AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-05, 08:02   Link #261
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Oh don't worry, i'm fully councsious of how an insufferable abusive bratt Louise can be(it's below Shana and Taiga in my list for a reason xDU), i'm just not ignorant of her capability to be a good person(as a girlfiend she's horrible but as a knight/servant is totally awesome, such pride, loyalty, dignity and sacrifice coming from the untalented little lady is kind of endearing, we can say i like Louise's professionalism xD).

And as i pointed out earlier, Arf lacks most traits related to Louise's berserk buttons, the fact that Arf is also a girl also gives her more freedom to call on Louise for her behavior(i really doubt Arf will take Louise's abusive master bullcrap, seeing that will be infinitely funny xD).
There are probably quite few points I'd like to bring out , and I had a full write up on the plot drafted on another board - Spacebattles.

My basic view of Louise is basically that the Hill of Swords is Correct. Louise is not irredeemable , and has the capacity for being not only a good decent person , but being a great women in her own right provided that she has the right mentors. That's where her familiar will come in. A four decade old Arf who has likely raised quite a few mages herself probably will be able to handle Louise.

There are several mitigating factors that would of course ,remove most of the initial tension between Louise and Arf , but that's provided that Arf is summoned in her Wolf form , and not her human form.

If , she was summoned in her human form , and because of the unusual nature of Louise's magic , unable to shape-shift immediately , then the dynamics would be a little different from the start , since Louise will be assuming she summoned a human , and not a shapeshifting Magical wolf. Indeed . to prevent the initial summoning from being a Curbstomp of Plasma Lancers and Axel Shooters , or even Struggle Binds ,

Still , my main obstacle , if Arf was unable to shift back to her wolf form right-away is whether she'll decide to correct Louise's initial presumptions , or play-along. Theoretically though , if we are talking about an Arf a decade or two after Force , it'll be reasonable to conjecture that she has baby-sitted and essentially played a crucial role in raising quite a few children. And frankly , some of Louise's antics early antics can be seen as very childish indeed. Arf might well call Louise right out on it .

I think Louise's immaturity will be an in-joke between those two for a long time, even if the cold tantrum she more or less threw when she realized she summoned a human , in any ZnT crossover and in ZnT canon itself probably isn't representative of what she could easily be like if her Familiar wasn't a provocative , offensive idiot from her viewpoint.

The other issue of course , is that of power-conversion. Under the Nanoha ranking system , what will dots , lines , triangles and squares correspond too? And is Louise a mage of similar setup and type to Hayate - only Hayate with Zero Divider Magics , Thoma Style....

I actually pegged , in my planning for Louise to be a E ranker of over SS potential -on par with Hayate Yagami. However , below the void mages , even mages like Karin the Heavy Wind will likely lose to mages of the level of Subaru , Teena or Erio . Let's not talk about Lutecia , Caro , or any of the Three Aces. Karin likely rates AA at best.

And that's before you take into account how much more primitive Halkagenian Magics is compared to Nanoha-verse Mid-Childan and Belkan Magic systems. Starlight Breaker or even Diabolic Emission are spells of unimaginable complexity and potency by ZnT standards , which might even exceed what Void Mages can do.

I have quite long write ups on the conception of the ZnT crossover idea. Would it be best to take it to Xovers , or to the Fanfiction instead at this stage?

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-01-05 at 08:24.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 08:25   Link #262
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Even if arf were summoned in human form, it's doubtful she'd have hidden her ears and tail, so it would be obvious that Louise did not summon a normal human immediately regardless.

But continuing on this, it could build on Arf's feelings from the manga. In the manga, she explains that the child form we see in StrikerS is something she did on her own to limit her mana drain on Fate, as she realizes that Fate doesn't really need her protection anymore. And while Arf would never abandon Fate, there is a good motivation for her to stay and at least keep an eye on Louise.

This is good, because given that the Nanohaverse does dimensional travel on a regular basis, the "I can't return to my own world" plot goes out the window. Instead, Arf would contact Fate and the two could come to a conclusion that staying for a while might not be such a bad idea for a variety of reasons, like Arf finding her own purpose and goals in life, being a liason between Halkeginia and Mid Childa, learning more about the world to establish a good base for first contact, there's a good amount of reasons and motivations for Arf to stay.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 08:32   Link #263
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Even if arf were summoned in human form, it's doubtful she'd have hidden her ears and tail, so it would be obvious that Louise did not summon a normal human immediately regardless.

