AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Old 2011-10-25, 09:30   Link #1
tyciol
*Artist

Unico (ユニコ Yuniko?) 70s/80s manga+anime by Osamu Tezuka, 3 anime films

I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to see any of these old films? I came across them through interest in other works by Tezuka such as Astro Boy and Black Jack. They are about a cute unicorn and stuff. The manga apparently only amassed 2 volumes from November '76- March '79 and while it didn't have a TV series, spawned several single anime films. These appear to be;

*April '79: "Black Cloud and White Feather" followed a month after the manga finished.
*March '81: "The Fantastic Adventures of Unico" (received May '83 release in US)
*July '83: "Unico in the Island of Magic" (November '83 release in US).

I am guessing that the US releases were dubs and I am not sure if any subtitled versions exist or if they would even be licensed anymore. But since BCaWF doesn't list a US date, my assumption is the first film probably isn't. I can't find any data on any active companies still managing the license, feel free to correct.

Apparently this was popular enough to spawn some English fansites:
http://www.kawaiiunico.com
http://www.fujikoma.com/unico

Kawaii had a September announcement for a company called Discotek which posted this photo announcing they may release a coupe of the movies next year:
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 09:36   Link #2
FireChick

ZOMG I LOVE Unico!! I saw all three movies and they're great! And US fans waiting for a DVD release don't have to wait anymore, because Discotek is gonna re-release them! Confirmation: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-feature-films
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 12:14   Link #3
tyciol
*Artist

That link says 2, so I guess they're only planning on re-releasing the stuff that already had english dubs. I guess that means the pilot is still open to subbers
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 11:19   Link #4
FireChick

I know. I was just too lazy to mention it. And yes, Discotek's releases are gonna include the Japanese versions too! I can't wait for them to be released so I can show them to friends who are beginning to show interest in anime!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote