AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-26, 12:00   Link #1641
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You know, that's a very good, interesting, and perceptive point.

If I was in Go-Sensei's position, I'd probably think that this five member club were all on some very hard and dangerous drugs.
Yeah, I think Go-sensei is pretty perceptive. It’s just, his characteristics seems like Shikamaru Nara (from Naruto) and Houtaro Oreki (from Hyouka). Both have brilliant minds but their personality scream “I don’t wanna get involved in troublesome matters!”
Old 2012-08-26, 12:04   Link #1642
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yeah, I think Go-sensei is pretty perceptive. It’s just, his characteristics seems like Shikamaru Nara (from Naruto) and Houtaro Oreki (from Hyouka). Both have brilliant minds but their personality scream “I don’t wanna get involved in troublesome matters!”
Go-Sensei is an older Oreki that's mellowed out a lot due to a happy marriage with Chitanda. Heartseed is actually Oreki's older sister after she somehow gained supernatural powers. She's now using them to "help out" teenagers all over Japan by putting them through grueling trials like she used to do to her brother.
Old 2012-08-26, 12:40   Link #1643
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Go-Sensei is an older Oreki that's mellowed out a lot due to a happy marriage with Chitanda. Heartseed is actually Oreki's older sister after she somehow gained supernatural powers. She's now using them to "help out" teenagers all over Japan by putting them through grueling trials like she used to do to her brother.
It’s amazing how this season has produce some really notable master-trolls.
Old 2012-08-26, 13:01   Link #1644
Qilin
Romanticist

Huh. Sexism really isn't much of a flaw to poke at since it can just as easily be seen as reflection of Japanese society in general, but whatever.

Anyway, I think this episode really did it for me. I have a much better handle on Taichi's personality now. Basically, I think he is way too empathetic for his own good to the extent that he is able to vicariously experience the emotional pain of others around him. As such, it could be said that the sight of anyone's suffering is enough to inflict a great deal of emotional pain on his psyche. I should have figured this out earlier, but better late than never.

Now, looking at this arc so far, I'd say that the set-up that Mr. Author came up with this time was rather brilliant. I mean, like this, there shouldn't be many problems with melodrama in this arc since the premise allows the characters to pull the all stops with regards to drama while remaining perfectly believable.
Old 2012-08-26, 14:01   Link #1645
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Heh, I don't see Go-sensei as anything like Houtarou, who's trying to maintain a distance from society. I think Go-Go actually really wants to be more integrated and socially adept, but lacks the confidence to make it happen.
Old 2012-08-26, 14:34   Link #1646
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Heh, I don't see Go-sensei as anything like Houtarou, who's trying to maintain a distance from society. I think Go-Go actually really wants to be more integrated and socially adept, but lacks the confidence to make it happen.
Well, I wasn’t talking about Go-Sensei “maintaining a distance from society” like Houtaro, that’s for sure. Imo it’s his laziness and his tendency to avoid doing something too bothersome that’s like Shikamaru & Houtarou. FYI, Shikamaru does not withdraw himself from society. He wants/plans to be part of it, get a good (not troublesome) job, get married, have enough children and still has enough time to enjoy life. Nice isn't it?
Old 2012-08-26, 16:21   Link #1647
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post

Anyway, I think this episode really did it for me. I have a much better handle on Taichi's personality now. Basically, I think he is way too empathetic for his own good to the extent that he is able to vicariously experience the emotional pain of others around him. As such, it could be said that the sight of anyone's suffering is enough to inflict a great deal of emotional pain on his psyche. I should have figured this out earlier, but better late than never.
Even though we've had our differences of opinion on Taichi, I agree with you here. I think he's actually too sensitive. It makes it difficult for him to think 'big picture', and refrain from leaping almost mindlessly into action at the first sign/thought of trouble.

In my opinion, it's a "good flaw". It shows that Taichi is generally well-intentioned, but that he has to grapple with the ways he acts out on his intentions.
Old 2012-08-26, 17:22   Link #1648
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
You know, it's great that Fujishima and Go have noticed that something's seriously wrong with the club, but their reaction doesn't fit the situation. You have one girl who nearly drowned in a river a month ago, and sure everyone says it was an accident, but now another girl from the club was arrested for beating people up and refuses to come to class while the other club members are acting twitchy and having loud arguments in the classroom. My reaction wouldn't be, "Oh, you kooky kids and your love triangles." I'd be wondering if the club was turning into one of those really melodramatic shoujo manga like Life and Arisa.
Really good observation, the show is so focused on that altered reality of the club that I wasn't paying attention on how unfitting his behavior is. We haven't seen basically any adults/parents dealing with them on that two big events. That's surely one of the reasons why I keep feeling Go-sensei disconnected from the series (less Fujishima, until her new recent adviser role). He behaves like their altered reality was normality, when it's not. Probably that's even the reason why he gave that vibe of being HS in disguise during this episode.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 23:35   Link #1649
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Even though we've had our differences of opinion on Taichi, I agree with you here. I think he's actually too sensitive. It makes it difficult for him to think 'big picture', and refrain from leaping almost mindlessly into action at the first sign/thought of trouble.

In my opinion, it's a "good flaw". It shows that Taichi is generally well-intentioned, but that he has to grapple with the ways he acts out on his intentions.
Yeah. I think I can tolerate his character better now with this explanation in mind, and I'd agree with you there. It's definitely a "good flaw" with regards to society's upheld values.
Old 2012-08-27, 01:08   Link #1650
s07195
*DE*

So will the second ED also be only sold on iTunes and the LE version of the BD/DVD? This way of selling it is quite annoying. :/

Though I still don't know whether I'd get it, as the first ED doesn't seem to include the powerful intro to the song, so I can guess that the second ED won't either (even though it also sounds really good). D:
Old 2012-08-27, 01:16   Link #1651
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Though I still don't know whether I'd get it, as the first ED doesn't seem to include the powerful intro to the song, so I can guess that the second ED won't either (even though it also sounds really good). D:
"Powerful intro"? You mean the part of the song that played during the next episode preview? That is included as part of the full song.
(There is a Nicovideo of the full song, but I don't think I can post it here.)

http://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/kok...546217440?l=en
Old 2012-08-27, 05:31   Link #1652
Blonto

I like what they're trying to do with Taichi's character, but I think the way they're doing it doesn't quite work. I can only rely on what he and others say about him regarding his selfless freak personality, because the events themselves don't have a single instance when he crossed the line.

I think Inaba is a much better person than she thinks she is, but she's being held back by self-hate. Her lack of trust makes her think she's a bad person in general so she acts with that image in mind.

I'll take a bite of my hypothetical hat for the argument between Aoki and Taichi. I can't believe Taichi actually called him useless, I was sure no-one in the show would notice that. It was refreshing seeing Aoki get angry and jealous, rather than just laugh about it. It shows that there's some bitterness under his goofy personality.

I hate Fujishima. She's the obnoxious shipper character who constantly butts into other people's business. Guardian Enzo described well what bothers me about her. And dear God, Watase. The show was doing great without your type of character. Why do you even have a name?

The animation was pretty bad this episode. It's not like the characters are hard to draw, so I'm not sure why it had to go downhill like that.

As for the sexism, I don't think it's fair to judge the whole show based on a comment by an unimportant character. Besides, girls are weaker than guys. There should be no shame in admitting that.
The problem plaguing this show switched from being gender-based to being main-triangle based. It's a common problem in stories, not only in anime, where the story will never reach its full potential because it forces itself to be seen from the eyes of the protagonist. I really wish we could've seen all the characters develop and interact, but unfortunately since Taichi has to be there to fix everyone's problems that pretty much pulls the brakes on other characters from developing or helping each other when he isn't present, and for no good reason really.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 07:18   Link #1653
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If Himeko is like the glue that keeps everyone together and keeps them in line, Iori is the rift mender who tries to keep people together when they break apart.

Or at least she tries to. So far it looks like she's probably had the least number of outbreaks this arc compared to everyone else, or at the very least highly contained.

But it's clear that the cracks have run most of it's course. Taichi's white knight facade has more or less shattered under the weight of this round's curse and really, I would have thought he would be the last one sitting in the clubroom when everyone else has forced themselves away. The last one is Iori who's just trying her very damn best to bring everyone back together.

In as much as a lot of people not liking Fujishima, for all of her annoyances, her words to Taichi ring true, and in fact it is her assessment of Taichi's doubt that encapsulates why he has so little rationale to back up his selfless bravado. Clearly it's as Fusjishima says, he doesn't really know why and what. Why is he doing this and what is important in the end for him? I don't think he's ever really stopped to take the time and ask himself why he's doing it, and what is that most important thing he's protecting in the end. As he rushed to the room I doubt he's answered that question, I would say no one IRL would in such a short amount of time, but at least he's getting an idea of what he has to do first with himself.

And really that's where it should start. How can you ever save others if you can't even save yourself?

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2012-08-27 at 08:10. Reason: And this is what happens when you type this thinking of another show lol
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 07:22   Link #1654
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If Nagase is like the glue that keeps everyone together and keeps them in line, Iori is the rift mender who tries to keep people together when they break apart.
Errr... I assume the first character you mention is actually Himeko? Otherwise, your sentence makes little sense if you really consider Iori in both roles.
Old 2012-08-27, 09:01   Link #1655
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
In as much as a lot of people not liking Fujishima
What, even after this episode, people still don't like Fujishima!
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 09:33   Link #1656
HandofFate

What's with Fujishima's number conclusion for groups of 5 for "groups of love"

Shouldn't it be groups of 6 or 4? At least an even number, she ever been to a group date before?
Old 2012-08-27, 09:39   Link #1657
Sumeragi
Banned

You need to encourage competition.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 09:47   Link #1658
Chaos2Frozen
Retroactive Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
What, even after this episode, people still don't like Fujishima!
Coloured me surprised as well.

The world is filled with such strange people with different thinking
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 10:05   Link #1659
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
What's with Fujishima's number conclusion for groups of 5 for "groups of love"

Shouldn't it be groups of 6 or 4? At least an even number, she ever been to a group date before?
More combinations, more possibilities and like Sumeragi said, encourages competitions
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 11:56   Link #1660
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv155
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Coloured me surprised as well.

The world is filled with such strange people with different thinking
It isn't about being strange, but rather how you perceive plot and mood.
I personally think Fujishima breaks way too much the mood with her interventions to the point it becomes a bit jarring. Sure, Kokoro Connect isn't supposed to be a full blown drama/angst series, but really, Fujishima "comic" lesbian tendencies and pushy attitude isn't exactly appealing, not in a universal sense that is. So considering people not liking Fujishima as "strange" is quite displaced.

At times, ice breaker characters can help to relieve the mood, but that's really dependant how it is played. Go wasn't pushing that point so there isn't any apparent complain about him, while I can see why people don't like the way Fujishima was used so far. I personally would have liked her role more with less silly tone.

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life