AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: How much Japanese do you know from watching anime?
None 0 0%
A few words 14 21.54%
A few phrases 33 50.77%
I can watch some anime without subtitles 10 15.38%
I can watch most anime without subtitles 5 7.69%
Fluent 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-08, 16:50   Link #41
歌おう、姉妹の歌を

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Actually they should start with keigo first (for those who don't know, keigo's a really formal style of talking), but it's quite complex
Why? It's used far less commonly than teineigo. Just because it's more polite doesn't make it better for all situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Well yes my teacher did specify that the short forms of verbs could be used in informal situations, but when I asked him about personal pronouns like "ore" or "omae" he literally said "We don't really use them. Only in manga and anime, haha." But I guess he might be a little out of touch having lived abroad for so long and maybe youngsters use it or something.
Your teacher has obviously never been on 2ch, haha. But even in real life "ore" and "omae" are common amongst males speaking casually with close friends. If you want to sound manly, using "ore" is the way to go.
Avatar of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 17:16   Link #42
Transitions
by John Digweed House Mix

Send a message via MSN to Transitions Send a message via Skype™ to Transitions
hello, but as like the anime i decide to go here.

on the subject, few japanase words i learn, as I've seen anime the classic "arigatou" and daijou bu?" i guess it is written so, an another words not remeber, xD

greetings
Transitions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 03:52   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Dreams View Post
Why? It's used far less commonly than teineigo. Just because it's more polite doesn't make it better for all situations.

Your teacher has obviously never been on 2ch, haha. But even in real life "ore" and "omae" are common amongst males speaking casually with close friends. If you want to sound manly, using "ore" is the way to go.
If you're traveling and not in a rowdy bar.... probably better to stick with being polite. You're not *friends* with most people, you're a *visitor*. Smile a lot though.. and let them take the lead on dialing down the formality.

However.... yeah, teachers of Japanese *can* be a bit out of touch. I took one class from a very nice retired gentleman from Yokohama... who unfortunately taught the class an almost pre-ww2 level of politeness in conversation (starting with him insisting that watakushi was fitting for most average conversations.... errrrrrrrr, no.).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 06:49   Link #44
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Actually they should start with keigo first (for those who don't know, keigo's a really formal style of talking), but it's quite complex
Quote:
Spoiler for ...and this is totally OT:

I have learnt some things from anime, how to say "(that) gives me the creeps" (寒気がします) being one of them. And basic stuff like greetings before I actually started learning Japanese properly. But it's just one of the many tools I still use today to keep my Japanese ability up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
However.... yeah, teachers of Japanese *can* be a bit out of touch. I took one class from a very nice retired gentleman from Yokohama... who unfortunately taught the class an almost pre-ww2 level of politeness in conversation (starting with him insisting that watakushi was fitting for most average conversations.... errrrrrrrr, no.).
lol...you using 'watakushi', especially in Japan, would be a sight to see, Vexx

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 12:13   Link #45
歌おう、姉妹の歌を

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Spoiler for ...and this is totally OT:
I'm well aware of the different tiers of keigo but the person I was responding to separated teineigo from keigo (which is the case for many textbooks designed to teach Japanese to foreigners to simplify things) so I merely was following suit.

Spoiler for OT:

But hey, learning keigo is beneficial to watching anime too. There are always a few characters here and there who use it as their primary form of speech (regardless of whom they are speaking to). Cecilia from Infinite Stratos is one example.
Old 2011-11-09, 19:37   Link #46
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
I'm well aware of the different tiers of keigo but the person I was responding to separated teineigo from keigo (which is the case for many textbooks designed to teach Japanese to foreigners to simplify things) so I merely was following suit.

Spoiler for OT:

But hey, learning keigo is beneficial to watching anime too. There are always a few characters here and there who use it as their primary form of speech (regardless of whom they are speaking to). Cecilia from Infinite Stratos is one example.
Ah, yeah. Sorry, what I wrote was mostly meant for risingstar.

I see - having never learnt from one of those textbooks, I had no idea they separated keigo and teineigo out, or that the most recent split only happened a few years ago...

True true. There have been a good few series where even my minimal knowledge of keigo (sonkeigo/kenjougo) has been helpful

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 19:40   Link #47
DXMichael
Stare Into My Eyes...

Baka
Onii-chan
Ojou-Sama
Kawaii

Thats it really :P
DXMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 05:03   Link #48
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy.Tear View Post

If you don't know Japanese, that was ******* amazing.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, I know it's a fail attempt.
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 05:16   Link #49
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
hey, whats "embarrasing" in Japanese?

(naughty thoughts) heheheh
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 06:26   Link #50
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author

Not sure how to romanise properly but "hazukashi" is basically how you pronounce it me thinks.
Old 2011-11-10, 06:37   Link #51
Xenio
Flower

anyone know what is the romanji of "what wrong' or "what the matter" , it sound like "dou-stan-no"

btw, can anyone translate this, it from a song
Sabishii toki ni wa Nagusamete hoshii no
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 07:04   Link #52
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
anyone know what is the romanji of "what wrong' or "what the matter" , it sound like "dou-stan-no"

btw, can anyone translate this, it from a song
Sabishii toki ni wa Nagusamete hoshii no
"Dou shita no?" or "Mondai ga arimasu ka?" the second one is more formal I think.
Old 2011-11-10, 07:40   Link #53
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, I know it's a fail attempt.
I'm not kidding. That was awesome. I don't see what anybody has any complaints with, that's grammatically perfect.

As for the song lyrics: "At the times I'm lonely, I want to be comforted."

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 08:06   Link #54
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy.Tear View Post
I'm not kidding. That was awesome. I don't see what anybody has any complaints with, that's grammatically perfect.

As for the song lyrics: "At the times I'm lonely, I want to be comforted."
Thanks, but as Irenicus mentioned, it could still come off as somewhat rude.

Maybe if you change it into "Ahh, sumimasen, demo kore wa boku no nihongo no genkai desu." then you'd be somewhat in the safe zone.

Btw if anyone's wondering, this makes much more sense when you say it in English:

"Ahh, sorry, but this is the limit of my Japanese."

I believe I heard something similar being used in a movie about WWII before, though it was French instead.
Old 2011-11-10, 08:56   Link #55
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
I know hardly any words in Japanese (only a few) throughout the several years of watching anime. It's not until I self-study Japanese that I start expanding on my vocabulary. This is only when I started recognizing some of the words. Needless to say, it's not possible to entirely learn the whole language just from watching subs as the translations are different from what they are actually saying... and of course the grammar structure.
Old 2011-11-10, 21:32   Link #56
歌おう、姉妹の歌を

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Maybe if you change it into "Ahh, sumimasen, demo kore wa boku no nihongo no genkai desu." then you'd be somewhat in the safe zone.
Sounds a little weird to me. "Demo" almost always begins a sentence so yours sounds like there is an unnecessary pause like as in "I'm sorry. But this is the limit to my Japanese." Not ungrammatical, just not as natural as if you replaced "demo" here with "ga" or "kedo".
Old 2011-11-11, 02:28   Link #57
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

You'd never write it that way, I agree with you, but if you were speaking it nobody would have a problem.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 22:31   Link #58
CMHerrera
Miss. Fangirl
*Graphic Designer

Location: In a land where Shota's and Bishounens live in a vast land full of suger filled meadows.
Send a message via Skype™ to CMHerrera
Hmm I learned quite a few phrases from watching it and I myself have studied a bit on my own on Japanese.. which made it even better, sure I can't read it so well still but I am determined ^^

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMHerrera is offline   Reply With Quote