AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-11, 00:19   Link #1981
YF19EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
To be honest, I have to admit that I was originally skeptical about Yamato and all - I'd never seen it prior, but I wasn't really sure this would be my cuppa.

I am now converted and a true believer.
After Muv Luv I figured this should be your cup of tea.

In away I am disappointed about the lack of blog or news coverage for this series. It is truly a modern Scifi anime mixed with of 90s golden era hand drawn anime coupled to advanced CGI effects with modern story telling that does not skip or leave questions as to the plot advancement. The characters are straight to the point and not over dramatized. Their backgrounds are fresh and flushed out to the point even giving even support characters plenty of screen time and affect on the story. The mechanical and technical detail of the ships, fighters are down to rifling on the shock cannons, bolts on the side of the ship to the warnings on the side of a Cosmo Zero.

I cannot praise it enough. My only regret is not being able to go to Tokyo for each movie release!
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 00:22   Link #1982
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Preorder link for the 1/8th Akira Yamamoto

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...e=FIG-MOE-9072
Old 2013-04-11, 00:32   Link #1983
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
In away I am disappointed about the lack of blog or news coverage for this series.
The release schedule had a part in this (too many modern watchers/bloggers are used to the cour pattern now), but I think many of the younger bloggers are intimidated to even tackle a series with such a history behind it as this one, DOUBLY so because it's a reimagining.
Old 2013-04-11, 00:49   Link #1984
Ithekro
Warning

I actually want to hear what the younger ones are thinking about this show. Most of the people I hear from or see write about it are older than I am and watched it growing up as a kid, or when they were in high school. Or they are just a little younger and may not have seen it on the original run, but still saw similar shows to what I was watching.

What I want to see is how the young ones are handling this. The anime fans that have basically grown up in the 1990s or 2000s when there really were not all that many space operas on TV, and the big things were Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier.
Old 2013-04-11, 01:33   Link #1985
Beltane70

I'm curious to that myself, Ithekro. I watched the Star Blazers version of Yamato as a kid in the late 70s, quite a bit before anime started to become popular in the US. The only older Japanese show that I watched back then was Gatchaman as Battle of the Planets.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 03:55   Link #1986
Dauerlutscher
I never asked for this

Well, I'm over 30 never watched the original and I'm a big fan of this show.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 04:08   Link #1987
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
Well, I'm over 30 never watched the original and I'm a big fan of this show.
And soon, I'll be in that category as well.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 05:34   Link #1988
macdawson

What has me worried isn't the silence in the blogs, i attribute that to the fact that, even though it just started airing on TV, this is already a one year old show. What has me baffled is the silence in the official sites. No updates in the story page, no reveal on the Volume 5 Pamphlet cover (if they're still doing those), no character or mecha updates...nothing. The movie is coming out in less that 2 days (1, if you count tomorrows premiere in Premium Night), they should be buzzing and yet... nothing.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 05:45   Link #1989
Ithekro
Warning

There was some stuff today, thought it was kind of not hyped about the theaters and stuff. There was something that looks like Yuki standing in civilian clothing in a field of cherry trees. But that is the postcard series.

I was an image of Niimi on a couch, though that isn't the Pamphlet.

I actually think they spent most of their ad money on the TV launch and they might being a little thin this week due to that. Maybe they will do something tomorrow before the official release on the 13th.
Old 2013-04-11, 07:03   Link #1990
macdawson

The Niimi image has been up for a couple of weeks, it's the cover for the storyboard booklet that comes with the Limited Edition Blu-Ray, sold at theatres. The Yuki image is a postcard. My biggest fear is that they don't release the Pamphlet at all. Though there is an artbook coming in May, these were fun to collect. If it does come out, what do you think the cover will be? I'm split between an image of Balun or Beemela...though chapter 4's was from Balun...

Oh, and this thread has hit the 100 page mark! We've come a long way.
Old 2013-04-11, 12:40   Link #1991
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, as a relatively younger viewer, with no prior Yamato exposure, honestly I'm liking this show. It seems well plotted, and I particularly like the parasite craft - the fighters, the Cosmo nova, the Seagull...

I find the story easy enough to follow, and I like the pacing...

Also, DAT YUKI and DAT REI in Ep 11. Followed by DAT MELDA. Also, that woman holding hands with Domel at the graveyard, the one who looked like a Gamilan Yuki - I assume that's his wife and their at their son's grave?

Also, I predict Domel engaging in a real estate deal very soon. With the exception of Melda, every decent Gamilan officer has ended up dead.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 13:20   Link #1992
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Most watched show that "no one" is talking about.

Or as one website put it, "the best show this season, that no one is watching".
If it's getting a 5%-6% share, people are indeed watching. Or do you mean something else? Also, Bandai, who opted out of producing merchandize for YAMATO RESURRECTION (2009) and the 2010 live action film, because they were afraid of failure and poor sales, obviously have a lot of confidence in YAMATO: 2199. That, in itself, should be a telling sign.

Quote:
I actually think they spent most of their ad money on the TV launch and they might being a little thin this week due to that. Maybe they will do something tomorrow before the official release on the 13th.
The truth is that they didn't want too much conflicting information confusing the uninitiated public, so the emphasis was on the television broadcast, since they have so much riding on this — and the theatrical versions have generated enough steam and are pretty much battling 1,000 with those, so not much to worry about in that regard.

And BTW, here's a Japanese blog featuring screen captures of the first television broadcast episode of YAMATO: 2199:
http://spaceanime.blog.fc2.com/

Last edited by August138; 2013-04-11 at 14:39.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 14:48   Link #1993
Ithekro
Warning

Pretty much in the English speaking world, the show's getting minimal coverage presently. Almost no reviews on the episodes that aren't clustered together from the BD releasese, and those aren't all that common either.

Some are passing up reviewing it for somewhat silly reasons. One it that it is old content (Spring 2012 theater releases), but they didn't review them then either. Another is that they want to watch to original first and either never do, or by the time they do, the show will be "old news" and not bother with it, either.

And of course the final group is that it isn't getting broadcast with subtitles anyplace (legally, that I am aware of). And that stops the reviewers as well.

Though interestingly, in my searches, I did find that 4chan's /a/ was actually talking about it seriously for a day, when usually they don't do much with it at all, and /m/ only talks about it a little since it doesn't have giant robots. The usual /a/ conversation before would be "why can't I watch this yet" followed by them telling them to go to /m/, followed by usually nothing.

Note: I only go to 4chan these days if it pops up during a search for Yamato 2199 in the past 24 hours.
Old 2013-04-11, 15:17   Link #1994
LKK

Quote:
And of course the final group is that it isn't getting broadcast with subtitles anyplace (legally, that I am aware of). And that stops the reviewers as well.
It stops some western viewers as well. Like me.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 15:42   Link #1995
Ithekro
Warning

Even though the episodes are already subtitled direct from Japan on the Blu-ray discs. I know those are up in several places already up to episode 14 and I think some group has put up the TV episode 1, though I don't know if they added subtitles, or just used the ones from the BD synced to the TV episode, or what.

Bandai Channel is showing the episodes from what I understand, though in Japan without subtitles. http://yamato2199.net/distribution/index.html
Old 2013-04-11, 16:41   Link #1996
August138

Reviewers not doing outreach themselves is no excuse. If you want to really see something, you'll manage — I mean, how did Anime Fandom get so far in the US before the internet? (I was there, so I know.) Anyhow, I reviewed the first batch of episodes in issue #262 of "Famous Monsters of Filmland," last year (the first print article on the series outside of Japan, Google it)... while Kotaku also spotlighted and reviewed the series, here, and here. The easier it gets to obtain the series, for those who expect everything for free, then we'll start to see more talk. And probably just complaints about being so "retro."

Last edited by August138; 2013-05-21 at 14:43.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:52   Link #1997
macdawson

Some news and these are big and a bit bitter-sweet. The date, not just for the next chapter but also for the final chapter have been announced...and they're a lot sooner than we anticipated. Chapter VI - "Arrival at the Great Magelanic Cloud" will arrive on June 15th, with Bluray release on July 27th. Cover art features the great lider himself

Spoiler for Not a huge spoiler for us old fans but...:
From the preview pictures, it seems Domel's classic but chin will be making a comeback.

Gyperons geschtaming out

and (drum-roll please)... the drill missile and the first time we see the red battleship carrier (it's command tower, at least)

As for Chapter VII, which is still untitled, it will arrive on AUGUST 24... with BR release in September 25th, a full month before the most optimistic projections. The bitter-sweet part is that though i'm glad this is so it also marks the date of the end for this journey we've been doing. We can only hope the Yamato might set sail again in the near future. Here's the slipcover, no cover art yet.

On the TV front, if i'm reading this correctly, the ending sequence for the TV broadcast will be storyboarded (or illustrated?!) by manga legend Kia Asamiya.

Source
http://yamato2199.net/index.html#vol06-07mov_info

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B...=sokudokuex-22

Last edited by macdawson; 2013-04-11 at 23:11.
Old 2013-04-12, 00:35   Link #1998
Ithekro
Warning

Means the TV series will be straight through, as the last episode will come out on BR just before it come out on TV. So the fansub groups and everyone will be completely lost for three to four weeks and then, Oh theres the translations.
Old 2013-04-12, 00:39   Link #1999
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
I actually want to hear what the younger ones are thinking about this show. Most of the people I hear from or see write about it are older than I am and watched it growing up as a kid, or when they were in high school. Or they are just a little younger and may not have seen it on the original run, but still saw similar shows to what I was watching.

What I want to see is how the young ones are handling this. The anime fans that have basically grown up in the 1990s or 2000s when there really were not all that many space operas on TV, and the big things were Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier.
You're a strange one. I never want to know what some snot-nosed brats think of...well...anything.

On a less?/more? serious note, you're right that the audience seems to be skewing older for this show. Which is great. I hate the assumption a show has to garner a new audience, rather than cater to an old one.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 00:56   Link #2000
Jarmel

So is there extra content in the TV episodes? Does it matter whether I view the movies or episodes?
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato