AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Old 2012-05-23, 14:47   Link #1821
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Personally I actually find it logical. It's not unusual for some people in positions of relative power to use that position for personal gain, in this case it would be eating too much likely because they have enough hold to be able to personally percure that being in high positions and such. I find it more likely to find fat commanders in the Vagans than the EF because of the culture of "food being scarce".

Not all Vagans commanders do this obviously, but some might take advantage of it if they rise to a decent position, especially if they grew up with the shortage, basically taking the "I used to starve so now I'll enjoy" mentality whereas other commanders would take the "I shall not overindulge because my people are suffering" mentality.
the thing is though, being overweight, fat, obese means the person has a lack of self control and discipline, and those are not qualities of a good officer.

nobody would take this guy seriously if they're starving on petty rations while he's stuffing his mouth with all the good food. He'd be given a desk job somewhere pushing pencils...

but this is is sci fi and it looks "cool" to have a fatass bad guy in command.
Old 2012-05-23, 14:58   Link #1822
monster

Was it ever said that hunger is a current problem amongst the Vagans?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 15:05   Link #1823
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Was it ever said that hunger is a current problem amongst the Vagans?
Well I'm assuming that they're living in harsh conditions because of the mars radiation and such and since it's a remote colony it'd be difficult to produce food on the same scale as Earth would.

I mean the reason they are invading Earth is to give themselves a better life.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 16:04   Link #1824
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Well I'm assuming that they're living in harsh conditions because of the mars radiation and such and since it's a remote colony it'd be difficult to produce food on the same scale as Earth would.

I mean the reason they are invading Earth is to give themselves a better life.
While Earth should still provide a better place to live, and no doubt that there are starving Vagans in Mars or their colony, I don't think a society can survive more than a hundred years with such advance technologies if they haven't, at least partially, solved the hunger issues.*

Even on Earth, there are still plenty of people that go hungry everyday, but I wouldn't say human beings, as a whole, have hunger issues to the point that seeing fat people in command would be shocking.

* Of course, the secret to how they got their technology, if they didn't develop it themselves, might reveal a whole lot about how their society have survived.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 17:17   Link #1825
JMvS
Rawrrr!

My take on how the Vagan managed to survive and somehow develop, is that they had to radically depart from the way colonists live in the Earth sphere.

We know that the original experimental colonies (similar to those in the Earth sphere with extended solar mirrors) were a failure in that they left their inhabitants exposed to the "Mars rays".

If we judge from how their home now diverge from the original colonies, we can assume that it is much more heavily built, with some massive protective shielding to block the radiations. Due to these requirements, we can assume that the colony is much more cramped (less inhabitable volume available for a same mass of building material), and most likely obscured from the Sun (allowing sun light in = allowing deathly rays in), it might even be stationed in Mars's shadow. To sum it up, the Vagan's are surviving coped in a packed cave.

In addition, it can be assumed that they'd logically diverge to an r reproduction stategy, faced with high unavoidable mortality, they'd maximize their number of offsprings in order for enough to survive the disease mortality rate. This would fit with their home being necessarily cramped, and them being able to field so many young soldiers (perhaps a number of them are actually already condemned, with only a year or months to live, and were put to cold sleep in waiting for the opportunity to be of use in Ezelcant's plan).
Old 2012-05-23, 17:48   Link #1826
GN0010 Nosferatu
Thunder Cloud 編隊!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant42 View Post
Hmm... It seems things is not like what we thought, in that Darkhound pic the summary of ep 37 "The world of Vegan" said it was Kio who was taken to "Second Moon " Vegan's HQ and he will meet Izelcant there.
I like where this is going.

