AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-04, 15:44   Link #2441
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

Prehaps very heated. We don't quite know enough.

Though I still think the idea of trying to rename the ship "Argo" in subtitles is foolish when they clearly say "Yamato" and the name "YAMATO" is all over the ship in English.

Dubbed, that wouldn't be as much of a problem...save again that the ship's name is everywhere in English. On the uniforms. The caps. The ship's hull. The jackets. The walls. And on other things as well.

Similarly the character's names are spelled out in English from time to time on papers and video screens. I know they got around this in the orignal Star Blazers by cropping shots, editting the shot our entirely, or putting a tag over it. Though people's names didn't appear all that much in English in the orginal. In Japanese sometimes, but those were covered or cropped. The only name I remember seeing in English was the Captain's name at Hero's Hill in later productions.

There is an astounding amount of on screen English in Yamato 2199.
Old 2013-07-04, 16:52   Link #2442
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Prehaps very heated. We don't quite know enough.

Though I still think the idea of trying to rename the ship "Argo" in subtitles is foolish when they clearly say "Yamato" and the name "YAMATO" is all over the ship in English.

Dubbed, that wouldn't be as much of a problem...save again that the ship's name is everywhere in English. On the uniforms. The caps. The ship's hull. The jackets. The walls. And on other things as well.

Similarly the character's names are spelled out in English from time to time on papers and video screens. I know they got around this in the orignal Star Blazers by cropping shots, editting the shot our entirely, or putting a tag over it. Though people's names didn't appear all that much in English in the orginal. In Japanese sometimes, but those were covered or cropped. The only name I remember seeing in English was the Captain's name at Hero's Hill in later productions.

There is an astounding amount of on screen English in Yamato 2199.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
This is the worst possible outcome that could have happened ><.

Why not crunchyroll or something else that stays true to the orignal ><.

For everyone who doesn't understand the panic:
Be prepared for:

Character renames
Censoring (up to a point where whole scenes get taken out)
Renaming of the ship

Oh and don't worry about the jackets cause they will change that :/; A lot easier nowadays than back then.

Well at least that was what happened last time... they made 'Star Blazers'

Oh well I could live with the Ship being renamed Yamato is probably a word everyone will understand without problems... Character renaming or censoring though is a no-go.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2013-07-04 at 17:20.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 18:24   Link #2443
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

The 13 minute trailer (a slightly altered and subtitled set of the 6 long trailers from chapters 1 -6) does show that they haven't gotten to the point of renaming the people. Just the ship.

The only major changes I've noted aside from the shows name is the ship named called Argo in the subtitles, and the Wave Motion Engine called a Tachyon Wave Engine. I can live with a Tachyon Wave Engine I suppose.
Old 2013-07-04, 22:22   Link #2444
bumbayker

Quote:
The only major changes I've noted aside from the shows name is the ship named called Argo in the subtitles, and the Wave Motion Engine called a Tachyon Wave Engine. I can live with a Tachyon Wave Engine I suppose.
Sorry. But not for me. If Voyager Entertainment doesn't retain the name Wave Motion Engine/Gun I won't bother watching or buying their release. Wave Motion is a staple in both Yamato and Star Blazers and I can't accept it as anything else. I can somehow accept if the ship was named Argo only if it were dubbed (though grudgingly). But for subbed it's completely stupid since you can clearly hear them call it the Yamato. And I do hope they use the english subs from the original Japanese BDs since they were pretty well done.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 22:38   Link #2445
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

Could be worse. The official subtitles for Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato used "Undulation Cannon" for the Wave Motion Gun.
Old 2013-07-05, 00:37   Link #2446
Beltane70

I very much doubt that they'll censor anything. I don't see them targeting the show to young kids where they would have to edit anything out.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 02:02   Link #2447
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

That and the rules of television have changes...as have the places where a show like this could get on the air in the United States or Internationally. Network television doesn't show thing like this or even any kids programming anymore that I am aware of. That is left to various cable stations. A place like Cartoon Network could air this at whatever time they wanted and not change much of it at all.

Not sure what they would do with the scene of Yuki and Yamamoto in the baths, or Niimi exposing her bra during examination, or Melda is her underwear during a CAT scan. They probably wouldn't edit out the death and blood anymore, unless they somehow try to target the 8 year olds again as the audiance. Hopefully the studio types will at least aim for the teenagers instead of even attempting to dumb it down to children when it doesn't need to be dumbed down. Never try to unnecessarily dumb something down for children, they usually can take more than you realize.

There is presently no indication they will change the character's names at all. Just the ship. Why they'd want to do that I'm not sure in the present day. In the 1970s I could see that, but in the 2010s?
Old 2013-07-05, 04:13   Link #2448
August138

The title and promotional tools Voyager Entertainment are offering are simply a worldwide marketing campaign — to stimulate licensing deals. The tradition of Japanese companies since the 1990s is that they no longer shell out the capital to create English Dubs (some still do, like Toho), either in Japan or in Hong Kong — many times with dreadful results. More recently, companies like Bandai America and Geneon suffered the pitfalls of dubbing their product, when anime sales took a nosedive, they lost their shits and closed up shop. The Japanese have since learned that it's far cheaper to just sell the license to a foreign territory, and let them localize the series. It is my opinion that STAR BLAZERS 2199 is just a marketing ploy, and hopefully if a company such as Funimation picks it up, they will simply market the series however they want, use whatever title they want, and dub and sub it their own way. Potentially, they should have access to the current English Subtitles scripts used for the Japanese Blu-rays. But, we shall see...
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 04:28   Link #2449
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Meh. It's nostalgic but I'm sticking with the official releases.
Old 2013-07-05, 04:53   Link #2450
Vito
Asshole.

Looks like the final Yamato 2199 is getting delayed by a month (regular sales), it won't be sold in theaters either, as far as I can tell, there will be a mail order form distributed there.

http://yamato2199.net/#vol07_apology
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 09:46   Link #2451
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
The title and promotional tools Voyager Entertainment are offering are simply a worldwide marketing campaign — to stimulate licensing deals. The tradition of Japanese companies since the 1990s is that they no longer shell out the capital to create English Dubs (some still do, like Toho), either in Japan or in Hong Kong — many times with dreadful results. More recently, companies like Bandai America and Geneon suffered the pitfalls of dubbing their product, when anime sales took a nosedive, they lost their shits and closed up shop. The Japanese have since learned that it's far cheaper to just sell the license to a foreign territory, and let them localize the series. It is my opinion that STAR BLAZERS 2199 is just a marketing ploy, and hopefully if a company such as Funimation picks it up, they will simply market the series however they want, use whatever title they want, and dub and sub it their own way. Potentially, they should have access to the current English Subtitles scripts used for the Japanese Blu-rays. But, we shall see...
I'd prefer it if we would get a programm that can perfectly overlay already timed subs to an associated Blu-Ray or DVD. (Note in a way you don't need any knowlege to apply them on it)

Then people could just buy the original Versions and use those files coming from fansubbers - Would make everything a lot faster and probably better...

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2013-07-05, 14:00   Link #2452
August138

AC-Phoenix, the Japanese Blu-rays already have English Subs; so they can just buy the Japanese versions — this announcement is no guarantee that there will be any sale to the US. And if there is, it could be up to a year before we see anything happen with it — they'll need time to dub the series and then market and promote it. I've already got the Japanese Blu-rays, so I could care less about a potential US release that may or may not materialize.
Old 2013-07-05, 14:37   Link #2453
Vito
Asshole.

Yamato 2199 does keep delivering some good ol' fanservice

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-07-05, 14:46   Link #2454
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
AC-Phoenix, the Japanese Blu-rays already have English Subs; so they can just buy the Japanese versions — this announcement is no guarantee that there will be any sale to the US. And if there is, it could be up to a year before we see anything happen with it — they'll need time to dub the series and then market and promote it. I've already got the Japanese Blu-rays, so I could care less about a potential US release that may or may not materialize.
If it wasn't THAT expensive that even be aviable option :/

For comparison:

6650 JPY For Vol 6 ~ 50,7 EUR ~ 65 USD

Price here:
on Amazon ranging from 80 EUR to 130 EUR
Thats like 10.317,60 yen or 103 USD for one Blu ray.

Added to that probably comes shipping and customs :/

I see how 50EUR for a blu ray is normal but 80 is abit over the line...
Sadly there is no way here(bar a satelite which is not possible in my flat) to get japanese tv here .
I'd see how it would stack up to 80 if customs and shipping were already included though. I pretty much paid that for code geass back then >>

So yeah its probably waiting for me either way :/
(Not to mention that they are all sold out at the web shop where they are for 50 EUR)

Old 2013-07-05, 15:45   Link #2455
Vito
Asshole.

I'd buy the blurays if I could avoid local tax and duties and get the American shipping rate from Amazon Japan. But alas.
Old 2013-07-05, 15:46   Link #2456
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
Yamato 2199 does keep delivering some good ol' fanservice

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
They do like to frame shots like that.
Old 2013-07-05, 15:49   Link #2457
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
They do like to frame shots like that.
It is Xebec after all.
Old 2013-07-05, 19:15   Link #2458
August138

The price of the Japanese discs and whether one can afford it or not, isn't anyone else's fault. Since home video began in Japan, their prices have been high — this is not news. I'm not a rich man, but I knew I wanted this, and made the sacrifices to get them. In fact, I'm probably paying more for these than the prices quoted above, because I'm paying for the Theater Exclusives — which aren't discounted — and I also have to pay for my friend in Tokyo's movie ticket, as well as airmail shipping. So, as it's a collector's market, and such things are only as worth what one is willing to pay for them.
Old 2013-07-05, 19:53   Link #2459
Vito
Asshole.

Whatever, I'm willing to buy a series, but if the overhead costs are too much, I probably won't bother, and Yamato 2199 really doesn't need my help to be honest. I will probably back Little Witch Academia and buy Yuyushiki, great shows but not something people here would enjoy.

And yes, you're paying more because you want theater exclusives and you want them fast. But for those looking for a more economical option there simply isn't one, on top that even the first volumes are already missing the first pressing slipcases, so a batch buy would mean missing those, and even then those in Europe would also get hit with a customs duty fee due to exceeding 150 euros.
Old 2013-07-05, 21:08   Link #2460
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

I've managed to get one as lo ar $84 US Dollars with all shipping included. But gone as high as $99 US Dollars. Amazon Japan tends to have a discount to preorder and shipping costs between $18 and $25 US Dollars depending on the exchange rate.

Most ahve been in the $95+ range, with the price getting lower recently due to the fall of the yen.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato