AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-30, 09:18   Link #1581
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Images
Modern Day Riku-chan
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
hhnngggggggggggg
__________________
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 08:58   Link #1582
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Just saw someone post this on the "Hagure Yuusha" thread, bold emphasis mine --

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Too bad it fell completely below expectations...


21,176 *2 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II [BD]: 2012/09/21
*9,196 *1 Dog Days' [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*8,760 *2 Tari Tari [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*7,728 *1 Yuru Yuri♪♪ [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
*6,422 *1 Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/28
*4,876 *1 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
*4,852 *2 Oda Nobuna no Yabou [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*4,221 *1 Joshiraku [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*3,536 *1 Hakuouki Reimeiroku [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
- - - - - - - - - - - Manabi Line (2,899) - - - - - - - - - - -
*2,228 *1 Arcana Familia [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*1,900 *1 Moyashimon Returns [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*1,888 *1 Rinne no Lagrange season 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/21
*1,370 *1 Binbougami ga! [DVD-BOX+BD]: 2012/09/21 *DVD-BOX available 2013-01-29
*1,338 *1 Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Utakoi. [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*1,208 *1 Campione! [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
*1,007 *1 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
**,747 *1 Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
**,669 *1 Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
**,*** *0 Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai. [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/26
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 09:10   Link #1583
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Just saw someone post this on the "Hagure Yuusha" thread, bold emphasis mine --
Hmm, but Oda Nobuna sales still quite good compared to other anticipated summer anime (Hagure Yuusha, Campione, and Dakara Boku, who can only eat dirt because of their stupidity in executing the original source).
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 10:11   Link #1584
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
That, or the fact that Nobuna actually has a decent story to tell and doesn't rely on cheap ecchi scenes.

Good production quality goes a long way as well.

In terms of existing fanbase... I think it has a slight advantage as well.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 11:27   Link #1585
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That, or the fact that Nobuna actually has a decent story to tell and doesn't rely on cheap ecchi scenes.

Good production quality goes a long way as well.

In terms of existing fanbase... I think it has a slight advantage as well.
^ This. I'm actually very happy that it has done as well as it seems to have. Considering they stayed relatively true to the LNs (it seems), had good pacing, great artwork (some of the most beautiful backgrounds and animation this season I think) I'm very happy people seem to appreciate it..

That being said, I am utterly shocked how well Dog Days S2 has done. Utterly floored.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 11:28   Link #1586
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
There had been massive changes from the novels, but in the end things did fit quite nicely so as to allow a more true adaptation of the later parts.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 15:58   Link #1587
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
^ This. I'm actually very happy that it has done as well as it seems to have. Considering they stayed relatively true to the LNs (it seems), had good pacing, great artwork (some of the most beautiful backgrounds and animation this season I think) I'm very happy people seem to appreciate it..

Erm no; the only reason why people don't complain as much is because 1) They had low to zero expectations for it, and 2) They have never touched the Light Novel before.

It quickly became very apparent that the Anime had done some serious editing to the script once you read the novel, most of which would definitely get grinded at by fans had they read it before. Evidence supporting this is that the complains seem to surface only in the last few episodes... Once people were familiar with the future events.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 16:30   Link #1588
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Hm, interesting -- I didn't realize they had changed as much as they did. I know some people were complaining in the LN thread because certain scenes got removed, shifted or shortened -- but my impression was that it stayed faithful to the major plot points and themes.

Personally I was OK with the pacing, maybe I'll come back to this after I manage to get exposed to more of the LN and dislike it! Thus far though, the few scenes that were eliminated in Volume 1 (and the addition of the march with lit matchlocks scene when going to see the Viper) felt OK.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 18:01   Link #1589
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 19
Even i'm surprised that this anime is very enjoyable considering they crammed 4 volume into the 12 episodes (which originally i thought was impossible to execute), and almost not butchering the character developments (nearly all main characters got their own shining moments). I hope there'll be second season.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 18:13   Link #1590
Uran
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That, or the fact that Nobuna actually has a decent story to tell and doesn't rely on cheap ecchi scenes.
I'm afraid that wasn't enough to please the Japanese.
The usual fan of this kind of anime (genderbender) just wanted fanservice and instead Nobuna presented them too little of that crap.
Most people actually expected ecchi and fanservice and didn't get what they were looking for. I can't see them buying the disks.
Instead most enthusiasts are people that watched the anime expecting nothing and were struck by its good story and development. (I am included in these)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
That being said, I am utterly shocked how well Dog Days S2 has done. Utterly floored.
The perfect example of what the Japanese wanted and had it granted. Moe + fanservice in bulk.
Not that it is wrong bay any means, but it bores me that moe and fanservice are more appreciated than plot and story development.
Of course that's just my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It quickly became very apparent that the Anime had done some serious editing to the script once you read the novel, most of which would definitely get grinded at by fans had they read it before. Evidence supporting this is that the complains seem to surface only in the last few episodes... Once people were familiar with the future events.
Complaints in the last episodes are that it shows it's too rushed.
As for the aforementioned adaptation, it shows how only the main plot line was animated. Yes they let out episodes with Date, with hanbei's onmyouji fight, Nene pissing herself and a lot of stuff, but they ported the main storyline faithfully so that there aren't holes and the plot looks coherent.
Anything extra could be easily added later in the form of oavs or specials if they wanted to. But how do yo fix holes once you cut the plot like grass?
I'd also praise how they toned down fanservice and choose to prioritize plot over it.
Fans with a little of brain matter would find this adaptation quite good and wouldn't sweat over details.

Last edited by Uran; 2012-10-02 at 18:17. Reason: damn how many errors!!
Uran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 18:48   Link #1591
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uran View Post
I'm afraid that wasn't enough to please the Japanese.
The usual fan of this kind of anime (genderbender) just wanted fanservice and instead Nobuna presented them too little of that crap.
Most people actually expected ecchi and fanservice and didn't get what they were looking for. I can't see them buying the disks.
Instead most enthusiasts are people that watched the anime expecting nothing and were struck by its good story and development. (I am included in these)
I'm sorry but I'm going to call bs on that; if ecchi was the only thing on their mind then the more scandalous trio of Friday night would have sold better.

Nobuna never had a big fanbase to begin with, there was nothing to build any hype from.

Quote:
Complaints in the last episodes are that it shows it's too rushed.
As for the aforementioned adaptation, it shows how only the main plot line was animated. Yes they let out episodes with Date, with hanbei's onmyouji fight, Nene pissing herself and a lot of stuff, but they ported the main storyline faithfully so that there aren't holes and the plot looks coherent.
Anything extra could be easily added later in the form of oavs or specials if they wanted to. But how do yo fix holes once you cut the plot like grass?
I'd also praise how they toned down fanservice and choose to prioritize plot over it.
Fans with a little of brain matter would find this adaptation quite good and wouldn't sweat over details.
Can I ask you something? Did you read the light novel? Or did you read the summary of the light novel? Because there is a world of difference between the two experience.

Had Nobuna have a bigger fanbase from the beginning with higher expectations, I'm convinced people would have rioted at the changes like what's going on now in SAO.

That said, I do like that they have cut out a lot of the romcom fats that's dragging down the story in the novel. And while the rearranging of scenes doesn't bother me, I'm certain it's a cardinal sin of adaptations somewhere.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 01:59   Link #1592
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Spoiler for Nyantype NSFW:
Interesting how Nobuna actually has a decent swimsuit, while the other two have... whatever it is they're wearing.

Not that I'm complaining...
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 04:03   Link #1593
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Interesting how Nobuna actually has a decent swimsuit, while the other two have... whatever it is they're wearing.

Not that I'm complaining...
Privilege of being the Daimyo.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-10-03 at 04:22.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 04:24   Link #1594
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Interesting how Nobuna actually has a decent swimsuit, while the other two have... whatever it is they're wearing.

Not that I'm complaining...
Hmm? Aren't those fundoshi?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 04:48   Link #1595
Uran
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I'm sorry but I'm going to call bs on that; if ecchi was the only thing on their mind then the more scandalous trio of Friday night would have sold better.