I wonder what the Second Moon is. Phobos? Deimos?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 20:50   Link #1827
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
the thing is though, being overweight, fat, obese means the person has a lack of self control and discipline, and those are not qualities of a good officer.
My teacher is as almost fat as him, just because he's drinking water too much (mind you, not even beer) and always eating sweet potatoes, so I don't really think fat has all those qualities you mentioned.
Old 2012-05-23, 22:53   Link #1828
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post

nobody would take this guy seriously if they're starving on petty rations while he's stuffing his mouth with all the good food. He'd be given a desk job somewhere pushing pencils...

but this is is sci fi and it looks "cool" to have a fatass bad guy in command.
That's the case if that is his only trait, but one sums up an individual by all of his parts rather than one. Having one negative trait can easily be balanced by another trait that he's really good at or surprises his negative traits. For all we know, getting more food is just an incentive reward for higher military positions, and that he either takes advantages to it to the fullest or eats as much as other without as much exercise.

It also depends on how "starved" the military actually is. Given how the Vagans seem put a lot emphasis on their effort on winning as it would bring the salvation to all Vagans, a lot of food allocation for the Vagans may have been placed there.

And that's just in a total meritocracy. Organizations function on more than just that, sometimes you can also get into a high position if you happen to have a lot of political power or have gained the favor of some people. It happens in organizations all the time.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2012-05-23 at 23:59.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 23:38   Link #1829
GrahamAker
狙撃する準備ができ

Send a message via Yahoo to GrahamAker Send a message via Skype™ to GrahamAker
Kindly cut out the crap about fat generals and get on with real age stuff!!
Old 2012-05-23, 23:42   Link #1830
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamAker View Post
This is real AGE stuff. A social analysis on the physical appearance not one or two generals and possibilities on why this is based on a society of starving dying people, which also happens to the main reason this war is supposedly fought in the first place.
Old 2012-05-23, 23:44   Link #1831
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamAker View Post
that's not nice

Graham, what do you think of old man Flit?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 00:05   Link #1832
GrahamAker
狙撃する準備ができ

Send a message via Yahoo to GrahamAker Send a message via Skype™ to GrahamAker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
that's not nice

Graham, what do you think of old man Flit?
He was fine in 1st arc. I liked flit in the 2nd arc (asemu arc). He is looking good in the 3rd arc . He has some new shades to his personality in the 3rd arc .
Old 2012-05-24, 00:11   Link #1833
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I like where this is going.

I wonder what the Second Moon is. Phobos? Deimos?
If the "Second Moon" is really a martian moon, most likely the larger and closer Phobos. But that eye-colony thing does looks artificial, advanced and based on episode 29, hollow.
Old 2012-05-24, 00:12   Link #1834
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Vagans aren't starving. Their lives are just tough.

They used to starve and from that they got really hardcore, focused, and angry. They then tamed a chunk of Mars but still live without peace of mind, as they don't have an M class planet to fall back on. They have to do everything the hard way.

They are a culture of pure spacers... no Earth backup.

Life was tough at the beginning but it seems they've got creative and innovative. Their naval ships and mechs outclass federation tech. If it weren't for Flit, the Federation would be screwed.

They're sort of like the Helghast in Killzone. A bunch of humans dumped off in hostile space but they manage to survive and even thrive. They get really pissed and hope to take over the planets that abandoned them and enjoy the good life for a change... beautiful planets that non-spacenoids take for granted.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 06:18   Link #1835
bio9205
Reborn

I've always assumed that it's not that the Vagans weren't well off, but it was sort of revenge that they seek against humans.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 07:18   Link #1836
gordol

gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 07:25   Link #1837
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!

Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
Will we ever see Asemu in this manga?
Old 2012-05-24, 07:31   Link #1838
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Hmmm...the federation recovered the core...but no Asemu

Based on the characters' reactions, Asemu was trapped inside the AGE-2 remains?
Old 2012-05-24, 07:46   Link #1839
bio9205
Reborn

Wait... So the Federation got the AGE core, and the Visidian got the rest of the AGE-2? (Along with Asemu, that is?)
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 09:42   Link #1840
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Had a feeling the Pirate Gundam wasn't simply the AGE-2.

Does a Madorna have anything to do with Dark Hound?

G-<spoiler> parts?

Madorna's are involved with the pirates but Rody Madorna works for Flit and the Federation. Seems like he was involved in the AGE-3 program.

Mukured would be over 100 years old in Kio's story and at least 95 when designed the new G-Mecha and helped with the Dark Hound.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote