AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-31, 05:57   Link #1081
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Tetsurou is a spineless tit. I almost cannot believe Kaito left him in the dust as far as acts of manliness go. Not just left him to linger in the dust but smoked him into bits and pieces. Kanna deserves much, much better. You can call it saltiness, but his actions (or lack of action) are textbook examples of typical anime male behaviour and it's getting quite insufferable. Good ending despite my utter contempt for him though. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch Ano Hana.
Wait wait wait, seriously?... Tetsurou manned up and confessed to Kanna. Kanna later pretty much rejected him by pushing him to Mio. What EXACTLY did you expect him to do? Could you please present some actual explanations? Otherwise this reads like a complete fanboy rant.

Even the fact that in the end he is not with Mio (yet) makes sense because after such a short time it would make his feelings for Kanna seem weak and Mio a rebound. I think him asking Mio to have a date in the future was a nice, yet subtle, hint that he is willing to explore whether he can fall for her as well.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 08:10   Link #1082
CWW
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I may have exaggerated, but Kaito and Kanna confessed too and they didn't step down at the drop of a fly. It's not like Kanna outright rejected him after his confession. He just gave up because she still has lingering feelings for Kaito. Well, no shit after what she's been through. For some reason, Tetsurou didn't pick this up and think: "Maybe what Kanna needs right now is some time to get over Kaito." Instead he encouraged her to confess to Kaito, even though Kaito and Ichika were already officially dating at the time.

Compounded is the well-documented fact that Mio is a real creep, the most blatant example being that she was there when he confessed to Kanna and was likely eavesdropping. She then struck like a predator on a wounded cub. That he's so dense he doesn't notice this bothers me. Not that I expect him to make a big fuss about it, but putting some distance between yourself and your stalker seems appropriate. Well, maybe they're made for each other. I don't really care who he ends up with as long as it's not Kanna.

At least Kaito and Ichika saved the romance of this show by being unwavering.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 10:26   Link #1083
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Tetsuro encouraged Kanna to confess to Kaito because he knew that's what she needed the most to get over Kaito.

Mio was probably there because she wanted to help Tetsuro. There's nothing to indicate that she was taking advantage his pain to win browny points. Tetsuro didn't notice it because it wasn't there.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 13:06   Link #1084
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
Frankly, I dont see whats wrong with Mio eavesdropping on Tetsurou and Kanna. It is in her interest to know, what is going on. If it is an issue whether this is something you should or shouldnt do.... ah well, maybe it isnt the nicest thing in the world, but honestly I dont blame Mio for wanting to know how things stand.

I also dont see what is wrong with Tetsuro realizing, that Kanna is just not interested and thats that. Why should he forcibly run after her and push his feelings to her face. Not interested is not interested. There comes a point when you have to accept it and move on and thats what Tetsuro did.

Oh CWW, I dont see you complaining about Kanna ..... she did the same thing with Kaito, didnt she? Kaito loved Ichika, Kanna accepted that fact even though it hurt her terribly and even helped them to come together. If we are going to diss Tetsuro for not being consistent in his feelings and not fighting for Kanna.... then what should we think of Kannas behaviour?
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 19:35   Link #1085
CWW
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
What? They're not even remotely on the same level. The only parellel you can draw is that they're both unselfish, but unlike Kanna, Tetsurou has a defeatist attitude.

Maybe I should explain it in more detail lest I be tarred and feathered again. Kanna wasn't dating someone when Tetsurou confessed to her. Kaito was dating someone when Kanna confessed to him. Maybe she should have done it before he got hooked up, but the circumstances didn't allow for it over the course of the show and Kaito is apparently quite thick. His answer would probably be the same anyway in the period after Kaito met Ichika.

Tetsurou gave her encouraging words while fully knowing that Kaito is already taken. He wanted to get it off his chest and... that's it. No follow-up. Kanna didn't even say no to his confession. She was just shocked at his feelings and the timing of it all. He must know that Kanna isn't going to have a crush on Kaito forever. Maybe not after what he's done to botch everything up.

Mio on the other hand is selfish, at least not as considerate of the welfare of others as those two. This is completely fine, love is a battlefield etc., but the way she did it to get her man smack me as backhanded. Feel free to disagree.

...This is waaaaaay too much thought spent on something that has robot vans and men in black.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 03:54   Link #1086
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
I see your point, I dont quite agree with it.... but there is some logic to it.

But my main problem with this entire issue is, that neither Kanna, nor Tetsuro should have confessed their feelings to a person who obviously is not interested. It just creates tension and complicates everything.

But it would seem it is the japanese culture to always confess your feelings to the person you love even though there is no point to it. What they are trying to achieve with it is beyond my ability to understand and I stopped trying to figure it out too.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 04:27   Link #1087
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
But my main problem with this entire issue is, that neither Kanna, nor Tetsuro should have confessed their feelings to a person who obviously is not interested. It just creates tension and complicates everything.
In my personal experience the opposite was true,not saying it created tension because I was starting to build delusions in my head thinking that maybe she'd be interested and she could tell something was up with me so things started getting awkward,when I finaly confessed and got rejected I could move on,I was of course disappointed but then relieved,it was pressure off my back because in a way I didn't have to keep something secret from her like I had to.

So the Kana confession scene was actualy one of my favorites in the show because I could totally relate to Kanna.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 05:07   Link #1088
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
He must know that Kanna isn't going to have a crush on Kaito forever. Maybe not after what he's done to botch everything up.
Huh? He doesn't pursue her further because he knows of Kanna's unwavering love for Kaito. And he doesn't go out with anyone else because of his love for Kanna. Shows like this and AnoHana tends to have all the characters with "unwavering" love which is destructive to all characters except the two main characters in love. All the characters lose except for Ichika and Kaito.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
But it would seem it is the japanese culture to always confess your feelings to the person you love even though there is no point to it. What they are trying to achieve with it is beyond my ability to understand and I stopped trying to figure it out too.
It's not a Japanese cultural thing. It's about clearing your conscience; it's better to do something rather than regretting about doing nothing.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 07:55   Link #1089
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post

It's not a Japanese cultural thing. It's about clearing your conscience; it's better to do something rather than regretting about doing nothing.
Why would you regret anything, if you know the person you love is not interested. Do you think you can change this fact by confessing? NO

So whats the point in confessing other making a fool of yourself, getting unnecessarily rejected, because it was obvious you would get rejected..... and causing a mess because of your pointless confessions.

Its not like everybody must be delighted, if you love them, but they cant love you back. In fact, this is a very unpleasant experience.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 08:34   Link #1090
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
^Do agree. Had a small crush on my classmate once but never confessed about it and don't regret it. He never saw me more as a friend and now we live in different countries. My confession wouldn't do a thing, it probably would make the whole situation awkward. Was a bit depressing but I got over it.

It depends on the person, some need to get it out to move on and some are able to stay quiet and still move on. Tetsuro decided to confess in the end and with that he moved on. Mio was always supporting Tetsuro despite her feelings. Now that things came crashing and she saw the real opportunity, she took action. See nothing wrong there.

I would hate if Tetsuro would become pushy with his feelings towards Kanna. I really get annoyed when people start to push their feelings on you in hopes that something will change. If I don't like you then I don't and no matter how much you confess it won't change. It actually will make me more annoyed with the person.

Truthfully I enjoyed side romance far more than main. Am not fan of Kaito, duno why so many girls are after him. Both Tetsuro and Kaito are nice people but Tetsuro looks much better.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 10:34   Link #1091
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Why would you regret anything, if you know the person you love is not interested. Do you think you can change this fact by confessing? NO

So whats the point in confessing other making a fool of yourself, getting unnecessarily rejected, because it was obvious you would get rejected..... and causing a mess because of your pointless confessions.

Its not like everybody must be delighted, if you love them, but they cant love you back. In fact, this is a very unpleasant experience.
This probably depends on the way you were raised and the culture you grew up with. In Japan though, aside from hitting on girls on the street (nanpa), confessing can be procedural (love letters, Valentine's Day chocolate) OR it can be much more complicated by heightening your senses, pleasing the other party in subtle ways, giving barely noticable hints of your feelings. Likewise, the other party must pick up on your intentions and give his or her answer in the same subtle manner, be it positive or negative.

The whole point of this is to avoid direct confrontation. What you see in these anime shows is fiction, something that will rarely happen in real life. Confessing is either procedural (Japanese conformity to rules) or very subtle (avoiding conflict, maintaining wa). Why Ano Natsu de Matteru is such a pleasing show to watch is because characters are encouraged to let their feelings out. They don't ruin their social image, they remain friends, and they feel better afterwards. Confessing to someone you love who is already in love with someone else might be seen as a selfish act (wagamama) in Japanese society because you disrupt social balance. This kind of behaviour is anti-cultural for Japan.

NatsuMachi is a feel good anime because it says it's OK to be selfish when you're in love. You can blame the characters all you want, but I suspect that's what the show was trying to say to us.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 10:57   Link #1092
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Why would you regret anything, if you know the person you love is not interested. Do you think you can change this fact by confessing? NO

So whats the point in confessing other making a fool of yourself, getting unnecessarily rejected, because it was obvious you would get rejected..... and causing a mess because of your pointless confessions.
I would agree, but only from the perspective of the target of the said confession. It is only from his his/her point of view what you describe. On the other hand, being honest and clearing out ambiguous relationships is what the other side needs to move forward. Of course this is usually inconvenient for the target of the confession, since their rejection could cost them a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Its not like everybody must be delighted, if you love them, but they cant love you back. In fact, this is a very unpleasant experience.
But indeed it is an unpleasant situation, that is not subject (or even can be brought under the control) of reason. And the various ways to deal with it would have been an excellent theme for the show, instead of repeating what Onegai Sensei did better a decade ago
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 11:12   Link #1093
warita
Dai-Youkai
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vienna
From the replies above I see, that it obviously depends on the character of the person. Its like Kitten said, some people need to get it out of the system to move on and some prefer to just accept things and move on in silence.

I am the second type. I have been unhappily in love a few times in my life and saw how pointless it was. The guy either had a girlfriend or was completely oblivious to my feelings.... and at some point, I reached the realization that it isnt going anywhere, I am just suffering and it is time to move on, which I did in the end.

As a matter of fact, I dont say "I love you" right in the beginning of a relationship even when I know the feelings are mutual. It takes a while for me to feel comfortable enough in a relationship to open my heart to the person I love. I cannot imagine walking up to somebody and confessing, without dating that person for some time first.

So, it may well be, that this is a question of culture and personality. Its just I have seen this in a lot of animes (but less so in RL) and I consider it a japanese cultural quirk.

Quote:
Why Ano Natsu de Matteru is such a pleasing show to watch is because characters are encouraged to let their feelings out. NatsuMachi is a feel good anime because it says it's OK to be selfish when you're in love.
Cyth, well OK, but a lot of love anime offer the same, so AnoNatsu is not very special in this respect.

And I strongly disagree that it is OK to be selfish, when in love. A healthy ammount of selfishness never harmed anybody, but contrary to the common belief I dont think that just about anything is excusable on the grounds of that you are in love. Now, that is my humble opinion, everybody is free to disagree with me. :P
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 09:32   Link #1094
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Why would you regret anything, if you know the person you love is not interested. Do you think you can change this fact by confessing? NO

So whats the point in confessing other making a fool of yourself, getting unnecessarily rejected, because it was obvious you would get rejected..... and causing a mess because of your pointless confessions.

Its not like everybody must be delighted, if you love them, but they cant love you back. In fact, this is a very unpleasant experience.
Consider the possibility that not only your opinions but your personal experience may differ from other people as well.

Regretting because of a missed opportunity by being passive is very real, and believe it or not, confessing just to get it off your chest is also a geniune feeling. While your logic is sound, it is not absolute. We are dealing with human emotions, not pure reason.


Personally, I have confessed to an unrequited love, and yes, I did feel a lot better that I did. What Tetsurou, Kanna, and Mio did were hardly unnatural.


On a side note, kudos to the animation studio for making the MIB base look close to how it was in the movies. If Will Smith made a cameo, then it would have been perfect.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 03:22   Link #1095
arkxkra
全力全開
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Non-management 97th world
seriously lol at the MIB.
and the memory of the lake, very familiar, the voice sound like Mizuho from Onegai Sensei?

Im glad that at the end Ichika and Kaito manage to meet again.

Overall the anime was well done, love it.
__________________
arkxkra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 05:13   Link #1096
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkxkra View Post
and the memory of the lake, very familiar, the voice sound like Mizuho from Onegai Sensei?
Yeap. Its definitely her.
__________________
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 17:03   Link #1097
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkxkra View Post
seriously lol at the MIB.
and the memory of the lake, very familiar, the voice sound like Mizuho from Onegai Sensei?

Im glad that at the end Ichika and Kaito manage to meet again.

Overall the anime was well done, love it.
Love may be toooo much but it was a good one
__________________
Thanks to The Chaos
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 04:02   Link #1098
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Getting there
Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Spoiler for Nyantype - nsfw:


Spoiler for Megami:
__________________

Last edited by Ravenblitz; 2012-04-28 at 06:20.
Ravenblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 10:46   Link #1099
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
that star.

And the 2nd pic reminds me of Guilty Crown art. Is that redjuice?
__________________
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 11:26   Link #1100
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
I want that car. Looks badass!

Spoiler for pic:
__________________
Solafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.