AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-25, 20:00   Link #1
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Exclamation Hunting 3 Types of Anime

After some years of silence, I'm now out hunting for anime again. I hope some of the newer, post-2009 anime wouldn't disappoint me.

Though, there are 2 conditions that should apply to whatever anime I'm looking for:
1) Must NOT contain tsunderes. (I hate them. They're ridiculous and annoying, all the way into the bones.) Although a mild tsundere without violence is fine.
2) It's not a must (except for the 2nd type of anime below), but I don't mind ecchi or borderline hentai. In fact, I'm sort of looking for them.

Slice-of-Life
After watching ARIA, it has been THE SoL standard for me ever since. But I know it's very unlikely to see such a high quality SoL anime again, so I'm not asking for much. Any newer SoL anime that are of at least decent quality? I'm not going to give too many specific requirements here for this because I'm keeping my options open for SoL. Something like ARIA, Sketchbook full ColorS, even Bartender, or Lamune, are fine. Something like those. Peaceful, not rushed, and even meaningful. School SoL is also okay.

Loli + Ecchi / Borderline Hentai
Okay. Here I'm looking for all sorts of loli anime, preferably with some ecchi mixed in. Though, seeing that I mentioned "borderline hentai" up there means the higher the degree of ecchiness there is, the better. But caution! NO TSUNDERES, as mentioned. I've a feeling that whenever there are lolis and ecchi involved, tsunderes are destined to appear. No, I don't want any loli + ecchi anime with tsunderes in them.

Fantasy / Magical
I'm also trying to keep my options for this one open. Here I'm looking for something that contains vivid depictions of fantasy worlds, or any special setting, such as Seiken no Blacksmith, Tegami Bachi, Seirei no Moribito, or Sora no Woto. If there's nothing special with the setting, something like Kaze no Stigma is also fine. I don't mind magical girls too. By the way, I've already watched Madoka Magica, but not really my cup of tea though, due to... how dark it is.

So yeah. These are the 3 types of anime I'm hunting for this year.
Please suggest as many as possible, and I'll check them out on MAL.
Your suggestions are very very much appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 2011-11-25, 20:19   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For your SoL, I recommend Ikoku Meiro no Croisee. It does have a plot and very meaningful character development, but it's paced slowly and does slice of life wonderfully.

For your Fantasy requirements, you might try the underrated Nishi no Yoki Majo. It's a sort of adult fairy tale with a very interesting romantic vibe with the lead pair.
Old 2011-11-25, 20:32   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Slice-of-life
You can watch Usagi Drop or K-ON! I don’t think there’s any notable tsunderes in them.

Loli + Ecchi / Borderline Hentai
There’s Kiss x Sis that may fulfill your desire. No notable tsunderes either.

Fantasy/ Magical
Have you seen Last Exile? Coz the sequel series, Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing is airing right now. Also, it doesn’t have any extreme tsunderes too. Fate/ Zero is also good.

Sorry if you already watched or dropped them.
Old 2011-11-25, 20:38   Link #4
GreatTeacherKen

I'll second Ikoku Meiro no Croisee and also add Tamayura to slice of life recommendations. Both of them can be considered spiritual successors to Aria and have a similar charm to that series and some of the people who worked on Aria also worked on those series.
Old 2011-11-25, 23:09   Link #5
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

If you want SoL, hmmm, well there's Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh, both laid back comedic anime, as well as the first season of Clannad, which is arguably SoL as well.
Old 2011-11-25, 23:13   Link #6
Kirito
Tease to Please!♥

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Slice of Life - Toradora: Great plot, characters, main heroine is tsun but in a epic win way.

Loli+Ecchi/Borderline Hentai - Astarotte No Omocha! Loli tsun protagonist and ecchi panty shots and as a bonus, it has plenty of them in this one.

Fantasy / Magical! - Dog Days: Lots of magic, battles, and fantasy elements. It's kind of kiddish, but it really grows on you the more you watch it.

Well thoughts are my recommendations, I hope this helps!!
Old 2011-11-25, 23:18   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Slice of Life:

Bunny Drop (30 year old adopts his 7 year old aunt)
K-On (cute highschool girls do cute things)
Cross Game (has a Tsundere but not violent- other than the 2nd episode)
Sora no Manimani (Astronomy club with a minor love triangle)
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (Random comedy)

Ecchi:

Dororon Emma-kun Meeramera Indescribable.

Fantasy/Magical:

Last Exile is a great suggestion.
Tiger and Bunny While not traditional fantasy does have some steam punk elements in a superhero would that seems like a mash up of X-Men, Batman, and Lethal Weapon.
I hear Fate/Zero is good.
Mawaru Penguindrum Rock Over Japan, Rock Over. My favorite youtube comment about this clip: "Anime is saved!"
[C] - The Money and Soul of Possibility Only watched the first few episodes, but certainly has an interesting world.
Chrome Shelled Regios (Okay Felli Loss does enjoy kicking shins. But she just doesn't feel the same as most tsundere since she's an emotionally repressed stoic rather then you're typical tsundere, so I think you'd actually like her. Reminds me more of Ruri then Shana if that makes any sense.)
Angel Beats!

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-11-25, 23:22   Link #8
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Oh, and I completely forgot Happiness as a potential fantasy anime.
Old 2011-11-26, 02:42   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, seconding Dororon (the remake) for ecchi. Just insanely clever and very, very funny - Go Nagai updated for the 21st Century, but he's timeless anyway.
Old 2011-11-26, 03:48   Link #10
mecharobot

For ecchi I'd recommend Re:Cutie Honey. Short, wacky and sexy. It even has a plot.

As for other stuff: Well, Aria is one of a kind. You could watch some SoL anime that seem to meet the quota technically, but honestly it didn't work for me at least. Most other SoL tend to be 4-koma school comedies. Not to say they're bad, but those just don't seem to aim for the same kind of experience that Aria offers. I'd say, watch anime like Full Moon instead if you want to experience same kind of emotions like Aria aims to evoke.
Old 2011-11-26, 09:00   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll endorse both Usagi Drop and Ikeko Meiru no Croisee in the slice-of-life category. I'll throw in a very different show, House of Five Leaves, which has a similar feel though a very different setting. I'll also suggest Kurenai, if you didn't see it when it aired. It has a more sustained plot than traditional SOL shows, but a number of the episodes in the middle of the series have a slice-of-life feeling.
Old 2011-11-26, 12:23   Link #12
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Thanks so much for all your recommendations.

I've looked up every single one of them and have sorted them into my list according to priorities, from most promising to... well, to-be-considered or no-no.

- Ikoku Meiro no Croisee seems pretty fine. I'll give it a try.
- Nishi no Yoki Majo seems a bit odd to me but I guess I'll still try it out.
- I already have the entire K-On stuff with me and finished it. So yeah.
- But Usagi Drop!!! How did I not notice its existence?! After looking it up, I found it extremely promising!! But now that I have high expectations for it, I hope it won't disappoint when I actually watch it.
- I've already finished KissXSis. Yes, one borderline hentai it is. (Another borderline hentai I like is Koe de Oshigoto.)
- Last Exile seems like a good fantasy one for me. It'll be among my firsts to watch.
- I'll put Fate/Zero into my to-be-considered ones. I've watch FSN a long time ago and... though I didn't dislike it, I didn't like it too much either.
- Tamayura has already been on my wanted list for some time. I'm waiting for the TV series to finish airing.
- I already have Lucky Star. Like it too, since it has all the daily life things.
- Azumanga Daioh is comparable to Nichijou, both of which I have watched, and they turned out to be so-so to me. But yes, their randomness is funny.
- Clannad is... not my cup of tea. I know it has received high ratings but something just doesn't do (for me). No, not its tear-inducing elements. Something else but I don't know what.
- Toradora... Oh my gosh. No way. I don't hate Kugimiya Rie, but I hate most of the characters she plays. Like Aria of Hidan no Aria, an obvious tsundere, her look is cute but the violent tsundere-ness turned me off big time. I ended up deleting the entire series. And no, don't mention Zero no Tsukaima, the number one tsundere anime on my hated list.
- Astarotte No Omocha seems very well for the first 3 episodes that I just watched. So far so good. As long as Lotte doesn't turn physically violent, not even the slightest, I'll keep this one.
- Dog Days seems promising too. I'll give it a try.
- Cross Game... Hmm...... I'm not exactly into sports anime, but that's not the main point here. The point is that something doesn't do so well for me. I've already been recommended this anime before a few years ago, but I didn't pick it up then, and now too I won't, perhaps.
- Sora no Manimani is fine. And I already have it.
- I've watched Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru before, but somehow I don't like how they show the randomness.
- Dororon seems fine. Hope it won't disappoint.
- Tiger and Bunny also seems fine.
- Mawaru Penguindrum too seems promising. Will get it too.
- C is also fine-looking. Has gone into my list.
- Chrome Shelled Regios... Uh...... No. Any form of physical abuse, no matter the cause, turns me off. Unless the cause is a disorder, or when she isn't herself, where she doesn't get to control herself.
- Angel Beats is also one of those that "just doesn't do". Most of the time when an anime "doesn't do" for me, most probably it's more about the story than any other factor.
- Happiness is pretty good too. I'll be getting it as well.
- Re: Cutie Honey looks cliche on the surface but I'll give it a try anyway.
- Full Moon... I looked it up and found it okay, the story I mean. But judging from the story, I can sort of imagine the kind of emotions this anime would trigger, but I don't think it's gonna be similar to ARIA. ARIA is very optimistic (heck, even the setting is a utopia) and much more about little observations of little things in life, and what we can learn from those little observations and experiences. I'm not saying Full Moon is dark, but it's on a different path.
- House of Five Leaves doesn't do. The main reason is its historical setting. I didn't mention this in my 1st post, but I prefer not to have historical elements mixed in (because I'm not too interested). When I checked out Ikeko Meiru no Croisee, I also hesitated for a while there, but thinking that its story and development might satisfy me more than my lack of interest in historical stuff, I decided to give it a try. House of Five Leaves, however, isn't the case.
- I've watched Kurenai before, and its ending is a huge disappointment. And sort of lame. So I deleted it to save space. Lol.

Once again thanks to all who have recommended something.
But keep them coming!!! These aren't enough!!!
While it's fine suggesting pre-2009 anime, those post-2009 ones are preferrable, because I most probably haven't come across them since they're newer.

Last edited by Genstone; 2011-11-26 at 16:02.
Old 2011-11-27, 18:28   Link #13
Kotohono
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Kotohono Send a message via Skype™ to Kotohono
Besides already mentioned stuff for SoL:
A Channel

One recent one for "Loli + Ecchi" and no tsundere kinda of surprised it has been mentioned Ro-Kyu-Bu! 5 lolis in main cast, none of the 5 are tsundere and it's just a bit ecchi. (Though one of the non-MC is tsundere to warn...)

For Fantasy / Magical three slightly older ones:
The Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokuki
Sola
Spice and Wolf
And one recent one:
Katanagatari
MAL
Old 2011-11-27, 20:38   Link #14
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genstone View Post
T
- Cross Game... Hmm...... I'm not exactly into sports anime, but that's not the main point here. The point is that something doesn't do so well for me. I've already been recommended this anime before a few years ago, but I didn't pick it up then, and now too I won't, perhaps.
I can't help but quote a recent post from someone who had waited a while before checking it out

Quote:
From what few times it has been recommended to me, never has the person stated how "epic" it was in terms of the slice of life/romance themes. It would simply be advertised as a "cool baseball anime." Hardly appealing for me :P
As for echi lolies,has anyone mentioned Ro Byu Ku yet?That seems to fit