AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-12, 19:01   Link #1
Baconharvester

Disk Cleanup problem and etc.

I have a total of three questions and would appreciate any aid you can give me

1. When I go to the control panel and click on "free up space on your hard disk" to open up disk cleanup, the thing won't finish. It stays on "Scanning: Compressing Old Files" I left the computer on for 9 hours, and the bar for compressing old files was in the same location. I have used up 72 gigs out of my 74 gigs by the way. Could that by the reason why it takes so long to compress my old files?

2. I'm looking for a cd burner that has good burning speed, is easy to use, and has nice options. It'd be great if you could tell me the price and how accessable it is to obtain.

3. I'm also looking for a good, free, and easy to use virus scanner other than mcafee.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Baconharvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 20:07   Link #2
MasafumiGotoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconharvester
I have a total of three questions and would appreciate any aid you can give me

1. When I go to the control panel and click on "free up space on your hard disk" to open up disk cleanup, the thing won't finish. It stays on "Scanning: Compressing Old Files" I left the computer on for 9 hours, and the bar for compressing old files was in the same location. I have used up 72 gigs out of my 74 gigs by the way. Could that by the reason why it takes so long to compress my old files?

2. I'm looking for a cd burner that has good burning speed, is easy to use, and has nice options. It'd be great if you could tell me the price and how accessable it is to obtain.

3. I'm also looking for a good, free, and easy to use virus scanner other than mcafee.

Thanks for all the help!!!
1. Its frozen. Just end task it and start over. No need to put it on for 9 hours.

2. I am currently using a Memerex cd burner(52/32/52) which is about 50 bucks and also gives you a free CD to help you get started. But if your a real CD techie buy a Plextor burner. I heard they are one of the best burners(expensive too).

3. A nice free Anti Virus that works as good as a commercial Anti Virus is AVG anti virus. This was also featured on TechTv and i currently use it. It uses less system resources than Norton and McAfee. It is also very simple yet effective(design is simple but the anti virus is powerful) Search it on google or Yahoo! Dont forget to disable the system start up scans on its Schedule or youll face a system scan every time you boot your comp. Hope this helps.
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 22:13   Link #3
Baconharvester

I restarted scan disk three times though, and it has never finished compressing old files.
Old 2004-04-12, 23:19   Link #4
MasafumiGotoh

If you see a change in the Mbs in the compressed files then its working but you need to end task a lil more. This is why I despise the Windows OS for its holes and buggyness and its also why i favor Linux. But seeing that most dont use Linux(i dont) and the Windows OS is so easy to operate it has won the popularity of the people as a(how should you say) primary OS to use.

So say if the Compressed files were being cleaned up. IT says you havw 1000mb. You use the DiskCleanup, Let it sit for a awhile it freezes, you end task it, start disk clean up again and it states that theres 500 Mb left that means the diskcleanup is working fine. Just do that acouple more times. and compressed files will be cleaned up. If not you can buy Norton System Works and try thier disk cleaning utility. It will however cost you a hefty amount of money but it wont freeze on you constantly.
Old 2004-04-13, 00:24   Link #5
Baconharvester

Thanks for the help, I'll try it out.

Could you suggest some cd or cd/dvd burners for me by the way? I have no idea what any of the specs mean.

Last edited by Baconharvester; 2004-04-13 at 03:03.
Old 2004-04-13, 20:13   Link #6
MasafumiGotoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconharvester
Thanks for the help, I'll try it out.

Could you suggest some cd or cd/dvd burners for me by the way? I have no idea what any of the specs mean.
I did various burning with my Memerex CD burner. They just joined the hardware industry recently and I can find no model numbers on the box.

So its a 52x write 32 x rewrite and a 52x read CD burner.

I tested the crappiest of CDs(ones with no labels on the top) and it works great. Nice for playing my backup copy of Resident Evil 3 Nemesis on my PS. I also tested memerex cds cause i had em when i had my last burner.

Now the speeds look very very fast. But please I insist that you dont burn any CDs at its maximum speed for any burner. The fact is i had a Sony burner that died when i burned a crap load of anime at its maximum speed. I only burn at 16x and that guarentee that the CD wont melt(it wont melt on a high speed but it heats up pretty quickly).

Now as I said earlier on the post you can try a Plextor burner. The lowest price on those are 79.99 and its also the same speed as the memorex. I also heard they are really reliable. If you ever find a CD rom forum you might want to ask the CD writing guru.

Memorex 52/32/52. 50 bucks. I use it. I think its pretty much reliable as of now.
www.Memorex.com

Plextor 52/32/52 79 - 100 bucks. I wanted one but i was on a budget. Wondering why its 79 to 100 bucks? Well they have different versions of CD burners with stuff one has and another that doesnt. http://www.plextor.com/english/index.html
Thats thier website. You can also learn more about thier burners.

Now for DVD burners. I want one. I think ill pass for now until they are cheap as hell and as reliable as present CD writers. I also heard that the new Dual Layer DVD burners are coming. I wanna see if those survive in the next couple of years. And can they compete with the DVD burners now.