Good, solid show so far.

Name of Series: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sakunai
Comments: I didn't really know what to expect coming into this show, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It's essentially an anime about some sort of hater club which I happen to find extremely amusing. Characters so far are really fun, but who knows if they can keep it up. I really like Yozora the best so far.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Comments: Really solid shonen thus far. The characters are likable and I definitely feel like I'm in for some really exciting stuff in the future. The author of Yu Yu Hakusho certainly doesn't disappoint. Madhouse bats another one out of the park here.

Name of Series: Ben-to
Rating: B-
Comments: Best show for fanservice this season imo. Still the premise is highly amusing. You must put your life on the line for them half priced ben-to's! Solid watch really, and hopefully it continues to be just as amusing.

Name of Series: Mirai Nikki
Rating: C+
Comments: Production value issues are abound, but at least the premise is interesting. The characters hopefully will have more development down the road. The show's biggest issue besides production values though is the pacing. It goes way way too fast to absorb anything about the atmosphere or anything else really. I don't really trust studio asread.

Name of Series:Last Exile Fam
Episodes Watched:2
Rating:B-
Comments:Super skeptical of this going forward. I really, really liked how the original LE was such a dignified anime without any of the plagues of modern anime. This new one has some worrisome elements that might lead this show to its demise. Hope for the best though. Production values are fantastic.

Name of Series:Kimi to Boku
Rating:D+
Comments:It's a slice of life show about 4 guys that act more like 4 girls than 4 guys. Not terrible, but not what I wanted from this show. Dropped.

Name of Series: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Episodes Watched:1
Rating: C+
Comments:Chaotic fun mess story. The watermelon sized breasts are kinda bothersome though, but I'll try to ignore it going forward. It pretty much fulfilled what I expected, lets see if it the plot can be interesting as well

Name of Series: Shana III
Rating: C-
Comments: The show has many issues because of that god awful season 2. However, I think it'll improve in the future. Going to stay tuned for now.

Name of Series:Mashiro-Iro Symphony
Episodes Watched:3
Rating:C+
Comments:Awfully generic setting, but the atmosphere and execution is nice. Manglobe always makes things at least watchable, and that continues even with your run of the mill VN adaption. Something to just chill out to and enjoy if you are any kind of moe fan.

Name of Series:UN-GO
Rating:B
Comments:Really, really solid writing. I like the flow, I like the characters. The setting promises something deeper and more sinister behind all the detective stories, which is intriguing. I am fairly optimistic with this going forward. BONES doing a good job so far.

Name of Series:Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Episodes Watched:D-
Rating:3
Comments:Terrible, terrible VN adaption. The original VN was neither such an ecchi affair, nor was it a harem. The anime isn't even adapting the actual VN and is making up its own story. Plus the production values are kind of poor. Not mention that the plot they did make up is slow and boring. I am really disappointed as a fan of the VN. This is just bad.

Name of Series:Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle
Episodes Watched:1
Rating:N/A
Comments:Dropped. It just had nothing to pull me in for more, especially in such a busy season and when I am really busy IRL as well.

Name of Series: Maken-Ki
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: F
Comments: Wow this was awful. Boring plot, ok that's a given. But it's an ecchi anime that doesn't even look and fails at doing ecchi. Trash anime. Dropped.

Name of Series: C^3
Episodes Watched:3
Comments: Another terrible show. I don't even realize when the episodes are done because I'm so bored that I forget the episode was even on. The plot is too all over the place. The flow and transition is terrible. Everything about this was just so poorly done save the visuals... Sigh, how long has the director of ~ef fallen?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 03:35   Link #23
ninja_pintu

I was looking forward to Autumn season ever since I saw the lineup and so far, this season has not disappointed. I am currently following 17 shows weekly and the only complain I have this season is the uneven distribution of airing days. Though that complain I have every season

In ascending order(by rating) :

Series name: Mashiroiro Symphony
Rating: 6/10
Comments: Your standard Harem show. Nothing stands out in this one. Though I like how they are not trying to sell the show using fanservice.

Series name: Maji De Watashi ni Koi Shinasai
Rating: 6/10
Comments: I really liked the first episode of this one. Though after that the series simply went downhill. Itís full of fanservice jokes and naked girls. But the problem is the jokes just arenít funny. So what are we left with? Watching naked girls talk to themselves for half a episode.

Series name: Workingí!!
Rating: 7/10
Comments: I really liked the first season of working. But for some reason this second season just isnít working for me. The jokes just arenít doing it. But then again I remember facing similar problems in the beginning of first season, so there is a good chance this series may grow on me by the end.

Series name: Phi-Brain
Comments: I am liking this show more than I initially thought. But the way they talk about puzzles in this show feels really stupid. The so called school full of geniuses isnít helping either. Though the puzzles themselves are interesting and also this show sometimes really knows how to build its atmosphere.

Series name: Persona 4
Comments: I was looking forward to this series very much because of how much hype it was getting. Though now that it is out, I just donít understand whatís so good about this series. I do like watching this one and yeah it is entertaining to watch, but I still donít get the appeal that will cause it to become the best seller of fall season.

Series name: Shana III
Comments: I liked both seasons of Shana, though the first half of second season was boring. So, when I heard of the third season, I was pretty excited. So far, this show has fared well on my expectations. I didnít expect it to blow me off as soon as it started but it has made me look forward to it every week.

Series name: Haganai
Comments: I am really liking this show. Itís production values are good, and it can be pretty fun at times. I even like the fanservice in this show The only gripe I have is that the show can get pretty annoying when the jokes arenít working.

Series name: Ben-to
Rating: 7.5/10
Comments: Even before the show started, I knew I would love it. Though itís not as good as I thought it would be and there are a few annoying characters, this show is still funny and manages to suck me into its atmosphere. And the fights are interesting to watch as well

Series name: Chihayafuru
Comments: This show was the surprise of the season for me, and I know I am not the only one feeling that way :P I wasnít even planning on watching it but I heard a lot of good things about this one and as I was getting bored, decided to watch the first episode. And boy was that an awesome episode. This show has one of the most solid first episode of the season alongside Fate/Zero and Guilty Crown.

Series name: C3
Rating: 7.7/10
Comments: At first glance this shows looks nothing more than a typical harem romance anime. But after watching 4 episodes, I can say that this is much more than that. The last two episodes had some nice dose of action and drama. This show reminds of Denyuden in a way how the main character looks down on herself because of her powers and her split personality. I am really looking forward to where this show takes itself.

Series name: Un-GO
Rating: 8/10
Comments: Mystery is not the strong point of this show. I know itís a bit too soon to say that since only 2 episodes have aired, but just judging from these 2 episodes, the mystery hasnít gripped me as much as I would have liked. The mystery and atmosphere themselves are okay, but the problem is presentation. The culprit is always too obvious. But if this show actually does an arc which spans a few episodes, I think it can do a very compelling mystery. I also dislike the use of supernatural in the series, it feels unneeded.

Series name: Fate/Zero
Comments: I had really high expectations on this one even before it aired. And this show has delivered. It had an incredibly solid first episode. And it hasnít gone downhill ever since. It is a very interesting take on the grail war, with lot of strategies and planning going on. It has more of a Death Note feel rather than that of a Fate franchise. It feels kinda sad that I already know whoís gonna win since I watched Stay Night.

Series name: Guilty Crown
Comments: This one really is an eye candy. The art and animation are just really good to watch. To top that off, it has a really beautiful score. So, yeah this show has awesome decorative material. As for the actual content itself i.e. story and characters, they need a lot of work to be likable, but I have faith in the writer, so I am pretty optimistic about this show.

Series name: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Comments: I love show with over complex stories and large cast of named characters. I was really behind Denyuden when it first started airing and I am behind this show now. And this is turning out to be a fairly enjoyable show right now. Also I really like how you just canít sit back and enjoy this show. You really have to pay attention if you are going to understand this and being hard to understand is one of the charms of the show for me. And the main character being really awesome just helps the cause

Series name: Mawaru Penguindrum
Rating: 9/10
Comments: So my favourite show of summer season continues to be my favourite show of fall season. As a horde of awesome shows has come with this new season, Penguindrum has gotten even better and is giving them a tough fight. With new revelations and nice development, I am expecting things to move faster now. Also I love the new opening of the show :P
Old 2011-10-27, 03:41   Link #24
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Only 3 I'm watching this season, but that's usually a good amount for me. Everything else I either wasn't interested in in the first place or lost interest later on.

Name of Series: Persona 4
Comments: My pick of the season. I'm a huge fan of the original game so it's only natural this is one I didn't want to miss. It loses a few points though because it's a different medium of entertainment with a limited run, and thus can't replicate the pacing and explanation the original game had, but in exchange it does a few things better, like flashier action scenes. Hopefully it'll cause some folk to consider giving the game a try as it's well-deserved attention.

Comments: I read the original manga for this series and I loved it. The premise was interesting and the characters developments and revelations were all exciting to follow over the course of the series as things became more and more twisted. I usually have a liking for supernatural mysteries because of this. The adaptation is doing an excellent job at retaining this feeling and I couldn't be more appreciative.

Name of Series: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Comments: I looked into it because of my curiosity about why it was garnering so much attention. I initially expected another generic ecchi/harem/romcom show but what I found instead was a nice surprise. It is plot-less, but the show has a nice smidgen of intelligence to it, questioning just what defines a "friend" and largely focuses on the character's attempts at developing friendships. They also develop very nicely and are easy to like. Plus it also gets points for having a male lead who isn't such a tool.

The "Almost Watched 'Im" shows:

Guilty Crown - Was originally interested in this one because of the attention it was receiving. Lost interest because it was being mostly compared to Code Geass which I've never watched, and hearing that all it really has going for it is it's aesthetics, which I could care less about.

Fate/Zero - Lost interest mostly because I'm not that big of a Fate fan. The only experience I've had with the series is the Fate arc of the VN, and while the concept of the Holy Grail War was interesting, it was executed in a way I found incredibly boring. This one I may pick up at some point in the future but for now it's totally off my radar.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2011-10-27 at 03:53.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 03:47   Link #25
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Episodes Watched: 2
Comments:
Wait, a show about a group of terrible people hating on each other? How can that be fun. Well, we're supposed to laugh at how dysfunctional they are; they don't have friends for a reason. My hopes are for them to actually learn some things about other people, though thus far the show has been an excellent mix of comedy, references, and occasional hawt fanservice. Much better than I would have thought. But that OP is god awful...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Name of Series: Boku wa Tomodachi
Comments: Now this is a harem comedy done right. Although the male lead is cynical most of the time, he can be badass and GAR at times. But the real crux is the bantering between Sena and Yozora which is pretty hilarious. All the characters are bunch of "haters", which is a big plus for me . And I'll be lying my ass off if I said some of the fanservice wasn't appealing. I do skip the OP though... reminds me of Denpa Onna's OP...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Name of Series: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sakunai
Comments: I didn't really know what to expect coming into this show, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It's essentially an anime about some sort of hater club which I happen to find extremely amusing. Characters so far are really fun, but who knows if they can keep it up. I really like Yozora the best so far.
I think I just figured out why this show just hasn't resonated with me quite like it has with some people... I don't have that kind of affinity with the characters.

Anyway, I'm kind of overwhelmed with school these days but I just want to say that my general opinion of this season is that I'm pretty impressed with the action/thriller crop from this season and not impressed by the moe show crop (especially compared to the moe shows aired earlier in 2011).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 03:59   Link #26
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I think I just figured out why this show just hasn't resonated with me quite like it has with some people... I don't have that kind of affinity with the characters.
I find your lack of hate disturbing .

Quote:
Anyway, I'm kind of overwhelmed with school these days but I just want to say that my general opinion of this season is that I'm pretty impressed with the action/thriller crop from this season and not impressed by the moe show crop (especially compared to the moe shows aired earlier in 2011).
I am too impressed with the action/thriller crop this season. I was actually expecting no good SoL or dramas but Boku wa Tomodachi and Chihayafuru have been fulfilling that, so both my needs were met .
Old 2011-10-28, 06:14   Link #27
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well the appeal of Boku Wa Tomodachi's cast is that they are quirky but at the same time we realize that there's something really terrible about them so we watch as they try to change or get around their problems.

And there's still the lead too... he's not a bad person.

Anyhow some updates...

Name of Series: Last Exile: Fam
Comments:
Although certain fanservicey elements would have bothered me, it hasn't gotten in the way of enjoyment as the plot has kicked into full gear. While many shows suffer from stringing you around too much, Last Exile doesn't bog you down with nonsense. Tons of great actions and good backgrounds guarantee the show will be a entertaining watch, regardless of what else happens

Comments:
Fuck this show. The complete lack of any sensible pacing or any attempt at storytelling makes me wonder what the point of this anime is. I'm sorry, level grinding may be fun to play, but it is not fun to watch. I really should have known better since the last Persona anime was balls anyways. It's in the league of Higurashi Kira and Dragonaut for one of the worst anime I've seen in the last couple of years as literally no moment is entertaining. Plus it doesn't even look very good; as I've said elsewhere, it shouldn't be called Persona 4 the animation. The later part is a misnomer.

Status (Keep/drop/stall): Drop this off the Empire State Building. Should have really kept Horizon.

Name of Series: Gundam Age
Rating: B+
Comments:
Well, I must say Age despite its supposedly childish appearance has presented a much more mature story than others that purport to be mature would have. General badassery, a decent male lead, great directing style, and of course Yurin make this a great watch.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Comments:
Killua's a cool guy indeed! With a great soundtrack, this proves to be much more interesting than expected. Actually pretty much every character in this is a badass.
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-10-28 at 08:36. Reason: typos
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 08:40   Link #28
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Episodes Watched: 1 (unfortunately )
Rating: 9/10 (impressive)
Comments: Initially, this series appears to be an uninteresting series about an absurd topic — the game of half-price bento warfare. Sen Yarizui and those juicy legs were the ones who reeled me in, and I find myself longing for more. Is this the charm of being in the battlefield called the convenience store?

Name of Series: Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Rating: 8 (okay)
Comments: Probably the challenging watch of the season. While the humor and interaction between the characters of the Neighbors' Club aren't boring and that clichťd, Yozora's abrasive behavior is really that repulsive. I almost considered dropping the series because of her, but after hearing about what Episode 4 is in store, I'm bracing myself for the greatest introduction in the UNIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERSE this season.