Nobuna never had a big fanbase to begin with, there was nothing to build any hype from.
It's usually a mix of all of those factors. But really, japanese fandom do like fanservice. Success on the market can't depend just on hype, can it?
If so it'd be even more depressing than calling them a just bunch of ero-nerds.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Can I ask you something? Did you read the light novel? Or did you read the summary of the light novel? Because there is a world of difference between the two experience.
Don't even try to cockblock me on that. I've got more than enough informations to make a reason, and you yourself presented a lot of those to me already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Had Nobuna have a bigger fanbase from the beginning with higher expectations, I'm convinced people would have rioted at the changes like what's going on now in SAO.
Then I call bs on people. They can't be so stupid not to know how to judge such a good adaptation. Do they really expect a novel, game or whatever to be animated 1:1 with the original medium? Do you also expected that?
Uran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 05:18   Link #1596
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uran View Post
It's usually a mix of all of those factors. But really, japanese fandom do like fanservice. Success on the market can't depend just on hype, can it?
If so it'd be even more depressing than calling them a just bunch of ero-nerds.
Well clearly fanservice isn't the defining factor now is it?

My point is you're still going to need a solid fanbase is you want to hit the big sales and the reason is simple- they're the only ones that would spent tens of thousands of yen on bd/dvd for a whole season. It's one thing to say you like the show, it's another to put your money where your mouth is.

Nobuna is a good watch for one season, but not one that I could imagine having legions of fans.

Quote:
Don't even try to cockblock me on that. I've got more than enough informations to make a reason, and you yourself presented a lot of those to me already.
*shrugged* Hey I'm just saying, there's clearly a big difference...

Quote:
Then I call bs on people. They can't be so stupid not to know how to judge such a good adaptation. Do they really expect a novel, game or whatever to be animated 1:1 with the original medium? Do you also expected that?
Oh yes they can, just make your way down to your nearest big title Anime thread and enjoy the fire... oh except for Horizon- the only ones left there are diehard fans.

As for me, I'm just intrigue at the irony of it all.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-10-03 at 06:05.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 05:23   Link #1597
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uran View Post
Then I call bs on people. They can't be so stupid not to know how to judge such a good adaptation. Do they really expect a novel, game or whatever to be animated 1:1 with the original medium? Do you also expected that?
...

Are you new to the internet? Hi, welcome...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 05:32   Link #1598
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 26
I am personally impressed with this anime series. I came into it expecting a shitty story that relied completely on ecchi to make me at all interested, and I walked away with a story that, while having an odd premise, was surprisingly heartfelt and genuine. The characters were lovable and believable (almost all of them had some development to some extent), and overally everything was tastefully done, excellent animation, voice acting, and minimum extraneous fanservice, etc, etc.

A diamond in the rough, so to speak.

tl:dr ...

Overall, short but sweet. Considering the possibilities, I might even venture to say (tentatively) that this series calls for a sequel, since Nobuna still has much of Japan left to conquer.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 09:06   Link #1599
Uran
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Well clearly fanservice isn't the defining factor now is it?

My point is you're still going to need a solid fanbase is you want to hit the big sales and the reason is simple- they're the only ones that would spent tens of thousands of yen on bd/dvd for a whole season. It's one thing to say you like the show, it's another to put your money where your mouth is.

Nobuna is a good watch for one season, but not one that I could imagine having legions of fans.
Well, your point sure is valid and I'm not arguing on that.
My point was a little different. It's a matter of fact western taste in plot and char development is rather different from Japanese's taste on visuals.
As a matter of fact fanservice, according to its general meaning and not limited to ecchi stuff, is also that kind of visual they like a lot and certainly a defining factor. Luckily it' not the only one there.
It's quite nice to see how shows that just rely on ecchi are biting the dust lately.
Just compare Dog Days to Nobuna and see it yourself.
(I'm not blaming the ecchi trio, but the big hits like Nisemonogatari and such)

But maybe I'm digressing, so I'll leave it at that, if it bores you people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
*shrugged* Hey I'm just saying, there's clearly a big difference...
Sorry for the sudden reaction, but usually that question is used to shut up people deeming their claims void for ignorance. I'm not ignorant as I studied my lesson well before posting.

As for original material, I read the first two manga volumes and am slowly reading the novel too, but It's very still hard for me. I'm not native, you see... (Thank god for the invention of the furigana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Are you new to the internet? Hi, welcome...
Nice to meet you. I'm rather new, yeah, if you mean you hardly read anything from me before. But I've been online for a decade now, and lurking here and there on this site and elsewhere from 4 years at least.
I know very well both western and eastern fandom and how much they could be stubborn, and that is why I seldom post here. I hope I won't have to regret turning back active now.
Uran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 09:51   Link #1600
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Swimsuits: I rather have Juubei-chan:

Images
White
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, historical, romance, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.