AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-07-05, 02:03   Link #1
TamaNeko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I just came back from my first time at a casino...

How many of you have played in casinos...I hope there are enough people here over 21...? I just came back from my first time at one, and that was perhaps the WORST place I've ever been. Not because it was dirty and such, but I have never seen a place where people could be suckered in so badly. How the **** does anyone delude themselves enough to waste hundreds and thousands of dollars on those ******** slot machines. I saw this so many times there and it was painful to watch.

...alright, maybe it was a BIT fun in a sadistic, evil sort of way.

Have YOU ever won anything there? I wasted $60 there. My last games was when I said to myself that I swore, if I got at least some of my money back, I would NEVER ever go back there again. And voila - I won $40. I did break my promise when I found a 1 cent slot machine that had enough credit for one last game, but I didn't win there. I feel more awful for breaking my promise to myself than losing that money. But the temptation to play again was so great...my God, it's even worst than trying to hold off to NOT masturbating for a whole week! **** that ****...

If you guys ever go to a casino, please listen to my advice - GO THERE AND PLAY. This might sound counter-productive, but I'm serious, go there and play, BUT bring ONLY a set amount of cash that you're just as willing to throw away and give to a hobo. Don't bring any ATM or credit cards. In fact, just bring cash and don't bring your wallet. Then play. And watch all that money burn away. Then look around you and see that there are other people who are so sucked into it(especially the old folks, you'll notice a lot of them...sad to think how many of them are burning away a lifetimes worth of savings), wasting hundreds and even thousands of dollars on one stupid slot machine. Then NEVER ever set foot in a casino again because that's how evil those places are.
TamaNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 02:16   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
The only game that's even remotely fair in a casino is blackjack. Even then to really come out ahead, you'd have to be an expert at counting cards. Of course casinos consider card counting cheating, even though it's just being observent, keeping track of the cards that have been played and betting accordingly. Slot machines are pretty much the worst game in the casino, but they have flashing lights so their popular.

It's better to not bother with casinos. Spend the money on a new video game or anime dvd instead. If you insist on just throwing your money away, give it to me. I'll make better use of it than some casino.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 02:25   Link #3
Shini_GamI
YuI
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia, Sydney
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Shini_GamI
thats why gambling are bad for everyone..... hopefully i wont be going into these places... :P
Shini_GamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 02:33   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
The only game that's even remotely fair in a casino is blackjack. Even then to really come out ahead, you'd have to be an expert at counting cards. Of course casinos consider card counting cheating, even though it's just being observent, keeping track of the cards that have been played and betting accordingly.
I've actually heard that in Atlantic City the casinos pass around lists of known card counters to ban from the Blackjack tables. I just find it astonishing that people can be banned for the crime of using their minds. It isn't even as though they use their blackberries to keep track of cards. I could imagine if they were considered cheaters for using mechanical assistance, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with having a good memory and mathematical ability.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 02:33   Link #5
Shay
Monarch Programmer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Age: 34
I go like once a month to play poker. And that is all I play, at least when playing poker you're just playing against other people, and not the house.
__________________
Current Anime - Attack on Titan
Current Manga - Naruto
Current Book - Waiting for War of the Roses
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 06:32   Link #6
raphaŽl
trainee archangel
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: actually quite close to Jim Morrison
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to raphaŽl Send a message via Skype™ to raphaŽl
I won about 40 euros the only time I went to a casino. I was quite proud and promised myself I'd never lose those. Because that's what casinos are all about.
40 euros ain't much, but they're always expected to come back one day.

Well, I can tell you they won't.
__________________
YOU USED TO BE ALRIGHT, WHAT HAPPENED?
and my literary blog, in french :
www.pourlamaingauche.net
raphaŽl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 07:36   Link #7
spirits having flown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 34
My first trip to the casino, I won the equivalent of US$2000 in a slot machine. I only spent around US$10 worth of coins.

Really, I was just lucky during that time.
spirits having flown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 07:54   Link #8
Silpelit7
Suiseiseki's Lawyer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fraternity HQ
Right, it's completely based on luck... and probability. I've been on a riverboat once for my friend's 21st birthday. I had a lot of fun watching people lose money, and I had fun losing some of my own. I was up $20 at one time but I got greedy and lost it all. Only spend around $100usd - the rest was for the strip club!
Silpelit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 13:35   Link #9
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Found myself in Laughlin Nevada once a couple of years ago. Won a few bucks on nickel slots and that was it.
__________________
I'm not going to neg rep you in return. Leave your name.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 13:51   Link #10
Furudanuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: State of denial
Age: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
The only game that's even remotely fair in a casino is blackjack. Even then to really come out ahead, you'd have to be an expert at counting cards.
You're right - blackjack is one of the games where the edge for the house is lowest, but you had best be able to count cards or at the bare minimum know and be willing to stick with the mathematically correct play for each hand. Other games where the house has a low edge are baccarat, craps (most bets on the layout are only for suckers, stick to the pass/don't pass or come/don't come bets each with appropriate odds), and SOME video poker games (you have to know which ones and exactly how to play them properly). But in every single case the key factor is knowledge and experience with the game. Otherwise the house edge goes up considerably.

Slot machines are popular for many reasons. The amount of money you need to start playing is small - table games normally require a minimum bet of at least $5.00 and it is usually more than that. You don't really have to know any rules in order to play and there are no formulas or tables to memorize. Unlike the table games (which can be very intimidating for a neophyte) you do not have to interact with a dealer or other players, and no one is going to glare or chastise you if you do something wrong. You can play at your own pace. But one thing slot players need to know is that in almost every instance the lower the denomination of the machine, the worse the payout percentage will be over the long term. So, dollar machines will return more than quarter machines, which will return more than nickel machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I've actually heard that in Atlantic City the casinos pass around lists of known card counters to ban from the Blackjack tables. I just find it astonishing that people can be banned for the crime of using their minds. It isn't even as though they use their blackberries to keep track of cards. I could imagine if they were considered cheaters for using mechanical assistance, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with having a good memory and mathematical ability.
It isn't just in Atlantic City. Every casino I am familiar with will ban known card counters. I am not a lawyer, but as I understand it casinos can do this - and it has been unsuccessfully challenged in court repeatedly - because they are considered to be a type of private club and can therefore refuse to admit anyone so long as no civil rights laws are violated.


In summary - The most important thing though, is to have the proper attitude. Someone who goes into a casino thinking "I have to win, I don't dare lose" has already lost, and is probably can't afford to be gambling with that money in the first place. When I gamble, I do so strictly for entertainment. I go in with a set amount of cash, and I fully expect to lose every penny. It is just like going to see a show, attending a concert, or buying anime: I am paying to be entertained. Any winnings are therefore a pleasant surprise.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 14:29   Link #11
raphaŽl
trainee archangel
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: actually quite close to Jim Morrison
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to raphaŽl Send a message via Skype™ to raphaŽl
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirits having flown
My first trip to the casino, I won the equivalent of US$2000 in a slot machine. I only spent around US$10 worth of coins.

Really, I was just lucky during that time.
Proofs, I want proofs!

Seriously, what did you do with the money? You lost it the day after?
__________________
YOU USED TO BE ALRIGHT, WHAT HAPPENED?
and my literary blog, in french :
www.pourlamaingauche.net
raphaŽl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 14:38   Link #12
Shay
Monarch Programmer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki

In summary - The most important thing though, is to have the proper attitude. Someone who goes into a casino thinking "I have to win, I don't dare lose" has already lost, and is probably can't afford to be gambling with that money in the first place. When I gamble, I do so strictly for entertainment. I go in with a set amount of cash, and I fully expect to lose every penny. It is just like going to see a show, attending a concert, or buying anime: I am paying to be entertained. Any winnings are therefore a pleasant surprise.
So true.

I always have a good crack when I'm at my local casino. It is literally, packed to the rafters with Chinese people and I swear they are the funniest people on earth when it comes to gambling. Most of them are owners or workers of various restaurants in Liverpool. (Big Spenders) They are hilarious, more than once, I've heard some of them say "Chicken fried rice I feel nice" as they throw dice, or as a dealer hands them their cards. Even if you’re losing you can’t help but laugh sometimes.

All that said, in a game of Texas hold’em it is quite the contrary! Some of the best players in the whole casino are Chinese. There is one guy who looks like the old sourcerer* from Big Trouble In Little China! He has won first prize more times than I care to remember. You just can't read the little rogue!

The best I ever came is 5th, which earned me £260. My Gran also plays. She is a card-shark, she has knocked me out a good few times...

Yeah, so all in all, it can be a fun place. Free cheese-toasties, complimentary drinks, a wide variety of characters to converse with, and the potential hope of leaving as one wealthy mofo.

However, people. Texas hold’em is bad! I am addicted to many online poker sites and I spend vast amounts of money in the shortest of times. I have easily blown over £15,000 in just a few months on those sites…

Not Good.
__________________
Current Anime - Attack on Titan
Current Manga - Naruto
Current Book - Waiting for War of the Roses
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 18:07   Link #13
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
I just went to the casino for the first time as well, I was terribly pleased, as they carded me (my new best friend!!!) hehe
I tried roulette, my hostess gave me some money, which I promptly lost, but we had a lot of giggles over it, and she'd won twice that so far anyway, so we walked away having broken even.

It was disturbing to see the zombies at the slot machines, ash-piles a mile high, just hitting the button over and over. I believe in indulgence, not complulsion, so doing it once or twice for fun cool, but the addiction factor is scary when you see these people wasting away.

Needless to say I was not impressed but wanted to say hey! I went to Tahoe!