But continuing on this, it could build on Arf's feelings from the manga. In the manga, she explains that the child form we see in StrikerS is something she did on her own to limit her mana drain on Fate, as she realizes that Fate doesn't really need her protection anymore. And while Arf would never abandon Fate, there is a good motivation for her to stay and at least keep an eye on Louise.

This is good, because given that the Nanohaverse does dimensional travel on a regular basis, the "I can't return to my own world" plot goes out the window. Instead, Arf would contact Fate and the two could come to a conclusion that staying for a while might not be such a bad idea for a variety of reasons, like Arf finding her own purpose and goals in life, being a liason between Halkeginia and Mid Childa, learning more about the world to establish a good base for first contact, there's a good amount of reasons and motivations for Arf to stay.
Yes , I forgot about that part. I'd imagine the best way to Nerf Arf until later on will be though to restrict her abilities via the Familiar born early on. The first to probably return is her Strike Arts skills , I think. Does anyone know which Nanoha magics are generally considered more advanced than others ? I'd assume that Barrier is a high level spell of great complexity , while Strike-Arts are actually relatively simple in comparison.

Another element of this idea though ,(and this is probably a major one) was to have Fate removed from the equation , possibly in the same manner as Zest, in that her body gradually fell to bits after her mid thirties due to Cloning problems. So Arf has lived with a terminal Fate for at least a year , if not as much as half a decade in my conception of this cross-over. And Arf summoned soon after Fate is dies.

Obviously , Arf should disappear by rights , but given the terms of her Contact with Fate , it's possible for Fate to keep her alive by transferring Arf to another Mage - Erio , in the fic planning. After all , if Fate knows she is going to die , I'd think she'll try her best to make arrangements for Arf to live on after her death if possible. Indeed , she might well Command Arf on this matter.

Which brings the third element of the idea. The TASB realizes that one of their most senior Infinite Librarians has been Shanghaied by a Green Over S Grade Portal. The political fallout might be considerable.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:11   Link #264
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Blagh, too much drama for my tastes. Especially as only a plot device to have Fate out of the picture.

Nerfing Arf is relatively simple. Her power depends on how much mana she gets from her mage, if Louise subconsciously restricts the amount of mana she gets (lack of confidence and such), her power would decrease.

As for complexity... There's no clear chart on this, but Yuuno noted flight to be an elementary spell in the first sound stage. Though given that none of the forwards can fly, this may since have been retconned.... Yeah, not all that helpful I guess...
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:13   Link #265
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frozen Hell of the North
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Maybe to the Scrya clan, flight is a rudimentary spell that they all learn almost as soon as they can walk?
__________________

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:17   Link #266
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Blagh, too much drama for my tastes. Especially as only a plot device to have Fate out of the picture.
That's just the back-story of the plan. I really don't plan on dwelling on it in the fic. From the viewpoint of the characters , making a drama out of this is most disrespectful to Fate's wishes so... (and I personally think it's perfect IC, so there.)

What I probably want to explore in the fic is not those dramatic elements , but rather TASB first contact and assimilation procedures , especially of other Magical Civilizations. Especially one on the brink of an apocalypse.

The second is to try my skills in pulling off what the Hill of Swords did and many ZnT cross-overs aim for - giving Louise a mentor/Onee-sama to unlock what she can possibly be. Instead of a Wish Fulfillment expy of every Generic harem protagonist that has ever exist.

Quote:
As for complexity... There's no clear chart on this, but Yuuno noted flight to be an elementary spell in the first sound stage (though given that none of the forwards can fly, this may since have been retconned)

Yeah, not all that helpful I guess...
So I can just create my own Fanon conception as I wish there? Hmm , did the Magic and Technology thread had any discussion on such things? How do you search a thread that long anyway?

By the way , Flight is something I'm quite troubled with. After Striker S , Teena likely could fly , but was Subaru always reliant on her Wing Road for flight? What of Erio? Did he finally learned how to fly? After all , he is of a high enough mage rank here.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:22   Link #267
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
That's just the back-story of the plan. I really don't plan on dwelling on it in the fic. From the viewpoint of the characters , making a drama out of this is most disrespectful to Fate's wishes so... (and I personally think it's perfect IC, so there.)
That's even worse in my opinion, just killing of a character to have her out of the way. In the case of Fate, it's not even needed, since she would only encourage Arf on whatever endeavor she decides to go on. Sure, she'd miss Arf, but Fate being Fate she'd encourage her regardless.

Which still leaves a perfect opening to explore the first contact and mentor scenario's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
So I can just create my own Fanon conception as I wish there? Hmm , did the Magic and Technology thread had any discussion on such things? How do you search a thread that long anyway?
Be very specific with your search terms and hope for the best.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:26   Link #268
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
That's even worse in my opinion, just killing of a character to have her out of the way. In the case of Fate, it's not even needed, since she would only encourage Arf on whatever endeavor she decides to go on. Sure, she'd miss Arf, but Fate being Fate she'd encourage her regardless.
Pointed noted on that . I'll reconsider that idea , though I must admit , I was partly inspired by a Fic that attempted to explore what happens if Fate went the same way as Zest..... and asked myself the question: what happens to Arf in that scenario?

Though one wonders whether Louise's contract will supersede Fate's prior contract. Though mind you , Arf's contact with Fate is as liberal as it can be....

One more thing I forgot to mention. I came up with four near simultaneous plots going on , tied together.

The first of course , explores Arf in a mentor style familiar role for Louise. This is the primary plot , where Arf replaces Saito and as a result creates numerous butterflies right from the start.

The Second explores what happens back in Mid-Childa , on a political level. From the TASB view , one of their more senior and experienced Infinite Librarian has been kidnapped and gone missing to a little known and remote dimension. It's definitely a cause for concern , at certain high places in the TASB. Not to mention the sheer numbers of influential people in the TASB that Arf was at least an acquaintance of.

The third explores the concept of disaster profiteers - if Halkagenia is on the edge of an apocalypse , and certain parties are aware of it , on the level of the ground - ie investigative level.

The fourth explores the practice of Hostage exchange , or more specifically , one hostage that the Church of Brimir exchanged with the Saint Kings Church - none other than Tabitha's twin sister. And indeed , sending her to Mid-Childa supposedly places her out of the hands of King Joseph. Unfortunately , certain parties believe that they can reap massive profits from the success of his agenda...

Obviously , the last three probably be where the Nanoha part of the Cross-over features most strongly , and could likely be another standalone fic just easily on it's own . The first is where the Cross-over most obviously occurs.

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-01-05 at 09:37.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:37   Link #269
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Pointed noted on that . I'll reconsider that idea , though I must admit , I was partly inspired by a Fic that attempted to explore what happens if Fate went the same way as Zest..... and asked myself the question: what happens to Arf in that scenario?

Though one wonders whether Louise's contract will supersede Fate's prior contract. Though mind you , Arf's contact with Fate is as liberal as it can be....
I think it would. A Nanoha familiar contract is one of mutual agreement, whereas a ZnT contract is forced upon the familiar to the point of brainwashing.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:39   Link #270
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I think it would. A Nanoha familiar contract is one of mutual agreement, whereas a ZnT contract is forced upon the familiar to the point of brainwashing.
If Fate is alive , she might take alot of issues with it - privately , of course.

Still , if Arf draws from Louise's manapool , she probably won't have the ability to access the full breath of her arsenal from the get-go due to Louise's unusual Magics. Indeed , the Void Could well resemble Thoma's Zero Effect , and if Arf recognizes it , that might raise some of her hackles from the get-go. The question then is how I should lift the restrictions , and get them lifted slowly without falling into the "New Powers as the Plot Demands" scenario.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:43   Link #271
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Pointed noted on that . I'll reconsider that idea , though I must admit , I was partly inspired by a Fic that attempted to explore what happens if Fate went the same way as Zest..... and asked myself the question: what happens to Arf in that scenario?
That would be best done outside of a crossover, focusing on the emotional impact. In a crossover, you lose that focus due to the focus lying on two worlds colliding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
The first of course , explores Arf in a mentor style familiar role for Louise. This is the primary plot , where Arf replaces Saito and as a result creates numerous butterflies right from the start.

