AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: What determines who you vote for/support in moe competitions?
I aim to vote for the most moe character. 16 41.03%
I aim to vote for the best overall character 7 17.95%
"Most moe" and "best overall" are one and the same to me. 3 7.69%
Other, see post below 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-03, 16:31   Link #21
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely try to find a balance between personality and appearance, as sometimes the character's behavior can be what actually makes them attractive. However winning me over on the aesthetics side is consistent even if it doesn't strike as high, while it's more difficult for someone trying to get by with more personality but pays dividends later on.

For example in a match-up between Kanade (Angel Beats!) and Fate (Nanoha) I'd be more inclined to vote for the former as she just has enough moe' to break even with the latter's combo of character and looks. But then there are gals like Nagisa (Clannad) that I vote for almost entirely on character no matter what card she draws (even if I know she doesn't stand a chance, because I just vote for fun. The only time I've ever cared about those statistics is when Shana didn't have the Ruby Necklace), and there aren't that many that can make me vote for them regardless of the circumstances.

Ahem.

To put it in racing terms, I think some characters have high acceleration but low top speed (looks), while others have low acceleration but high top speed (personality).
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 16:58   Link #22
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Disclaimer that I rather dislike all these sorts of contests and don't vote in them (and so didn't vote in this poll either, of course).

That said, I am still a bit confused by the question. "Moe" is the reaction the viewer feels towards or in response to a character. So to vote for the "most moe character", you're talking about the one that promotes the most "moe" response in the viewer -- therefore it's a sort of popularity contest by design. If you vote in these contests like "I personally feel more moe for <x>, but <y> is a better character overall even though I feel less moe towards them"... that's sort of skewing the results, isn't it? Moe is an expression of passion. If you feel more moe for someone because they're a better-developed character (as is alluded to by Demi., for example), that's a different story.

There is no such thing as "the most moe character" (it's not a cumulation of character traits). Only the one that the largest group of viewers feel "moe" towards. "Best overall character" is an intellectual/analytical determination, whereas "moe" is a purely emotional response. Rather than being similar, I think they're rather diametrically opposed. Hence, I'm not sure if the question makes too much sense... at least to me. (Then again, like I said, it doesn't matter because I don't vote on these contests anyway, so my answer would still be "N/A".)
Old 2011-11-03, 17:22   Link #23
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Disclaimer that I rather dislike all these sorts of contests and don't vote in them (and so didn't vote in this poll either, of course).

That said, I am still a bit confused by the question. "Moe" is the reaction the viewer feels towards or in response to a character. So to vote for the "most moe character", you're talking about the one that promotes the most "moe" response in the viewer -- therefore it's a sort of popularity contest by design. If you vote in these contests like "I personally feel more moe for <x>, but <y> is a better character overall even though I feel less moe towards them"... that's sort of skewing the results, isn't it? Moe is an expression of passion. If you feel more moe for someone because they're a better-developed character (as is alluded to by Demi., for example), that's a different story.

There is no such thing as "the most moe character" (it's not a cumulation of character traits). Only the one that the largest group of viewers feel "moe" towards. "Best overall character" is an intellectual/analytical determination, whereas "moe" is a purely emotional response. Rather than being similar, I think they're rather diametrically opposed. Hence, I'm not sure if the question makes too much sense... at least to me. (Then again, like I said, it doesn't matter because I don't vote on these contests anyway, so my answer would still be "N/A".)
Ah, come'on. Don't take these moe tournament too seriously. Think of it as occasional release of your fanboy(girl)ism.
Old 2011-11-03, 17:25   Link #24
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Ah, come'on. Don't take these moe tournament too seriously. Think of it as occasional release of your fanboy(girl)ism.
But isn't that exactly what I'm saying? Voting for the "best overall character" is doing an intellectual analysis that has nothing to do with who you feel moe for... so shouldn't you just "follow your heart", as it were? I thought that was the point of these contests? (But like I said, I don't participate, so I don't know.)
Old 2011-11-03, 18:03   Link #25
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
If I participated, I would vote based on how "moe" someone is because that is the quality being judged. But at the same time, I don't give a damn about "moe" so I don't participate. Also, I think I accidentally clicked on the wrong choice on the poll so I posted to correct that.
Old 2011-11-03, 18:08   Link #26
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
I vote for my favourite character, and naturally that's the one I think is better/higher quality. Or maybe more moe. Whichever it is that got my attention from the character in question really; purely subjective.

It doesn't make much sense, but I'd rather a good character from a good show won than a poor but moe character from an equally poor show.
Old 2011-11-03, 18:30   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well there's no answer for "casual indifference", but that's kind of how it is for me. I just don't really see the point of having these sorts of things year round and they usually lead to some high tension situations between fans of different hit moe characters that IMO can seem pretty bitter at times. I guess it's supposed to be a character appreciation thing, but I just don't have the same sort of interest in celebrating moe characters as most.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 18:35   Link #28
Ithekro
Warning

Well there is always SaiGAR (well there was) and Korea's Male Best Moe.
Old 2011-11-03, 19:18   Link #29
Eater of All
NOM

I vote by believing in my gut instinct, and I'd like to think that doing so allows me to truly vote based on moe (or at least approach that). After all, my gut is obviously much more educated than my brain in terms of what I subconsciously feel is moe.

I can say with confidence though that simply being a good character is not enough for me. For instance, I find Senjougahara Hitagi to be one of the best characters of the decade, but I vote against her more often than for her in ISML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Now then *cough cough* ... I think the point of competitions such as the ISML is primarily a measuring of what the largest % of people's preferences are as opposed to some kind of "objective evaluation" of ... well ... whatever, specifically in this case.
Sometimes, I wonder if "objectivity" is just an overwhelming majority's aligning subjectivity.

But yeah, I'd say its purpose is simply to measure people's preferences, and having fun in the process. It's not some scientific study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But isn't that exactly what I'm saying? Voting for the "best overall character" is doing an intellectual analysis that has nothing to do with who you feel moe for... so shouldn't you just "follow your heart", as it were? I thought that was the point of these contests? (But like I said, I don't participate, so I don't know.)
This. Which is why I just follow my gut.
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 19:20   Link #30
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
Quote:
How do you approach moe competitions?
In response to the first post of this thread.

Well, I've been going with only one approach for years now (started with Saimoe 2006). Vote for the competing characters who are characters that I like in their respective shows. For example, waited more than 1 hr for a vote code and voted Suiseiseki because she's one of the characters that I like in Rozen Maiden, no further reasons needed.

Waiting for vote code takes time, so I don't usually vote in matches where none of the characters are familiar to me.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:10   Link #31
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Moe competition = sniping and anti-posts.
It's no longer who's the most moe.

This post came from one of the administrators of the Saimoe Wiki in Wikia.
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:14   Link #32
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Moe competition = sniping and anti-posts.
It's no longer who's the most moe.

This post came from one of the administrators of the Saimoe Wiki in Wikia.
He would be completely right. However, that shouldn't disallow you from expressing your true ideal, even if in reality it doesn't turn out that way, for the sake of discussion.

Assuming, you actually care though.

However, I will say, this sniping and hate is pretty annoying. It causes a winner of who's hated the least rather than liked the most.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:18   Link #33
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

^ Expressing your true ideal does not need to be expressed by voting in Saimoe contests. For example, you can just flaunt your most moe anime character in your avatar and/or signature in this forum. No need to go through all that negative energy.

And all those sniping makes me wonder if the Anime Saimoe Tournament works in a reverse manner than ISML: she who gets the most hate votes is the winner in the tournament.

I still can't believe a no-namer, for example, can topple a famous contender in AST's regular season.
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:44   Link #34
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

How do you approach moe contests? It's better if you just don't approach them .

In all seriousness, moe contests usually are about a group of girls who have randomly been labelled "moe" (A sort of obscure term which lacks precise definition), and then people vote on who is the most moe, but that usually coincides with who everybody's favorite character is.

In the end I just see it as a poll about your favorite character, with the additional tag that they are moe. The least hated usually wins in the end.

They're pretty worthless competitions that don't actually supply good data from the fanbase.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:49   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I generally avoid the contest alltogether :P because many times its like comparing fruits and tire-irons. And sort of by definition I consider the whole package because that's where the moe comes from.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:49   Link #36
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
How do you approach moe contests? It's better if you just don't approach them .

In all seriousness, moe contests usually are about a group of girls who have randomly been labelled "moe" (A sort of obscure term which lacks precise definition), and then people vote on who is the most moe, but that usually coincides with who everybody's favorite character is.

In the end I just see it as a poll about your favorite character, with the additional tag that they are moe. The least hated usually wins in the end.

They're pretty worthless competitions that don't actually supply good data from the fanbase.
The least hated usually wins in the end? How I wish that was true.
Old 2011-11-03, 20:55   Link #37
Ithekro
Warning

The winner depends on the year, the contest, and the mood. It could be most popular, most trollish, least hated, most meme-ic, or any number of things.
Old 2011-11-03, 21:11   Link #38
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

tbh, i mainly vote for a character if she has the quality i like overall. and she should be a favourite of mine. other people find loli tsunderes moe, i don't. other people don't find fully endowed and mature women moe, well, i do. uhh..it's kinda hard to explain ya'know. xD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 21:41   Link #39
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ Expressing your true ideal does not need to be expressed by voting in Saimoe contests. For example, you can just flaunt your most moe anime character in your avatar and/or signature in this forum. No need to go through all that negative energy.
But I already do that. it's just for the sake of discussion.

I won't lie though, I'd say one has to be kind of an M to keep active with saimoe. J/k.... maybe.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 22:30   Link #40
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I won't lie though, I'd say one has to be kind of an M to keep active with saimoe. J/k.... maybe.
Or just really, really enjoy tournaments. It reminds me of people who are in sports pools and religiously follow all the games to see if their chosen players/teams advance. Personally, it isn't something that has ever really interested me, but I certainly know people for whom that's their thing. The great lengths people go through for these contests (especially some of the bloggers and such) are at once both admirable and a bit scary to me... But if you like it...