AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-13, 21:33   Link #181
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

So far, Tanuma definitely got a lot much closer to Natsume than before. He is now fully aware why Natsume never wants him are any loved ones getting involved in any matter involving youkai. I guess his bond with Natsume is so much stronger now too.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 22:09   Link #182
Kirarakim

This episode definitely didn't live up to last week's (but it's pretty hard to beat Sensei masquerading as Natsume).

Even though this was the a 2 parter it hardly felt like it with the change in tone and Natsume getting out of that bottle fairly quickly.

Probably the best part of this episode was the developing relationship between Natsume & Tanuma. Tanuma is always so quiet but I am glad that he spoke up in the end and shared how he felt with Natsume.

And of course it's always nice to see Natori. I like that he told Natsume not to give up on forming human relationships.

Next week looks like it might be a Natsume light episode...not sure how I feel about that. I mean it looks interesting but I need my weekly Natsume fix.
Old 2012-02-13, 23:47   Link #183
sergel02

I love Tanuma and he's my favorite character, so it was nice seeing their friendship get stronger. Personally i would love if he's in every episode. I like seeing them get closer.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 23:53   Link #184
webkid94
*Author

Poor Tanuma, he finally sees Youkai and it has to be a pretty traumatic experience with all of that blood. I think this episode had just as much blood as Mirai Nikki usually has which says a lot lol (ironic that Akira Ishida is in both series, as Natori and Akise no doubt.)

More Tanuma, definitely Taki as well. I miss her cool/natsume-ish personality in season 2.

Next week, a backstory ep on a very minor character we know little about. That's interesting.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 03:58   Link #185
Haak
F**k my life...

That next episode preview was...scary...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 06:55   Link #186
warita
Dai-Youkai

Too bad the quality of the second part doesnt compare to the first part. Somehow, the episode felt flat.... nothing really happened, just running around the house and hiding from a killer Youkai. It felt like the whole episode was just an excuse to build a stronger friendship bond with Tanuma and thats great, but they could have made the background story a bit more entertaining. I can think of numerous way they could have made the episode interesting, they could have expanded a little more on the barrier and warped space in the house..... they could have included secret passages, optical illusions and what not. They could have also elaborated more on the lower youkai characters..... but alas they didnt.

Ah well, at least I keep the first part in memory. It was one of the best of the whole series.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 11:03   Link #187
White Manju Bun
WHY DOESNT SEMPAI LIKE ME
*Author

Good epi, always nice to see Natori and Nyanko-sensei as Reiko (though I agree it wasnt as good as him as Natsume). I did like his evil laugh at the end when he said he'd eat any remaining yokai

Tanuma's my fave character and I love how he keeps learning little things about Natsume, like when he saw the blood he understood a bit more why Natsume doesn't tell Touko about it.
- 11th Doctor.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 13:50   Link #188
Kirarakim

I am not a big fan of Tanuma usually but he impressed me a lot in this episode. He's always so quiet so I imagine it was hard for him to confess like that to Natsume, to say he wanted to help but then to apologize because he thought he might have been more of a burden. That took a lot of courage I thought.

And I think even Natsume doesn't open up like that yet. I mean yes he had that panic attack where he confessed how scared he was about Tanuma but I am not even sure if Natsume was aware he was speaking his heart out in front of Natori and it was more something he couldn't control coming out.

Okay originally I wanted Natsume to tell those he was close with his secret so he could see he would get acceptance, but obviously the problem is deeper than that. He isn't just afraid of acceptance but he is afraid he would bring them into something dangerous. Still I think even if they weren't aware of the danger there are people who will rush in & want to save Natsume (and let's face it he puts himself into danger a lot)
I think in some cases not telling people could also put them into danger. And I remember Tanuma reflected that Natsume doesn't tell his foster parents because he doesn't want them to be scared sick, but if something happened to him they still would be scared sick.

Ultimately I think Natsume has to learn to depend on his loved ones more. He wants to protect them well he needs to learn to accept their protection. He loves them but they love him too. And why is it okay for Natsume to only put himself in harm's way?

Of course this whole thing makes me love Natsume even more gahhh!
Old 2012-02-14, 16:05   Link #189
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I confess that it's a big baffling to me why Tanuma is so popular, outside of the fujoshi appeal. I definitely like him and he's a good character, but the characters on this show are so strong that the percentage who list him as favorite always seems to outstrip the appeal of the character itself. Compared to most of the cast I've always thought he was pretty vanilla, but to each his own.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 19:28   Link #190
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person

Okay, cultural enhancement time... or perhaps it's "stupid question time." Take your pick.

What's the significance of the masks that so many of the spiritual beings wear? I also remember a time or two when Natsume went to a youkai-party of some sort, and had to wear a mask so that no one would know he was human. I've always guessed that it had something to do with the Shinto religion, but I have no idea what it is.

Does anybody know?
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 19:34   Link #191
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Okay, cultural enhancement time... or perhaps it's "stupid question time." Take your pick.

What's the significance of the masks that so many of the spiritual beings wear? I also remember a time or two when Natsume went to a youkai-party of some sort, and had to wear a mask so that no one would know he was human. I've always guessed that it had something to do with the Shinto religion, but I have no idea what it is.

Does anybody know?
I dont know.... but here is my guess. Ever wondered whats written on the paper? The subs dont bother translating it.

But there are different types of youkais. There are animal youkais (such as my super cool avatar), there are natural phenomena youkais..... and there are impersonificated human emotions such as hatred, fear, etc..... a lot of negative emotions when too strong can actually materialise in the form of a youkai.

So coming back to your questions.... I thinkt he youkais that appear to be humanoid, but wear a mask are materialised emotions of some sort, especially the ones who wear paper over their faces. The fact they have a human body signalises their origin from humans (in contrast to the animal youkais or the natural phenomena youkais), but at the same time the mask distinguishes them from humans.

But thats purely a theory of mine. Maybe somebody will have a better explanation.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 21:35   Link #192
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Actually it's mostly because the manga-ka just really thinks they're cool. I think the character on Natsume/Tanuma's masks was 目 (me) which means eye, the ones on Natori's to me looked like 人 (jin) which means person, both of which would make sense here. I don't think all of the symbols on the masks are necessarily kanji though, I think the one on the swallow girl (from waaaaaay back in the first season) was just supposed to be a picture of a bird (but if anyone here actually knows Japanese, I really only know the basics, please correct me).

Oh and scan things, courtesy of Livejournal
Spoiler for looooots of images:

Last edited by wandering-dreamer; 2012-02-14 at 22:10.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 02:30   Link #193
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I confess that it's a big baffling to me why Tanuma is so popular, outside of the fujoshi appeal. I definitely like him and he's a good character, but the characters on this show are so strong that the percentage who list him as favorite always seems to outstrip the appeal of the character itself. Compared to most of the cast I've always thought he was pretty vanilla, but to each his own.
I actually don't care that much about Tanuma myself. I mean he's a good friend, but it's not like I jump for joy when he's part of an episode. Actually enjoy seeing more of characters like Taki, Natori, and some of his youkai friends. Not that I dislike Tanuma, he's had some good moments and development through the series.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:44   Link #194
Kirarakim

I like Tanuma but as far as human guest characters I do rank Taki & Natori higher.

And I also always love Natsume's interaction with his two guy friends (I always forget their names) who don't know about his ability but still obviously care deeply about Natsume.

But as far as the story goes I think Natsume probably does feel the closest to Tanuma.
Old 2012-02-15, 09:41   Link #195
White Manju Bun
WHY DOESNT SEMPAI LIKE ME
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
I confess that it's a big baffling to me why Tanuma is so popular,
Cuz I like dark haired guys and people with health issues.... Yeah Im shallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post

Oh and scan things, courtesy of Livejournal
Spoiler for looooots of images:
Oh I love that scan! I wonder if there's a clean version. Nyanko-sensei looks so evil
- 11th Doctor.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 06:07   Link #196
Tworble

This is my favorite episode this season;
Spoiler for Episode 7:

Funny the talk of Tanuma; This arc raised him in my estimation and if things continue to develope the way I hope he will become even more interesting to me.
Tworble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 08:37   Link #197
blewin

The last part of the episode re-affirms Natsume's determination and the difficulties of the path he has chosen to trend. The experience and Natori help to clear his confusion, and that is actually one big step in his growth. This is not just about his relationship with Tanuma, but how he sees himself as a human with relations with both worlds.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 10:02   Link #198
julez
Tsundere-chan

Rather than Tanuma being a favourite character of mine, I like watching his bond with Natsume grow stronger as they overcome obstacles together. When you think about it, he is like Natsume's first real friend who isn't as involved with youkai but knows of them, and the challenges that Natsume goes through on a daily basis. Instead of being frightened by Natsume and the world he's involved in, he notices and admires Natsume's strength and kindness.
I find it endearing that he wants to help Natsume any way he can and not be a burden. He also understands Natsume's feelings very well, picking up on the fact that his helping might have unknowingly caused Natsume more stress than relief when he stepped in to help. This is why he ends up being the friend that Natsume needs but is scared to have because of the high risk of danger.
Ah what else can I say, except that I love this show
Old 2012-02-17, 12:48   Link #199
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, there I agree - Tanuma's most interesting feature is his friendship with Natsume, which is unique in the series so far. We don't really get a chance to see Natsume interact with anyone else his age who can understand a little of what being Natsume feels like.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 14:33   Link #200
Kirarakim

I also enjoy Natsume's friendship with Tanuma but then I enjoy every aspect that further develops Natsume so that's not a surprise

Actually I think Tanuma being so quiet himself (besides the whole knowing of Youkai's existence) is why Natsume feels so comfortable with him. That is one thing that separates Natsume's friendship with others (because Taki is also aware of the youkai). But Tanuma & Natsume have somewhat similar personalities & I think they feel close because of that.

Tags
fantasy, shoujo