Rating: 9 (impressive)
Comments: Contrary to popular opinions, I enjoy every single episode of Horizon. It's as if I found an undeciphered book and was enthralled into exposing its secrets to everyone, thus the founding of the wiki dedicated to the series. Everything Horizon offers might not be everyone's cup of tea, but for the very few who continue to watch this series, I'll be anticipating the discussions and speculah.

Name of Series: Shakugan no Shana Final
Rating: 9 (impressed)
Comments: It is still calm in the Shana front. While the Flame Haze protags prepare for a battle against the most unlikely opponent, we stroll down Memory Lane as we discover how much has changed over the years. Shana's no longer just a Flame Haze and Yuji's no longer just a husk of his former self. As a loyal fan of Shakugan no Shana, I'll be holding on to this till the end.
Status (Keep/drop/stall):

Name of Series: Shinryaku!? Ika Musume
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: 8 (okay)
Comments: The adventures of Ika Musume as she claims the hearts of many continues, and I haven't finished the second season. Welp. The unusual subs I stumbled upon were squiddingly amusing, and the opening might need some more episodes to be used to.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall until I finish the first season. My bad.

Name of Series: Working'!!
Rating: 9 (impressive)
Comments: Wagnaria strikes again with their slice of trolling each other. Whether it's Yachiyo trolling Satou, Satou trolling Poplar, Takanashi trolling Inami (and/or getting punched by her), Souma and Yamada trolling everyone, and poor Normal-san surviving in this comedic warzone, there's never a dull moment.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 13:05   Link #29
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Episodes Watched: 1 (unfortunately )
This needs to be changed. However, I wonder how they will make the show last through its run.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 01:03   Link #30
4Tran

Title: Persona 4
Number of episodes watched: 4
Is it entertaining? Somewhat.
Is it any good? Not really.
Notes: While I'm not very familiar with the game, it seems that the original work's stronger qualities carry over to a degree to the anime. However, the weakness of the direction and the over-faithfulness of the adaptation serve to drag it down. Also, it'd be a waste to not see Chie kick monsters to death.

Title: Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere
Number of episodes watched:
Is it entertaining? It's the best Horizon show made (or can be made? ).
Notes: An absolute tour de force in how to adapt a large work that's unsuited to being made into an anime series. All anime producers should look at Horizon and learn their lessons from it!

Title: Guilty Crown
Number of episodes watched: 3
Is it entertaining? Yes?
Is it any good? No!
Notes: Guilty Crown deciding to make policial commentary a major focus of the show was a bad sign - one that could only be saved either by fantastic writing or great characters. Instead of doing that, the creators decided to deliver yet more school based antics and arbitrary rules for their magic system.

Title: Un-Go
Is it entertaining? Maybe?
Is it any good? Not really.
Notes: More political commentary, and it's surprisingly unengaging (even moreso than usual!). None of the mysteries so far have been very interesting and the only character of note so far is Inga.

Title: Ben-To
Is it entertaining? Yes.
Is it any good? It really depends on your tastes. I'd hazard no, but it's still worth watching.
Notes: It's utterly stupid, and it revels full-bore in its stupidity. And it's this very willingness to embrace its strong points that make Ben-To as entertaining as it is.

Title: Kimi to Boku
Is it entertaining? Yes.
Is it any good? A conditional yes. It depends on whether you find this kind of show (and its execution) boring.
Notes: I liked this show a lot more than I expected. The premise isn't much, but the interactions between the characters are fairly amusing.

Title: Chihayafuru
Is it entertaining? Yes!
Is it any good? Emphatically yes!
Notes: Chihayafuru is a stellar example of a well-produced anime that uses conventional direction. The characters are interesting, the transitions and shots work well, and the sound design is good. Do note though that this is very much a sports anime, and karuta is going to be the main focus of the show.

And the hold-over from the summer:

Title: Mawaru Penguindrum
Number of episodes watched: 16
Is it entertaining? It is a penguin-class show!
Is it any good? It is a penguin-class show!
Notes: As the only penguin-class show around, there really isn't anything else like Penguindrum. I think it's safe to say that this is a shoo-in for being better than even Hourou Musuko.
Old 2011-10-29, 18:51   Link #31
ion475
にこにこにー

Might as well post my grade (so far) this season...

Rating: 9
Comments: Since I read the novel, nothing is exactly surprise to me. On the other hand, as I predicted, it will take no time for people to hate Yozora, while people would raise the rating of this series by quite a bit once Rika appears. At the end, though, Meat is still the salepoint.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keeping, of course...this is my #1 show this season.

Name of Series: Shinryaku!? Ika-Musume
Rating: 8
Comments: It's fairly consistent with 1st season. Only difference is that it was a surprisingly good series to me the 1st time around, while this time around, I already know it, which makes the excitement level goes down a little bit...

Name of Series: Working'!!
Rating: 9
Comments: Wagnaria is as dysfunctional as usual. Keeping the focus away from Inami-Takanashi works better for me also. (NEED...MOAR...POPLAR)

Rating: 7
Comments: It may go up, or down...I mean, 2 episodes doesn't really tell much when the 1st one is non-sense...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keeping, although progressing at a turtle-pace

Name of Series: Tamayura ~hitotose~
Rating: 7.5
Comments: Hard to judge this anime. On one hand, it's not like this is Majikoi level of bad. On the other hand, it's very boring. Of course, having a Iguchi Yuka voiced character never helped things (Thinking about it, though, it does makes me appreciated her crazy voiced acting as Subaru in Mayo Chiki...)
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keeping - This is my "healing" anime of the season (and as the best way to make sure I fell asleep...)

Name of Series: C^3
Rating: 6
Comments: Fear is moe, have a good VA, okay action scene, story is okay (for now). Even if it starts to go downhill, though, I'll still keep watching it just b/c of the fact that Fear IS (dangerously) moe...

Name of Series: Gundam AGE
Rating: 7.5
Comments: It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, knowing that Yurin will probably be gone for awhile, it may become bad again...

Name of Series: Ben-To
Rating: 10
Comments: What's not to like about this series? It's funny in a sense that it makes absolutely no sense at all...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep - I finally know why the novel is so popular...

Name of Series: Maji De Watashi ni Koi Shinasai
Episodes Watched: 5 minutes (Maybe...)
Rating: 0
Comments: Watch about 1st 5 minutes, thought that this would be just another Queen's Blade, dropped...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Drop

Last edited by ion475; 2011-10-29 at 19:04.
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 12:13   Link #32
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Ok, let me join in the fun (and I should really be working instead of writting this ):

Comments: I'm 4 episodes in and I still have no idea what the hell's going on other than bewwbs. Seriously, those milk jugs are distracting has hell.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep for now but not sure for how long

Name of Series: Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing
Comments: I feel that having watched Last Exile back in 2003 and remembering little of the show is hindering my enjoyment of this new installment but the art and CG seem top notch again and the plot has done a great job at keeping me interested even if I fell like I'm missing something. On the other hand at least it isn't the train wreck that the Kiddy Grade "sequel" was.

Name of Series: Persona 4 - The Animation
Comments: While I'm still enjoying this it's getting harder and hard to keep doing so. First the pace was traveling by Shinkansen and now it seems to have moved on to a rollercoaster or something cause it's completely out of whack. I have zero interest in the characters so far and I still don't know if the main even has one.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep but not sure for how long. Even flimsier than Horizon in my interests.

Name of Series: Un-GO
Rating: C
Comments: It's... interesting I would say. I also feel like this shows seems to need to up the quality of it's so called mysteries to star being interesting and Inga seems completely out of place and a Deus Ex Machina to solve mysteries that don't even seem to be all that interesting.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep for now.

Comments: This show has proven as interesting as I was expecting. The budget is clearly lacking but it's being put to good use and even if the main seems like an annoying and useless kid I hope we'll see some interesting developments along the story to make it worthwile. Either I'll have fun watching it all go bonkers or he'll grow a pair and make things interesting. Either way I'm on board.

Name of Series: Hunter X Hunter 2011
Episodes Watched: 5
Comments: The first episodes looked a bit too generic for my tastes but it's been growing on me these past few episodes. Having never gotten the chance of watching the first adaptation for lack of time I'm finding myself interested enough to expect the episode each week. Good enough for me.

Name of Series: Working!!
Rating: A-
Comments: More of the same but with less focus on Inami. More than good enough for me. Like someone mentioned it mostly makes one smile instead of laugh out loud but that's not bad at all, it's actually rather refreshing.

Name of Series: Kidou Senshi Gundam AGE
Comments: I have to admit I'm enjoying AGE quite a bit. The designs are deliciously retro and the colors so vibrant that I just can't help but smile. I'm not particularly sold on the OP mostly cause the song hasn't struck my fancy but the ED would be one of the best I've seen if it weren't for a certain other show this season. The story also seems to hint at some darker stuff than the aforementioned vibrant colors and designs would seem to imply so it seems like a good bet to keep watching.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): keep

Name of Series: Tamayura: Hitotose
Comments: I want to like this, I really do. The previews are so similar to Aria that I almost shed tears, the OP and ED songs are so soothing and the VAs just make me fanboy out virtually every episode but there's something not quite right. The sountrack while pretty decent isn't exactly at Aria levels of enjoyment and the stories so far while enjoyable haven't left me with that stupid grin on my face due to how honest and sweet they were. It feels like Tamayura is trying too hard and something keeps it down (my guess is the budget). Still, the lack of Aria compels me to keep watching this since it's close enough.

Name of Series: Fate/Zero
Episodes Watched: 5
Rating: A+
Comments: Ok so the OP and ED aren't particularly gifted with amazing songs, the CGI while pretty good most of the times has had it's jarring moments and some scenes might be considered by a few as too wordy (not me, I like me some words) but it is still pretty epic and I'm a sucker for the Fate universe and Urobuchi Gen's works. Sorry, I'm keeping this out of sheer "fanboyism".

