AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-23, 02:59   Link #2181
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
By itself? It just means something like 'all encompassing' or 'In all of the worlds'.
No, I meant why did Inaba correct Yui? What's Yui's line supposed to mean if not "I'm the best"?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 03:06   Link #2182
Lantern
Unamused
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Flying in the Air
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No, I meant why did Inaba correct Yui? What's Yui's line supposed to mean if not "I'm the best"?
The meaning of Yui's line leans more towards the pride aspect than "I'm the best".

Think of these two lines:

I'm the ONE and ONLY!

vs.

I'm the world's NUMBER ONE!
Lantern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 03:09   Link #2183
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
To end the arc, yes? I had actually forgotten, thanks for the reminder. I assume the additional episodes MAL records are to be broadcast in a different manner? One more episode seems like it'd make for one hell of a premature ending, after all.
Next week would be the final episode of this arc yes.

The BD episodes are a different arc altogether.... And that's all I'm allow to say
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 03:14   Link #2184
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
You know, I've tended to either really love an episode of this series or be roundly irritated by it - but this was the first time I've basically been ambivalent. It was fine, but nothing really made any impact. I think Aoik and Yui have been so flat for 11 episodes that despite having wanted an episode that really gave them focus (especially Aoki) in the end it felt very mechanical to me.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 05:28   Link #2185
frivolity
My posts are frivolous
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 25
Come to think of it, I'm not sure why Taichi's favourite wrestler is the Undertaker. Considering his mindset of being partial to the one who can bear the most pain, I would have thought that Mankind/Mick Foley would be the best personification of that concept.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 05:34   Link #2186
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You know, I've tended to either really love an episode of this series or be roundly irritated by it - but this was the first time I've basically been ambivalent. It was fine, but nothing really made any impact. I think Aoik and Yui have been so flat for 11 episodes that despite having wanted an episode that really gave them focus (especially Aoki) in the end it felt very mechanical to me.
I agree with the thing about either loving or hating an episode, but I think this was definitely one of the best ones. Aoki doubting his feelings towards Yui and taking immediate action to resolve his inner conflict, Yui realizing that she would miss Aokis attention and - most importantly - Yui deciding to start fighting against her fears and therefore finally making a step towards Aoki.
This was quite decent character development, nicely build up over the last 11 episodes, and one of the episodes in which Kokoro Connect was able to show everything what makes it worthwhile.

Also, that 'new' ED is awesome.
__________________
sudolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 05:59   Link #2187
Blonto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It would have been much better if Aoki had just casually chit-chatted with Nana for a bit, saying he felt like he wanted to catch up with her for reasons of nostalgia, and maybe then he could have carefully let slip that he has a new girlfriend now that he really loves just to make sure he didn't get Nana's hopes up or anything like that. On the trip home, Aoki could then explain to Taichi "I had to see her again just to make sure that I really do love Yui more. Now after seeing Nana again, I know that for sure." And that much alone would make sense, both at a narrative level and at a "characters acting in a believable way" level.
I agree with this so much. I can see Aoki just making an impulsive decision like that, what I don't understand is how Nana reacted. Anime characters are always way too understanding regarding breakups or unexpected visits. Aoki could've chatted with her a bit and see that they've both gone their separate ways and that's she's simply not the girl in his life anymore. And then maybe chat a bit with Taichi so there's actually a point to him being there. The way they did it, honestly I felt like he was picking up plot resolution from an NPC.
I think it's obvious Taichi was only there because he's the MC. Can you honestly imagine that scene without him? I can't. Actually, have we seen a single scene with Aoki without Taichi? Aoki definitively lacks the kind of autonomy others (more precisely the girls) have.

