AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2012-07-29, 09:19   Link #641
Arturia Polaris
Ponytail Sommelier

Sleeper hit of the season surely.

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 09:30   Link #642
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
Sleeper hit of the season surely.

Arturia
I would disagree since it got a reasonable amount of hype due to the LN fanbase and the fact it had the artist of K-on. The sleeper hit of the season is Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, which had basically close to no hype and has been getting very favourable receptions.

Regardless though, Kokoro Connect has been arguably the most improved series from its rather medicore first episode, and out of the three big SoLs that's airing right now (Kokoro Connect, Tari Tari and Hyouka), it's the one with the with most plot, substance and drama potential. Execution took a slight dive in this current episode though it wasn't anything too drastic.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-07-29 at 11:03.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 09:40   Link #643
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I would disagree since it got a reasonable amount of hype due to the LN fanbase and the fact it had the artist of K-on. The sleeper hit of the season is Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, which had basically close to no hype and has been getting very favourable receptions.

To me, Kokoro Connect was one of the four new shows I had bet big on at the start of the Summer season plus I have strong faith in Sliver Link, so it's no sleeper to me.

However, it certainly doesn't have much hype at all At the start of the season there were less than 10 pages in the thread. You'll be hard press to find anybody that read the LN, let alone read it till the latest volume... And having the artist of K-On is pretty much a double edged sword that tends to work against it's favor

I'll say this though, Kokoro Connect was ranked 12th is the recent [Kono light novel ga sugoi! 2012], and Inaba was 6th in the female characters rankings, and that is not easy to pull off.
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 09:47   Link #644
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
The sleeper hit of the season is Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, which had basically close to no hype and has been getting very favourable receptions.
Let's be serious now, the sleeper hit of the season is WIEEEEEN!!!

Oh wait, that wasn't serious at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
And, speaking of which, why didn't he say it out loud? Or better, why did he think that? His selfless freakness alone is not enough, so he clearly likes her (more than simply fapping over her ). So the more plausible case is that he knew that even if he likes her he is not in love with her (yet?), so he stopped because Inaba's words helped him to understand in that very moment that it would have been an error.
There's something going unsaid in Taichi's character that Inaba has picked up on. Saying you like someone as the reason for why you support them is, usually, not a bad thing unless, being the selfless freak that he is, his reason for saying it or believing it may not be genuine but a result of being a selfless freak. Something like tell a lie for long enough and you start to believe it. It all rolls right back to Inaba forcing the issue on whether or not he likes Iori... he does like her but the extent to which he does may not be as genuine as would appear on a first glance.

There's a lot of books =/= covers going on in this story and Taichi's attraction to Iori may well be one of the more hidden but serious ones along with Taichi's own White Knight persona.
Old 2012-07-29, 09:50   Link #645
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
However, it certainly doesn't have much hype at all At the start of the season there were less than 10 pages in the thread. You'll be hard press to find anybody that read the LN, let alone read it till the latest volume... And having the artist of K-On is pretty much a double edged sword that tends to work against it's favor

I'll say this though, Kokoro Connect was ranked 12th is the recent [Kono light novel ga sugoi! 2012], and Inaba was ranked 6th in the female characters poll.
Well to be fair, this summer season does look quite pale compared to the strong Spring Season we just had so 10 pages is still quite a bit. In comparison, it's competitor Tari Tari had like 7 or 8 before it started airing. Plus, Sword Art Online had more hype then all the other Summer series put together .

But screw hype. A series is good, when it's good . And Kokoro Connect has definitely exceeded my expectations .
Old 2012-07-29, 10:04   Link #646
novalysis

Inaba for Saimoe next year?
novalysis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 10:10   Link #647
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Well to be fair, this summer season does look quite pale compared to the strong Spring Season we just had so 10 pages is still quite a bit. In comparison, it's competitor Tari Tari had like 7 or 8 before it started airing. Plus, Sword Art Online had more hype then all the other Summer series put together .

But screw hype. A series is good, when it's good . And Kokoro Connect has definitely exceeded my expectations .
Its not quite fair to compare the much larger season of Spring to the much smaller season of Summer. There's a pretty big chunk of more shows in one season over the other (spring is roughly twice the size of summer), and we have to wait and see how this season ends before we start passing judgment.

Its fairer to compare Summer/Winter, Spring/Fall.
Old 2012-07-29, 10:11   Link #648
s07195
Distracted

So White Knight Persona (tm) is our official name for it now?

s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 10:21   Link #649
vansonbee
❤Nishino Tsukasa❤

Quote:

Regardless though, Kokoro Connect has been arguably the most improved series from its rather medicore first episode, and out of the three big SoLs that's airing right now (Kokoro Connect, Tari Tari and Hyouka), it's the one with the with most plot, substance and drama potential. Execution took a slight dive in this current episode though, not it wasn't anything too drastic.
Jinrui is a hit? I saw the first episode and it was a mind-fuck. But will give it another try with the second episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Inaba for Saimoe next year?
Only if she stop masturbating and use the real thing.
Old 2012-07-29, 10:29   Link #650
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Its not quite fair to compare the much larger season of Spring to the much smaller season of Summer. There's a pretty big chunk of more shows in one season over the other (spring is roughly twice the size of summer), and we have to wait and see how this season ends before we start passing judgment.

Its fairer to compare Summer/Winter, Spring/Fall.
True, but Kokoro Connect did at least get some recognition from anime fans due to the fact the LN exists and the K-on artist (be it a negative or positive effect ).

Regardless, this is about the time when people have decided to continue or drop series, like myself who tends to follow the 3 episode rule. I've already purged at least half my watching list .

In addition to what I said earlier, another surprise for Kokoro Connect is the director and studio. Shin Oonuma was about to go on my blacklist since he has failed to do anything noteworthy for me since his glory days in ef tale of memories/melodies back at Studio Shaft, whilst Silver Link has done bugger all to me - I disliked all their shows from Baka Test to Amnesia a few seasons ago.

Funny enough same thing has happened with Seiji Kishi, who's currently directing Jinrui right now despite doing atrocities like Angel Beats and Persona 4 (and a bunch of other medicore stuff like Seto no Hayanome and Kamisama Dolls).

Hence, summer 2012 seems to be the season where directors you have relegated to the "trash pile" both have churned out compelling series. Go figure
Old 2012-07-29, 10:34   Link #651
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeross View Post
I don't see why people feel that there was too much dialog and not enough things shown. I mean, how do you "show" that you feel empty inside, that you are not sure what you want, and that you have a identity crisis ?
*Points to Evangelion and Legend of Black Heaven* Like that! Or if you want to go to a more recent show, E7 Ao. If you want to go a more recent show that is less controversial, Space Bros (it's not identity crisis, but they address individual problems very well in that show).

And because people have been making comparisons to it, I did not like AnoHana. The characters were boring there too because they were defined by their drama and not as actual characters, which is why I'm not too keen on when Taichi gets focused, because his basic personality doesn't agree with me and I don't think drama is going to help that. I'm fully aware this is based on an on-going LN so the problems with the girls and whatnot can't be resolved this soon.

@Pocari_Sweat Hey, Seto No Hanayome was freaking hilarious. And Angel Beats would have ended up like that no matter who the director was. The entire story concept was doomed from the start.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2012-07-29 at 10:49. Reason: Wikipedia sucks
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 10:36   Link #652
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawfinder View Post
And because people have been making comparisons to it, I did not like AnoHana. The characters were boring there too because they were defined by their drama and not as actual characters, which is why I'm not too keen on when Taichi gets focused, because his basic personality doesn't agree with me and I don't think drama is going to help that. I'm fully aware this is a 20-something episode anime based on an on-going LN so the problems with the girls and whatnot can't be resolved this soon.
Wait this is 2 cours?

And yeh, I'm puzzled at the Anohana comparisons. If anything it seems more Visual-novel harem esque where a male lead solves the female lead's problems atm due to the Taichi focus. Anohana was a bunch of teenagers emoing themselves over a ghost girl .

I kid Anohana was fine.

@vansonbee: Check out the Jinrui thread or ANN in general. Raving all round (which I do my fair share ).
Old 2012-07-29, 10:48   Link #653
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Wait this is 2 cours?
Um, no actually. I looked it up on ANN and it's 12. Never use Wikipedia to look at an episode count.

Old 2012-07-29, 10:50   Link #654
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
True, but Kokoro Connect did at least get some recognition from anime fans due to the fact the LN exists and the K-on artist (be it a negative or positive effect ).
Likewise, I remember all the bad publicity Tari Tari got for Okada (and after a recent massacre (or two) by her, I'm glad she's gone). It goes both ways on what hype and early discussions on staff can do to a show.
Old 2012-07-29, 10:53   Link #655
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Likewise, I remember all the bad publicity Tari Tari got for Okada. It goes both ways on what hype and early discussions on staff can do to a show.
But Okada isn't writing Tari Tari at all (come to think of it, she did write AnoHana though) so I don't get it. I also don't know how the original LN is still on-going, but I guess we'll see soon enough. Just tell me there isn't anymore meta-dialogue in this show.

Old 2012-07-29, 10:54   Link #656
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
But Okada isn't writing Tari Tari at all (come to think of it, she did write AnoHana though) so I don't get it. I also don't know how the original LN is still on-going, but I guess we'll see soon enough. Just tell me there isn't anymore meta-dialogue in this show.
Okada was the original writer for Tari Tari, but that was changed somewhere along the way.
Old 2012-07-29, 10:55   Link #657
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Quote:
Likewise, I remember all the bad publicity Tari Tari got for Okada (and after a recent massacre (or two) by her, I'm glad she's gone). It goes both ways on what hype and early discussions on staff can do to a show.
Haha yep. I admit I was part of the crowd that was like going "Please no Mari Okada. Please no Mari Okada" and when it was announced to be no Mari Okada, most of us was going F*** yea! Still P.A. already has a reasonably good reputation (aside from Angel Beats, which is mixed), so that's probably where most of the hype came from.

But hey, we lucky this season! Both Tari Tari and Kokoro connect are great (at the 4 episode mark!) .

I will never be able to unsee the horror that was Hanasaku Iroha episode 3 .

Quote:
Okada was the original writer for Tari Tari, but that was changed somewhere along the way.
Spoiler for Offtopic:
Old 2012-07-29, 10:59   Link #658
Jmko
Normal Member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Wait this is 2 cours?
Quote:
Um, no actually. I looked it up on ANN and it's 12. Never use Wikipedia to look at an episode count.
According do BD relase, then it will most likely be 2 cours (4 BD, 4-6 episodes/BD).

BD 1: Hito random (Body swapping arc)
BD 2: Kizu random
BD 3: Kako random
BD 4: Michi random

Don't trust ANN for total episode count.
Old 2012-07-29, 11:02   Link #659
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
But hey, we lucky this season! Both Tari Tari and Kokoro connect are great (at the 4 episode mark!) .

I will never be able to unsee the horror that was Hanasaku Iroha episode 3 .
Somewhere between Lupin, the Rurouni remake, and EVOL (though this may be just as much Kawamori having become a complete hack as of recent), my like of Okada from AnoHana and the good parts of HanaIroha, died. It was just bad, man... bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmko View Post
According do BD relase, then it will most likely be 2 cours. (4 BD, 4-6 episodes/BD).

BD 1: Hito random (Body swapping arc)
BD 2: Kizu random
BD 3: Kako random
BD 4: Michi random

Don't trust ANN for total episode count.
I hope its 2 cour, there's a lot of material to cover and the show has promise to cover it well.
Old 2012-07-29, 11:20   Link #660
Jmko
Normal Member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I hope its 2 cour, there's a lot of material to cover and the show has promise to cover it well.
Seems like the anime will cover 4 volumes of the novel.

BD/DVDLN
Hito random
Kizu random
Kako random
Michi random
Hito random
Kizu random
Kako random
Michi random
Clip time
Nise random
Yume random