Name of Series: Guilty Crown
Comments: It looks amazing and it has some absolutely stunning songs. that insert song on the first episode just had my jaw on the floor for as long as it kept up and then the ED just kept it on the floor hindering my best attempts at picking it up. The plot seems... strange but I'll bite and see what comes out of this. Even if it turns out being as mediocre as it hints to be the action and animation is still more than good enough to keep me going. That and I've seen worse.

That's about it. I had my eye on a few more shows but time doesn't allow me to watch them all. This season looks like it has an amazing selection of shows for a change so even if the next ones are a bit subpar I'll probably have stuff leftover to keep me company.

Last edited by Dextro; 2011-11-01 at 12:19. Reason: DOH! Forgot one
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 20:09   Link #33
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Carry over from last season

Name of Series: The Id@lmaster
Episodes Watched: 14
Rating: A+
Comments: It is very good overall and no flaws. The characters have nice personalities. The animation is pretty fluid. The music in there is catchy and uses them at the right time.

Name of Series: Mawaru Penguin Drum
Episodes Watched: 16
Comments: This anime is somewhat surreal at times but in a good way. None of the characters are unpleasant. The Penguins are cute and enjoyable to look at. One the better surreal-dramatic animes. Also the humor that is very cliche out numbers the good ones.

Well carry over from 3 seasons ago
Name of Series: Suite Precure
Episodes Watched: 36
Comments: I really like how Hibiki and Kanade have to harmonized to be Precure at first so it made their Tsundere in the beginning a bit bearable. For current it had some fillers in there kinda of made it slow a bit but after Cure Muse was revealed it started to pick up the pace.

Current Season

Comments: An anime I seriously don't get why it's looked down upon. The animation is pretty fluid most of the time. I love how the shadows shows your other self. Also love the RPG like feel.

Name of Series: Shinryaku?! Ika-musume
Comments: It is decent overall but some of the characters on it bugs me a little.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall

Rating: Super F
Comments: The first half of episode 1 was decent but then it went into a downward spiral that reminds me of very stereotypical animes where they try to be meaningful but fails miserably and very cliched. Sometimes this series makes me think how the fuck did it get hyped.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Dropped

Name of Series: Mashiroiro Symphony
Comments: The only issue was slow pacing other than that it is good. I love it how it is a harem like show without using ecchi jokes.

Last edited by Ichuki; 2011-11-20 at 12:30.
Ichuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 17:42   Link #34
Flower
Cute as a button! ^^

Okay - it is about mid-way through the season. Thought it might be a good time to update our impressions of the various series we were following at the beginning and see how they fared.

Spoiler for Early Season Impressions ... Long Post:

A List [Those I am avidly following]

Tamayura Hitotose (absolute favorite of the season).
The iDOLM@STER (continued "stupendousness"! - carryover from last season).

B List [Those I am following, but not avidly]

Chihayafuru (biggest surprise of the season for me).
Towa no Quon (reminds me of the X-men back in the early 80's for some reason).
Mashiro-iro Symphony (excellent, solid adaptation that is extremely enjoyable).
Morita-san wa Makuchi S2 (much more interesting now that it has new material).
Busou Shinku: Moon Angel (wish more eps would show up) - carryover from last season.

C List [Those I am still undecided whether or not to commit to following]

Copihan (is this even airing anymore? ... still not sure what it is about after 5 eps ).
C3 Cube x Cursed x Curious (reminds me of the good and bad of "Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka" - this is prolly my "guilty pleasure" of the season ... not sure why I like it as much as I do, but I do).
Guilty Crown (kinda clumsily executed but gorgeous visuals and music).

D List [Those I have tried and dropped - no order of preference in this section btw]

- Ben-To (that violence on the main male protagonist was too much to stomach).
- Un-Go (lead male character gave a agonizingly pretentious "manifesto" at the end of ep 2 that was SO bad I dropped it).
- Maken-ki (plain awful - nuff said).
- Boku wa Tomodachi (wish that there was less focus on fanservice and stupid jokes and more on character devlopment ... feel bad for Yozora, but she is just plain mean when it comes down to it).
- Working 2 (not bad, but not enough to move me to actively follow it).
- Mirai Nikki (dropped not b/c of anything bad - I read the manga and am short on time).
- Ika Musume 2 (was not really a fan of S1, it's ok, but for me only ok).

More dropped than I had expected.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 21:27   Link #35
webkid94
*Author

From Bad to Awesome:

#12 - Guilty Crown (5/22) - Ugh this show reminds me of Eureka Seven (and i hated that show) when it should at least aim for Code Geass. Shu is annoying, Inori is lifeless and Gai is...Gai. The visuals are impeccable, though.

#11 - UN-GO (3/11) - Another BONES/noitaminA mix? It's better than No.6 so far, but it's really kinda plain and Inga scares the hell out of me. I will finish this series as its only 11 episodes.

#10 - Haganai (6/??) - Better than i had expected but it's not high priority for me. Airs on thursdays, i watch it on Saturdays most likely. That OP is addicting though.

#9 - C3 (7/??) Pretty much everything i said to Haganai applies here, yes including the addicting OP part.

#8 - Persona 4 The Animation (6/two-cour): I really like this show despite the QUALITY/sunburned faces. The characters are fun and it's a worthwhile watch so far.

#7 - The iDOLM@STER (19/25): This show is so adorable and fun to watch, nothing more to say here.

#6 - Mobile Suit Gundam Age (6/50?): MUCH better than i had expected but some of the characters are still pretty annoying (Emily) except for one awesome character (Grudech).

#5 - Kimi to Boku (6/13): This show totally reminds me of Natsume Yuujinchou, only grounded in realism. The first two episodes suck, but it keeps getting better and better! Love the ED song!

#4 - Ben-to (6/12): This is where i start to care about my series. Ben-to is hilarious, great action scenes blended with awesome BGM!

#3 - Mirai Nikki (6/26): HOLY CRAP THIS SHOW IS SO CREEPY! Yuno is just terrifying D:

#2 - Chihayafuru (6/25): If Kimi to Boku and Chihayafuru had a child it would be Natsume Yuujinchou. Anyways, this show is the kind of heartwarming series i'm lacking since Natsume San.

#1 - Fate/Zero (6/25): RIDER > ALL. Also, ufotable > ALL (except Brains Base). This show is so worth forking 500 dollars for 13 episodes for it. This show convinced me to start playing the Fate/stay night VN and that was SO worth it!
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 22:55   Link #36
Echoes

Spoiler for Initial impressions:

Half-way there, and most of the shows I've been following have been relatively stable, but there's been some changes here and there.

Bakuman II. This has gotten even worse, somehow. The fact that I don't feel much for the characters coupled with some pedestrian and tepid drama makes this hard to justify keeping up with. There are funny moments here and there, usually involving the side-cast.
Change: Even worse, somehow

Kimi to Boku.
With the addition of the new, energetic cast member, things have improved. This is still a little bland in both humor, presentation and the characters fail to stand out most of the time, but it definitely has its moments.
Change: Slight improvement

Ben-to.
After some more episodes of this, I can see why people enjoy it so much. However, I still don't. I see the clever approach to the ridiculous subject matter and the original humor, but it just doesn't hit home with me. Probably not a bad show, but fails to be anything more than passable entertainment to me.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon.
With the latest episodes, this has picked up some steam. The less they focus on groping breasts, and the more they focus on either action, plot or just fleshing out the rich setting, the happier I'll be. The women are a spectacle to behold still, though, absurd breasts still not withstanding.

Persona 4.
With the bumpy ride that was the first couple of episodes, this is looking a lot better. The characters are very enjoyable, the designs are slick as hell, and the stories are interesting. What I'm enjoying most at the moment is the character interaction, there's some good chemistry going. Horie Yui's fantastic portrayal of Satonaka is particularly compelling. She's really cool.
Change: Great improvement

CubexCursedxCurious. This is still entertaining, but not really engaging on the plot-level. Yukari is still the star of the show, for better or worse.
Change: Stable

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! Still funny, still avoiding most traps that sink most shows of this genre. There are times when it indulges in some questionable humor, but even then, it puts it own spin on it and makes it tolerable. For the most part, it's a blast to watch. The cast is really solid, and the humor knows how to be raunchy without being stupid.

Tamayura Hitotose.
It pains me to say this, but Tamayura has gotten a little less interesting along the way. That isn't to say it's not good, it's very good still, but some of the charm is wearing off. Ironically, the latest episode was probably the best of the bunch, but overall, I feel as though there's been a slight downwards trend. Still atmospheric and nice, and I got a feeling it might pick up again.
Change: Ever so slightly worse

Chihayafuru. This show is still consistently good, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. Chihaya is a lovely lead, who you can't help but root for, and every character the show feels very human. There's no cliched cardboard cutouts, and I appreciate that very much. Top-notch story telling too.

Mirai Nikki. With the introduction of more strong characters and gruesome slayings courtesy of the lovely Yuno, I'm one happy camper. I hope they can keep this up, this is engaging and very easy to immerse yourself in.
Change: Solid improvement

Mashiro-iro Symphony. While nothing has topped the artistic masterpiece that was the first episode as of yet (and I suspect nothing shall), this has still been an incredibly pleasant show. Lay back and let the beautiful scenery and the beautiful characters draw you in while sipping your drink of choice. This is enjoyable in every way it seeks to be.

Working!! II Still funny. Still original. Still has an ensemble cast of great characters. Little to complain about here, if you want a solid comedy, it's right here.

Shinryaku!? Ika Musume. This is still my favorite comedy of the last few years, and still my favorite show of the season. If anything, it has gotten a tiny bit better as it's gone along (the English skit was absolutely hilarious.) I love every second of this, and I don't even want it to go away.