__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-05, 23:41   Link #14
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaNeko
How many of you have played in casinos...I hope there are enough people here over 21...? I just came back from my first time at one, and that was perhaps the WORST place I've ever been. Not because it was dirty and such, but I have never seen a place where people could be suckered in so badly. How the **** does anyone delude themselves enough to waste hundreds and thousands of dollars on those ******** slot machines. I saw this so many times there and it was painful to watch.

...alright, maybe it was a BIT fun in a sadistic, evil sort of way.

Have YOU ever won anything there? I wasted $60 there. My last games was when I said to myself that I swore, if I got at least some of my money back, I would NEVER ever go back there again. And voila - I won $40. I did break my promise when I found a 1 cent slot machine that had enough credit for one last game, but I didn't win there. I feel more awful for breaking my promise to myself than losing that money. But the temptation to play again was so great...my God, it's even worst than trying to hold off to NOT masturbating for a whole week! **** that ****...

If you guys ever go to a casino, please listen to my advice - GO THERE AND PLAY. This might sound counter-productive, but I'm serious, go there and play, BUT bring ONLY a set amount of cash that you're just as willing to throw away and give to a hobo. Don't bring any ATM or credit cards. In fact, just bring cash and don't bring your wallet. Then play. And watch all that money burn away. Then look around you and see that there are other people who are so sucked into it(especially the old folks, you'll notice a lot of them...sad to think how many of them are burning away a lifetimes worth of savings), wasting hundreds and even thousands of dollars on one stupid slot machine. Then NEVER ever set foot in a casino again because that's how evil those places are.
more importantly , did you win more than you lost???

I've never been to a casion so i'm not familiar with them, though i do watch the discovery channel quite a bit. And like Kamui4356 said, blackjack is really the fair one. As the price of the game goes up the chances of winning drops like rock in water, but the end result if possibly you can win is tremendous. (not that much)
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-06, 12:23   Link #15
steelbound
Yuki-ism
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
I've been to a casino twice, both times to Las Vegas. Both times because my college program (engineering) sponsored trips out there. The first year I came out $100 up then the second year I ended about $60 down. There were a few people that played the slots at night (1-5AM) and they all seemed to have good luck. I remember one guy actually won $9000 playing during those hours.

Going to Vegas, there was alot to do so I never felt the need to gamble and found it nice to go on vacation and have anything you want to do within short walking distances.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=40337&dateline=119172  6379
steelbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 08:12   Link #16
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
There are no big casinoes in Finland, which is probably good when remembering those gambing-addicted "zombies." I have never bet more than 5 euros, so no losses either. But when you watch one of those poker-nights on Eurosport, you can actually see some people that have made a fortune in gambling. Very rare, those, since the casinoes do everything they can to ensure that the house wins. Every time.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 18:57   Link #17
Thaimex
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Honolulu
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to Thaimex
Gambling is illegal in Hawaii so no Casinos for me.
Thaimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 20:55   Link #18
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 34
How do casinos make money from poker?
Ive never played it in a casino yet, only playing with friends from time to time.
The winner takes all... and the dealer doesnt play, so he cant win.
Do you pay the casino a fee to let you play?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 22:48   Link #19
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC
Bah, slot machines are for tourists and retired folk. If you wanna make some money and have fun while doing it, play craps. No other casino game have better odds than craps.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 00:09   Link #20
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 40
I've been in casinos literally thousands of times (I grew up in Nevada). And there is no game where the house is involved and the odds are remotely fair. That's not how they stay in business. I went to the University of Nevada Reno on a scholarship program for an Accounting program. My first summer I was part of an intern program at one of the casinos (at the time the newly-opened Silver Legacy, my second summer was at the Kit Kat Ranch, but only the over-18s get that story ) - you cannot imagine the amount of money that flows through a casino on a nightly basis - and they have ironclad controls in place over the money on the floor and in the cages. Though I only really know about those from my grandfather, who worked in one of the cages. Accountants don't see money, just spreadsheets and ledgers. One of the many reasons I gave up on Accounting after two years.

When my wife came to Nevada for the first time, I gave her pretty close to Furudanuki's advice: Come up with an amount that you have no problem losing. Take it in cash. Leave your ATM card in the hotel whenever you gamble. Expect to lose every penny of it and enjoy yourself. I've seen people get caught in the vicious cycle where they keep playing thinking that the odds are bound to turn next time and they'll hit a big payoff, but that's the illusion of probabilities. If I flip a coin and it lands heads one hundred times in a row, the chance that I flip it on the 101st try and it lands heads is still 50%. But people think that the chance is lower (because it landed heads 100 times in a row).

On the positive side, casinos have lots of good restaurants. And they're cheap too (because they operate at a lower profit margin in order to draw in customers). I also have fond memories of the casino arcades, which are usually well stocked with the latest and greatest games in order to occupy munchkins while their parents are losing money.

Of course, in Nevada you don't actually have to go to a casino to gamble either ... there are slot machines and video poker machines set up in the grocery stores and restaurants.

God I miss home.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.