AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-30, 21:16   Link #1
Fuyuno

Anime where the heroine is not the love interest of the hero

Thanks for the last suggestions and me and my wife had good time together watching anime. Now I want something quite different. I want to see if there is an anime where its heroine is not the romantic interest of the hero. I just saw a B-rated vampire movie recently and to my surprise its heroine happened to be hero's sister(which is few in Hollywood then and now) but also not his love interest. Unlike Yosuga no Sora and Aki-Sora where both shows had hero's sister as heroine and love interest at same time.

Actually I don't care if there is a family connection or not but I just want to see if there is an anime where both hero and heroine had their own love interests instead of with each other. Actually it sounds more like a challenge than a request.
Old 2011-10-30, 21:26   Link #2
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Actually there are lots of 12- kids anime had this trope. Take Pokemon for example, Misty obviously had no relationship with Ash but at same time she much like a big sister to him, maybe she's older. In fact many other kids show have the heroine is much a sister to hero than a girlfriend, this can be explained that kids below 12 shouldn't have romantic relationships yet. Yes its true this can get rarer on anime for older audiences but unless its something Aki-Sora like you mentioned.
Old 2011-10-30, 21:32   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

Hellsing counts I suppose... Alucard and Seras both sort of have love interests in the course of the anime... and their relationship is kind of father/daughter. I consider Seras to be the female lead over Integra.

I mean depending on how you define male/female leads and whether you include anime with a large cast... or anime that have more of a single male or female lead rather than equal focus... or what you define as a "lead" character... depending on whether or not you need there to be romance in the anime.... there could be just a few or many dozen examples. After listing Hellsing I became overwhelmed by the variables, lol.
Old 2011-10-30, 23:31   Link #4
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Depends whom you'd call the "heroine" of Angel Beats(assuming first girl rule that means Yurippe) and they aren't the love interest of our MC. Steins;Gate too, though depends whom define as the heroine .
Old 2011-10-30, 23:50   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I know this gonna sound old, but Dragon Ball. Goku and Bulma are the oldest girl-and-guy partners with no romantic relationship whatsoever.
Old 2011-10-31, 08:58   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

An excellent example of what you're looking for appears in Monster. The hero is a Japanese neurosurgeon in his thirties; the heroine a young woman of about twenty. While Nina probably has at least a crush on Dr. Tenma, her feelings aren't reciprocated. The two team up in pursuit of the villain from time to time and pursue their own investigations individually as well.

Scrapped Princess stars a brother and two sisters, one of whom is targeted for death and is being protected by her older siblings.

In Claymore the heroine becomes involved with a teen-aged boy. While he develops a crush on Clare, she's much less interested in having a relationship with him. Calling him a "hero" overstates his role, however.

There are shows where one character becomes responsible for the protection of an opposite-sex child like Balsa and Chagum in Seirei no Moribito, Daikichi and Rin in Usagi Drop, Shinkarou and Murasaki in Kure-nai, or Nijuu Mensou and Chizuko in Nijuu Mensou no Musume.

House of Five Leaves has a mix of adult men and women, none of whom display a current romantic relationship, though there may have been sparks in a couple of cases before the anime begins.

The leads in Yakushiji Ryoko maintain a professional relationship despite occasional "forward" behavior on Ryoko's part. Her male subordinate is smart enough to avoid these advances.
Old 2011-10-31, 15:13   Link #7
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There are shows where one character becomes responsible for the protection of an opposite-sex child like Balsa and Chagum in Seirei no Moribito, Daikichi and Rin in Usagi Drop, .
I failed to think of those for some reason, but they both definitely fit, seconding them.
Old 2011-10-31, 15:18   Link #8
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Daikichi and Rin in Usagi Drop
The manga development makes this suggestion kind of ironic... but it works, lol.
Old 2011-10-31, 15:33   Link #9
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

I'd say Birdy The Mighty: Decode is a good one. The hero and heroine simply remain close friends and there's never any hint of going further than that.
Old 2011-10-31, 17:07   Link #10
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ore no Imouto; it plays around with this concept.

At least I hope so.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-01, 14:59   Link #11
AnimeFangirl

Guin Saga, if Guin counts as the hero and Rinda counts as the heroine. She admires and respects him, but it's not love by any means.
Old 2011-11-02, 23:47   Link #12
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Scrapped Princess stars a brother and two sisters, one of whom is targeted for death and is being protected by her older siblings.
I have to second this recommendation. Amazing character relations with absolutely zero sexual tension. A strong rarity in anime.
Old 2011-11-03, 21:16   Link #13
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Dragon Ball (not DragonBallZ) is a good suggestion.

Bunny Drop would be another.

Angel Beats.

Oh... I just thought of a weird case of this:

The World God Only Knows.

The main male lead and the main female lead are not related and not romantically involved, despite the show being a light hearted parody of dating/romance anime (he pursues the girls, and she assists him in his antics). She took on the identity of his younger sister to make things easier, but it seems they've forgotten it's an assumed identity and they generally act like siblings.

Then there are a bunch of shows that simply leave the relationship undefined. So they are not canonically love interests, but neither are the canonically non-love interests.

Soul Eater is probably the one that sticks out to me. All three of the main professional partnerships are cross-gender but they don't really have romantic elements- except maybe Soul and Maka... and it's hard to tell with them because Maka is so emotionally damaged by her parents divorce that her actions could just as easily be a fear of a close friendship as much as romantic awkwardness.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-11-04, 02:45   Link #14
barcode120x
NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
I have to second this recommendation. Amazing character relations with absolutely zero sexual tension. A strong rarity in anime.
Thirding! Haven't seen that series in years, I think I will need to watch it again. But yeah, I think that definitely fits your request.

I guess since Scrapped Princess is good, I guess I'd also second Ore no Imouto.
Old 2011-11-04, 03:15   Link #15
Feiticeira
You're kidding

Interesting thread, I really racked my brain to think of something and Samurai Champloo I'm pretty sure has one female and two male leads with no sexual tension between the leads.
Closed Thread