Lastly, I checked out Guilty Crown finally. Here are some thoughts about it.

Guilty Crown has an engaging plot, a setting that is rife with intrigue and violence, and wonderful visuals. The character designs look great, and so does the animation. The vocalized action tracks of the soundtrack does not serve the show well, in my opinion. Lacking any expertise on the subject, I'll simply say that I think they sound horrible. There are some minor gripes with the logic of the plot, but overall, it's pretty interesting and it keeps you watching, at the very least. A major gripe I do have is this: Does everything have to revolve around sex? It seems like every little thing in the show is either blatantly sexual, or has some sort of sexual connotation. He activates his power by pushing his hand into Inori's breasts, after which she makes facial gestures as though she's having an orgasm. Real subtle, guys. That aside, it's a fun ride, and has the potential to really impress or completely jump the shark later on.
Rating: Very Good

Last edited by Echoes; 2011-11-18 at 21:24. Reason: small typo
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 02:26   Link #37
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Spoiler for my impressions so far:

Other ones I watched, but don't feel like talking about at the moment

SnS III
Un-GO
Mirai Nikki
Gintama'
Squid Girl season 2
Sket Dance

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 20:35   Link #38
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I stopped watching Persona 4. Its not bad but it just unimpressive at best. Also putting Chihayafuru as "on hold" so I can concentrate on Horizon and Mashiro. Will watch it later if Winter next year don't have any interesting shows to see.

Name of Series: Horizon
Episodes Watched: 6
Comments: The story didn't hook me but the animation quality did, as expected from Sunrise considering themselves also busy with Gundam AGE. Yeah less fanservice and more into story. I also hope it will have second season as someone told me it was based from long-running light novel. I will stick this one to end of this season.

Name of Series: Mashiro-Iro Symphony
Episodes Watched: 6
Comments: It kinda ironic that this show impressed me more than Horizon. I expected this show to be a crappy harem but it just not. Its also quite disappointing its animation quality somewhat dated, maybe its cheaper than Horizon, Guilty Crown and perhaps last year's Yosuga no Sora. This show is relaxing as sipping icy juice at summer afternoon, which is my favorite past time.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 09:55   Link #39
Sciel
Etoilť

TL;DR impressions out of 10 up to the latest episodes.
Ben-to : 6.5
C3 : 7
Chihayafuru : 8
Fate/Zero : 11
Guilty Crown : 8
Gundam Age : 6
Kimi to Boku : 8.5
Horizon: 7.5
Mashi-iro Symphony : 7.5
Mirai Nikki : 8
P4 : 9
Shana : 7

Biasness : Fate/Zero and P4 scores can be considered a tad biased since i am a bit of a fanboy for both series . Still, so far they are great adaptations.

Pleasant Surprises : Kimi to Boku, Chihayafuru and Mashi-iro Symphony have all surprised me. Kimo to Boku and Chihayafuru especially since the i didn't know what to expect from an all boys (initially) and karuta anime .

Confused : So many episodes in and i still don't have much of a clue about Horizon's plot. Still like the show though !. Same for Shana (though its more due to it airing so long after the second season).

Disappointments : I would say Guilty Crown has disappointed me quite a bit plotwise so far. Everything else though has been excellent and here's hoping it gets much better. Just can't get into Gundam Age. Very disappointed in the plot, writing
and some of the characters shown so far.

The weird : Ben-to, probably the weirdest shounen(?) anime i have ever seen. Need i say more ?
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 11:24   Link #40
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I haven't dropped any series, so the ones I'm following from this season are:

Fate/Zero: Great action and some likable characters (my favorite being Waver and Rider), but a lot of the anime follows the "tell, don't show" method. Rating: Pretty good.

Guilty Crown: Reminds me of way too many anime and movies that I hate, on top of unlikeable characters, really bad plotholes, and not having a clear audience. Can occasionally be funny/cool, but most of it is surprisingly boring. Rating: Mixed between really boring and hilariously bad.

Future Diary: Awesome on almost every level. Characters are great, mood is great, action is great, and its campy atmosphere allows you to accept some of the most ridiculous plot conveniences. The only thing that isn't great is its obvious low budget. Rating: Awesome.

I Don't Have Many Friends: Hands down the most unexpected anime for me to like, period. Awesome comedic timing, characters are likable, and it knows its target audience, but some of the shots are weird. It's actually closer to Seinfeld than Lucky Star is (still confused on why people call it the "Seinfeld" of anime). Rating: Surprisingly good.

P4 The Animation: Pretty stupid and follows the game way too closely at times, but it's always entertainingly stupid. Rating: Pretty funny, but it's not a good show.

Shana III: Hands down the most boring anime I'm watching this season. How the hell can you make an awesome twist like that so boring? The characters can occasionally be cool though. Rating: *Snooze*

Sket Dance: Only anime I'm following from previous seasons. It's pretty hit and miss, but I love the characters. They are so awesome. Rating: Mixed.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2011-11-21 at 01:33.
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote