AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-27, 04:44   Link #1
bigsocce

Your top 5-10 anime of 2010

Similar to the

Your top 5-10 anime of 2009

Your top 5-10 anime of 2011 thread

This is for 2010. Anywhere from 5 to 10 is fine.

Last edited by bigsocce; 2011-12-26 at 11:30.
Old 2011-11-27, 13:36   Link #2
raduccio

Not in order:
Katanagatari
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Nodame Cantabile - Finale
Durarara
Baka Test

I'd add Cross Game and FMA-B but they started in 2009
Old 2011-11-27, 14:58   Link #3
Echoes

I wrote a long post about this in the appropriate thread last year, and seeing this thread, I went back and edited it a bit to account for the 2010 shows I watched after the year had ended. I'll copy-paste that here, hopefully it'll be of some help to you.

Spoiler for long post is long:
Old 2011-11-27, 15:36   Link #4
poisui

Nothing really "stood out" in 2010.

If I had to choose, this is my top 10 in this order:

#1) Maid-sama
#2) Ochinko
#3) TWGOK
#4) MM!
#5) Kiss X Sis
#6) [n/a]
#7) [n/a]
#8) [n/a]
#9) [n/a]
#10) [n/a]

Series watched:

- Angel Beats! [Finished]
- Bakuman [Finished]
- Fractale [Finished]
- Gosick [Dropped]
- Kaichou wa Maid-sama! [Finished]
- Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai [Finished]
- KissXSis (2010) [Finished]
- Mayoi Neko Overrun! [Dropped]
- MM! [Finished]
- Motto To Love-Ru: Trouble [Finished]
- Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janaindakara ne!! [Finished]
- Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai [Dropped]
- Yosuga no Sora [Dropped]
Old 2011-11-27, 17:10   Link #5
mecharobot

Tatami Galaxy
Katanagatari
Heartcatch Precure

That is my take on worthy TV anime of 2010. Tatami Galaxy and Katanagatari are both rather experimental with some interesting dialogue patterns and Heartcatch was a surprisingly easygoing show with really good action animation (not counting the transformation scenes) and soundtrack. It even won the award for the best character design of 2010.

Non-TV anime:

Arrietty
Uchuu Show e Youkoso
Gundam Unicorn

All these are pretty decent in terms of procution values. Especially Gundam Unicorn is top of the line in terms of mecha action. Then again, it will likely take to the end of 2012 to finish. Arrietty and Uchuu show are family movies and watchable as such, but nowhere near the genre greats.
Old 2011-11-27, 18:01   Link #6
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I didn't watch much in 2010 leading to

1. Durarara

Very distant runner ups in the name of Angel Beats, Ore no Imouto, and Yosuga no Sora. :S

If we go outside the realm of tv series Gundam Unicorn was great though, though it was yet to be finished. There were also good movies like the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Nanoha the Movie 1st (Though only works if you are a fan of these respective series), Bungaku Shoujo, and Time of Eve
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-11-27 at 18:17.
Old 2011-11-27, 18:13   Link #7
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
TV series top:
Katanagatari
Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Working!!
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Amagami SS
MM!
Angel Beats
K-On!!

Movie animes:
Bungaku Shoujo(Literature Girl)
Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st
Time of Eve
Old 2011-11-27, 22:58   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I had to consult my list of nominees for the 2010 Choice Awards to remind myself of last year's shows. (It was not a very good year for anime in my mind.) Based on my nominees I'll list, in no particular order:

Summer Wars
House of Five Leaves
Cross Game (if it counts)
Nodame Cantabile Finale
Higepiyo
Hanamaru Youchien

I recommend browsing the Choice Awards threads if you're interested in doing a little historical research.
Old 2011-11-30, 14:46   Link #9
Flower
Celestial operations....

For those interested in a really lengthy listing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anime_of_2010

That being said, my fave series of 2010 (in no particular order) include: Amagami SS, Ore no Imouto, TWGOK, Kaichou wa Maid sama, K-On

OVAs: Hiyokoi, Tamayura

Movies: Arriety the Borrower, Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi, Bungaku Shoujo
Old 2011-12-02, 11:31   Link #10
Dawnstorm

1. Katanagatari
***Masterpiece cut-off point***
2. Kuragehime
3. Durarara!!!
4. Working!!
5. Amagami SS
6. Otome Youkai Zakuro
***Favourites cut-off point***
7. So Ra No Wo To
8. Ore no Imouto...
9. B Gata H Kei
10. Hanamura Yochien

There are some shows that might make it into this list once I get around to watching them. I'm thinking of House of Five Leaves and Tatami Galaxy (maybe). All in all, 2011 was a better year.

EDIT: Wait, The World God Only Knows should be in there. Put it at (8.) kicking out Hanamura Yochien (poor Kindergarden ).
Old 2011-12-03, 13:00   Link #11
Ermes Marana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
1. Katanagatari
***Masterpiece cut-off point***

This.