I also agree that not showing Yui's fight was a bad idea. I don't see why they had to cut that out, aside from laziness. A bit of action would've been great to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, Iori brought this on herself. A couple episodes back she could have said to Inaba "No, Taichi and I are in a serious relationship now. I know that's hard on you, Inaban, but please respect that. I hope you can find love elsewhere.". But instead, Iori basically said "I look forward to competing with my great friend Inaba for my beloved Taichi's affections!"
To quote your line, since you put it so nicely:
Quote:
A meta-level narrative aim that causes the characters to do things that nobody would actually do in real life.
That's the only reason I can see for Iori's behavior. Because she has to act in accordance with a tired anime cliche. I can't for the life of me understand why she'd take a step back to accommodate Inaba. The writer pretty much forced her to bring that upon herself.
If you ask me, chances are like 90% she'll lose. Inaba is much more developed for the role of a girlfriend both emotionally and sexually, it's obvious the writer is doing that for a reason. And as it is, yes, it'd be better if Taichi just got with Inaba since she definitively seems to care more about dating him than Iori. Well, personally I don't care much about who gets with whom, as long as it's done slightly convincingly. I was leaning more towards Inaba, but she did some things in the last couple of episodes that made me like her less.
Honestly I like Yui and Aoki more, their relationship just seems more interesting. It has some conflict that's not just whiny drama. But maybe I'm just biased against love triangles
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 06:12   Link #2188
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
That's the only reason I can see for Iori's behavior. Because she has to act in accordance with a tired anime cliche. I can't for the life of me understand why she'd take a step back to accommodate Inaba. The writer pretty much forced her to bring that upon herself.
If you ask me, chances are like 90% she'll lose. Inaba is much more developed for the role of a girlfriend both emotionally and sexually, it's obvious the writer is doing that for a reason. And as it is, yes, it'd be better if Taichi just got with Inaba since she definitively seems to care more about dating him than Iori. Well, personally I don't care much about who gets with whom, as long as it's done slightly convincingly. I was leaning more towards Inaba, but she did some things in the last couple of episodes that made me like her less.
Honestly I like Yui and Aoki more, their relationship just seems more interesting. It has some conflict that's not in the whiny drama sort of way. But maybe I'm just biased against love triangles
We already had that discussion a few pages ago, but no, it's not "an tired anime cliche". Iori and Taichi weren't in any form of romantic relationship, she didn't take a step back or anything. The way Iori behaved was the only way a decent human being who's interested in pursuing her love interest, while at the same time not destroying any friendships, would behave.

Also I don't get how anyone could classify Inaba as the better suited candidate for a relationship, honestly I'm still asking myself if you didn't just mix up the names. Inaba is just as developed as Iori from a sexual stand, and while both have some emotional quirks, I don't think anyone would disagree that Inaba is far more screwed up.. That doesn't mean that a relationship with her would be impossible or anything, but in what world is she better developed for that role?

That being said, I don't think we're gonna get a proper conclusion at all.
__________________
sudolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 06:12   Link #2189
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
But maybe I'm just biased against love triangles
You've probably seen too many bad ones, like I have .

But occasionally, there's gems. Honey and Clover, Bokura ga Ita, True Tears and ef tale of memories to name a few. It's also incredibly hard to do romantic drama without some kind of rival, unless you want to avoid that genre altogether. I think Spice and Wolf is one of the few romance centric series that didn't dwell into a love triangle whatsoever and kept the same couple from the first episode of the anime to whatever it is up to in the novels.

On a related note I would say Kokoro Connect has an above-average one. It's one of the better ones I've seen but it does suffer from clumsy presentation and directions at times like the one from this episode and most particularly from that finale ep of the desire unleash arc.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 06:12   Link #2190
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
The problem with Iori goes back to the original premise of her problem: Who is the real Iori? As long as that particular problem is unresolved, whatever feelings Iori have for Taichi might, in the extreme case, not be real in the first place, but is based on the expectations she feels upon herself due to Taichi liking Iori in the first place. As we shall with her 14 year old self, Iori had unusually sharp senses as to a person's preference, and that could mean she had sensed Taichi's feelings for her and that in turn made her feel the expectations for her liking him back.

Basically, Iori's feelings are fundamentally based on potentially non-existent grounds, which leads back to the general weakness in Iori's dealings with Inaba when it comes to the supposed love triangle.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 06:34   Link #2191
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
The problem with Iori goes back to the original premise of her problem: Who is the real Iori? As long as that particular problem is unresolved, whatever feelings Iori have for Taichi might, in the extreme case, not be real in the first place, but is based on the expectations she feels upon herself due to Taichi liking Iori in the first place. As we shall with her 14 year old self, Iori had unusually sharp senses as to a person's preference, and that could mean she had sensed Taichi's feelings for her and that in turn made her feel the expectations for her liking him back.

Basically, Iori's feelings are fundamentally based on potentially non-existent grounds, which leads back to the general weakness in Iori's dealings with Inaba when it comes to the supposed love triangle.
This. Iori is just too confused to know for sure that she likes Taichi and as such is afraid to commit. It's understandable but it also makes her a very weak competitor to Inaba's newly found resolve.

That and I'm probably biased since I find the Taichi-Inaba pairing better.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 06:49   Link #2192
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nanairogaoka
Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Watched episode 12 today.

Spoiler:
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 07:21   Link #2193
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
The way they did it, honestly I felt like he was picking up plot resolution from an NPC.
Yeah, that's a very good way of putting it.


Quote:
I think it's obvious Taichi was only there because he's the MC. Can you honestly imagine that scene without him? I can't. Actually, have we seen a single scene with Aoki without Taichi? Aoki definitively lacks the kind of autonomy others (more precisely the girls) have.
Well, I see your point. But the anime narrative at least provided a good in-canon reason for Taichi to be there, so I'm Ok with it. That being said, it would be nice to have the odd Aoki scene where Taichi isn't on camera, yeah. I take it that you find Aoki to be too clear-cut as a Taichi wingman?


