AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-16, 19:41   Link #1
Mitsuke

I love Death Note. Anything similar?

Hi there. I'm new here. Yoroshiku.

I love Death Note a lot and looking for animes similar to it. My husband and I just started watching amimes on Netflix. We have streaming and DVD access.

I'm looking for something cerebral, cynical and dark. Set in Tokyo is a plus. We also like to watch it in Japanese with English subtitle but it doesn't matter too much.

So far we also liked Speed Grapher and Darker than Black. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 2011-11-16, 20:08   Link #2
kitten320

Hmmm... well here are the following seriouse titles. Some are better than others. Nothing exactly like Death Note really exists so hopefully these shows will be of satisfaction:

Aoi Bungaku series were done by same company and one of the characters looks almost like Light. It is a set of small different stories which cover variety of topics and have hidden meaning behind. Some stories are better that others.

Bungaku Shoujo is quiet seriouse movie though you might want to watch OVAs first. It's about a boy who pretended to be a female author but because of some incident had stopped. If you are to watch OVAs, you might want to miss second OVA for now and watch it after the movie.

Elfen Lied are seriouse series about special kind of human who get bullied in society and went berserk. A lot of blood and nudity but no hentai.

Ghost Hunt are series about group of people that are hunting ghosts. Some cases are creepy and some tragic. A lot of thinking is involved, you learn new information.

Monster are detective series about a surgen who had saved a boy in the past. But now they has turned into a serial killer and surgen is determined to stop him.

Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom are one of my fave series. It is compared to DTB a lot since they both have similar masks and both main characters work for secret organizations. However, there are no super powers in this show, just guns. Series are about lifes of assasins.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin series are about group of people who became close friends while in prisoment. A lot of stuff and conspiracy had happened with them during the time in prison. Series progress further and show their lives after they got out. Really liked it.

Shiki are series about small village where people start to die all of a sudden. Epidemic is suspected but is it really the case? Another one of my faves.

Steins;Gate are series about time machine and about how some small things can change the future in a lot of ways. The real thing kicks in after episode 12.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni
are series about a guy who is stuck in the house playing game with a witch. He has to prove that all the crimes happening in the house could be done by human without magic. A lot of bloody and gross stuff here though.

Bonuses!
Baccano! series have a lot of humour but also a lot of action and some blood. However, the best point about the series is the way story is put together. A simple train robbery turns into a wild ride where things are different from what they seem at first.

Berserk are series about group of bandits who are trying to get to the top. A lot of strategic battles going on, interesting story and characters. First episode is meh but it starts to get better later.

Ga-Rei Zero are series about two best friends. The main theme is "Would you kill someone you love because of love?" There is some typical anime humour but somewhere after episode 5-6 things strat to get different colour.

Madoka Magicalooks very deceiving at first but don't let those cute girls confuse you. After episode 3 you will realize that things are not that fluffy looking.

Sword of the stranger is a great movie with epic soundtracks and sword action. Story is pretty simple though.

Usagi Drop are series about a guy who had taken in a small girl and now he has to take care of her. This are lighthearted series.

Hope that helps and that you will enjoy some of them^^
Old 2011-11-16, 20:33   Link #3
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Cant beleive you left out Code Geass
Old 2011-11-16, 20:34   Link #4
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Maybe Durarara ?
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-16, 21:58   Link #5
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Can't think of similar anime, but for j-drama or manga, i highly reccommend liar game. It's an even more convoluted version of death note.
Old 2011-11-17, 00:35   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

LOL, every few months, we get the "Something like Death Note" Thread^^...It was actually cool that when Death Note ended it's original run, Code Geass was just coming out so it was a perfect transition, but sorry THERE ARE NO SHOWS LIKE DEATH NOTE T_T other than Code Geass S1 (S2 isn't the same way though)...Liar Game is close, but it's live action...

For something cynical and dark I'd suggest Tokyo Tribe2, but that may be a bit too violent for your tastes for watching with hubby unless yall cool like that (Doubt Netflix has it anyway), but if you wanna watch something great that you both can enjoy and just for kicks it stars 2 female heroines, try Mitchiko E. Hatchin...It's visually great, great action, and a touching story about the journey of a runaway convict trying to return the daughter of a man she loved...Yeah sounds sappy, but it's not, it's cool as hell and dark as hell in the closet...It's also the closest thing to Cowboy Bebop if that means anything to you...

If you just want brain farts (The level of Darker than Black and perhaps Speed Grapher), try Ergo Proxy, and The Big O..If you'r brain hasn't split open after watching this than watch Paranoia Agent take two Tylenol, and PM me in the morning...

These shows were made to eff your brain up...
Old 2011-11-17, 14:32   Link #7
kitten320

Ah yeh, Code Geass totally slipped through despite me thinking about it while typing...
Old 2011-11-17, 14:40   Link #8
hyl
sneaking like a cat

There is a manga that is somewhat quite similar to death note (so much that i would almost call it a bad rip off): Lost+Brain
Old 2011-11-17, 18:08   Link #9
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

go watch liar game. it's j-drama but the pacing is goood... it's not draggy.

first 2 eps are okay. from episode 3 it's very funnn
Old 2011-11-17, 18:14   Link #10
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
watch Paranoia Agent take two Tylenol, and PM me in the morning...
God i hated that show it was full of paedophiles and they're was that off sceen rape moment when that guy said "call me daddy" to that girl.

Made me drop it asap........
Old 2011-11-17, 19:25   Link #11
Mitsuke

Thank you

for great suggestions. I'll definitely check them out. You guys are awesome!!
Old 2011-11-17, 21:35   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
God i hated that show it was full of paedophiles and they're was that off sceen rape moment when that guy said "call me daddy" to that girl.

Made me drop it asap........
I can't really recall what you're talking about since I haven't seen the show in atleast 6 years, but never once have I had a discussion about this show and hear be characterized the way you just mentioned...The show is a crazy mindf**k, but it's far more entertaining than what you are describing...
Old 2011-11-18, 11:01   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuke View Post
I love Death Note a lot and looking for animes similar to it. My husband and I just started watching animes on Netflix. We have streaming and DVD access.
I never could get very far into Death Note, but that never kept me from making recommendations before!

Quote:
I'm looking for something cerebral, cynical and dark. Set in Tokyo is a plus. We also like to watch it in Japanese with English subtitle but it doesn't matter too much.
Netflix has most of the Funimation catalogue if I'm not mistaken, but from talking with one anime fan who uses Netflix, I hear it carries only the Funimation dubs. Funimation's shows are also available on YouTube and Hulu with subtitles. Hulu also has subtitled shows from other licensors like VIZ, and Crunchyroll has only subtitles (I believe). Most of us here also download unauthorized "fansubs" using Bittorrent, but I'll stick to complete shows that are available via Netflix or streaming.

The Tokyo angle is a bit limiting, so I'll start with shows that are located in other settings.

Like kitten320, I'll also suggest Monster, a dark psychological drama set in Eastern Europe soon after the fall of the Berlin Wall. At 74 episodes, it's a substantial commitment, but you'll find yourself wanting to watch each episode as soon as the last one is over.

Baccano! is a story about gangsters and immortality set in Prohibition America. It's got a large cast and a complex method of story-telling. The first episode may not grab you right away, but give it a couple more episodes before deciding whether to stick with it.

You might also like Claymore, a tale about a bevy of beautiful women who fight monsters. It's set in fictitious land that looks like medieval Europe.

House of Five Leaves concerns a small group of petty criminals at the end of the samurai period. (No ads in the YouTube version!)

Oh! Edo Rocket is set in Tokyo, but it takes place in 1843-44 when it was called Edo. It's a satirical look at political repression and based on a stage play. Some of the characters are actual historical personages.

For more modern settings, I'll recommend Dance in the Vampire Bund, an amusing take on vampires set in Tokyo. The protagonist is a centuries-old vampire who looks like she's eleven (slightly NSFW). Because she appears nude or nearly nude from time to time, the version on Hulu has some censoring that's not in the original telecast or on Funimation's DVD release.

You might also like Eden of the East which opens in Washington, DC, then returns to Tokyo. A young amnesiac discovers he's part of a complex secret organization trying to control events in Japan.

My last suggestion from Funimation's list is Welcome to the NHK!, though sadly only the dub is available at Hulu. The protagonist is a "hikikomori" in his early twenties who depends on contributions from his parents to maintain his stay-at-home lifestyle. One day a strange young woman appears on his doorstep and offers to "cure" him of his condition. Some episodes are wildly funny, others are quite depressing.

Finally let me suggest Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, which is only available in fansubs or on illegal streaming sites. It follows two children who attempt to return home from a robot show after an earthquake hits Tokyo.

If you hover your mouse over the gallery of images in my signature, you'll get some other recommendations.