The Second explores what happens back in Mid-Childa , on a political level. From the TASB view , one of their more senior and experienced Infinite Librarian has been kidnapped and gone missing to a little known and remote dimension. It's definitely a cause for concern , at certain high places in the TASB. Not to mention the sheer numbers of influential people in the TASB that Arf was at least an acquaintance of.
Considering Arf can and will contact Fate ASAP, it's doubtful this will lead to anything bad. Indeed, it's more likely everyone will see this as an opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
The third explores the concept of disaster profiteers - if Halkagenia is on the edge of an apocalypse , and certain parties are aware of it , on the level of the ground - ie investigative level.
Not sure where this would be heading though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
The fourth explores the practice of Hostage exchange , or more specifically , one hostage that the Church of Brimir exchanged with the Saint Kings Church - none other than Tabitha's twin sister. And indeed , sending her to Mid-Childa supposedly places her out of the hands of King Joseph. Unfortunately , certain parties believe that they can reap massive profits from the success of his agenda...
Given that Helkaniga is completely isolated, I'm not sure how (or more importantly, why) this exchange would occur.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:49   Link #272
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

Given that Helkaniga is completely isolated, I'm not sure how (or more importantly, why) this exchange would occur.
Because the Saint Church keeps a presence in many worlds even beyond TSAB space. Sometimes quite far beyond. And the Pope of Romalia has been in correspondence with the Saint Church.....

And also , I'm drawing inspiration here from many other ZnT Crossovers which brings in elements from the Cross-over world into the ZnT-verse . Most commonly in the identifies of the alternate Familiars of the other Void Mages.

For example , the Pope summoned a fairly powerful Mage of the Saint Church by mistake, replacing Julio. Arf wasn't the first in the TSAB to get to Halkagenia by far , and some of Halkagenia's resources , like the Wind-stones are very... interesting. And Sheffield... let's just say that this Sheffield is technically persona-non grata in TSAB space for good reasons.

So , Halkagenia is not as isolated as it seems , but is more of a world just someways outside the edge of TSAB's sphere of influence , and just within the Saint Church's field of influence. Barely, and quite recently at that.

Not to mention that Halkagenia has quite alot of Lost Logias lying around...

Quote:
Considering Arf can and will contact Fate ASAP, it's doubtful this will lead to anything bad. Indeed, it's more likely everyone will see this as an opportunity.
Problem is , how is Arf going to contact from such a huge distance? Her telepathy wouldn't reach out that far. The nearest presence of any communications point to the Core of the TSAB (and this far out , only Saint Kaiser Churches posses the necessary tools for such things) is likely hundreds of kilometers south , in a small Saint Church outpost in Romalia , secretly there on the invitation of the Romalian Pope.

And the other problem is that the Archives for Halkegenia are proving very elusive to find , outside of the Saint Church's records (and for a very good reason). So , there's going to a period where the TSAB will be devoting some effort in identifying where Arf was whisked off to precisely , and Arf has no idea of the Saint Church's presence until after the Battle of Saxe Coburg , at earliest. The fact that there are gaps in the archives concerning Halkegenia further raises suspicions.

Because if certain parties in Mid-Childan space got wind of Halkagenia , it's impeding apocalypse , it's lost-logia caches and the huge business opportunity it represents (despite it's remoteness, Windstones and Firestones likely would find a ready market in Mid-Childan space , until the TSAB declares them lost-logias at least and restrict trading)... well , let's just say if they have their way , Halkagenia will burn , and they will make a tidy fortune from looting it's carcass.

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-01-05 at 10:00.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 10:07   Link #273
WarpObscura
Bibliophile
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: There's this dot on the world map...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
This is good, because given that the Nanohaverse does dimensional travel on a regular basis, the "I can't return to my own world" plot goes out the window. Instead, Arf would contact Fate and the two could come to a conclusion that staying for a while might not be such a bad idea for a variety of reasons, like Arf finding her own purpose and goals in life, being a liason between Halkeginia and Mid Childa, learning more about the world to establish a good base for first contact, there's a good amount of reasons and motivations for Arf to stay.
If this is the same guy I think he is, I posed that exact concern. Can't find the response though.
__________________

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 11:09   Link #274
Sunder the Gold
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Arf has displayed the ability to initiate a Dimensional Transfer from "high" Dimensional Space (where the Garden of Time was hiding, which is different from the space that the Arthra traveled through) to a planet she is familiar with.

Arf has not displayed the personal ability to teleport from one planet to another. Nor has Fate. So, first of all, interplanetary teleportation might simply be an entirely different ballgame than teleporting to a place within subspace.

Second of all, it is possible and even highly likely that the Garden of Time had its own teleportation machinery which would aide authorized users in the task of exiting and entering the Garden of Time, and that Arf was still authorized at the moment she blew her way out of the Garden.


As to the matter of communication, no one has displayed the ability to telepathically communicate with someone on another planet without the aid of a TSAB spaceship or the Book of Darkness. So calling for a pick-up isn't going to happen either.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 11:16   Link #275
Sunder the Gold
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Maybe to the Scrya clan, flight is a rudimentary spell that they all learn almost as soon as they can walk?
That's assuming that "flight" refers to "high-speed aerial manuevering" rather than simple "levitation", which is supposed to much more accessible.

Otherwise, yes, that's sort of my theory.

It avoids a more dramatic retcon, and jives with how Yuuno's flashback shows him surrounded by a bunch of people in similar barrier jackets.

My specific theory is that Yuuno is an exceptionally talented aerial mage raised by mages who had already learned to fly, and doesn't realize that he's exceptional because they've "always" been better than him.

Kids grow up thinking that his parents are bigger and stronger, but sometimes parents are short and don't exercise, and their very-athletic kid grows up taller than them.

Eventually the child has to re-evaluate his previous notions of size and strength, but before he realizes he's surpassed his parents, he thinks nothing of his talents unless someone tells him otherwise.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 11:52   Link #276
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
This is good, because given that the Nanohaverse does dimensional travel on a regular basis, the "I can't return to my own world" plot goes out the window. Instead, Arf would contact Fate and the two could come to a conclusion that staying for a while might not be such a bad idea for a variety of reasons, like Arf finding her own purpose and goals in life, being a liason between Halkeginia and Mid Childa, learning more about the world to establish a good base for first contact, there's a good amount of reasons and motivations for Arf to stay.
There's a way to counter this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Arf has displayed the ability to initiate a Dimensional Transfer from "high" Dimensional Space (where the Garden of Time was hiding, which is different from the space that the Arthra traveled through) to a planet she is familiar with.

Arf has not displayed the personal ability to teleport from one planet to another. Nor has Fate. So, first of all, interplanetary teleportation might simply be an entirely different ballgame than teleporting to a place within subspace.

Second of all, it is possible and even highly likely that the Garden of Time had its own teleportation machinery which would aide authorized users in the task of exiting and entering the Garden of Time, and that Arf was still authorized at the moment she blew her way out of the Garden.


As to the matter of communication, no one has displayed the ability to telepathically communicate with someone on another planet without the aid of a TSAB spaceship or the Book of Darkness. So calling for a pick-up isn't going to happen either.
This.

ZnT's world may be far beyond TSAB's known dimensional "map" or even hidden from their scope making difficult to do dimension travel save for Familiar contracts or that weird Eclipse thing that makes a direct portal to Earth(which was another unknown planet until that spaceship crashe a few decades ago and Graham found that injured mage).

Also we musn't forget the convenient "memory erase" spell that comes with the familiar contract, Saito barely remember from whgere he came from and only started to recover memories because his familiar contract was broked once. That could erase the need of "killing" Fate by cloning degeneration or whatever as also denying Arf of knowledge about her or how to contact home.

About Louise's mana pool we have a strange case here, she have a very incredible mana pool, it's just that the overspecialized nature of her magic doesn't allow her to use it for nothing else but Void magic(any other attempts result in explosions xDU). But the idea of Arf streching the level of her mana capabilitioes from Luise's emotions mentioned by Keroko is an interesting way of nerfing Arf as also a way of giving her a much needed superboost when facing an impossible challenge(kind of like Shana, at normal state she's a decently powerfull one-on-one flaming swordfighter ....but when she's excited, she can obliterate freaking gods and small cities like nothing ...i've seen her spamming streams of flames big and devastating enough that cause damage comprable to a Starlight Breaker. Of course, i don't think Arf will reach such a level xDU).
__________________
May 29 2010-2014

...4 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 12:02   Link #277
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Still , those nerfs could easily be Late-game Nerfs. In the early-game , I can forsee Arf being forced to re adapt her magics to Louise's unique Mana Pool.

Besides emotion , belief might also play a part. If Louise Believes that Arf can unleash Ragnaroks , Diabolic Emissions and Reinforce Grade Starlight Breakers , Arf might be able to do it (albeit with alot of nasty after effects , no doubt). Of course , those are not spammable , but still , just one of those titanic spells are enough at ZnT powerlevels.

Just a few more thought though. Will the Contract erase Arf's spell repertoire along with memories of Fate? That is something rather unusual by the standards of ZnT crossovers , mind you.

Secondly , let's presume Arf was summoned with an Intelligence Device personally crafted for her , or at least a Storage Device. How broken and hax will the Gandalfar runes make her?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 12:20   Link #278
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Problem is , how is Arf going to contact from such a huge distance? Her telepathy wouldn't reach out that far. The nearest presence of any communications point to the Core of the TSAB (and this far out , only Saint Kaiser Churches posses the necessary tools for such things) is likely hundreds of kilometers south , in a small Saint Church outpost in Romalia , secretly there on the invitation of the Romalian Pope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
As to the matter of communication, no one has displayed the ability to telepathically communicate with someone on another planet without the aid of a TSAB spaceship or the Book of Darkness. So calling for a pick-up isn't going to happen either.
We have yet to see a limited range for magical communication, though. Dimensions have been crossed by magical communication seemingly without effort repeatedly throughout the series. And there was no sign that this communication was supported by anything other than the mages themselves.

Ditto for transportation, really. I don't see where these limitations come from. We've seen people teleport to different dimensions. There's even a spell that specifically does just that. We've seen Fate use it, we've seen Arf use it (while badly injured no less), we've seen the Wolkies use it. It's there, it exists.

Additionally, I don't see why the "Arf is trapped with no way back" plot has to be there. This is a unique opportunity for a ZnT crossover to distinguish itself from the majority. Every ZnT crossover pulls the "can't return" card as a plot device for having the character stay. In the case of Nanoha, we have a whole myriad of reasons to explain why Arf stays without pulling that card.

It also creates new potential. For example, with a familiar that could leave her whenever she damn well pleases, Louise could be forced to grow up faster, or at least act differently towards Arf than she did to Saito, who really at first only stuck around because he had no other choice.

There's an opportunity for creativity here, why squander it by trying to follow the crowd?
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 12:28   Link #279
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
We have yet to see a limited range for magical communication, though. Dimensions have been crossed by magical communication seemingly without effort repeatedly throughout the series. And there was no sign that this communication was supported by anything other than the mages themselves.

Ditto for transportation, really. I don't see where these limitations come from. We've seen people teleport to different dimensions. There's even a spell that specifically does just that. We've seen Fate use it, we've seen Arf use it (while badly injured no less), we've seen the Wolkies use it. It's there, it exists.

Additionally, I don't see why the "Arf is trapped with no way back" plot has to be there. This is a unique opportunity for a ZnT crossover to distinguish itself from the majority. Every ZnT crossover pulls the "can't return" card as a plot device for having the character stay. In the case of Nanoha, we have a whole myriad of reasons to explain why Arf stays without pulling that card.

It also creates new potential. For example, with a familiar that could leave her whenever she damn well pleases, Louise could be forced to grow up faster, or at least act differently towards Arf than she did to Saito, who really at first only stuck around because he had no other choice.

There's an opportunity for creativity here, why squander it by trying to follow the crowd?
The key is not "Can't Return" , but "can't return immediately." There's surely a range limit for Dimensional Transfer , and I don't think Arf is going to be an instant expert with her new mana source. Plus , there are those runes. Unless we are going to assume that No Limits applies .....

But yes , Arf can leave anytime , and probably will realize it once she understands that she is in the same Dimensional Sea. I think the real issue is that any ZnT Nanoha crossover , where anything at all from Nanoha is summoned depends on the relationship between Halkagenia and the TSAB . How well charted is Halkagenia , for one? At what stage is the level of contact between Halkagenia and the TSAB?

Still , if one was to go by Nanoha Force , it's clear there are Range limits to Dimensional Transfer and Communications. Else , why would the Churches of the Saint King , outside TSAB space serve as primary gate-ways and communication nodes to the wider Dimensional Space?

Here's one more fascinating thought: what if Louise ends up with the TSAB as a result of a sequence of events that started with a Nanohaverse Summoning?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 12:30   Link #280
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Dimensional Transfer does have one known limitation, but distance is not it. Dimensional Transfer's only known limitation is the time it takes to transport the spellcaster to his or her desired location. As for Church space, that's just on Mid-Childa. It's essentially a different country on the planet, and not in a separate dimension, given that the actual Belkan home world was destroyed.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.