AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-05, 02:29   Link #101
SinsI
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Yeah, quite a revelation. How did Diao get chainmail? That's usually reserved for the ultra-rich nobles, and she is from a poor village. Btw, women wearing chainmail is often seen in Chinese old setting series/movies. Which reminds me, it is now confirmed that Diao is female, with the dress and Bi's reaction to undressing her (how will she get married now? He has "shamed" her. )

I know it is shounen, but how the heck did Xin move again? I know if I was in that state, at most, I can probably only wriggle my fingers slowly.

Overall, nice episode, but bad CGI.
Well, Ten was living in a village of thieves and criminals, and they are a little better off than commoners. Also, please note that like every single regular soldier is wearing scale mail, so armor should not be expensive at all.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 03:14   Link #102
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I doubt getting first aid is considered being shamed.

Besides she's an orphan of no standing. The brothels would be a bigger worry for her than getting married.
Well, in the olden days with Chinese culture, being seen nude by another man no matter the reason causes shame to the woman, and the guy has to take responsibility or else no one else will be willing to marry her (I think exception is a doctor, but I'm not sure).

However, since this is Japanese anime that is modernized for today's viewers, that little tidbit should be able to slide.

So who do you think she will most likely end up hooking up with? Xin or Zheng? Considering that she is not of noble birth (as far as we know), I think it is Xin who she ends up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
Well, Ten was living in a village of thieves and criminals, and they are a little better off than commoners. Also, please note that like every single regular soldier is wearing scale mail, so armor should not be expensive at all.
Soldiers wear armor provided by the treasury of the Empire. However, almost all normal citizens do not wear armor. It is not something cheap to make, and chain mail is even more complex. Even in a village of thieves and criminals, they are not likely to be that rich. Hence, Diao wanted all that money for helping out Zheng. I'm just going to guess that it was passed down from her parents.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 03:41   Link #103
SinsI
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Soldiers wear armor provided by the treasury of the Empire. However, almost all normal citizens do not wear armor. It is not something cheap to make, and chain mail is even more complex. Even in a village of thieves and criminals, they are not likely to be that rich. Hence, Ten wanted all that money for helping out Ei Sei. I'm just going to guess that it was passed down from her parents.
So, if they rob a merchant family and get some good combat gear, including a child-sized chain mail, are they just going to sell it all off? Knowing that in their business it can mean life or death difference? Tools of the trade are last thing you are going to sell. Besides, the market for second-hand child armor should be almost nonexistent, as it is too luxurious for any commoner, and a rich guys would probably go with a new made-to-order one.
And from the looks of it, the author named it wrong - it is not a chain mail but a lamellar armor or coat of plates, common among the Qin era soldiers.
As for not everyone wearing armor - those are crossbowmen conscripts that simply have no need for close-combat armor that weren't wearing it (as crossbow bolts easily penetrate armor from that age, and they are not proficient in hand-to-hand combat anyway).
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 08:20   Link #104
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
.

So who do you think she will most likely end up hooking up with? Xin or Zheng? Considering that she is not of noble birth (as far as we know), I think it is Xin who she ends up with.
Neither. Zheng's court would chew her up and spit her out. She hasn't been taught to act like a lady. Xin would want the exact same thing, a lady. She's prob going down the merchant route. She's a bro to them.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 21:23   Link #105
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Neither. Zheng's court would chew her up and spit her out. She hasn't been taught to act like a lady. Xin would want the exact same thing, a lady. She's prob going down the merchant route. She's a bro to them.
I'm not sure about Xin wanting a lady, since he himself is not of noble birth. He probably feels more comfortable with Diao. Also, like Xin, Diao will have to eventually learn how to deal with the court. I don't think it is a far stretch that she eventually learns.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 21:45   Link #106
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
I'm not sure about Xin wanting a lady, since he himself is not of noble birth. He probably feels more comfortable with Diao. Also, like Xin, Diao will have to eventually learn how to deal with the court. I don't think it is a far stretch that she eventually learns.
It's a far stretch as a court wouldn't want to deal with her. (They would react like Zheng's half-brother.) Do you really think that she's educated being where she was? I'd be very surprised if she could read. And...once Xin gets to general stage, he's gonna want a court lady.

http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/ps/cup...dmonitions.pdf (pages 2-5). Diao is not wife material.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 22:15   Link #107
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It's a far stretch as a court wouldn't want to deal with her. (They would react like Zheng's half-brother.) Do you really think that she's educated being where she was? I'd be very surprised if she could read. And...once Xin gets to general stage, he's gonna want a court lady.

http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/ps/cup...dmonitions.pdf (pages 2-5). Diao is not wife material.
From that quote, I thought that Ban Zhao was who Diao was based off of.

The court is supposed to be changing, and I'm sure Xin will clash with a lot of the court. Besides, how do you think they will react to Yang Duan He? She will probably be one of the great generals of the court, and she is a mountain folk, who the court nobles think are monkey people.

Also, I don't see why Xin would want a court lady. They are usually manipulative and talk in ways that Xin probably cannot even understand. Besides, Diao is very young right now. She has potential to still learn the ways of the court by the time she comes of age.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 09:02   Link #108
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
From that quote, I thought that Ban Zhao was who Diao was based off of.

The court is supposed to be changing, and I'm sure Xin will clash with a lot of the court. Besides, how do you think they will react to Yang Duan He? She will probably be one of the great generals of the court, and she is a mountain folk, who the court nobles think are monkey people.

Also, I don't see why Xin would want a court lady. They are usually manipulative and talk in ways that Xin probably cannot even understand. Besides, Diao is very young right now. She has potential to still learn the ways of the court by the time she comes of age.
The lady in the quote got married at age 14. Diao is approaching that age now prob based on the view of her without the brush covering (Tanner 3 prob). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanner_scale I'm betting she's 13 yo. The brush was prob to hide the fact that she's female since she would have been sold off if someone had found out in that village.

Yang Duan He prob goes back to her people when all this is over.

Xin has to also fit in if he's going to rise to general status. Therefore, he's prob going to marry someone in the court. Marriages back then were also strategic alliances.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 10:53   Link #109
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Just started watching this. Don't really want to beat up a dead horse but the animations of the characters really are jarring. They are floaty and stiff and out of sync with the backgrounds and voiceovers at times. It's like watching a badly done hand puppet show. That's CG using technology from around 1995, definitely not indicative of what's possible using CG today. But the plot more than makes up for it so it's definitely worth watching.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 12:10   Link #110
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Just started watching this. Don't really want to beat up a dead horse but the animations of the characters really are jarring. They are floaty and stiff and out of sync with the backgrounds and voiceovers at times. It's like watching a badly done hand puppet show. That's CG using technology from around 1995, definitely not indicative of what's possible using CG today. But the plot more than makes up for it so it's definitely worth watching.
Well put. But I think the show would never have been made if they had to go with more expensive animation. And, as I've said before, I can easily get over the awkwardness for the sake of the story.
___________

I'm not very familiar with how swords were thought of in ancient times in China, but the stuff in ep 14 about the man and the sword sounds awfully Japanese to me.
__________________
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nobunaga the Fool | Nisekoi | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 16:40   Link #111
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The lady in the quote got married at age 14. Diao is approaching that age now prob based on the view of her without the brush covering (Tanner 3 prob). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanner_scale I'm betting she's 13 yo. The brush was prob to hide the fact that she's female since she would have been sold off if someone had found out in that village.

Yang Duan He prob goes back to her people when all this is over.

Xin has to also fit in if he's going to rise to general status. Therefore, he's prob going to marry someone in the court. Marriages back then were also strategic alliances.

Well, we will see what happens. This is anime, which is Japanese made, not Chinese, so storylines and customs could differ on how it is presented.

Btw, Yang Duan He is a famous general, although it is possible she goes back to her people, I'm sure she will remain relevant with the story and the court.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 18:35   Link #112
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Xin? Marrying? Hell's gonna freeze over before that happens. Especially a political marriage. No way, not with his personality. In real life it would make sense maybe but this is anime.

I can see Zheng marrying easily, though.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 22:05   Link #113
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Well, we will see what happens. This is anime, which is Japanese made, not Chinese, so storylines and customs could differ on how it is presented.
If that's the case, then he will eventually get married. One of the things he was wishing for was becoming a general and then having the money, concubines...

http://www.georgeaugustkoch.com/writings/japan.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Btw, Yang Duan He is a famous general, although it is possible she goes back to her people, I'm sure she will remain relevant with the story and the court.
And most likely male and not the ruler of the mountain people. Liberties were definitely taken here. If they stay close to history, they'll have to do some plot acrobatics to make it work.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 10:39   Link #114
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
As for Yang Duanhe 楊端和, I just checked Chinese Wikipedia and the Baidu encyclopedia, and neither mentions him being female, or being associated with mountain people. According to the ancient history book Historical Records (Shi Ji 史记), he was a Qin general who took part in the wars that unified China under the First Emperor.
__________________
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nobunaga the Fool | Nisekoi | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-09-07 at 13:59.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 05:10   Link #115
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Try to have a discussion on an almost dead thread, and people neg rep you for it? Way to go to encourage discussion. I'm signing out of this thread.

One last comment. The series has already taken a lot of liberties on the backgrounds and characters, and it is all to make this more entertaining. However, I'm also pretty sure that they will keep a good portion of the historical accuracy in place.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 11:49   Link #116
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Try to have a discussion on an almost dead thread, and people neg rep you for it? Way to go to encourage discussion. I'm signing out of this thread.

One last comment. The series has already taken a lot of liberties on the backgrounds and characters, and it is all to make this more entertaining. However, I'm also pretty sure that they will keep a good portion of the historical accuracy in place.
Aw, don't leave yet. I enjoyed our discussions.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 14:16   Link #117
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Try to have a discussion on an almost dead thread, and people neg rep you for it? Way to go to encourage discussion. I'm signing out of this thread....
Please don't go just because someone overuses neg rep. I'm sure this thread isn't going to turn into a neg rep festival, like some others (especially shipping wars).

That being said, I can't see marriage becoming much of a factor in this story, for anyone but the Emperor-to-be, if even him. Hard to imagine either Shin or owl-girl as anyone's marriage partner, especially at this higher level of society. But it would be interesting.
__________________
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nobunaga the Fool | Nisekoi | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 22:29   Link #118
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
So owl-boy turned owl-girl but wait, I need a confirmation. What she needs is a total make-over complete with flowery background walking down the cat walk in slow-mo so I can see Shin and young King dropping their jaws to the floor.
__________________
"I have a dream..."
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 19:47   Link #119
gunrik
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
It will be weird having xin and the "owl-girl" living together in that small house.
__________________
Trade 1% of your pc processing power for money, easy and fast. Register here and start
gunrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 19:26   Link #120
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrik View Post
It will be weird having xin and the "owl-girl" living together in that small house.
I don't think Diao can hide the fact from Xin that she is a girl for long...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, drama, fantasy, historical, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.