There are some other shows I like such as Tatami Galaxy (2nd best of the year), House of Five Leaves, Magic Kaito, Durarara, Cross Game (if I hadn't read the superior manga I would have liked it more), Summer Wars, Arrietty... but only one show is going to stick around in my all time favorites.
Old 2011-12-05, 04:16   Link #12
Raiga
tl;dr

In no particular order (for the most part), and obviously only what I've seen (there's highly recommended shows I still need to check out):

So Ra No Wo To
Fullmetal Alchemist
Tatami Galaxy
Durarara!!
Working!!
Bakuman
Ika Musume
Old 2011-12-05, 19:42   Link #13
Flower
Celestial operations....

You know - I should add one other series. But with the qualification that it was a personal favorite of mine - not one I would necessarily call "one of the best" of 2010: Mayoi Neko Overrun!

I really, really liked the story and the characters, and wish the LN were available in English....
Old 2011-12-05, 21:18   Link #14
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
You know - I should add one other series. But with the qualification that it was a personal favorite of mine - not one I would necessarily call "one of the best" of 2010: Mayoi Neko Overrun!

I really, really liked the story and the characters, and wish the LN were available in English....
The characters were all pretty good in it, sadly there was so much else wrong with the show .
Old 2011-12-05, 21:24   Link #15
Flower
Celestial operations....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
The characters were all pretty good in it, sadly there was so much else wrong with the show .
Yes indeed - but I actually liked the story premise itself, and when it would get "serious" it was at it's best for me. And more often than not this centered around the "non-humorous" parts - mostly on the act of "taking in" either Chise or Nozomi "into" the Stray Cats.

The eps of Grand Braver, Jenga and such, while mainly humorous and what not, really did not add much to the story imo. Iirc the eps each had different directors, which partly accounted for the huge erratic feel to the series as a whole.
Old 2011-12-07, 20:27   Link #16
Aquillion

I agree with what people have said about Katanagatari -- it's the only show from 2010 that I'd actually recommend to a non-anime fan, and it's the only one that really stood out to me as something new and different (which is ironic -- I almost didn't watch it, since its concept sounded so generic.) There were some other good shows, but they were all "a decent example of [genre]", while Katanagatari really felt like something unique.
Old 2011-12-08, 12:47   Link #17
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Again using wiki's definition of anime from 2010, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anime_of_2010, 2010 was not a really standout year except for 1 series

In order as i see it
1) K-On!, undisputed top of the bunch. Its winning attributes are its absolute positivity mixed with comedy. Its sequel in 2011 was only dethroned by a rare anime called Madoka

2 by some distance) Angel Beats!, a bipolar series, it requires you to be mentally flexible, a good memory of what was previously explained many episodes ago and have at least some empathy. Lacks the tightly focused approach of K-ON

3) Seikimatsu Okaruto Gakuin - A male main character that is pretty much a coward backed by a tough female main character. Interesting storyline though the 2nd to final revelations with either have you exclaiming or calling it an asspull. Final revelation is very obvious and last episode's climax is not as strong

4) Shinryaku! Ika Musume - A comedy series, it is funny with good characters but as expected, lacks a real storyline. Other than a single stalker type character, its a very clean series. It also adds some memorable variety with a no-dialogue portion in the middle of the series. Stronger than its sequel

Remaining contenders (all with noticable problems)
Arakawa Under the Bridge - Good characters and some good jokes. However, its overaching plot (if you can even call it that) is never really touched on much. The characters are pretty loony in 1 or 2 facets of their life but you can understand why they are so as their backstories are told

Tamayura - Very laid back series that focuses on relaxation and a journey towards understanding. It is however no match for K-On as it lacks the jokes and is laid back enough that some will call it slow. People who like Natsume Yuujinchou may find this to their tastes

Sora no Otoshimono - A mainly comedy series with a minor drama focus, its male main character is utterly honest and open on his desires for normal human women but shows a bravery on par with shonen characters when things call for it, even though he has absolutely no ability other than a good heart. Jokes tend towards the ridiculous and ecchi side

Working!! - A comedy series, it gets repetitive with the violence but pulls through with the introduction of an excellent character called Yamada. Absolutely carried by its cast as its storyline is a slice of life style

Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai - Another comedy series that plays on the shame of those labeled as anime otaku, it expects the viewer to already be aware of some things or the jokes may not be as funny. Also the feelings implied by the brother and sister pair may be excessive for the comfort of some viewers

Mayoi Neko Overrun! - Another comedy series, this is relatively average with a premise of helping cats. In another year, this would be definitely rated average and no higher but for 2010, its animation and good execution of an average storyline gives it a major boost
Old 2011-12-08, 14:51   Link #18
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
1 Katanagatari
2 Durarara!!
3 Angel Beats! <- I swear this was 2009. X___x *breaks into every website on the internet and changes it to 2009*

Yes only three I thought was okay. All the anime's I watch and like are old animes I haven't yet discovereed.

I can't quite remember what I've watched and disliked but I dropped over a dozen of animes. I have had very low tolerance in past few years.
Old 2011-12-08, 18:11   Link #19
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Only two really worth listing from 2010 personally;

1. Maid Sama.
2. Katanagatari

In that order. Not the best year for anime, but those two are some of the best anime in recent years, so I guess it made up in quality what it lacked in quantity.
Closed Thread