AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 39 36.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 38.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 20.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.80%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-15, 00:40   Link #121
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekou View Post
By the way, since many people are calling Kiritsugu a moron for alerting Kayneth at the end, I can think of a justification. The Contender he pulled out at the end is a single-shot gun. At the very least, in real life this is because it exchanges ammunition for rifle-like accuracy and power. Thus, it's all or nothing. He's screwed if fails to at least critically injure Kayneth if not kill him.

As you may have noticed, Kayneth is immobile when he's in his mercury defense mode. Since people are speculating the bullet in the gun has strong anti-magic properties, Kiritsugu would want to make sure he hits. It would sure suck if a surprised but alert Kayneth instinctively tries to dodge or use some other magic to help him effectively do so, or even just takes a non-fatal wound and keep going. Perhaps unlikely, but we've already seen Kiritsugu isn't someone who takes chances. Thus, by alerting Kayneth and firing his machine gun as a decoy, he's making sure Kayneth just stood still with his mercury defense without making any attempts to dodge. Assuming the Contender fires anti-magic bullets, Kiritsugu would get a free, guaranteed shot.
I don't think mobility is the issue. They are, what, 3 meters away from each other? Kiritsugu should hit a fly at this range. It's unlikely that Kayneth can dodge bullets like Kenshin.

My speculation is that the mercury defense has a weakness when it attacks. So when the mercury moves to attack Kiritsugu, he can fire at Kayneth between the gap.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 01:24   Link #122
Randomzx
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
One question: Despite the high-fantasy setting of Fate/Zero, did no one actually question why the policeman actually dared touch Kayneth's mercury sphere since it is known to be a particularly dangerous chemical? :S
He was most likely being influenced by mind manipulation. Contact with the sphere is probably needed for a more specific command.
Randomzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 03:18   Link #123
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
One question: Despite the high-fantasy setting of Fate/Zero, did no one actually question why the policeman actually dared touch Kayneth's mercury sphere since it is known to be a particularly dangerous chemical? :S
I guess he skipped Chemistry classes.
__________________
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 11:01   Link #124
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Don't you think you are contradicting yourself? Kayneth cannot be a coward for taking on Einzberns and Kiritsugu on their home territory by himself. And Waver is not even seen as a threat to him.
He is attacking the Einsbern castle as sitting around almost got him killed. Even his wife called him a coward for not showing himself in that Meet and Greet . He is a cornered animal as shown with the guy touching his ball. And cornered animals lash out.

Besides Saber is distracted with Caster at the moment. Over confident he is properly prepared.

Kayneth El Melloi's pride is also his weakpoint. He doesn't like admitting those who go against conventional mage traditions could be better than he is. Which is why he humiliated Waver and wants to kill Einsbern master that resorts to dirty tricks. Unlike Tokiomi-Kirei alliance he doesn't know who he is dealing with.

Heck even Iskandar called him coward unfit to be his master.

Pride with fear is a combination that can get him killed.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 11:59   Link #125
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
He is attacking the Einsbern castle as sitting around almost got him killed. Even his wife called him a coward for not showing himself in that Meet and Greet . He is a cornered animal as shown with the guy touching his ball. And cornered animals lash out.

Besides Saber is distracted with Caster at the moment. Over confident he is properly prepared.

Kayneth El Melloi's pride is also his weakpoint. He doesn't like admitting those who go against conventional mage traditions could be better than he is. Which is why he humiliated Waver and wants to kill Einsbern master that resorts to dirty tricks. Unlike Tokiomi-Kirei alliance he doesn't know who he is dealing with.

Heck even Iskandar called him coward unfit to be his master.

Pride with fear is a combination that can get him killed.
He is proud, yes. It is quite evident. He is also not very well-prepared to face Kiritsugu. His judgement is questionable at times.

But to call him a coward is wrong. You cannot base your opinion on what characters say. Iskander was reckless and defied common-sense. Sola was likely attracted by Lancer's curse and wanted to back Lancer when Kayneth scolded him. It is common for masters to hide for safety of themselves. Did you forget Kiritsugu was also hiding during the "Meet and Greet"? Meanwhile Tokiomi has not even stepped outside his house.

As I said before, if Kayneth truly feared the Einzberns, he would have brought Lancer along with him to storm the castle. He cannot be both overconfident and scared.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 12:30   Link #126
giorno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
He is attacking the Einsbern castle as sitting around almost got him killed.
he is attacking the Einzbern castle because it's a good opportunity to capture lrisviel

Quote:
Even his wife called him a coward for not showing himself in that Meet and Greet .
pft. As if...

Quote:
He is a cornered animal as shown with the guy touching his ball. And cornered animals lash out.
No, he isn't cornered at all, he commanded the guy to take the ball away because he and Sola were inside a freaking mercury ball in the middle of the street surrounded by ordinary people. And There's a masquerade to be kept

Quote:
Besides Saber is distracted with Caster at the moment. Over confident he is properly prepared.
He sent Lancer to deal with Caster, when he could have sent Lancer to kill Kiritsugu. With Saber in that condition, even if Kiritsugu managed to use a command spell to summon her to his side, the battle would've still been overwhelmingly in Lancer's favour, he actually would have very likely killed BOTH saber and her master right there, in fact...

Quote:
He doesn't like admitting those who go against conventional mage traditions could be better than he is. Which is why he humiliated Waver and wants to kill Einsbern master that resorts to dirty tricks.
lol no. He humiliated Waver because he truly believed Waver's paper to be utter bullshit(and thus, Waver to be a moron who deserved to be humiliated), and he doesn't even see Kiritsugu as a threat precisely because Kiritsugu is resorting to traps and modern weapons instead of fighting him head on with magecraft like a magus would.

Quote:
Heck even Iskandar called him coward unfit to be his master.
Iskander said that for Waver...also...he's Iskander...

Quote:
Pride with fear is a combination that can get him killed.
except he doesn't have an ounce of fear at all. He fully believes that him winning the HGW is merely a natural conclusion, because, well, that's how it's always been for him(he is one of the most powerful magi in the world)...
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 14:44   Link #127
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekou View Post
By the way, since many people are calling Kiritsugu a moron for alerting Kayneth at the end, I can think of a justification. The Contender he pulled out at the end is a single-shot gun. At the very least, in real life this is because it exchanges ammunition for rifle-like accuracy and power. Thus, it's all or nothing. He's screwed if fails to at least critically injure Kayneth if not kill him.

As you may have noticed, Kayneth is immobile when he's in his mercury defense mode. Since people are speculating the bullet in the gun has strong anti-magic properties, Kiritsugu would want to make sure he hits. It would sure suck if a surprised but alert Kayneth instinctively tries to dodge or use some other magic to help him effectively do so, or even just takes a non-fatal wound and keep going. Perhaps unlikely, but we've already seen Kiritsugu isn't someone who takes chances. Thus, by alerting Kayneth and firing his machine gun as a decoy, he's making sure Kayneth just stood still with his mercury defense without making any attempts to dodge. Assuming the Contender fires anti-magic bullets, Kiritsugu would get a free, guaranteed shot.
Yeah, I also took Kiritsugu warning Kayneth as him wanting to lure him into a false sense of security by first firing expectedly ineffective regular bullets, and then, once his opponent believes himself to be absolutely protected against the onslaught, utilise the special gun for a basically guaranteed hit. So yeah, not a case of plot induced stupidity in order to prolong the fight at all.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 15:51   Link #128
jonli
JONLIの憂'
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Is it just me but wouldn't the mercury poison Kayneth and his wife too? That's an awful lot of mercury and to be in close contact with it...you know...kind of bad. I mean he is a magus and all but, they're human no?

There's something that I think I missed. I thought they have Irisviel hang out with Saber in public so people would think she was Saber's master, so Kiritsugu can catch people off guard no? It seems in here that Kayneth and Kotomine obviously know who's the real master behind Saber.
__________________
Oh~ Baby! Shalalalala~ Shalala in the morning~ OH! BABY!
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 16:13   Link #129
Xacual
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Is it just me but wouldn't the mercury poison Kayneth and his wife too? That's an awful lot of mercury and to be in close contact with it...you know...kind of bad. I mean he is a magus and all but, they're human no?

There's something that I think I missed. I thought they have Irisviel hang out with Saber in public so people would think she was Saber's master, so Kiritsugu can catch people off guard no? It seems in here that Kayneth and Kotomine obviously know who's the real master behind Saber.
They don't, at least not yet. Kotomine and Kayneth think that Irisviel is the master and that Kiritsugu is like a hired gun to make sure she wins.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 17:15   Link #130
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Yeah, I also took Kiritsugu warning Kayneth as him wanting to lure him into a false sense of security by first firing expectedly ineffective regular bullets, and then, once his opponent believes himself to be absolutely protected against the onslaught, utilise the special gun for a basically guaranteed hit. So yeah, not a case of plot induced stupidity in order to prolong the fight at all.
Right, although you don't even need to think twice about that in fact: Kiritsugu had an obvious grin when pulling his contender, which spells a very obvious "just as planned".
It is hard to think it as a "bad move" when the said character was indeed hardly leaving things to random occurence, so each move has a certain motive.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 17:43   Link #131
jonli
JONLIの憂'
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
They don't, at least not yet. Kotomine and Kayneth think that Irisviel is the master and that Kiritsugu is like a hired gun to make sure she wins.
This leads me to wonder why they used Irisviel and not say...Maya? Isn't it too dangerous to use Irisviel because she's his wife? Why put her in danger? Isnt she also valuable to the Einzburns?
__________________
Oh~ Baby! Shalalalala~ Shalala in the morning~ OH! BABY!
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 17:55   Link #132
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
This leads me to wonder why they used Irisviel and not say...Maya? Isn't it too dangerous to use Irisviel because she's his wife? Why put her in danger? Isnt she also valuable to the Einzburns?
because Maya is 1. not a mage, 2. not a Einzburn. It would have been too obvious Maya is not sabers real master.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 17:55   Link #133
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
This leads me to wonder why they used Irisviel and not say...Maya? Isn't it too dangerous to use Irisviel because she's his wife? Why put her in danger? Isnt she also valuable to the Einzburns?
Well, putting her in danger is one of the things that causes Kiritsugu grief. And they can't use Maya because she isn't a magus. Much more believable to have Iri act as the master.
__________________
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 18:07   Link #134
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
because Maya is 1. not a mage, 2. not a Einzburn. It would have been too obvious Maya is not sabers real master.
And 3. who the hell is Maya? No one gonna buy she's Einzbern master. At least Kiritsugu have certain reputation, n that's why he want to stay unknown.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 20:28   Link #135
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Is it just me but wouldn't the mercury poison Kayneth and his wife too? That's an awful lot of mercury and to be in close contact with it...you know...kind of bad. I mean he is a magus and all but, they're human no?
You've pretty much answered your own question there.

Name me a mercury that can expand into the size of a small boulder from a small vial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
There's something that I think I missed. I thought they have Irisviel hang out with Saber in public so people would think she was Saber's master, so Kiritsugu can catch people off guard no? It seems in here that Kayneth and Kotomine obviously know who's the real master behind Saber.
Not every mage came with the same level of preparation that the Einzbern and Tohsaka had, where they've... you know, done significant background checks on their opponent. And then there's the matter of resources to achieve those as well.

Waver probably doesn't have the influence or monetary power to find anything significant on his opponents, for one. Kariya doesn't have the time, nor the strength to even bother about it.

Kayneth probably knows the Tohsakas and the Einzberns in general from his position as a lecturer, but never did any concrete or in-depth research into them beyond "Einzbern were alchemy-based magus', etc. Basically confidence in his own ability that he never felt the need to be Batman prepared for his opponents.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 20:29   Link #136
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
You've pretty much answered your own question there.

Name me a mercury that can expand into the size of a small boulder from a small vial.



Not every mage came with the same level of preparation that the Einzbern and Tohsaka had, where they've... you know, done significant background checks on their opponent. And then there's the matter of resources to achieve those as well.

Waver probably doesn't have the influence or monetary power to find anything significant on his opponents, for one. Kariya doesn't have the time, nor the strength to even bother about it.
Kariya also doesn't care about any master other then Tohsaka.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 20:30   Link #137
hyl
Hello, again
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Kariya also doesn't care about any master other then Tohsaka.
Technically yes, but he does need to beat every other master to save Sakura. So he should care / pay attention about the other masters.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 08:59   Link #138
giorno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
This leads me to wonder why they used Irisviel and not say...Maya? Isn't it too dangerous to use Irisviel because she's his wife? Why put her in danger? Isnt she also valuable to the Einzburns?
Because Irisviel is recognizable as the einzbern master by every other master, because irisviel is a better magus than Maya(better support for saber with her healing magic), because Irisviel fits better with saber(as you've noticed, Maya is pretty much emotionless kinda like a female Kiritsugu) and lastly, because Kiritsugu needs Maya's help behind the scenes

the other reason will be revealed later on in the story(though if you're familiar with FSN you can probably make a good guess)
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 12:09   Link #139
Kaiba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Technically yes, but he does need to beat every other master to save Sakura. So he should care / pay attention about the other masters.
Kariya's perfectly happy to just sit it out, conserve his energy ( which he needs every bit of), and let all the other masters kill each other. This is obviously not including Tohsaka, and we do know that he was angry at Berserker for attacking Saber.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 16:40   Link #140
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Is it just me but wouldn't the mercury poison Kayneth and his wife too? That's an awful lot of mercury and to be in close contact with it...you know...kind of bad. I mean he is a magus and all but, they're human no?

Well you just got to suspend your belief, because obviously such a situation is unplausible and dangerous. Maybe there is some invisible element that is protecting them, I don't know.

When I think about it Kayneth's powers remind me of water bending from Avatar, just with mercury (a much more deadly material).
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.