AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-25, 13:40   Link #1601
TheEroKing
Chaika Edition

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
For all those "Aoki is useless" people: It is likely something will happen in the next episode. Something pretty unconventional. After all, who will save Yui?
Aoki? who?

I think most people would rather be interested in this.

Would be quite something if that call was from Inaba. Incoming love triangle in the upcoming field trip!
Old 2012-08-25, 13:47   Link #1602
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

^ Nope. I absolutely hate the lesbian girl. She's not funny.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 14:12   Link #1603
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Most non-confrontational episode yet in episode 8.
Everyone trying to keep their distance. Guess it goes with the theme, arc 1 was more of a physical theme imo, while arc 2 dealing with actions is more dealing with the mental/social issues between humans.

Wonder how the climax is gonna turn out. Episode 9 or 10 should be where it ends?

Yui is totally absent this arc by confining herself in her room since the beginning. Talk about inactive roles this arc.
The argument between Aoki and Taichi was interesting. It makes sense that Aoki felt something about not being able to help anyone at all during the personality switch episodes. Really hope Aoki gets his time to shine sooner or later. Right now, Fushima and that other guy in the class is taking all his screentime away.

Doesn't help that Aoki isn't in the same class as Inaba, Iori or Taichi. Anyone remember what class Yui is in?

Has Aoki even gotten one unleashed desire at all this entire arc? Even the one all the way at the very beginning when he tried to help Yui when she was getting arrested was kind of meh. It might have been an unleased, but i can see him getting himself involved just the same way.
Yeah, I want to know who the hell is this Watase guy and why is he hogging all the screen-time!? Instead of giving Aoki more screen-time they're wasting on this person who's been what, in only two episodes? At least I finally got to see some personality from Aoki and he doesn't take insults lying down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawfinder View Post
This episode got me to finally like the show again due to Taichi getting called out on his bullshit (albeit in a stupid "best friends arguing" sort of way rather than something more subtle) and that speech with the teacher (even though he ruined it with a stupid comedy act at the end). Still not into the show as much as everyone else though. The comedy is painfully unfunny, I don't care what happens to most of the characters, and the dialogue still goes into that stupid "high schoolers know everything" sort of mode, although thankfully, it's not as Whedon-esque as it used to be.
And it took Aoki to finally point that out loud no less. Anyone else thinks he's just clown and/or idiot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
The show admits Aoki is useless and proceeds to do nothing about it...
Nah, Taichi is just a wishy washy delusional persona in believing he save everyone when he can't even help his friends from falling apart.

Kudos for Iori in stepping in trying to be the voice of reason. PV looks promising maybe Aokis time to shine is next episode maybe?
Old 2012-08-25, 14:17   Link #1604
Zeross

Again, episode too heavy, not enough comedy moments

i'm also interested in how much go know and his behaviour
Old 2012-08-25, 14:25   Link #1605
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
It looks like things are surely falling apart for the StuCs members and it was an interesting call on Aoki's part regarding Taichi's selfless freak demeanor, and Taichi calling him out for being useless, to say the least. Ignoring the issues and each other isn't really helping matters for the five of them considering that they aren't working together to come up with a solution to tackle this issue.

It was really nice advice that the class rep gave to Taichi to surely help him find the answers to face this dilemma and try to find his own resolution. I wonder who was calling her for love advice... a messenger of love, interesting! I'm liking the class rep more and more I see her, she's awesome.

I'd like to quote the final bits of the episode with the class rep and teacher (to an extent) with Dwarven Vow #108: Compassion benefits all man.

Overall great episode and can't wait for the next one.

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-08-25 at 17:14.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 14:29   Link #1606
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Did anyone else have the suspicion that "Go-sensei" might have been Heartseed, trying a different tack to shake things up a little bit? I don't think so now, but I definitely wondered for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah. That, or he switched while in the storage room.
Yeah, I'm with you both on that too.

I really enjoyed Kokoro Connect Episode 8. Character development did seem pretty smooth here.

My respect for Iori's character also went up in this episode. She's the only one of the five that's really handling this the way it should be handled, imo. The disengagement approach now favored by the rest of the club (to one degree or another) is clearly not for the best, and Yui's continued absence from school is really starting to verge on the extreme.

I'm also glad that the Class Rep and Go-Sensei more or less favored Iori's "Let's keep being friends and work these issues out" approach over the total conflict avoidance approach that Taichi and Inaba fell into this episode, and that Yui was already into.

Aoki's shouting match with Taichi showed that Aoki is self-aware of his own flaws, which is a potential step in the right direction for Aoki's character. But it's not enough on its own - Having a character admit to his/her own flaws in a kinda metacommentary way is only helpful if those flaws actually get fixed (or at least alleviated somewhat). So I do hope that Aoki actually does bring something constructive and productive to the table next episode.

That being said, Yui is no better developed than Aoki really.

I have to say that I don't think the divide in Kokoro Connect is gender-based, as some have argued (and that I myself thought at one point). I think the real divide is between the love triangle (Inaba, Taichi, and Iori) and the two outside of it. Those in the love triangle are getting plenty of focus and development while those outside of it now need to get their share, imo.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-08-25 at 14:42.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 14:38   Link #1607
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For me this ep felt a little flat, and that’s not a word I would’ve expected to use often when connected to Kokoro. It was partly a lack of hard drama, of course – that’s been such a component of most episodes that its absence here leaves a discernable void – but as much as anything it seemed to me that there was a bit of an edge missing as the show slipped into more traditional anime patterns.

There's certainly a divide in focus between those inside the love triangle and those out, but in watching this week it really strikes me just how caught up in traditional gender roles this series can be. The “Ah-Hah” moment was the conversation between Taichi and his little sister, specifically where she said “Boys are stronger than girls so they need to protect them” and Taichi agreed without a moment’s hesitation. Setting aside the fact that in the average case a teenage boy is going to be physically stronger than a teenage girl, I think there’s something deeper going on in the way Kokoro Connect portrays its characters – and indeed, in the way Rina-chan intended the statement. Taichi’s “white knight” impulse seems to have a strong gender component to it – or, at the very least, we’ve seen no evidence of any interest in his part in applying it towards helping Aoki or any other male. Indeed, Aoki and Taichi’s hissy-fit this week was a sort of tussle over the alpha male role. In their uninhibited states Taichi asserts that Aoki is “useless”, and Aoki retorts that Taichi is “freak” for helping others for selfish reasons, and perhaps even more tellingly for the sake of the story, a glory-hound.

There’s the matter of Yui’s repressed anger manifesting in physically assaulting boys – that might be interpreted as a response to a societal assumption that girls are weak – but as in many ways, she’s an oddball in this cast and remains very much outside the orbit of the others. As for Fujishima, she still isn't doing much for me. KC really isn't good at comedy, and her comedic moments tend to fall flat – and there’s a quality to her character that suggests a “writer’s best friend”, someone to plug in whenever the plot needs a little push. Yuri gag? Check. Friendly advice? Check. Smooth things over with the cops? Check. Whatever you need, Fujishima’s on the case.

The Heartseed/Go-sensei riddle might have been the best part of the ep for me. What makes this difficult to unravel is that his advice as a teacher could be seen as quite solid, though his goals would be the same as Heartseed’s – to stop everyone from feeling sorry for themselves on their own and get them back together. Even his last “So – did I sound like a teacher there?” could as easily be a quest for validation from an insecure man as a subtle jab from Heartseed. From a viewer’s standpoint it doesn’t really matter, because this episode did have way too much of the individual CRC members sitting with their head in the hands feeling sorry for themselves – and here my goals align with Heartseed’s, because that’s a lot less interesting than seeing them interact with each other.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2012-08-25 at 18:55.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 18:46   Link #1608
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

And so this is how they would extend Kizu Random to 5 episodes... =_=

God and Aiwass knows how glad I am to finally get this part over and done with... I'm not a true sadist after all >.>
Old 2012-08-25, 18:52   Link #1609
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

-Is helping others and doing something
-Gets heat because people think it's flawed

Taichi just can't catch a break can he?

Pretty good episode.
I like how it was ignored that Inaba was being a bitch

He believes.
Even though he’s tired and one leg’s in the coffin, he believes.
He believes in his right fist,
in the path that his weapon creates,
in the scene when his weapon brutally hits the enemy’s body,
that his victory will bring about a wonderful future.
Kamijou Touma’s actions are based on trust.-

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 19:03   Link #1610
HandofFate

I also wasn't sure if the Teacher was actually the Teacher, or HeartSeed pretending to be the teacher. Or if they switched sometime when they were both in the toolshed. Especially when his tone of voice changed to full advice mood.

I was actually wondering if he was gonna change in the middle and push Taichi into the room and trap him there for some reason or other.
Old 2012-08-25, 19:04   Link #1611
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Just wow. This arc is going downhill fast. Not bad downhill, but everything is snowballing and I think that we're coming for an epic conclusion.

Iori breaks my heart. She just tries to smile and put everything aside... yet she finds herself snubbed by the rest. She tries hard to get with the others because I see that she doesn't like feeling lonely...

She... Shattered my heart. Taichi doesn't deserve her. Aoki is a jerk, Inaban can go eat a flute the size of texas and Yui was MIA so...

Yes, I'm mad. I'm mad that the writer of the LN makes Iori suffer so much...

IORIIIII

T.T

Arty

EDIT: Also, If anyone wants to make a sig of Iori for me to use, feel free XD

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 19:20   Link #1612
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Forget about what I said regarding liking the episode. I saw that line Guardian Enzo mentioned (which I somehow missed the first time) and my goodwill towards the episode shattered . Goddammit Kokoro Connect, why is your dialogue so terrible?

Old 2012-08-25, 19:34   Link #1613
Marower

Great episode that once again brought up the dilemma in how you should act, or not act, on certain situations. It also brought up themes such as friendship, which might sound silly for viewers, but not for the characters themselves considering the situation they're in.

But... is it just me, or is the faces getting slightly derpier with each episode?

Quote:
that speech with the teacher (even though he ruined it with a stupid comedy act at the end)
Pretty sure it wasn't intended as a funny scene. It was more of a silly thing said by a teacher who doesn't feel like one. A way to brighten the mood after his serious talk. Which worked.

Marower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 19:52   Link #1614
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

^ I just can't stand the comedy or anything to do with the gay girl.

@Sumeragi No, there are clearly a bunch of moments in this anime where they're trying to get a laugh. Especially with Fujishima.

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2012-08-25 at 21:03.
Old 2012-08-25, 19:54   Link #1615
Sumeragi
Banned

The fact you're thinking there is comedy when there is none is in itself a flawed approach.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 20:54   Link #1616
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Meh episode with nothing much going on. Feels like a filler. This episode probably could have been combined with the previous one seeing that both are simply setting up things for the climax.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:18   Link #1617
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Forget about what I said regarding liking the episode. I saw that line Guardian Enzo mentioned (which I somehow missed the first time) and my goodwill towards the episode shattered . Goddammit Kokoro Connect, why is your dialogue so terrible?
Just FTR, I mostly liked the episode!
Old 2012-08-25, 22:21   Link #1618
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Just FTR, I mostly liked the episode!
I was mostly on tightropes because for everything it did right, it did something stupid. What it did right though kept me engaged, so I decided it was good. But the stupid conversation with the sister was just too much for me to handle. It's like that crying scene in Episode 11 of Anohana, the bunny girl scene in Sankarea's 11th episode, and the "masturbation" scenes in Episode 4 of this series. It was short, but it threw away the goodwill I had towards the episode.

Old 2012-08-25, 22:32   Link #1619
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Flawfinder, it must be suffering being you
Old 2012-08-25, 22:46   Link #1620
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
What it did right though kept me engaged, so I decided it was good. But the stupid conversation with the sister was just too much for me to handle.
A conversation where Taichi’s little-sister is asking about her older-brother’s health is stupid? Or do you meant when she gave Taichi an “advice” to his “love problem” by saying “Boys are stronger, so protect the girls!”? Where’s the stupid part in that?

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life