Quote:
That's the only reason I can see for Iori's behavior. Because she has to act in accordance with a tired anime cliche. I can't for the life of me understand why she'd take a step back to accommodate Inaba. The writer pretty much forced her to bring that upon herself.
Well, I definitely see what you're saying, and you could be right.

That being said, there's the old saying of "bros before hoes", and it's not hard to think that close female friends might have an equivalent to it. I think that Iori views Inaba as her dearest friend, so she just can't bring herself to firmly stand in the way of Inaba's romantic desires. Maybe if Iori and Taichi were already actively dating when Inaba's Taichi-crush came out it would be different, but as is I can kind of roll with what the narrative is doing here.

Don't get me wrong, though - It's not my first choice. I'd honestly much prefer a nice, heavy drama cat fight. This is one anime that I actually wish Mari Okada was writing.

But at least the anime has used the romance triangle for some really good comedy. I honestly find Taichi's extreme exasperation over it all to be hilarious. For some reason, I just find that KC nails this much better than most harem anime do.


Also, I think that Iori's decision to give Inaba a real shot like this is based in part on how Iori isn't all THAT emotionally investment in being with Taichi. I think that Taichi and Iori like the idea of them in a romance more than they have any actual passion for each other. In other words, I think that Iori just calmly thinks "Taichi is a nice guy that cares about me and I trust him and he's not bad-looking. He'd make a nice boyfriend for me, and my mom would probably agree. I'm not madly in love with him or anything like that, but he'd be a good, practical, romantic partner for me." And Taichi thinks much the same of Iori. There's worse reasons for two people to be together, but it also means the relationship lacks a certain spark and isn't going to stand up to challenges as well as, say, Kirito-Asuna over in SAO would.


IOW, I really don't get that sense of Taichi and Iori having deep passionate desire for one another. Taichi and Inaba have way more sexual chemistry between them than what Taichi and Iori have, and I just think that Inaba wants Taichi more than Iori does. Maybe Iori herself senses this, and hence is almost letting Inaba take Taichi away from her.


Quote:
If you ask me, chances are like 90% she'll lose.
Yeah, that figure sounds about right to me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sudolicious View Post
Also I don't get how anyone could classify Inaba as the better suited candidate for a relationship, honestly I'm still asking myself if you didn't just mix up the names. Inaba is just as developed as Iori from a sexual stand, and while both have some emotional quirks, I don't think anyone would disagree that Inaba is far more screwed up.. That doesn't mean that a relationship with her would be impossible or anything, but in what world is she better developed for that role?
If you're just looking for a good, stable, relaxing romantic relationship then sure, Iori's your girl.

But if you're looking for something truly hot, steamy, passionate, enchanting, and thrilling, then it's all Inaba, baby!

Now, which do you think your average teenage guy is more likely to go for?

If we were talking about three adults in their 30s here, then Iori's advantages would start to mean more, but for kids these ages, Inaban has a real edge imo.


Quote:
That being said, I don't think we're gonna get a proper conclusion at all.
Not in the anime, no.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 07:43   Link #2194
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Not in the anime, no.
You don't think the Love Triangle can be resolved in the Anime...?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 07:45   Link #2195
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You don't think the Love Triangle can be resolved in the Anime...?
I doubt it. There's not many episodes left, are there? I think it's 1 more TV episode and four internet-only episodes, if I'm not mistaken.

That's not a lot of time to clue up the love triangle and also let the Heartseed Bros. do their thing.

But hey, if the love triangle gets settled next episode, that's fine with me. I'm just not getting my hopes up, lol.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 08:13   Link #2196
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
So this arc will be resolved next episode? That's pretty meh. I think this episode is pretty decent but i think it's pretty rushed how aoki resolved his problem.

Honestly, i don't like the fact that they will sell the last four episodes. It really gives me a "somewhat DLC" vibe. But i do feel that they will extend the length of the bluray episodes which will probably do justice.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 08:20   Link #2197
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
So this arc will be resolved next episode? That's pretty meh. I think this episode is pretty decent but i think it's pretty rushed how aoki resolved his problem.

Not at all, personally it would have been painful to see them drag the issue for another episode.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 08:25   Link #2198
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Yeah, you got a reasonable point there.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 09:46   Link #2199
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
So glad the Yui/Aoki problem is solved. Now, onto the stuff I care about more: Iori and her everyday struggle~.
__________________
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 09:57   Link #2200
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
I'm glad Aoki finally received some characterization, but I'm afraid this is pretty much it for him. There doesn't seem to be much to do with his character. He's too "normal" and balanced compared to everybody else. His issue in this arc wasn't even all that interesting.

He should have been the one chosen by HeartSeed to oversee the whole thing. At least he'd have a clear-cut role to play this way.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.