AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-03, 14:09   Link #1
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Anime where a male lead retailiates against or stands up to abuse

I've seen too many anime where a male anime character gets beat on by a female character for no real reason other than it's apparently ok to beat people up because they are attractive anime females. And the guys usually just take it like the worthless sods they are.

So I'd like to know if there is anime where the male lead doesn't put up with this shit. He doesn't necessarily have to attack back, but stand up for himself at the very least with some success.

Bascially, I demand male characters with a spine.

I guess you can swap the genders too and it doesn't have to be a romantic relationship, since I despise excessively and irrationally violent people in general.

My MAL for reference:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Archon_Wing
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-11-03 at 14:20.
Old 2011-11-03, 15:28   Link #2
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

The only one I can think of is Working! . The guy in question doesn't retaliate but the abuse isn't seen as a good thing, even from the culprits perspective (she has androphobia), so they so they both work to cure it. However the guy is disgruntled about it and doesn't hide that fact.

There is also another male character who isn't afraid of hurting a female colleage when they do exceedingly stupid things, and this includes his love interest.
Old 2011-11-03, 15:47   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would stay the hell away fron Ben-To, that's for sure...
Old 2011-11-03, 15:50   Link #4
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I've seen too many anime where a male anime character gets beat on by a female character for no real reason other than it's apparently ok to beat people up because they are attractive anime females. And the guys usually just take it like the worthless sods they are.

So I'd like to know if there is anime where the male lead doesn't put up with this shit. He doesn't necessarily have to attack back, but stand up for himself at the very least with some success. ...
ikwym ... I also dislike the absusive interaction that is passed off as humorous in anime the past few years. REALLY dislike it in fact....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I would stay the hell away fron Ben-To, that's for sure...
Agreed. That is one of the reasons why I dropped the series, to be honest.

Wait a minute ... this is now TWO things AW and I agree on, and in the space of one day, no less....
Old 2011-11-03, 16:33   Link #5
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
ikwym ... I also dislike the absusive interaction that is passed off as humorous in anime the past few years. REALLY dislike it in fact....
Though you can't really fault them, it really is culture thing. I mean the whole traditional manzai comedy in Japan is built on "tsukko" verbally and physically abuse the "boke". And considering Manzai is making a full-scaled comeback in Japanese comedy for the past 5-6 years after a period of decline in the 90s and early 2000s, it's not surprising anime comedy reflected that.
Old 2011-11-03, 16:44   Link #6
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Though you can't really fault them, it really is culture thing. I mean the whole traditional manzai comedy in Japan is built on "tsukko" verbally and physically abuse the "boke".

And considering Manzai is making a full-scaled comeback in Japanese comedy for the past 5-6 years after a period of decline in the 90s and early 2000s, it's not surprising anime comedy reflected that.
I see what you mean ... I probaly should have emphasized that the issue is not as much outright "blame" per se. Just not really my "cup of tea" is all.
Old 2011-11-03, 17:40   Link #7
Croix

-GTO - Great Teacher Onizuka: All about standing up to bullying.
-Beelzebub: main has a lot of spine and guts
-Bastard!! - Main is a womanizer who beat the crap out of bad guys
-Berserk - main is a straight up person who kicks ass
Old 2011-11-03, 18:21   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought AW was looking for something more specific than just strong male protagonists. I thought he was referring to the standard gag relationship where a male lead is physically abused by one or more women, usually in some type of harem arrangment.

If you're just looking for strong-willed hero who stands up to abuse, let me recommed Tamaya Seikichi in Oh! Edo Rocket. All he wants to do is create and display fireworks, but the Shogun has ruled such petty entertainments illegal. Seikichi gets a sudden burst of further inspiration from an unusual quarter; a strange young woman asks him to make her a firework that can reach the moon. How they manage this project in the face of authoritarian rulers and their henchmen becomes a clever satire on political repression.

Kurenai Shinkarou never gets physically abused by the women around him. They employ more subtle psychological pressures that exploit weaknesses in Shinkarou's character. He's a very erratic personality -- sometimes he's a wuss, sometimes he's a ferocious fighter. Becoming responsible for seven-year-old Murasaki helps Shinkarou develop into a stronger personality.

Daikichi's path in Usagi Drop has some parallels to Shinkarou's. He's faced with a disapproving family after he decides to become the caretaker of six-year-old Rin. Before this decision, Daikichi was a moping guy in his thirties who seemed to be going nowhere. Standing up to his family and taking care of young Rin make him into a much more impressive man.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-11-03 at 18:36.
Old 2011-11-03, 18:32   Link #9
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I see what you mean ... I probaly should have emphasized that the issue is not as much outright "blame" per se. Just not really my "cup of tea" is all.

gotcha, in that case, while I like abusive comedy, I do have problem when it was done needlessly. Kind of like my view on tsundere. I love Tusndere, but I have problem if there is too much tsun and no dere to be found.

The exception for me would be show like Ben-To where everything is exaggerated and everyone in on equal footing.

Anyway, back to topic.

The closest I've seen might be Ladies v.s. Butler or Baka Test. While the main characters' resistance is futile most of time, they at least tried to fight back a little and not just on the receptive end.

Beelzebub fit the mode too, but other titles Croix mention doesn't really fit since non of the main character in those series were on receptive of abuse. (Well, GTO might fit, but Eiji didn't get abused by his student nearly as bad in anime compare to manga)
Old 2011-11-03, 19:27   Link #10
AnimeFangirl

Kaze no Stigma, I guess? I only watched a little bit, but he stood his ground whenever the very annoying girl tried to push him around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croix View Post
-GTO - Great Teacher Onizuka: All about standing up to bullying.
Onizuka helps other people stand up to bullying, but the man himself gets abused a lot.
Old 2011-11-03, 21:01   Link #11
weaponX
Designated facepalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Kaze no Stigma, I guess? I only watched a little bit, but he stood his ground whenever the very annoying girl tried to push him around.

Onizuka helps other people stand up to bullying, but the man himself gets abused a lot.
True, but he does stand up to it and not just whimper away more often than not.
misery no more.”
Proverbs 31: 6-7MyAnimeList
Old 2011-11-03, 21:38   Link #12
Ryugamine

Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple Kenichi (aka Weak Legs) gets picked on by everyone until he meets Miu and trains.
Old 2011-11-03, 21:51   Link #13
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I know I saw some that fit this.

But The World God Only Knows is the only one coming to mind right now...

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-11-04, 00:34   Link #14
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Have you seen Black Lagoon?

It’s about an humble office worker named Rokuro (Rock) who’s had enough of his pathetic job and heartless bosses and decided to join the mercenary group that kidnapped him. When he first join the group, he has to endure the abusive Levy, one of the mercenary’s prominent member. After some time, he finally stand up to Levy’s abuse. He even call her a coward and idiot for dealing everything with violence only to have a bullet from Levy’s gun miss his head just about a few millimeters after the argument . Rock earns Levy’s respect after that. Furthermore, not only Levy’s abusive manner toward Rock becomes less and less frequent, she also grew some feelings for him as the story progress.

I also agree with those who suggest Beelzebub.
Old 2011-11-04, 00:46   Link #15
Isekaijin

I second Kaze no Stigma, The lead definitely wasn't your typical pushover.
Old 2011-11-04, 01:10   Link #16
Kirito
Tease to Please!♥

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Seikon no Qwaser is what you're totally looking for. The main dude is 13 and he gets a hot older girlfriend and he won't submit to anyone.
Old 2011-11-04, 02:41   Link #17
barcode120x
NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
So I'd like to know if there is anime where the male lead doesn't put up with this shit. He doesn't necessarily have to attack back, but stand up for himself at the very least with some success.

Bascially, I demand male characters with a spine.

I guess you can swap the genders too and it doesn't have to be a romantic relationship, since I despise excessively and irrationally violent people in general.
You have to watch Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi. The female protagonist for sure doesn't put up with crap, especially since she's a girl. Also, the male character (who only plays a partial role in the series) definitely fits your criteria. If only the series amounted more in to more romance =/. I think you will like it
Old 2011-11-04, 12:40   Link #18
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
I think Speed Grapher might work.. I hate giving to much away so check out the ANN link, but the show has many of the qualities you are looking for. The only down side is that its kind of extreme in the violence area...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4579

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-11-04, 14:20   Link #19
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Have you seen Black Lagoon?
You know,I'll second that.I just rewatched the scene in question and it's as epic I remember it to be.

And he didn't just stand up to his sister that was punching him a little,he stood up to a cold blooded killer that had a gun aimed at him.
Old 2011-11-05, 06:49   Link #20
Croix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
gotcha, in that case, while I like abusive comedy, I do have problem when it was done needlessly. Kind of like my view on tsundere. I love Tusndere, but I have problem if there is too much tsun and no dere to be found.

The exception for me would be show like Ben-To where everything is exaggerated and everyone in on equal footing.

Anyway, back to topic.

The closest I've seen might be Ladies v.s. Butler or Baka Test. While the main characters' resistance is futile most of time, they at least tried to fight back a little and not just on the receptive end.

Beelzebub fit the mode too, but other titles Croix mention doesn't really fit since non of the main character in those series were on receptive of abuse. (Well, GTO might fit, but Eiji didn't get abused by his student nearly as bad in anime compare to manga)
I don't think she is just looking for anime that's only about getting abused and standing up to it. Berserk and Bastard!! may not necessarily fits the abused category, but the mains in those anime pretty much resembles what she might be interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post

Onizuka stand for what he believes in with a straight up attitude, whether he helps preventing abuse or getting abused.
Closed Thread