AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-14, 04:56   Link #1
Joloven

Question I'm looking for a good file integrity checker, know any?

I was re-watching some older Naruto episodes with a friend and I noticed that there was some errors in eps where there wasn't the first time I saw them, for example it'd hit a point in the episode then it'd restart to the beginning, does anyone know any good file problem diagnosing and fixing tools for this? I'de rather it automatically skip a few frames than restart.

Thanks in advance.
Joloven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 05:56   Link #2
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Well you don't tell me what platform or what software you use to play the videos so I can help there. Some players cope better that others with damaged files -- but in most cases you're better off getting a complete and valid file (see below) rather than trying to watch a damaged version.

As far as the file checking goes, BitTorrent will do it for you -- automatically. If you get the corresponding torrent file and resume the download any parts of the file that are damaged or missing will be re-downloaded until the file is correct. Then it won't have playback problems (if it does you've got codec issues).

If you want a stand-alone file "checker" (I'm going to assume you use windows here) I would suggest trying something like fsum. That will let you check the CRC values often provided with each video to allow you to check the integrity. Although I actually think it is easier in most cases to just resume the download using Bit Torrent.
Old 2004-04-14, 15:12   Link #3
MasafumiGotoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joloven
I was re-watching some older Naruto episodes with a friend and I noticed that there was some errors in eps where there wasn't the first time I saw them, for example it'd hit a point in the episode then it'd restart to the beginning, does anyone know any good file problem diagnosing and fixing tools for this? I'de rather it automatically skip a few frames than restart.

Thanks in advance.
I had that problem before. Just don't download episodes from Kazaa(what I am assuming) or any other P2P program.Thats what I used to do and Episodes would be missing a hash(but still viewable) that just mess up certain parts of the anime whether it was sound or video. On Divx it would just give you a error and it would stop it. On WMP with ffdshow it will continue on where it left off after the error.

If you also want to know the cause I guess its pretty self explanitory. Unless you want a detailed explanation but I dont want to type!
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote